PDA

View Full Version : Introduce Yourself

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
How would everyone like to take a minute and tell us a bit about yourself? How did you get into writing? Would you like to share some information about your books?

Nikki Leigh

Kristin Lawrence
March 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm Kristin Lawrence and I write romantic time travels, with a historical and a contemporary paranormal in the works. I suddenly realized that I've been so involved in writing and keeping the rest of my life going that I haven't gotten out of my little writer's shell to see who else is around.

The issue has become more critical because I have a novella coming out in the middle of March - I need to get out there!

I've always loved writing, but had a problem with completing things. After leaving my career track for the mommy track, I wanted something to do that was just for me. When my youngest children (twins) turned one, I started writing and I promised myself I would finish a manuscript, no matter what, and see how I liked writing.

Well, I finished one and I loved it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to make a career out of writing and the first step, for me, is to make my first publication as successful as possible.

Whew! Sorry, I wrote a lot. But you asked... :smilingsun:

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Great to have you with us. Its funny, but many days the writing seems like the easy part :)

Congratulations on your upcoming release - that's just around the corner. I see you have a website. That's a good first step. Do you have a blog? Do you want to let us know what sorts of things you're doing to get the word out about your release?

Nikki

Kristin Lawrence
March 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the congratulations! I'm excited. It was really fun writing my novella and I think it's a fun read as well. Satisfying for both author and readers.

I do have a blog and try to update it as much as possible, but it seems to be every two weeks that I get to it. The issue I find is driving readers to it.

I'm getting into some online lists - to feel more connected myself as well as introduce myself to readers. So far, my online connections have been mostly with other authors. I LOVE the authors I've met, but they're not all going to buy my books, plus they're not the only readers out there!

I'm identifying some review sites to send ARCs to and trying to keep up with my website. That's about it so far.

Any suggestions?

Kristin

Carol Beth
March 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
How would everyone like to take a minute and tell us a bit about yourself? How did you get into writing? Would you like to share some information about your books?

Nikki Leigh

My name is Carol Burge, and I write Historical Western Romance. I've always been an avid romance reader, but I didn't start writing until about eight years ago, just after my youngest flew the coop.

I'm not published, however, an epub requested a partial, and I've been getting it ready to submit. The dreaded synopsis is giving me problems, so, just as soon as I get that together, I'll send it in. :)

I've always had a website. I think I first put one up around 2001. I figure it's never too early to start getting your name out there. :) Last summer I started blogging, and I have quite a few subscribers. I have a MySpace page, Facebook, Shelfari, Gather, and I think that's it. Oh, and I belong to just about every romance writers list out there. If I do get pubbed, I figure at least I'll have a head start.

I'm looking forward to this class. If my luck holds out, the information I learn here will come in handy.

Congratulations, Kristin on your upcoming release!

~Carol

Visit My Blog, Romance Writer Woes
http://www.romancewriterwoes.blogspot.com

Teresa Noelle Roberts
March 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hi, I'm Teresa Noelle Roberts. I've written many erotic and erotic romance shorts and one co-authored print erotic romance (Cat Scratch Fever by Sophie Mouette, Black Lace Books). My first e-book, Lady Sun Has Risen (http://www.king-cart.com/Phaze/product=Lady+Sun+Has+Risen+by+Teresa+Noelle+Robert s), came out yesterday from Phaze, and I realize just how much of the promo for Cat Scratch Fever my fabulous co-author handled, and how much we brainstormed jointly. So I'm looking forward to picking brains.

Kristin Lawrence
March 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM

~Carol

Thanks Carol! I'm excited. Good luck with your synopsis. I can understand your dread! smilies/aah.gif

Kristin

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the congratulations! I'm excited. It was really fun writing my novella and I think it's a fun read as well. Satisfying for both author and readers.

I do have a blog and try to update it as much as possible, but it seems to be every two weeks that I get to it. The issue I find is driving readers to it.

I'm getting into some online lists - to feel more connected myself as well as introduce myself to readers. So far, my online connections have been mostly with other authors. I LOVE the authors I've met, but they're not all going to buy my books, plus they're not the only readers out there!

I'm identifying some review sites to send ARCs to and trying to keep up with my website. That's about it so far.

Any suggestions?

