PDA

View Full Version : Google Alerts

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Is anyone familiar with Google Alerts? They are a great way to keep up with your online presence. I started using it to locate new reviews, but I've been very pleasantly surprised at all the wonderful things that show up in my daily alerts.

So, anyone familiar with Google Alerts? Would you like to know more??

Nikki Leigh

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, I use this. It's what alerted me to my review yesterday... :)

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, I use this. It's what alerted me to my review yesterday... :)

Its much easier than searching all the Google results for info. What search terms do you use??

Nikki

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Either my writing name (and get some weird stuff there...even reviews for Mae West!), or the whole title of my book...

MM

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Either my writing name (and get some weird stuff there...even reviews for Mae West!), or the whole title of my book...

MM

Do you use quotation marks around your search terms? That got rid of a lot of my strange results. Like this

"Nikki Leigh"
"Widow's Walk"
"Lady Lightkeeper"

And, since there are many books titled Widow's Walk, I enter it like this

"Widows Walk" "Nikki Leigh"

That means that the only results I get are for my book titled Widow's Walk- that eliminated a lot of useless results.

You can also search for your genre, your setting, you could search for "Jack the Ripper". I've found that you NEVER know what interesting search results might turn up.

Nikki

rgraham666
March 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I use them.

My search terms are my name, the title of one of my books and my publisher.

Seems to work. :)

Miss Mae
March 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Never had used the quotes before, but when I did today I saw another place that was selling my book....Know ebooks...Does that sound familiar to anyone?

MM

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Never had used the quotes before, but when I did today I saw another place that was selling my book....Know ebooks...Does that sound familiar to anyone?

MM

I haven't heard of them, but there are a lot of Fictionwise affiliates out there.

Nikki

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Book title and author name are the most popular uses for Google Alerts. Just don't forget them if you're researching a time, place, specific topics or anything else for your book. This can turn up some great info. Its very useful for authors who do a lot of research for their books.

Nikki Leigh

Jacqi_Montano
March 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I haven't used Google Alerts . . but I'm taking notes :)

litekepr
March 4th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I haven't used Google Alerts . . but I'm taking notes :)

They are a great way to keep an eye on your online presence and especially as your presence grows. I used to do a Google search for info on Sunday evenings, but that is not possible any more :)

Nikki

Carol Beth
March 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Nikki Leigh[/quote]

I'd like to know more. I'm already familiar doing searches using the quotes. In fact, I did a search for my name not long ago and discovered I'd won a contest. :)

litekepr
March 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Nikki Leigh

I'd like to know more. I'm already familiar doing searches using the quotes. In fact, I did a search for my name not long ago and discovered I'd won a contest. :)[/quote]

Are you asking how to set up the Google Alerts? If so ---

Go to www.google.com
In the top right corner you will see "My Account" if you have an account, if you don't have an account, you need to register for an account
Once you have the account set up - go to "My Account" and one of the options is "Alerts" - click there
The box come up to create an alert - enter your search term in the first block - put names in quotes or phrases in quotes. I use "comprehensive" and "daily" - that will make sense when you open the page
Click to create and you can add another alert.
On that same page - near the center of the page, you will see "manage alerts" - click there and you will see a page with all of your alerts.
Each day (if you chose daily) - you will receive an email with links to search results that contain your google alert terms.

Nikki Leigh

Carol Beth
March 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Wow, thanks Nikki! I didn't know about this. See, you learn something new every day!

I've set up my Google Alerts, now I just have to wait and see what "pops" up. LOL

Thanks again!

~Carol

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Wow, thanks Nikki! I didn't know about this. See, you learn something new every day!

I've set up my Google Alerts, now I just have to wait and see what "pops" up. LOL

Thanks again!

~Carol

Google Alerts have been a huge time saver for me :) I like to pass along things that are helpful, free and save time :)

Nikki Leigh

Jenna Bayley-Burke
March 6th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I love Google Alerts. I do use the quotations, which seem to help.

I have an alert under my name, my penname, each book title, and Pink Heart Society...just to see when anyone is talking about me :)

Aline de Chevigny
March 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM

MM

Know eboks is an offshot of Fictionwise.

Aline

DeeOpangirl
March 6th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure if I've used them. I have tried to sign up for them but not sure if I'm doing the correct thing.

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I love Google Alerts. I do use the quotations, which seem to help.

I have an alert under my name, my penname, each book title, and Pink Heart Society...just to see when anyone is talking about me :)

I love that Google actually does something for us -- and for free :) I included the Readers' Station (my author co-op) in my alerts and I can see what's being said about us and which members are out promoting the site. Lots of uses for the alerts :)

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Know eboks is an offshot of Fictionwise.

Aline

I had a feeling they were an affiliate for Fictionwise - there are a lot out there, but they all kind of resemble the fictionwise setup and other info. Thanks for letting us know.

Nikki Leigh

litekepr
March 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if I've used them. I have tried to sign up for them but not sure if I'm doing the correct thing.

Hi Dee

Good to see you :)

These were the instructions in case you missed them -

Go to www.google.com (http://www.google.com/)
In the top right corner you will see "My Account" if you have an account, if you don't have an account, you need to register for an account
Once you have the account set up - go to "My Account" and one of the options is "Alerts" - click there
The box come up to create an alert - enter your search term in the first block - put names in quotes or phrases in quotes. I use "comprehensive" and "daily" - that will make sense when you open the page
Click to create and you can add another alert.
On that same page - near the center of the page, you will see "manage alerts" - click there and you will see a page with all of your alerts.
Each day (if you chose daily) - you will receive an email with links to search results that contain your google alert terms.

Nikki Leigh

DeeOpangirl
March 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Wow...Thanks Nikki You're giving me so much help! Got the Google Alerts going. Dee