PDA

View Full Version : Unhappily ever after?

ChristieSilvers
March 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
So what do you think of books and movies that don't end with a "happily ever after"? My hubby is sick to death of all the movies lately that end with the main character's death. :lol:

So what do you think of the concept of the main character dying off in the end, or things just not working out for the better?

For example, has anyone seen 30 Days of Night? That's the last one I watched. My hubby was sooo mad that he died, but I told him that it was obvious that was going to happen 10mins before the movie ended. I felt like it was a necessary evil to complete the storyline.

Thoughts?

hollie
March 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
i'm soft i like a happy ever after to films and books don't like sad endings even tough i can often see the point of them

CharmedGirl
March 20th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I like happy endings. If the hero or heroine dies I usually end up crying and need a tissue box close by.

Dani
March 21st, 2008, 12:36 AM
I'm another that likes happy endings. I can see the main character dying if it's necessary for the story, but like you said, there's just too much of that happening in movies lately. The one or two of the series that I'm reading lately have a HFN (Happy For Now) ending because it's a series and there's more to the stories, but I'll be really disappointed to have the series' end on a sad note.

ChristieSilvers
March 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm more of a happy ending type of gal too, but I do still enjoy the occassional book/movie that ends sadly. Sometimes there's just no getting around it. But some of the endings frustrate me to no avail when they kill people off.

rgraham666
March 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
I like HEA. But not if it doesn't make sense.

In 30 Days of Night (a movie I disliked a lot) the ending made sense, so I could live with.

ChristieSilvers
March 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Oh dear, my poor husband has now officially sworn off all horror-like movies that I bring home from now on. :lol: I brought home "I Am Legend" and let's just say that he was terribly unhappy with the ending. The poor guy will never watch anything with me again. :lol:

Dani
March 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Your poor hubby. Maybe you need to let him pick out the movies for a little while to make him feel better. LOL!

ChristieSilvers
March 23rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Nah, he'll get over it, or just not watch any more. :lol: Besides, he always whines that there's nothing good to watch. But, I can always find a movie to rent. ALWAYS! :lol:

Dani
March 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
You're sooo loving! Laugh it Up fuzball

Linda L Lattimer
April 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I haven't seen 30 days of Night, but I did watch The Mist today and when it went off, I thought what?? I am still shocked over that one, as much as I still love Stephen King still shocked, but don't know if the guy who did the screenplay went exactly by the story of Mr. King since I really haven't read the short story yet.
Hugs Linda

ChristieSilvers
April 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Oh no, I have that movie coming tomorrow from Netflix. LOL! I'll make sure not to watch it with the hubby. :)

mizztara71
April 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I saw 30 Days of Night and wanted to throw the DVD when it ended. I HATE when the star of the movie dies. That's why I read romance for the happily ever after.