Kristin

The more often that you post on your blog, the better you will rank. A really easy way to increase your posts is to do interviews with other authors. I do a lot of that and it also helps other authors. If you would like to take a look at the options - the list is posted here -
http://muzesmusings.blogspot.com/2008/02/free-ways-to-blog-your-book-promotion.html

Posting comments on other blogs (high traffic blogs work very well) and always include your blog address in your signature block for exposure. It should also be on your business cards and on your website.

One note, when you post comments on other blogs, don't promo your book - be subtle and include your link in a signature block --- much more effective.

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
My name is Carol Burge, and I write Historical Western Romance. I've always been an avid romance reader, but I didn't start writing until about eight years ago, just after my youngest flew the coop.

I'm not published, however, an epub requested a partial, and I've been getting it ready to submit. The dreaded synopsis is giving me problems, so, just as soon as I get that together, I'll send it in. :)

I've always had a website. I think I first put one up around 2001. I figure it's never too early to start getting your name out there. :) Last summer I started blogging, and I have quite a few subscribers. I have a MySpace page, Facebook, Shelfari, Gather, and I think that's it. Oh, and I belong to just about every romance writers list out there. If I do get pubbed, I figure at least I'll have a head start.

I'm looking forward to this class. If my luck holds out, the information I learn here will come in handy.

~Carol

Hey Carol

Several of my books are historic suspense - and I love to read historic novels especially when they include actual places and events.

Congratulations on having an e-pub request your synopsis. They can be tough to write, but invaluable in getting that contract. I tried something new with the last synopsis -- I wrote it before I wrote the book. Then when the book was finished, I made a few adjustments to the synopsis and it was ready. It was so much easier than boiling a 400 page book down to a couple of pages :)

I'm published with an e-publisher and I'm very happy with the owner and the company. But, I must say, check out the company thoroughly before submitting to them. There is info about that and about how early you can actually start promoting in Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion. (My latest book :)

I agree that its never too early to start getting the word out.

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi, I'm Teresa Noelle Roberts. I've written many erotic and erotic romance shorts and one co-authored print erotic romance (Cat Scratch Fever by Sophie Mouette, Black Lace Books). My first e-book, Lady Sun Has Risen (http://www.king-cart.com/Phaze/product=Lady+Sun+Has+Risen+by+Teresa+Noelle+Robert s), came out yesterday from Phaze, and I realize just how much of the promo for Cat Scratch Fever my fabulous co-author handled, and how much we brainstormed jointly. So I'm looking forward to picking brains.

Congratulations on the recent release :) I'm checking Amazon hourly to see if my latest is available yet :)

Brainstorming promotional effort is so much fun and it can be very productive :) I look forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Nikki Leigh

Carol Beth
March 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
The more often that you post on your blog, the better you will rank. A really easy way to increase your posts is to do interviews with other authors. I do a lot of that and it also helps other authors. If you would like to take a look at the options - the list is posted here -
http://muzesmusings.blogspot.com/2008/02/free-ways-to-blog-your-book-promotion.html

Posting comments on other blogs (high traffic blogs work very well) and always include your blog address in your signature block for exposure. It should also be on your business cards and on your website.

Nikki Leigh

You're right. It does help.

I visit a LOT of agent and editor blogs, and I know they've returned the visit. When I leave a comment, I always leave my blog addy in my signiture.

Carol Beth
March 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hey Carol

Several of my books are historic suspense - and I love to read historic novels especially when they include actual places and events.

Congratulations on having an e-pub request your synopsis. They can be tough to write, but invaluable in getting that contract. I tried something new with the last synopsis -- I wrote it before I wrote the book. Then when the book was finished, I made a few adjustments to the synopsis and it was ready. It was so much easier than boiling a 400 page book down to a couple of pages :)

I'm published with an e-publisher and I'm very happy with the owner and the company. But, I must say, check out the company thoroughly before submitting to them. There is info about that and about how early you can actually start promoting in Book Promo 101 - Learn the Basics of Book Promotion. (My latest book :)

I agree that its never too early to start getting the word out.

Nikki Leigh

Thanks, Nikkii. I do have an outline (I'm a plotter, big time) and I'm wrting my synopsis using it as a guideline. Still, it's nerve wracking. :)

Your book sounds great - I'll definitely check it out!

