PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Romances

dkeratsis
September 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Hello All (or Nobody as it appears I'm the first post)!

I'm a fan of contemporary romance, especially those that have a little twist of history or paranormal elements to spice it up a bit. I also write them. If you're a fan of the genre, I hope you'll check out the review of my latest, Kicking Sideways, here at Coffee Time Romance [URL="http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/Kickingsideways.html"] and maybe give the book a read.

But to start a discussion, what's your favorite contemporary romance and why? It's a little dates but mine continues to be Judith McNaught's Paradise. Matt and Meredith are forever emblazoned in my mind as the hottest romantic pairing. Ms. McNaught captures emotional writing probably better than anyone. That scene where Matt finally discovers the truth about his baby's fate...Wow. Alos gotta love Jenny Crusie's Tell me Lies. Cracks me up every time.

Dina

Karenne
September 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Hello!

Yes, this is a brand new board that I created on Friday. I am so glad you are here!

Charissa1
September 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM
If I had to pick a favorite contemporary novel, I think I am still going to have to leave The Corset Diaries by Katie McAllistair at the top. She has a full figured heroine, a hunk who doesn't give a darn and chaos and mayhem cinched together as tightly as the must wear corsets. I haven't laughed so hard reading a book in a long, long time.

If I had to pick a favorite contemporary novelist, it would be hands down Jennie Crusie. She is my idol! LOL I want to write like her when I grow up. A lot of her books have characters that are as real to me as my next door neighbors. They're fresh, she is wickedly witty and she knows the craft of writing.

MadisonChase
September 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well I guess I can't say my own book (Slow Burn) so I'll say... Craving Beauty. That was a fabulous book by Nalini Singh. :)

Karenne
September 21st, 2006, 06:43 PM
(looks at Madison) oh you mean your book that was released on my daughter's birthday?
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.madison-chase.com/blob?id=13&width=&height= (http://www.madison-chase.com/book_shelf/3-book_list?type=&id=3)</TD><TD vAlign=top>Slow Burn
July 28, 2006
Cobblestone Press (http://www.cobblestone-press.com/catalog/books/slowburn.htm)
Crystal Reed has been burned by love before. After her two month book tour, she meets sexy radio host Garrett Vartan. She's attracted to him like a moth to a flame. He teaches her how to follow her heart. Before long she's head over heels in love with the Texas transplant. But will her secret threaten their relationship?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This one? Hmm...you are better than I am...I would be screaming Yeah MY BOOK is the bestest!;)

Niftybergin
October 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Not sure I can come up with a favorite. Paradise, by Judith McNaught, is a good one. Same goes for JM's follow-up, Perfect. (I have to say I haven't much cared for JM's more recent work.) I'm a big Nora Roberts fan and since she generally only writes contemps, I've got a lot to choose from there. I've got a soft spot for Honest Illusions, but several of her trilogies really worked for me, too. Especially the Eastern Shore/Chesapeake Bay trilogy and the Born In trilogy. Linda Howard is another good one. I don't always care for the suspense angle. I wish that authors would focus more on relationships and romance and back off of the suspense, and I've "lost" several of my former favorite authors who went to romantic suspense land and never returned. (Coulter, Johansen, Brown, Hoag.) But back to Linda Howard, I'd say the one that springs to mind is Mr. Perfect. Funny damn book. Does Son of the Morning count as a contemporary? The first half of the book is contemporary, at any rate. It's probably my favorite LH book. Jenny Cruisie's Bet Me was a sheer delight. Oh, and I have to admit to a certain perverse and inexplicable attraction to Elizabeth Lowell's oldies like Too Hot to Handle and Chain Lightning. I'm not sure why I like these books, and I'm not at all sure it's a healthy affection. The men are such jerkwads, and I'm embarrassed for myself for making such a confession. But I'm 35 and those books still make my glands sit up and take notice. Weird, huh?

dkeratsis
October 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I loved Son of the Morning! Yeah, that qualifies as contemporary, I think. And Bet Me was indeed brilliant, though I'll always love Tell Me Lies as that was the first Crusie book I read and it opened up a whole new world for me. I also love Roberts's Chesapeake trilogy. I go back to those tales in my mind and sometimes get a hankering to live down there!

I do miss Judith McNaught's straight contemporary romances, and I totally agree that we need more. Plain old love isn't boring and when done right, I think you get more character depth. Characters become immortal.

I'm a new writer so I've been experimenting a bit. My first book, Charlesgate, is a contempoary paranormal where the characters were as important as the plot. My second, Kicking Sideways, is a traditional contemporary romance and I found that the whole thing was character driven and I had to really get into the hero and heroine's heads. Not saying I did it right, of course:) but it sure was fun trying!

But, oh, for another Paradise!

