PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Garden

Karenne
March 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Hi!* My name is KarenneLyn, and I am a garden-a-holic

::)* Okay so if you don't know by now...I am a vegetable garden - a - holic!* Yes, as we speak...I have 20 roma tomato plants that are about 2 inches tall.* 3 heirloom cherry plants about 1/2 inch tall and I am looking at my seeds thinking "I need more tomato plants"

Yes, I actually said that!* Well, I did plant this weekend....so now is the time to plant your strawberries and your asparagus.* It is also time to make sure your cool weather crops are out and ready.* So put in that cauliflower, broccoli, sweet peas, spinach, lettuce, bunching onions (seeds) carrots (seeds) regular onions (bulb) beets and radishes.

Oh yes and those beautiful green beans!

shannon_anicas
March 22nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
My youngest (5 years) and I just planted our seeds last week and they are sprouting like crazy. We are limited on our size of our garden because we are in an apartment and we are moving this summer. We planted herbs, tomatoes and peppers. It has been fun doing this with Johnathan because his wide eyed look at everything makes me feel like a kid again ;D

Charissa
March 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Okay, I am looking for helpful hints on how to start an herb garden. Granted, I live in the upper midwest, so right at this moment isn't an option unless someone knows the best way to grow them indoors. I love fresh herbs to use in my cooking, so growing them would save me a heck of a lot compared to buying them in the grocery store. Sage is a biggie as well as basil for me.

Help??

mizging
March 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM
This probably isn't a good day for me to be checking out the forum pages, but since K asked me to, here I am. I haven't had a very good day...week for that matter. >:(

I'll tell you a little about my gardening experiences. I can kill a silk plant. I have a black thumb and couldn't grow a fake ficus. If I walk down the plant isle or through the nursery at Walmart, everything immediately wilts. Maybe I should take up trying to grow food... I'm sure it wouldn't work but it might be that long lost diet I've been looking for.

Love your positive attitude, though! :)

Ginger

jennzilla
March 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I love vegies. We always have a garden every single year. If I had to go a year without picking and shelling peas, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. As for what I grow in my little plot beside the house? Well, I have a gianormous rosemary bush, er, hedge, er, tree. I'm not exaggerating. The thing is like the Little Shop of Horrors plant. The last time I walked by it tripped me. I could have sworn it muttered the word 'drat' when my inherent grace *snorts* saved me from falling into its hungry clutches. Ok, going to bed now to sleep with the lights on.

Karenne
March 24th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Okay, I am looking for helpful hints on how to start an herb garden.* Granted, I live in the upper midwest, so right at this moment isn't an option unless someone knows the best way to grow them indoors.* I love fresh herbs to use in my cooking, so growing them would save me a heck of a lot compared to buying them in the grocery store.* Sage is a biggie as well as basil for me.

Help??*

Well you should do a 'kitchen garden' this is probably the best for ya. Do you have a window in your kitchen that gets sun light? Do you have any spot outside that is easily accessible from the house and gets lots of sunlight?

jennzilla
March 26th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I am lucky in that I live here in the south. It's getting warm now, time to plant. I don't have any shade for flowers that need it though, so I do the sun lover plants. At Walmart and other places, the tags tell you that. Loves full sun. Or Loves partial sun or shade.

Now for my question:

My wisteria bush won't bloom though, it just gets huge and green and bushy. Like an alien or something. I keep expecting it to get me because it grows up onto my porch.

Karenne
March 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Now for my question:

My wisteria bush won't bloom though, it just gets huge and green and bushy.* Like an alien or something.* I keep expecting it to get me because it grows up onto my porch.*

Hey! I bet it you need to add some stuff to your soil. Your plant is suffering from lack of minerals or vitamins or something. Has it bloomed there before and stopped? or just never bloomed?

jennzilla
April 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM
Never blooms, just grows hugely green and scary. Its getting something, but no blooms. I wanted the purple blooms! How dare they. :'(

Linda L Lattimer
May 31st, 2006, 05:35 PM
I cannot grow anything, I do believe it is not in me to touch anything that requires planting or growing. I still have packets of seeds in the bag. When I went to visit my youngest daughter, I could not get over her lovely flower garden. I was truly impressed, I thought she would never attempt to try anything with gardening but she has really surprised me. To all the gardeners out there I wish you all the best. I sure would love to see Karenne's garden and enjoy some of her lovely red tomatoes. I bet they are delicious!
:o 8) :) ;)

Karenne
June 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
You can do it Linda! I know you can. Start with a cactus....they have flowers!

Linda L Lattimer
June 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hmmm, had one Karenne, brought it back from Az and guess what, I think I may have really killed it. Bob use to say leave the gardening to him and the inside of the house to me - wish I lived next door to you for some of those great tomatoes
8)

Karenne
June 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Me too! I think (maybe) I might have over done it with my tomatoes this year :o

I have small green tomatoes everywhere! Awww..they smell so good!

Ohh...you should see some of the recipes that I posted. I posted one that you can make with stuff right from the garden.

I am thinking you should have an herb garden. What do you think of that? One Tomatoe and some basil around it.....nods..you could do it! :-*

Linda L Lattimer
August 17th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Karenne, can these herbs, when planted inside, be done any time of the year, or only in spring and summer? I saw some your recipes, wow, sensational. I can almost smell your tomatoes from your garden

Linda ;D 8)

Karenne
September 4th, 2006, 06:34 PM
If you have the right temperature and lighting in the kitchen, you can pretty much grow those anytime of year. If you get really cold, you might want to move them away from the window and leave the light on over the stove.

Karenne
September 8th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well I wanted to show you pictures from my garden (preens) Yes, this is my vegetable garden:

This is the main view:
Baby's bed (gords growing on the trellis)
My new strawberries
Cucumbers & Peppers:
My beloved tomatoes

Linda L Lattimer
September 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I am soooo jealous Karenne, the garden is absolutely lovely. I can almost reach out and touch the tomatoes. You are doing an awesome job, a five cup rating, honestly!!!

hugs Linda