PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Type of Promotion?

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Many authors that I speak with have concerns and struggles with their promotion. So, let's start on a positive note ----- what is your favorite type of promotion? What do you enjoy doing to promote your books? And, has it been successful for you?

Nikki Leigh

Teresa Noelle Roberts
March 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
I love doing readings and signings, but I suspect they're of limited value for anything other than something like poetry, where the hands-on approach is really helpful and there aren't so many other promo venues--that, unfortunately, I'm less comfortable with. I blog, do e-chats, have a MySpace that I sometimes even remember to update, but it's overwhelming. Readings and signings are social and personal and feel like "occasions."

Teresa Noelle Roberts
Lady Sun Has Risen (http://www.king-cart.com/Phaze/product=Lady+Sun+Has+Risen+by+Teresa+Noelle+Robert s)--just out from Phaze Books

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
I love doing readings and signings, but I suspect they're of limited value for anything other than something like poetry, where the hands-on approach is really helpful and there aren't so many other promo venues--that, unfortunately, I'm less comfortable with. I blog, do e-chats, have a MySpace that I sometimes even remember to update, but it's overwhelming. Readings and signings are social and personal and feel like "occasions."

Teresa Noelle Roberts
Lady Sun Has Risen (http://www.king-cart.com/Phaze/product=Lady+Sun+Has+Risen+by+Teresa+Noelle+Robert s)--just out from Phaze Books

Have you had good results with signings?? I've had a few local ones that I wasn't excited about :) In a few weeks, I'm going to be on a couple of panels at the Virginia Festival of the Book and usually a bookseller sells books - but they are letting us sell our own. So, I'm looking forward to that and since the conference is close to home, I'm hoping to make some contacts in that city. We'll see how that goes :)

Local libraries seem to like readings, but I think that depends on the person overseeing the events. The library in my town finally hired people to handle book buying and events - so I'm hoping they will get better :)

Nikki Leigh

JacquelineSeewald
March 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I never thought much about promoting a book in the past. I hoped the publisher would do it but it doesn't seem to work that way unless you're already famous.

With the publication of my seventh book of fiction, THE INFERNO COLLECTION, a romantic suspense mystery thriller with a touch of the paranormal, published by Five Star/Gale in hardcover at the end of June, I began to think differently.

I spent years writing what I believe is a very special book. I certainly didn't want it to be ignored. I was fortunate in that BOOKLIST gave the novel a great review and several well-known writers wrote terrific blurbs. But hardcover is difficult to promote when you're a relatively unknown author.

Five Star suggests personally contacting libraries. I did this. Since my heroine happens to be a librarian, I'm certain that helped. A number of libraries ordered my novel that might not have done so without personal contact.

I also contacted both state and local newspapers to ask if they would put a news release out. THE STAR-LEDGER and SUBURBAN here in NJ both ran interviews. I gave the SUBURBAN newspaper reporter a copy of the book since she asked and her interview included a wonderful review. She loved THE INFERNO COLLECTION and that was definitely a plus. I believe that initially helped Amazon sales.

I hope my experience will be useful to other writers promoting their books. I'm still learning myself.

Kristin Lawrence
March 4th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm just a beginner at promoting, but I think one of my favorite things thus far has been expanding my writing connections. It's been great to get out - virtually at least - and learn what other writers are doing and meet more readers.

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I never thought much about promoting a book in the past. I hoped the publisher would do it but it doesn't seem to work that way unless you're already famous.

With the publication of my seventh book of fiction, THE INFERNO COLLECTION, a romantic suspense mystery thriller with a touch of the paranormal, published by Five Star/Gale in hardcover at the end of June, I began to think differently.

I spent years writing what I believe is a very special book. I certainly didn't want it to be ignored. I was fortunate in that BOOKLIST gave the novel a great review and several well-known writers wrote terrific blurbs. But hardcover is difficult to promote when you're a relatively unknown author.

Five Star suggests personally contacting libraries. I did this. Since my heroine happens to be a librarian, I'm certain that helped. A number of libraries ordered my novel that might not have done so without personal contact.

I also contacted both state and local newspapers to ask if they would put a news release out. THE STAR-LEDGER and SUBURBAN here in NJ both ran interviews. I gave the SUBURBAN newspaper reporter a copy of the book since she asked and her interview included a wonderful review. She loved THE INFERNO COLLECTION and that was definitely a plus. I believe that initially helped Amazon sales.

I hope my experience will be useful to other writers promoting their books. I'm still learning myself.

Sending a press release to newspapers is a great way to get some exposure. It seems easier in small towns :) But, its a good thing to do with any paper - I like to target papers that are near me or near events that I'm doing. I've also done great with my local libraries, but haven't branched past those. Three of my books are set on the Cape Ann coast of Massachusetts near Gloucester and I would love to get my books in that library. The problem is that I never get a feeling person on the phone :) But, I keep trying :)

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm just a beginner at promoting, but I think one of my favorite things thus far has been expanding my writing connections. It's been great to get out - virtually at least - and learn what other writers are doing and meet more readers.

