PDA

View Full Version : I've been interviewed!

alexbeecroft
March 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
I've been interviewed about 'Captain's Surrender', what it's like being a first time author, whether TV is good for inspiration, what I'm up to now and quite a lot of other stuff too, on Michelle Devon's blog here < (http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html)http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html> (http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html)

Check it out for breaking news of my new fantasy novel 'The Witch's Boy', and for the not very well kept secret of who is my ultimate writing hero :)

Dani
March 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Very nice Alex!Bouncy Icon Smilie

You were born in my favorite place (even though I've never been there, but want to go). My great great grandmother on my grandfather's side is from County Cork. My grans side of the family is also from Ireland as well, but I'm not sure where and how far back though. :biggrin:

hollie
March 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
where abouts in NI were you born I was born in Dundonald i got my name cos my parents lived in hollywood when i was born

alexbeecroft
March 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Very nice Alex!Bouncy Icon Smilie

You were born in my favorite place (even though I've never been there, but want to go). My great great grandmother on my grandfather's side is from County Cork. My grans side of the family is also from Ireland as well, but I'm not sure where and how far back though. :biggrin:
I have to admit that we left Ireland when I was four, and for about 10 years afterwards I felt homesick for it. My sister and niece and nephew still live there, in Bangor, County Down, and we used to visit several times a year but that's fallen off since I got married. I have come to accept my essential Englishness now, but it was a struggle!

alexbeecroft
March 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM
where abouts in NI were you born I was born in Dundonald i got my name cos my parents lived in hollywood when i was born
Wow! what a coincidence! I was born in Dundonald too :) Christened in the cathedral in Belfast. We lived in Bangor. That was where my sister met her husband, and she stayed when we came to England - so we have a link still. It's a great part of the world, though I do remember some very tense years.

hollie
March 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
i was only there about 6 weeks cos dad went to cyprus so mum went home to london i've never been back but i want to especially since we lost Dad

alexbeecroft
March 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I was there just a couple of months ago - unfortunately for a funeral - but it still has a surprising draw on you. In the South I feel a bit like a guest, but in the North I feel more at home.

hollie
March 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
i mentioned it to mum today that you were born there and got the 3rd degree about when and who and everything she could think of

got your book today thanks

alexbeecroft
March 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
i mentioned it to mum today that you were born there and got the 3rd degree about when and who and everything she could think of

got your book today thanks
Hurray! I'm glad the book arrived safely :) And *g* for your mum. I don't remember much more than that, though. Only the rose arches in my mum's garden, and running back from the house of one of my little friends because she had bitten me. Everything else is a blur!

hollie
March 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM
they spent along time there but left just after i was born at the moment shes into the hole what if...... bit i think she letting go and admitting that dad's gone and it wasn't her fault

alexbeecroft
March 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
they spent along time there but left just after i was born at the moment shes into the hole what if...... bit i think she letting go and admitting that dad's gone and it wasn't her fault
Oh yes - it's a painful process but probably a hopeful one. I've got to say, though, that it was probably for the best that she left. It's nice now, but there really were some years when I felt very vulnerable walking about there with my English accent. We nearly got burnt out of the house by neighbours who thought we were Catholics, and my sister was across the road when a pillar box bomb went up, taking the arm off the fellow who was closer...

So your mum spared herself and you a lot of stress by moving. If it's worth anything, I think she did the right thing.

hollie
March 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
yeh we went to London then to Germany

Minnette
March 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
A little late here, but congrats on the interview and the new book! I left a comment...just going through CT and seeing if I can update my friends list...still trying to figure out how all this works...egad! M:)

Dani
March 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Minnette, just use the Posting Pointers (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=339) section if you need help or ask any of us moderators.

Minnette
March 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks, Dani...found some new stuff there. It's not so much in the how as it is in the who, when and where...I'd like to participate more, but there are so many threads, I just get lost sometimes and my time is at a premium these days. I know a lot of people on here and I just discovered how to add them to my list (took me long enough!), so that's a start. I love this place, and I could spend 24 hours a day here...~sigh~...

alexbeecroft
March 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks! It's a lovely site here, but one that you probably need to devote more time to than I do, in order to get the best out of it. I've been derailed in terms of keeping up with everything by Easter and family visits, but hopefully I can get back into the swing of things now :)

Thanks for the comment!

hollie
March 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
:wizard: I read it Alex it was brillient :huepfen017: smilies/cloud9.gif

alexbeecroft
March 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
:wizard: I read it Alex it was brillient :huepfen017: smilies/cloud9.gif
Woohoo! I'm so glad it was worth it, after all that waiting :) Thank you :D

alexbeecroft
March 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Woohoo! I'm so glad it was worth it, after all that waiting :) Thank you :D
Squee! And I love the Cloud Nine smiley!

