PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

TamiParrington
September 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Contented sigh.

I've finally gone and done it. I started yet another genre, and have finished my first short story in it. It's a hottie, and a fun read. Now I have to decide something on a more serious note.

Do I develope yet another pen name to cover this genre?

What say ye who hold many pens? Does it truly help to divide your genres? Do your readers cross-over anyway? If they do, do you find it is still appreciated that you keep your works seperated?

Does it help having different pen names if you let everyone know it's still you?

Do you feel it weakens your marketing ability to have so many different pen-names, where you could be building one on a stronger level using all your tools to create that one rather than several?

Whew, okay lots of questions for a Saturday morning, but something that is very important to me at this time. So I truly appreciate any and all help, and suggestions.

Karenne
September 17th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I don't think so. I think having the same name for both 'types' of books is better. Kind of like...cross referencing readers to your other 'types' of books. Besides..as a reader...I lose some of my writers sometimes when they go under a new name. I don't know they have another name and if I enjoy their writing, I will try out the new genre.

That is my two cents!

By the way...Way to go!:balloon:

Mary E
September 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm gonna get in trouble here but I like the split idea . I am probbly the only person alive who was annoied that JD Robb's real identity came out. Now the romance section of my bookstore which is way to small in my opinion to begin with has jd robbb in it.

Not that i dont love her but but when i want romance i want romance when i want eve dallas I dont mind walking over to the mystery/dective section :)

I hope that helps

TamiParrington
September 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Mary, no mobbing here. I appreciate the input. That's one of my major reasons for doing the splits I've done. I have a following for my mainstream romances, and I'm not to terribly sure a lot of them would be thrilled to by an erotica just because my name is on it, only to be shocked at the content. LOL... now some of them would, but I don't want to offend even a couple.

Karenne, I deeply understand your point too. That's why the quandry here. I don't want any readers who DO want to know when I write 'hello' on toilet paper, (LOL) to end up loosing track of where I am, and what I'm doing.

I really think it makes it the best of both worlds if I do change the names to suit the genres, yet do not hide them. I can see your point there too, Mary, but can't help what bookstores do. If JD Robb is a huge seller, putting her in the romance section to boost sales in that area is probably smart marketing on their part, even if it does cut space for the real romances.

Such an issue. LOL

Karenne
September 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
:pinch: Good Point Mary! I didn't even think of that. Hmmm...I am not going to be much help Tami. Maybe writing in a different name for the different genres is a good idea. But you could have a place on your site for your 'friend' other author...or you could have a link to the new site.

Sheesh..I just don't know.

jennzilla
September 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Do I develope yet another pen name to cover this genre?

What say ye who hold many pens? Does it truly help to divide your genres? Do your readers cross-over anyway? If they do, do you find it is still appreciated that you keep your works seperated?

Does it help having different pen names if you let everyone know it's still you?

Do you feel it weakens your marketing ability to have so many different pen-names, where you could be building one on a stronger level using all your tools to create that one rather than several?

Great questions!

I too have that problem. So far, mine have all been light, semi-light romantic comedies. Ok, I've only got two. :) One's a bit naughtier than the other, but the next one I've got coming out is a LOT more graphic, and has no humor in it at all.

I'm with you, you know. Heck I can barely promo one name, much less two. But I too worry that my reader (the non plural is intended here ;) ) will be bewildered, angered, or in the case of my relatives, freaked the heck out!

If you don't mind, let me know what you ultimately decide and good luck on your submission.

Congrats!!!

:rockon:

TamiParrington
September 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Well, together with the comments from here, my blog, and my group I've decided to go ahead and take a new name, and to not 'hide' it was me along with the others.

Now:

Stay tuned for the poll to help me decide on what the name will be. I'm going to compile a list of names and ask everyone's help to decide what it should be. :)

Edited to add with a laugh: Yeah, Jenna, 'Laugh til it hurts' would be kind of a cruel slogan for say, dark erotica. ROTF.

Sapphire Phelan
September 19th, 2006, 09:48 AM
I have two names. Sapphire Phelan was started for the erotic paranomral/scifi/fantasy romances. Pamela K. Kinney does horror, fantasy and science fiction and will have a nonfiction ghosts and legends of Richmond, Virginia by Schiffer Books too. I even have two dark erotic fantasies by this name to be coming out in an anthology, Beyond the Blackened Mirror; Tales of Dark Romance by Coyote Moon Publications, but that's because it was before Sapphire and I signed the contract as Pamela. This anthology is to come out sometime this year. http://www.coyotemoonpublications.com/?q=node/18
I am just keeping these two and no more though.

Sapphire Phelan