PDA

View Full Version : Hot Spots!!!!

maura
March 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
It is officially spring in my house. Angel has her first hotspot of the season. Hers are pretty severe, but my vet gave me a remedy for the more mild ones.

Place a teabag and water in your microwave, set for half a cup to make weak tea.

Dissolve 2 uncoated aspirins in the tea.

When the mixture is room temperature add a shot of rubbing alcohol.

Apply with a cotton ball a few times a day and it will dry those spots right up, even chronic ones.

I use it when Angel starts to heal up.

Daelith
March 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's good to know. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with these on the dogs I currently have. I can only advise if the problem persists to have your vet check the area. I had one dog with what I thought was a hot spot...turned out to be a staff infection.:(

maura
March 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I agree with you there. Angel ALWAYS goes to the vet for her hotspots, they go from the size of a penny to the size of my hand in two hours. I have been to the vet three times in the last two weeks, for staph infection and yeast infection( German Shepherds get them alot), Hot spot (Golden retriever), and a thyroid test (also the Golden). Angel now gets up on the scale on her own.

Maura

That's good to know. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with these on the dogs I currently have. I can only advise if the problem persists to have your vet check the area. I had one dog with what I thought was a hot spot...turned out to be a staff infection.:(

maura
March 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM

I am hating them right now. I have to get a hyperactive LARGE GSD to roll over on his back so I can spray him with Genesis(I am guessing it is like Genticin), it sucks but it's working.

Maura

Kimberly
August 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
It is officially spring in my house. Angel has her first hotspot of the season. Hers are pretty severe, but my vet gave me a remedy for the more mild ones.

Place a teabag and water in your microwave, set for half a cup to make weak tea.

Dissolve 2 uncoated aspirins in the tea.

When the mixture is room temperature add a shot of rubbing alcohol.

Apply with a cotton ball a few times a day and it will dry those spots right up, even chronic ones.

I use it when Angel starts to heal up.
Oh, Maura! You are a life saver! I have a 13 year old Springer spaniel who gets hot spots year around and she hates the medicine the vet gives us. (I think it probably stings) This will be a lot easier to do. Thank you! ( I am bowing and kissing the ground at your feet!)