Eden Rivers
June 18th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hi,

I'm one of your "neighbors" in the author forums and thought I'd stop by and check out your forum. Cool interview! Those made me so nervous, the first time I answered all those questions, lol. Love "The Witch Boy" as a title--but then I write witches, so I'm biassed.

I've been interviewed about 'Captain's Surrender', what it's like being a first time author, whether TV is good for inspiration, what I'm up to now and quite a lot of other stuff too, on Michelle Devon's blog here < (http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html)http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html> (http://michys-book-reviews.blogspot.com/2008/03/author-interview-alex-beecroft.html)

Check it out for breaking news of my new fantasy novel 'The Witch's Boy', and for the not very well kept secret of who is my ultimate writing hero :)

alexbeecroft
June 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hello Eden! thanks for saying Hi :) I've got to admit I've fallen out of the habit of using the forums, but now that you've reminded me they're here, that may change!

My witch is more of a witch-lord actually, but none the worse for that, I hope :) Thank you!

hollie
June 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
:welcome2: Alex!!! we haven't seen you for you for ages how you doing?? and more important what you doing?? writing??? please please please

Eden Rivers
June 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I refer to the male witches in my books as "witch" too, so I'm cool with a witch-lord.
:flowers:

My witch is more of a witch-lord actually, but none the worse for that, I hope :) Thank you!

Barbra Novac
June 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I really enjoyed reading it. I thought both of you did a great job.

I'm a big Jane Austen fan too. And Colin Firth was just as good a Darcy in Bridget Jones as he was in P & P!

Congrats again, on a great interview.

Barbra.
:thankyou:

alexbeecroft
June 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
:welcome2: Alex!!! we haven't seen you for you for ages how you doing?? and more important what you doing?? writing??? please please please
Hello Hollie! Yes, I've been writing with my nose to the grindstone for months now. I've just cracked 100,000 words on another Age of Sail novel called 'False Colors', which should be published by Running Press some time next year. I'm hoping to get a few short stories out before then too :)

alexbeecroft
June 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I refer to the male witches in my books as "witch" too, so I'm cool with a witch-lord.
:flowers:
Yes, I think that's more authentic, as it wasn't originally a gendered word. I just sometimes get people being surprised when they find out Sulien is a he ;)

alexbeecroft
June 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I really enjoyed reading it. I thought both of you did a great job.

I'm a big Jane Austen fan too. And Colin Firth was just as good a Darcy in Bridget Jones as he was in P & P!

Congrats again, on a great interview.

Barbra.
:thankyou:
Thanks Barbra! I always worry that I come across badly in interviews, so I'm reassured that it wasn't completely offputting ;)

*g* You can have Mr.Darcy if I can have Mr.Bingley ;)

hollie
June 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, I think that's more authentic, as it wasn't originally a gendered word. I just sometimes get people being surprised when they find out Sulien is a he ;)

I thought it worked well have a female Sulien wouldn't have, It would have been to difficult to beleive there was an goodness in a female.

alexbeecroft
June 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I thought it worked well have a female Sulien wouldn't have, It would have been to difficult to beleive there was an goodness in a female.
Oh, thanks Hollie! I admit I didn't think of that. I was too distracted by the thought that Sulien looked a bit like this:

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi687603993/

;) Shallow, moi? :D

hollie
June 20th, 2008, 03:55 PM
mmm he was nice to start with but .............

MelanieR
June 21st, 2008, 01:53 PM
I've never been to Ireland, but I'm going before I die.

hollie
June 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
i'm hopeing to go next year i haven't been back since i was a few months old

alexbeecroft
June 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
I've never been to Ireland, but I'm going before I die.
The bit I know best is Bangor, County Down, which is where my sister lives. That's on the sea-side, and fairly close to the Giant's Causeway, which is well worth seeing :)

Dani
June 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
i'm hopeing to go next year i haven't been back since i was a few months old
*on hands and knees* Take me with you PLEASE!!!! :notworthy:

hollie
June 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
*on hands and knees* Take me with you PLEASE!!!! :notworthy:

oh of course you can come too I've seen it youy can see Ireland from where we where in Scotland I've got a photo somwhere

CharmedGirl
June 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I want to visit Scotland and Ireland to!

hollie
June 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
there is Scotland photo's on my myspace and you can come to ireland with us if you want