Niftybergin
October 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I do miss Judith McNaught's straight contemporary romances, and I totally agree that we need more. Plain old love isn't boring and when done right, I think you get more character depth. Characters become immortal.

This past summer I went on a kick where I was visiting the UBS frequently and buying old categories. I think that what was working for me about them is that they tend to focus more on the relationship. They have to, because of the shorter format. Yes, many of them DO incorporate a suspense angle (for instance), but if the book is done well, the suspense takes a backseat to the relationship. In single-title contemporary romances being published today, I often feel that the romance takes a backstage to whatever plot device or angle is being used to establish conflict. I read romances FOR THE ROMANCE. I don't read them for the supsense. I want to read about a couple getting together, dealing with their attraction to one another, getting to know one another, overcoming whatever compatibility issues that stand in the way of their HEA, and then getting that HEA. I'm okay with suspense as window-dressing in a romance story, but I'm not okay with romance as window-dressing in a supsense story -- not when I thought I was reading a romance.

Karenne
October 9th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hey I did see a book by Judith McNaught on the book shelf...Every Breath You Take. Have you checked it out? I think it is new...I did find this..

Unforgettable characters, sizzling romance, and riveting suspense: These are the trademarks of beloved author Judith McNaught. With millions of devoted fans and ten New York Times bestsellers to date, McNaught is a writer whose work just gets better with each new novel–and Every Breath You Take is the book readers have been waiting for. Returning to the lavish Chicago setting of her popular novel Paradise, and revisiting some of that book’s characters as well, this story will captivate in inimitable Judith McNaught style.

High atop a snow-covered hill, the stately old Wyatt mansion is perched like a crown, its stone spires pointing upward, its stained glass windows glowing like colorful jewels. Such opulence means success and, surely, happiness. But on the eve of wealthy philanthropist Cecil Wyatt’s eightieth birthday, all the money in the world won’t bring back his missing grandson, William Wyatt. The only thing for certain: Foul play was involved.

The family, the police, the media–all have tried in vain to discover the young man’s fate. Now suspicion has turned shockingly toward William’s own half-brother, the rather distant and enigmatic Mitchell Wyatt.

Kate Donovan never dreamed that a chance romantic encounter on a tropical island paradise would tag her as a suspect in a high-society murder case. But after Kate tangles with the darkly charismatic Mitchell Wyatt, she finds herself cast in a shadow of guilt and mistrust. As the Chicago police tighten their net, it will take all of Kate’s ingenuity to clear her name. With her calm, cool wit, and the help of a man who may or may not be a dangerous catch, Kate vows to claim the life and love she desires.

jennzilla
October 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
If I had to pick a favorite contemporary novel, I think I am still going to have to leave The Corset Diaries by Katie McAllistair at the top. She has a full figured heroine, a hunk who doesn't give a darn and chaos and mayhem cinched together as tightly as the must wear corsets. I haven't laughed so hard reading a book in a long, long time.

I agree. That book will make you snort milk out your nose. Er, only if you're like you know, drinking it at the time. It ain't a miracle, milk making book, or nothing. But that book is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. I don't even mean the full figured woman part, which is great, and Katie does do those quite a bit, as she's a big girl, herself. I love that she puts a real sized woman in a romance, but you forget the size of the woman in favor of the size of your belly laughs. I'm serious, this book will make you hurt yourself. My co-worker was reading this book in bed and looked up to see her hubby, son, and BOTH her dogs at the foot of her bed staring at her because she was hooting so loudly. She said, it made her sore the next day! Corset Diaries is fun, fluffy, goofy, and yes, so silly it hurts, but I'd recommend it to anyone that is feeling down. It's bright yellow cover alone makes you grin.

The premise is outlandish enough, with the reality TV series that puts people in the olden days. The duke falling for the heroine who OMG does something I could NOT believe (no spoiler for me) and the bad tempered daughter was great. From beginning to end, this is a laughfest. It's a historical within a contemporary.. love KatieMac's contemps, historicals, paranormals and her vamp series ain't too shabby either.

:chris: I've got the pirate one, Sgt Brie.. envy me..

jennzilla
October 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM
This has a sport hunk in it, and man he's cute. There is suspense and gossip involving the 'outing' of a sports agent, which I found sort of well, I didn't know what the big deal was, but then again, I'm not into sports, just the sports hunks. I've heard that athletes aren't marketable in romance. Why the heck not? They wear tight pants, work out, so they have muscles and wow, are they alpha or what? Ok, some take steroids, but think about it this way.

Movies:
Baseball
Charlie Sheen in Major League (whoa) He was cute! Tight pants.. *drool*
Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball *blinks* Ok, where was I?
Robert Redford in The Natural *ooh*
Kevin Costner in Bull Durham *hmm*

Football
Keanu Reeves in The Replacements--The scene with the Electric Slide was really fun. I even liked him in this, not just to look at either.
Scott Bakula in Necessary Roughness-- He had the sexiest limp ever!
Burt Reynolds in the first and in my opinion, only The Longest Yard. That movie was wonderfully dirty and showed some really nasty moments between the guards and cons that you don't see with the Adam Sandler version.