~Carol

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
You're right. It does help.

I visit a LOT of agent and editor blogs, and I know they've returned the visit. When I leave a comment, I always leave my blog addy in my signiture.

When I was looking for a publisher for my second novel, I started hanging around on a publisher's yahoo group and helping out with special events etc. It was a great contact, I got to brainstorm some story improvements with the publisher and we've become great friends. Networking is so important in publishing and especially in promoting. It is always good to meet new people and to make contacts :) Blog comments are a really easy way to say hi :)

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks, Nikkii. I do have an outline (I'm a plotter, big time) and I'm wrting my synopsis using it as a guideline. Still, it's nerve wracking. :)

Your book sounds great - I'll definitely check it out!

~Carol

I wouldn't want to write a book without outlining although I get a lot of harassment from some other writers. But, it works for me. I have 11 books on the market and ghostwrote 8 others. Most of those were written in the last 2 1/2 years, so I figure the system works -- for me anyway :)

Starting with a rough synopsis and then expanding it into an outline has worked great. The story can and will take unexpected turns, but the outline keeps me on track and keeps the story moving. It is also very helpful when writing a series :)

Nikki Leigh

PS - I'll be sharing some info from Book Promo this week. I will look forward to hearing thoughts from you all :)

Carol Beth
March 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm looking forward to it, Nikki!

~Carol

PS - I'll be sharing some info from Book Promo this week. I will look forward to hearing thoughts from you all :)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm (http://www.nikkileigh.com/promo.htm)<!-- / sig -->

Catherine Bybee
March 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM
My name is Catherine Kimmer, AKA Catherine Bybee... I'm very excited about my new push to be a published romance writer. I've written-- no scratch that--I've started many books over the years and only in the last one did I actually finish one. Then before I could go back and polish, revise and try and get that one out there, I had a brainstorm on another. I did at this time get my nerve to see what someone else thought. I submitted it to an Agent, who's immediate reply was very possitive. Now don't get too excited, because I soon found out the agency I was looking into was on the dreaded 20 worst list. So I polietly said 'no thank you' when they offered me a contract, but I must say they inspired me to get myself out there.

I have had a series of rejections since, but soon found some of my problems. And had a few informative rejections after my full ms was submitted.

Blah blah blah, months later with revised synopsis in hand, I'm waiting a reply form a small press who is currently looking at a partial.
And of course dream of dreams hope I get the call soon. :phone:
But as we all know a partial is just a partial and I'm trying not to get too worked up.... Oh who am I kidding, I'm checking my e-mail every hour. :scardey:
I write many different things, because I love reading all romance. My first was a contemporary, My second and third are part of a Time Travel Paranormal trilogy, and I am now working on a Regency Historical.
I'm not chasing any market I'm simply not afraid to follow my heart.
I don't outline... at all! My book and characters take me for a ride which often suprises me. When I'm stuck, I know I've gone wrong somewhere and go back, revise and change until I know where it is going next.

So with three and a half completed ms, I'm officialy addicted to what I'm doing, even if my spelling is continually being corrected by my 8 year old. (Thank God for spell check.)

Alright, thats me. Thanks for reading.
Catherine

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM
My name is Catherine Kimmer, AKA Catherine Bybee... I'm very excited about my new push to be a published romance writer. I've written-- no scratch that--I've started many books over the years and only in the last one did I actually finish one. Then before I could go back and polish, revise and try and get that one out there, I had a brainstorm on another. I did at this time get my nerve to see what someone else thought. I submitted it to an Agent, who's immediate reply was very possitive. Now don't get too excited, because I soon found out the agency I was looking into was on the dreaded 20 worst list. So I polietly said 'no thank you' when they offered me a contract, but I must say they inspired me to get myself out there.

I have had a series of objections since, but soon found some of my problems. And had a few informative rejections after my full ms was submitted.