I've done all sorts of promotional work for about 16 years and networking is a great thing to do. Meet people who are in the field and doing well. This is also a great way to find partners for a joint venture project. A lot of authors do joint promotional projects - other businesses could learn from how great many authors work together :)

Nikki

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm still learning these promotional thingies...I'm not real sure how successful my distributing brochures, handing out business cards, adding it to my siggie in emails, joining author yahoo groups, etc. are...

I guess it takes a bit of time to find out, huh?

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm still learning these promotional thingies...I'm not real sure how successful my distributing brochures, handing out business cards, adding it to my siggie in emails, joining author yahoo groups, etc. are...

I guess it takes a bit of time to find out, huh?

Promotion takes time. There are some specialized examples of overnight promotional campaigns, but the successful ones are few and far between.

Handings out cards, circulating brochures, signature blocks - etc - all those things take time. There are many authors who have recognizable names, that didn't happen overnight and it took time for people to get to know their name, read their books etc.

I had a friend who promoted her book for a year and then basically gave up. I've been promoting mine since before I was published, so about 3 1/2 years at this point. I started early because I knew it would take time. There is a chapter in Book Promo 101 about when its too early to start promoting --- you could be surprised by some of the answers.

You need to keep working at promoting and be patient. Not the easiest thing you will do, but it takes time. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about a month or two :)

Nikki

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
LOL...Yeah, well, it's already been four months, so I'm hanging in there!

MM

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
LOL...Yeah, well, it's already been four months, so I'm hanging in there!

MM

You're just getting started :) I know people who had their first books released years ago and they are still learning their way around. Remember that over 250,000 new books come out a year - there is a lot of competition for the readers attention. If you read about the big name authors, very few "made it" in a short period of time. Its also fairly rare that it happens with one book. I've noticed a difference with each new book that's released. It all grows over time.

Nikki

Kelley
March 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Nikki,
I like doing online promoting via Yahoo groups. It's a great way to meet people all over the country and you don't have to leave your house. Book signings are fun. I do these at various Scottish and Irish festivals and my sales are high. One technique I learned from a fellow author is to hand out free bookmarks to people passing by. This has earned me many sales to people who would have just walked on by if I had not made the effort to speak to them.

Kelley
http://www.kelleyheckart.com

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hi Nikki,
I like doing online promoting via Yahoo groups. It's a great way to meet people all over the country and you don't have to leave your house. Book signings are fun. I do these at various Scottish and Irish festivals and my sales are high. One technique I learned from a fellow author is to hand out free bookmarks to people passing by. This has earned me many sales to people who would have just walked on by if I had not made the effort to speak to them.

Kelley
http://www.kelleyheckart.com

Irish and Scottish festivals is great and I do similar things with book marks and business cards --- get your name and book title in their hand. And, be sure that order info is on cards and bookmarks :) Make it easy for them to buy your books :)

Nikki

Jenna Bayley-Burke
March 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
My favorite kind is whatever seems to be working at the moment!

With my latest release, FOR KICKS, I scored an interview in my local paper. Will that help? I hope so...plus it was fun :)

I like guest blogging -- it is fun and as long as you are careful where you blog, has its own built in audience.

Yahoo Groups have never had much impact for me...I always wind up on the loops with the people asking when the giveaway is, and never see a rise in sales. The same thing with internet chats. I wish they were more productive for me.

Giving writing workshops to local writing groups seems to help with print sales, but not as much with ebook. I bring postcards or bookmarks with my book info. One group actually hosts a booksigning as part of the meeting.

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
My favorite kind is whatever seems to be working at the moment!

With my latest release, FOR KICKS, I scored an interview in my local paper. Will that help? I hope so...plus it was fun :)

I like guest blogging -- it is fun and as long as you are careful where you blog, has its own built in audience.

Yahoo Groups have never had much impact for me...I always wind up on the loops with the people asking when the giveaway is, and never see a rise in sales. The same thing with internet chats. I wish they were more productive for me.

Giving writing workshops to local writing groups seems to help with print sales, but not as much with ebook. I bring postcards or bookmarks with my book info. One group actually hosts a booksigning as part of the meeting.

I'm totally in agreement about Yahoo groups. They are a good way to communicate, but I really haven't seen any sales from them. However, I really like the ning.com networks and I have made some sales and contacts there. I have gotten a few sales from chats, but they were outside of Yahoo - those didn't really help me. Chats with specialized groups seem to work better for me.

If you like guest blogging, you would love doing a virtual book tour. If you ever want to do one, feel free to contact me :)

Nikki Leigh