What did all these men have in common? Well, tight pants aside, though, I don't underestimate the power of a pair of those. A picture of my hubby holds a place of honor on my desktop in a pair of those and his high school football jersey with those great big.. shoulder pads. And his shirt doesn't quite meet the pants, so you get a peak at the abs, you know? :dots:

Sports hunks are just that, hunky, they're at the peak of fitness, taut well-oiled machines that a heroine can pounce on to her heart's content. And the heroine in Hot Item does just that, a lot. I love this book for this very reason, and the quirky supporting characters are just icing on a very juicy cake. Pick this book up and and give it a.. *smirks* sporting chance.

Coffee Time liked it too *coughs* :)

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/hotitem.html

maura
November 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I have to agree with you, I will buy anything with her name on it because no matter what the genre, I get a great story, and alot of humor!!!

troubledmood
February 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I never can pick a favorite..but all the ones you guys mentioned sounded good

ladybecklyn
March 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I really don't know what to do. I love lots of books. You all posted books I have never read.

Aline de Chevigny
May 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Shirley Jump is another contemporary author with a twist of Humor that I like. Hse always manages to add a few interesting recipes throughout the book.

Aline :biggrin:

cheri323
May 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Oh I love the books that can make you laugh out loud. My daughter has just started reading my books and when she laughs she reads it out loud to me and I get to enjoy it all over again. It's great! She is reading all the Susan Elizabeth Phillips right now.
But I really miss the emotionally moving ones where you really feel like you knew and cared about the people. One of my old favorites is Reason to Believe by Kathleen Eagle. She has turned more to Womens Fiction now I miss the old romances. I think the Romantic Suspense has more romance than the Womens Fiction. The more I think about it the more I don't even like the name Womens Fiction, I can read any old Fiction, thanks.

CloudHuggers
June 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
My favorites this week are the Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning. One day I will own them all for my Keep pile. :-)

Lainey
June 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
OH I LOVE HER and Adam Black ..woohooo that give fairy a good name as is Fae and Tuatha da ... haha... Daegus, Drustan, Cian, Circenn, Sidheach and Grimm and all I missed .. love those highlanders since it involves time travel and gets to be contemporary too ....

Christine Feehan and of course Sherrilyn Kenyon and all you mentioned before are great too oh yeah as far as milk snorting I think our own JENNZILLA wins for her Braless and that beautifully funny excerpt for Dateless... haha.. so you are contemporary too my dear and great stuff...

Lainey

Flesa Black
June 13th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Was just cruising around the site and saw this forum and thread. I had to jump in!

I have to say my favorite has been "Carolina Moon" by Nora Roberts, but her "Honest Illusions" was incredible, too. "Genuine Lies" was also great.

As far as books that make me laugh outloud, I still love "How to Trap a Tycoon" by Elizabeth Bevarly. Her mother just cracked me up.

I'm going to have to take some of these recommended read names and go shopping...much to Visa's delight. :)

lucky_pinay
June 16th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Some names that are mentioned here are authors I have never encountered before, I'll search in Amazon and see what I can buy

Aline de Chevigny
June 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
If you like Highlander books then don't forget Janet Chapman. I love her series.

Aline:lol:

Dewdrop
June 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I like the "Shopaholic" series by Sophie Kinsella, "Can You Keep A Secret," and "The Undomestic Goddess" also by Kinsella. "Goddess" pushed the envelope a little bit, IMHO, regarding the main character's response to her career crisis, but the story was enjoyable regardless.

Regina
June 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
My favorite contemporary authors are Linda Howard, and Lindsay McKenna. I love Linda Howard's books because she is so versatile in what she writes. I mean they are contemporaries but like Son of the Morning they are also Time Travels sometimes, and romantic suspense. I just love her!

Lindsay McKenna is my other favorite contemporary because like me she is Native American and writes about contemporary Native American characters. Also, what she writes is accurate both historically and present day. It's so refreshing to find another author who does that.

mexydent
July 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Names I know!!
Books I've read!!!

Home at last ..... thank goodness I'm home at last!!

:lol:

Mexy.

mskendra
July 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Nora, Linda H, and SEP are the best! Jennifer Cruise's "Welcome to Tempation" laughed so hard.

Some not mentioned....

Dallas Schulze - Not writing right now but she has an impressive backlist. Loving Jessie is a favorite! (doubled on one shelf *blush*)

Sharon Sala aka Dinah McCall - I love her Sharon Sala books Sweet Baby is a favorite.) I had her sign it at RT this year for me. It was a big thrill!

Elizabeth Lowell - older stuff Remember Summer and Desert Rain I like the new stuff it is just more suspense than contemporary romance.