Blah blah blah, months later with revised synopsis in hand, I'm waiting a reply form a small press who is currently looking at a partial.
And of course dream of dreams hope I get the call soon. :phone:
But as we all know a partial is just a partial and I'm trying not to get too worked up.... Oh who am I kidding, I'm checking my e-mail every hour. :scardey:
I write many different things, because I love reading all romance. My first was a contemporary, My second and third are part of a Time Travel Paranormal trilogy, and I am now working on a Regency Historical.
I'm not chasing any market I'm simply not afraid to follow my heart.
I don't outline... at all! My book and characters take me for a ride which often suprises me. When I'm stuck, I know I've gone wrong somewhere and go back, revise and change until I know where it is going next.

So with three and a half completed ms, I'm officialy addicted to what I'm doing, even if my spelling is continually being corrected by my 8 year old. (Thank God for spell check.)

Alright, thats me. Thanks for reading.
Catherine

Thanks for telling us about yourself :) And, congratulations on having three manuscripts on paper. It seemed easier to write the second, third etc -- once one was finished and I knew I could do it :) I agree with you about writing what I want instead of what the market wants. Thankfully my publisher lets me do that :)

Nikki Leigh

Catherine Bybee
March 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks Nikki,
I hope I can actually call a publisher MINE soon. Waiting is the hardest part.
Catherine

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks Nikki,
I hope I can actually call a publisher MINE soon. Waiting is the hardest part.
Catherine

It is awesome, but I can tell you from personal experience, it also means so much more when you find a great publisher :) I consider my publisher to be my publisher, a partner and a friend. That means a lot :)

Waiting is tough - but dealing with the wrong publisher is very tough too

Nikki Leigh

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Good morning. Introducing myself... :)

I write as Miss Mae on my books (well, the one I have published), Pure Southern Genteel. But for my freelance articles, I use my real name of Lula Thomas.

Oooo, let's see, it seems I've written forever, but I didn't take myself seriously until probably last January when I sold my very first article. What a wonderful feeling that was! I've always been in love with romance, but a lot of what is called romance today isn't to my taste. So I write what I want to read! :P

My first ebook, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" was contracted by The Wild Rose Press in the fall of 2007 and was released January 16, 2008. I'd been on pins and needles awaiting some reviews. It was part anticipation and part dread. The longer the time went by, the more I considered that was probably a good thing because obviously no one liked it!!! Well, my first one arrived in my email yesterday morning and I almost passed out. The reviewer loved it!! Yee-haw!! I sprouted eagle wings on my feet all day. I know, I know. This is only one and the next one might hate it, but it sure did give me a boost...

I took the plunge and created a blog a couple of weeks ago. Frankly, I'm not seeing the benefit of that. I do try to post at others, and some authors have some lovely blogs. But I feel like I'm rambling to myself, and if I have a blog, what's the use of a website? I'm confused about this...

Okay, enough about me for now. Thank you, Nikki, for allowing us this time to meet with you. I look forward to getting to know you better! :)

Sincerely,
Miss Mae

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
My first ebook, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" was contracted by The Wild Rose Press in the fall of 2007 and was released January 16, 2008. I'd been on pins and needles awaiting some reviews. It was part anticipation and part dread. The longer the time went by, the more I considered that was probably a good thing because obviously no one liked it!!! Well, my first one arrived in my email yesterday morning and I almost passed out. The reviewer loved it!! Yee-haw!! I sprouted eagle wings on my feet all day. I know, I know. This is only one and the next one might hate it, but it sure did give me a boost...

I took the plunge and created a blog a couple of weeks ago. Frankly, I'm not seeing the benefit of that. I do try to post at others, and some authors have some lovely blogs. But I feel like I'm rambling to myself, and if I have a blog, what's the use of a website? I'm confused about this...

Okay, enough about me for now. Thank you, Nikki, for allowing us this time to meet with you. I look forward to getting to know you better! :)

Sincerely,
Miss Mae

Congratulations on your recent release. I know what you mean about feeling different about your writing when someone actually PAYS you to write. I've been a fulltime freelancer for about 2 1/2 years and it is so great to be paid to write :)

Your blog is very new, so give it some time. You need to build a readership - then you won't be talking to yourself :) You can also link your blog to the Amazon connect program and it will show up on your Amazon page (I'm assuming your book is on Amazon - I apologize if I jumped to conclusions :)
Also, submitting your blog to directories can help and being listed with BlogCatalog and many others is a help. Somewhere else on here I suggested posting your blog link in your signature block and commenting on other similar blogs.

