PDA

View Full Version : What powers do you like your vampire to have?

Shelley Munro
March 16th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I know there are a lot of vampire fans on the forum. What powers do you like your vampires to have? Do you like traditional vampires who are creatures of the night or do you like authors to come up with new twists?

Just curious.

Shelley - who has never written a vampire book but likes to read them on occasion.

hollie
March 16th, 2008, 08:00 AM
i love vampires and a twist from the norm is always good i would say my favorites are still LKH's vamps i like JC and Asher although the Carpathiens and Dark hunters (are they actually vamps) are a close 2nd i just don't know them as well (and LKH was my first vamp books)

rgraham666
March 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I prefer them to be the creatures of the night with little twists. If an author has a vampire go outside in the daytime I'll put the book down.

One of the twists I'm proudest of with my vampires was playing on the fact that they are dead. So that means none of the automatic physical actions occur. Hearts don't beat, lungs don't breath. They never have to use the facilities. They can't laugh or cry.

What made it really tricky to write about them in an erotic manner is none of the physical signs of lust occur either. Men don't get erect, women don't lubricate. It took some doing but I still managed to make the stories with them hot. :biggrin:

OK. Done bragging. ;)

hollie
March 17th, 2008, 07:14 AM
i agree with the daytime bite although some have got round that quite nicely like Lynsey Sands with her altlanteen medicine thing (which you have to admit is orginal) like the idea of no body functions mmm one to ponder till i'm allowed to again

Shelley Munro
March 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I like my vampires to be creatures of the night, and maybe if they're a bit older they can stand weak sunlight.

I've been enjoying Jenna Black's vampire series. I haven't read the third book yet but the hero of this story is a "born" vampire rather than a made vampire. He appeared in book 2 and is a very interesting character, so I'm looking forward to reading his story and seeing how Jenna treats him.

Shelley

Shelley Munro
March 18th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Rob,

Your book sounds interesting, and a real challenge!

Shelley

Cynthianna
March 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM
In my Paranormal Lovers of Saint Louis series, my vamps are essentially night people--but if they've fed recently on human blood, then their paranormal and psychic abilities are stronger and they can go out in the late afternoon with sunblock on--and they can shapeshift easily, too. ;)

Celine
http://www.celinechatillon.com

rgraham666
March 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Rob,

Your book sounds interesting, and a real challenge!

Shelley

Thanks Shelley. :)

Georges and Diane are my favourite characters to date. I've always got a story with one or both of them that I'm either working on or thinking about.

CharmedGirl
March 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
i love vampires and a twist from the norm is always good i would say my favorites are still LKH's vamps i like JC and Asher

Yeah I'd have to agree Hollie that JC and Asher are two great vamps.

Vampire definitely need to have mind control because when taking blood from innocent people they can clear that person's mind so they don't remember anything that they were snacked on by a vampire. Being able to fly is another handy talent!

Dani
March 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Okay, I like the creature of the night with extras too. Those are my faves, but sometimes going out of the box (having them walk in sunlight, etc.) is interesting. I love the way Keri Arthur writes her vamp Quinn. He can walk in the day (morning and late afternoon) because of his age, but not in the hottest part of the day. I also love Anne Rice's vamps. Yes, some of them are dark and brooding, but it's the way she writes them that's cool.

rgraham666
March 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is I make very sure that my readers know my vampires are supernatural monsters. I'm not fond of books where the vampires are basically human beings with superpowers and odd eating habits.

With mine you're always aware that they are monsters at the center. They may keep a tight rein on it. They'll try to be restrained, careful and even good. But the monster is always there and sometimes it gets out.

Then very bad things happen.

Shelley Munro
March 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Dani - You know I've never read any Anne Rice. Maybe I'll get to them one day. So many books, so little time!

Rob - good point. I see vampires as dangerous creatures. It's not enough to give them powers. As a reader I need the world building to go with the story - how things work in the vampire society, the politics, the good and the bad etc

Shelley

Dani
March 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
She makes no bones about her vamps and society. You can tell they can be ruthless killers when they want, but they are some how still sexy. At least that's my opinion.

Shelley Munro
March 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Sounds good. I might see if I can grab a copy of one of her books since a few people have said how much they've enjoyed them.

Shelley

Dani
March 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I started with The Vampire Lestat even though Interview With a Vampire was first. I had seen the movie for the latter of the two books, so I didn't want to read it with the movie fresh in my mind.

Shelley Munro
March 25th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for that. Left to my own devices I normally pick up books in a series out of order. It frustrates me no end.

Shelley

Dani
March 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I do the same thing Shelley, so I know how you feel.

Here's the link to Anne's books for her vampire chronicles. You might want to invest some time into reading her Mayfair Witches series too since it ties into the last two vampire chronicles books. They are really good too, IMO.

http://www.annerice.com/Bookshelf-VampireChronicles.html (http://www.annerice.com/Bookshelf-VampireChronicles.html)

Catherine Bybee
March 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I do the same thing Shelley, so I know how you feel.

Here's the link to Anne's books for her vampire chronicles. You might want to invest some time into reading her Mayfair Witches series too since it ties into the last two vampire chronicles books. They are really good too, IMO.

http://www.annerice.com/Bookshelf-VampireChronicles.html (http://www.annerice.com/Bookshelf-VampireChronicles.html)

Love Anne Rice. And don't pick up the books out of series.

As for what I want my vamps to be able to do. Mind control, oh yeah. Otherwise no one would hold their hair back for the big bite.

Shelley Munro
March 27th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Catherine,

"As for what I want my vamps to be able to do. Mind control, oh yeah. Otherwise no one would hold their hair back for the big bite."

LOL - I sure as heck wouldn't stand still and hold back my hair! I'd be sprinting in the opposite direction. The vampire would need enhanced speed to catch me as well!

Shelley

vanced99
March 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
As long as they are ubersexy and very romantic...I don't care what they can do...except...

Shelley Munro
March 28th, 2008, 08:19 PM
LOL Diane. Except what?

Shelley

hollie
March 29th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Dani - You know I've never read any Anne Rice. Maybe I'll get to them one day. So many books, so little time!

Rob - good point. I see vampires as dangerous creatures. It's not enough to give them powers. As a reader I need the world building to go with the story - how things work in the vampire society, the politics, the good and the bad etc

Shelley

I agree there has to be a world built but i don't think them only being mean works yes they are dangerous and often just plain nasty but like everyone else there has to be a 'home side' to them

Shelley Munro
March 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I totally agree, Hollie. We need them to have both good and bad points. A reader needs to know our vampire is capable of love. But on the other hand, it's boring to read about perfect characters, so a reader likes to hear about flaws as well.

Shelley

hollie
March 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
This is going to sound ridiculas but...

you have to have realistic mythical characters

see i told you it would sound ridiculas

Shelley Munro
March 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
LOL - it made perfect sense to me, Hollie. I know exactly what you mean.

Shelley