My two cents ;-)

Anna Fallon
July 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Shirley Jump is another contemporary author with a twist of Humor that I like. Hse always manages to add a few interesting recipes throughout the book.

Aline :biggrin:
I love Shirely's and have only just discovered her on here at CTR. She joined not long after I did and after reading her excerpts I just had to online and order her books. Seeing as I seem to live in a place that is light years behind in what is hot in books these days.

Oh now I loved that book written by that drop dead gorgeous woman....oh what's her name again...oh you know her, she wrote that book about being in a car with a piece of underwear missing!

Oh yeah...Braless In A Buick LOL that's it!

THat was a very fun contemporary!

Deanne43420
August 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Big Nora Roberts fan here, and I have a hard time picking a favorite of hers because I love them all. I especially like the Irish Trilogy so I will say that is my favorite. ;)

Tricia Jones
August 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm a recent convert to Jennifer Crusie - Bet Me (fabulous), Crazy for You (even more fabulous) and now Welcome to Temptation. I'm reading it in bed and keep laughing so loud I wake up my hubby!

Also Linda Howard's To Die For and Drop Dead Gorgeous - just love that hero :tt1:

NessyPerth
August 18th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Big Nora Roberts fan here, and I have a hard time picking a favorite of hers because I love them all. I especially like the Irish Trilogy so I will say that is my favorite. ;)
yes i love nora roberts irish trilogy too. I also really love her circle trilogy (if thats the one with a vampire, shapeshifter, vampire hunter, witch, druid, and the young queen) Oh and the first nora roberts trilogy i read was the key trilogy. LUV IT.
LOL

NessyPerth
August 18th, 2007, 03:41 AM
My favorites this week are the Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning. One day I will own them all for my Keep pile. :-)
oooo i am there already, i have them all and my favourite is the adam black one. Now that is some hot fairy tail there. *sigh*

The only thing that ticks me off with those books is that all the female characters start off as virgin. I know its fiction but come on seriously!

elena.gr
August 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I love her Highlander series too. All the books are really well written and you never get bored.

The only thing that ticks me off with those books is that all the female characters start off as virgin. I know its fiction but come on seriously!
LOL yeah it is kind of unrealistic, but you can't have everything, right? Who'd be able to compete with these hunks anyway? It would have been a waste of time. ;)

Deanne43420
August 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Yes that is the cirlce trilogy and the Key trilogy was my first also.

carolsuz
September 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I think I would have to say Nora Roberts Trilogy Earth, Air and Fire, was and is one of my favorites.

MadisonChase
September 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I just picked up a Nora Roberts book the other day, but I can't remember the title. It's not a trilogy book I know that, but based on the recommendations it looks like I'm going to have to check it out!

CharmedGirl
September 18th, 2007, 12:32 AM
OMG Witch Fire by Anya Best is a great romantic book about a witch coming into her powers. The book focuses on the four elements - Fire, Water, Earth and Air. I totally recommend this book.

AngelaSteed
September 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
A Knight in Shining Armor Jude Deveraux is my favorite romance novel. It might not be total contemporary, but wow...what a great story.

jennzilla
September 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I LOOOOVE that book too! :wub:

Deanne43420
October 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Oh wow, so you've never read Nora? Well she also writes as J.D. Robb I highly recommend them as well.

Karenne
October 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
A Knight in Shining Armor Jude Deveraux is my favorite romance novel. It might not be total contemporary, but wow...what a great story.

Is that the one where she is in modern times and is crying in a....chapel or something? And poof here comes man from the past?

AngelaSteed
October 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Is that the one where she is in modern times and is crying in a....chapel or something? And poof here comes man from the past?

Yep, that be the one Karenne. It was the very first romance novel I ever did read. :notworthy:

Karenne
October 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I still have that one! I love it! Now I am going to have to take the rubber band off of it and read it again!

Thanks Angela!HugMe

jennzilla
October 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I had this book too. Loved it. Hmm.. I wonder where it is?

inness
October 15th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Contemporary has to be...Where the Cricket Sings...sex, drugs, and yes, you all know the rest!!!
And how about Tipping the Velvet very naughty, very Victorian!
Sarah

sabher
October 15th, 2007, 06:54 AM
WOW!!!! Thanks Inness, I never thought I'd find anyone who'd read it!Where the Cricket Sings was four years of hard work, deep thinking, and memories
I'm so glad you liked it.
Lynn Morrison

inness
October 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Hi Lynn or Sabher
I found you and your book when a friend recomended checking Lulu.com for new writers. To tell the truth it was the cover that took my eye at first. It looks almost post-appocoliptic, and it deals with a showbiz marriage breakdown, i guess it sort of is...
Thanks for a great read. I loved Danny, hated Jack, and the juries still out on Beth.
Inness