When you comment on their blogs - DO NOT promote your book. Say something relevant about their blog post. Then subtly post your name and blog link. Its subtle, but it works. You can also join my blog host list for my virtual tours and if you host one of my touring authors, I'll promote your blog :)

Bringing in guest bloggers is a great way to promote your blog. Especially if you find people who will tell all their friends to come visit your blog to learn about them :)

Nikki

PS - A blog will get you on search engines within a day - while websites take much longer. Blogs are much easier to set up and maintain. I enjoy all the blogs I use, but I wouldn't trade my website for anything :)

Kelley
March 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hello everyone,
I was always an avid reader and one day I decided to try writing. My first experience with writing was poetry/song lyrics. Now I have three Celtic fantasy romances published with Awe-Struck and two scheduled for release in 2009. In March, my short story The Enchanted Meadow will be included in a faery anthology from Freya's Bower. I am really excited about that one as it is my first experience with an anthology.

Nikki, I have already learned a lot from you on your Reader's Station Yahoo group. Thanks for always sharing your promotion tips with everyone.

Kelley
http://www.kelleyheckart.com

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hello everyone,
I was always an avid reader and one day I decided to try writing. My first experience with writing was poetry/song lyrics. Now I have three Celtic fantasy romances published with Awe-Struck and two scheduled for release in 2009. In March, my short story The Enchanted Meadow will be included in a faery anthology from Freya's Bower. I am really excited about that one as it is my first experience with an anthology.

Nikki, I have already learned a lot from you on your Reader's Station Yahoo group. Thanks for always sharing your promotion tips with everyone.

Kelley

Thnank you Kelley :) Glad to hear that you are learning and that I could help :) You submitted info about one of your books for my promo blogs, didn't you??

Nikki

Kelley
March 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yes. I think it was your book cover blog and I also submitted info to two other blogs. I need to send info for my other books.

Kelley

milaramos
March 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi there I'm Mila Ramos. I'm a published writer; not quite rookie but not a pro. My first books came out in 06 and just have been working on slowly on it since the career since then.

My first shot at writing came through a contest with Playgirl and though it took a while to get into the mindset of a writer, the transition happened. My first two books came out back to back in November/December 06 as a part of the Jaded Beasts Series V and VI, Smoke & Mirrors and Prophecy of the Boar,with Midnight Showcase. It took a while for it to sink in but when I saw the covers for those books I was totally stunned.

I'm still learning the hoops of the industry, and especially learning to juggle it with graduate school, but its going as best as it can. :gun_bandana:LOL couldn't help that.

The toughest part of being a writer is truly promotional work. I do not think its hard because I'm guessing yourblogging or updating and such. I think its more learnin the how and what. Is it a daily thing, weekly thing? Do you talk about yourself? Just your books? How do you do contests? How do you do newsletters?

I've learned the reason as to why its important, but there seems to be this style when it comes to promoting from what I've seen. And it does all make sense but its a bit tricky to comprehend at times. I'm VERY slow at learning it and many people have sent me stuff. I've even started reading up on it, but it hasn't clicked yet.

Right now I have 5 stories already out with Midnight Showcase :whistle: which I'm truly grateful for. In a week, I have a duo release from Whiskey Creek Press and 4 more out with Midnight Showcase. Hopefully around then I will be able to have more of my work out with Lyrica Press, LooseId and a few other on the list.

My short term goal is within 6 months to a year to be writing with Elloras Cave. My genre's are contemporary, urban fantasy/paranormal, fantasy, time-travel. I.E. I am a huge Sci-Fi buff.....so anything paranormal, I adore. Hopefully within a couple years my writing will be agented. Throw in a doctorate degree in Chemistry, and I think taking over the world may be possible. LOLFunnyTongueSmilie

So that's me. Really hoping to pick up some great tips here!
Tootles.
Mila

litekepr
March 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
One of my best friends is named Mila and I saw your name and realized that I need to find out her fiancee's last name, before they get married :)

Congratulations on your books in print. Each one is wonderful. I keep waiting for that rush to wear off, but #11 just came out and I'll thrilled about that one too :)

Promoting is something that takes some time to figure out and you should develop a "brand" for yourself and your books. That is much easier if there is a common theme or thread to your books. That also makes it much easier to promote multiple books.

Are your books on Amazon? If so, are you utilizing the promotional options they offer? If not, that would be my first priority. A number of the questions you asked are addresssed in my newest book - Book Promo 101. And, excerpts from the first chapter are posted here under "Developing a Marketing Mindset".

There is some good info on the forum and take a look at the "FREE" promo section - you will see some options that I offer for free to any published authors.

Nikki Leigh

milaramos
March 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Oooh I have a name buddy! Thanks for the words, i printed out your first chapter. Its just easier to print it out and be able to write notes on it.

As far as Amazon, M.Showcase is in ISSN, but Whiskey Creek is through ISBN's. Still haven't been able to work my way through there lol but that's coming up for the rest of the week.

Thanks so much for the advice. Your book is a definite by this weekend.

litekepr
March 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Oooh I have a name buddy! Thanks for the words, i printed out your first chapter. Its just easier to print it out and be able to write notes on it.

As far as Amazon, M.Showcase is in ISSN, but Whiskey Creek is through ISBN's. Still haven't been able to work my way through there lol but that's coming up for the rest of the week.

Thanks so much for the advice. Your book is a definite by this weekend.

I posted most of the chapter, but not all of it. Can't give all my secrets away :) I saw an ebook copy that Fictionwise is selling and it looks bad - the content is there - but the interesting features we added are all messed up. BUt, my publisher has the ebook on her site and it looks great. I need to find a few minutes to delete that Fictionwise link :) No sense in making a bad impression if its not necessary or my fault :)

Nikki

loridbingley
March 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM
My name is Lori Bingley - and I've always been a fan of reading and writing. I truly believe that I was born with a pencil in my hand - which has now turned into a keyboard and monitor. I still have the early writings from my days of poetry (mostly about Michael Jackson...lol) and stories (all mystery). I enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown as a young girl, and anything that had to do with horses.

I am the author of seven novels to date: "The Night She Came Home", "One Eye in the Darkness", "A Sister's Secret", "Lorelei", "The Confession", "Fraternity", and my newest "Lethal Memoirs" - due out in print by the end of this month.

I'm very happy to be doing what I love - and being blessed with the ability to do it on my own terms. Promoting, however, has been tough because I have five children, work two jobs, and do a lot of volunteer work on the side. I don't regret any of it - nor would I change it.

Nice to meet you all! I'm enjoying the information and look forward to applying it!

Lori Derby Bingley
www.loriderbybingley.com

litekepr
March 5th, 2008, 11:20 PM
My name is Lori Bingley - and I've always been a fan of reading and writing. I truly believe that I was born with a pencil in my hand - which has now turned into a keyboard and monitor. I still have the early writings from my days of poetry (mostly about Michael Jackson...lol) and stories (all mystery). I enjoyed Encyclopedia Brown as a young girl, and anything that had to do with horses.

I am the author of seven novels to date: "The Night She Came Home", "One Eye in the Darkness", "A Sister's Secret", "Lorelei", "The Confession", "Fraternity", and my newest "Lethal Memoirs" - due out in print by the end of this month.

I'm very happy to be doing what I love - and being blessed with the ability to do it on my own terms. Promoting, however, has been tough because I have five children, work two jobs, and do a lot of volunteer work on the side. I don't regret any of it - nor would I change it.

Nice to meet you all! I'm enjoying the information and look forward to applying it!

Lori Derby Bingley
www.loriderbybingley.com (http://www.loriderbybingley.com)

Hi Lori

Good to have you drop by :) Promotion does definitely take time - but its so rewarding to get books into the reader's hands. Imagine how life would've been if you had never heard of or read Encyclopedia Brown??

I hope you find useful info and let me know if you have questions :)

Nikki

JH_Bográn
March 6th, 2008, 12:07 AM
First of all, thank you Nikki for this seminar that is sure to help us navigate through the moody waters of bookselling!

I was born and raised in Honduras, Central America. So, yes, my native language is Spanish. Fully bilingual by the time I was 18 y.o. I was naive, or dumb enough, to believe I could write in English so here I am. A few years later with 3 titles already published in this language and two more in the works.

My website is www.jhbogran.net (http://www.jhbogran.net)

And my recently established blog: http://thetaleweaver.blogspot.com/

Kristin Lawrence
March 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Goodness, Lori, how do you have time to breathe? It sounds like you're very successful at what you do - congratulations on the 7th book!

Kristin

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 12:38 PM
First of all, thank you Nikki for this seminar that is sure to help us navigate through the moody waters of bookselling!

I was born and raised in Honduras, Central America. So, yes, my native language is Spanish. Fully bilingual by the time I was 18 y.o. I was naive, or dumb enough, to believe I could write in English so here I am. A few years later with 3 titles already published in this language and two more in the works.

My website is www.jhbogran.net (http://www.jhbogran.net)

And my recently established blog: http://thetaleweaver.blogspot.com/

I think at some point we all thought being an author would be easier than it is :) But, writing the book(s) and getting them available for the public are the first two hurdles. Then, we have created a product that is available for the public. Have you considered releasing your book in more than one language? Is that an option?

Nikki Leigh

JudeAZ
March 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hi, and thank you for this informational thread!

I'm Jude Johnson and I write historical fiction that is action-adventure and romance set in 1880s Arizona. My first book, Dragon & Hawk, has now totally sold out of three printings, and my second book, Celtic Fire, Desert Rain is going well. I'm leaving for the UK next week to research another book in that series as well as start a new series set in 5th century Wales loosely reflecting mythology from The Mabinogion.

I also have a couple of contemporary romance e books written as Nia Little: Desire--A Dangerous Dance, The Wicked Waltz, and A Delectable Valentine published through Alinar Publishing and reviewed by Coffee Time Romance.

I've found authors who really push their books hard irritate the living daylights out of me, so my style is the other end of the spectrum. I try to answer any and all questions sent my way, I make as many personal signings as I can, I have a blog on My Space which I try to update often (and often fail), and I try to contribute to conversations on the online forums when I have time.

While I may not be the hottest-selling e book author Alinar has, I'm really happy with them and the fact that people seem to enjoy my stories. But my focus is still my paper books, and for an independently (i.e., self) published author, I've done all right. There are always more things to learn and try! I'm having a grand time listening to other authors and exploring the many avenues of promotion--as long as I don't have to beat anyone over the head with a hard sell. I just won't do it.

I lurk on here and am really impressed the with authors involved. Wow...

All the best,

~Jude Johnson

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I am not good at the hard sell and I really do not respond well when people try the hard sell with me ;) There is a local author who I see at all the events and she is one of the "in your face" authors and even though the subject and setting of her book is interesting to me - chances are that I won't buy her book.

There are so many more subtle and less obnoxious ways to promote and I try to use those. True - it doesn't make me a best seller, but I'm reasonably happy with my results :)

I promote my ebooks to a point, but I do promote the print more. I list ebook and print for sale on my sale page and people can make their choice about which to buy. I have been encouraged to see the Kindle editions of all but on of my books selling on Amazon.

I hope you continue to learn new and useful things :)

Nikki Leigh

JudeAZ
March 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I am not good at the hard sell and I really do not respond well when people try the hard sell with me ;) There is a local author who I see at all the events and she is one of the "in your face" authors and even though the subject and setting of her book is interesting to me - chances are that I won't buy her book.

There are so many more subtle and less obnoxious ways to promote and I try to use those. True - it doesn't make me a best seller, but I'm reasonably happy with my results :)

I promote my ebooks to a point, but I do promote the print more. I list ebook and print for sale on my sale page and people can make their choice about which to buy. I have been encouraged to see the Kindle editions of all but on of my books selling on Amazon.

I hope you continue to learn new and useful things :)

Nikki Leigh

Thanks, Nikki!

Kindle is a whole new ball game, isn't it? Have you had many inquiries about your titles there? Does Amazon promote the books they have on Kindle or is it still up to the author?

~Jude

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Nikki!

Kindle is a whole new ball game, isn't it? Have you had many inquiries about your titles there? Does Amazon promote the books they have on Kindle or is it still up to the author?

~Jude

It will always be up to the author unless the book is already at the top of the bestseller lists. I haven't had any inquiries, but they are selling -- that's even better. I'm hoping the Kindle will help people grasp that they aren't tied to a computer to read an ebook.

Nikki