PDA

View Full Version : 29th - Chat with Cindy Lynn Speer

Karenne
March 28th, 2008, 11:39 PM
29th - Chat with Cindy Lynn Speer on our Contemporary Room all day long and have a chance at some great prizes!

Have a great day and thank you Cindy for spending your time with us!:huepfen017:

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hello!

Thank you for your wonderful welcome! I've got a few posts up, the first is about the book and a smidge about me, the second is all about you guys...I want you to tell me about yourselves a bit, and so I've asked some odd questions, and put up the first contest.

Please come join me, I am so eager to chat with you all!

In a few moments, I'll add my first excerpt.

Karenne
March 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Well I have hot coffee and plenty of it. I am ready to go!

Thanks Cindy for spending the day with us.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Fantastic!

I should make coffee in honor of the board...it's been ages since I drank any...

And thank you. I am so excited. :D

Karenne
March 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
So Cindy...tell us a little bit about you and why you decided to be an author?

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
First of all, I'm trying to decide if I made a huge mistake, because I posted to the other place...if people are receiving emails I should have posted here, I'm very sorry!

Otherwise...let's see...I decided to become an author because I've always loved books and stories. I grew up surrounded by books, I've always told myself stories, and when I realized I could write them down, I realized that I could, perhaps, share the joy that my stories brought me with other people. And, actually writing stories down, as opposed to just day dreaming them makes you really explore the story, make it develop properly. In my head I usually skip from meeting someone to them declaring their undying affection. ;) In a book, you can't do that, of course.

The reason why I write fantasy-romances-with some mystery is because those are all things that give me the most joy. I love myth and folk lore. I like the idea of taking people to completely new, interesting, magical places, to get us all away from the mundane. I like mysteries because they are more cerebral...OK, that sounds a bit pretentious, but what I mean is that you want something exciting to happen, but I;m not big on a lot of fights, or wandering the forest in search of trolls to kill, or politics, but I love who done it's. Romance is one of the major themes, always, because it really draws me so much in my readings. I am in love with love. I don't think that there is anything more magical, really.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I guess it would be good if I told you a bit about my book...

The basic premise is this...once, magic and technology both lived on this world. There really were dragons, elves, and places like Avalon.

Then the two forces of magic and technology stopped being able to coexist, so Merlin cast his one last great spell, and split the worlds apart, creating two different planets. All the things from myth that you hear of are now on another world.

In the modern day, Libby Halstead is in possession of the stone that
Merlin used to part the worlds. A creature so evil and vile that the memory of his existence was taken out out the memories of all living things wants that stone, so he can reunite the worlds and rule in the chaos thereafter. Sadly, he knows her quite well...he's her ex-husband.

But, she's not alone, though she often thinks she is. She'll pick up allies throughout the book...Alex Kincaide, a man who has lost his memory, Zorovin, a dragon in human form, who has traveled from the other world in search of his son, and Sierra, a woman who wants magic desperately.

Karenne
March 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Cindy!

Can you tell us where we can find you on the web? Website, MySpace, groups, etc?

TallulahBelle
March 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hello Cindy!

Thanks for the link to join, and especially to come and have a chat with you. I know you in a different way, and am just amazed (in a nice way) to see you in this light.

I am in the middle of your story, Blue Moon (starting Chapter 17 to be exact). I don't want to say anything else, because I would rather not spoil the story for another reader.

I am a fan of fantasy and romance. I love when the two can be combined in a story and told well.

I think what has suprised me the most about your story is that it also has moments of pure comedy. I think the only other Author that has made burst out laughing in an emotional scene is Neil Gaiman. It's actually the scene in the grocery store with the rejected bunch of spinach.

I think my main question while reading this story, is what made you say: "This is the story I need to tell."

There are just a lot of interwoven elements that made this tapestry, but what was your jumping off point?

That leads to another question, or maybe you can just add to, is that you have a lot of little stories going on within, that this story could really have been part of a much bigger arc. That's just the feeling I've been getting while reading Blue Moon.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Tallulah! Hello, there! Thank you so much for coming over, it's so awesome of you! And I'm excited that you're enjoying the story.

*grins* The scene on the grocery store is one of my faves, I don't know where it came from. I just wanted to take something really every day and boring (Who doesn't hate to go to the grocery store?) and make it weird and interesting.

I think...I think what really happened with this story is that a lot of images kept coming to me, Libby barring herself up in her house, Sierra killing off crows with her car, poor Alex tied to the train tracks like some silent movie actress. Then, I was listening to the radio at work and there was this announcer saying something about it being a blue moon that night, and I was thinking "What really does happen once in a blue moon? What makes it special?" and everything sort of clicked. The jumping off point was really Libby. She was terrified of something, but she also had this strength and resolve...and so I wanted to explore her a bit, and figure why poor Alex was tied to the tracks in his pajamas, and they were connected.

I can be found a lot of places. I have a website: http://www.apenandfire.com, a Facebook, a hardly ever updated by I keep promising myself I'll fix it My Space (for both, you can find me by typing my name...) and I have a handful of forums I hang out in. The website has a blog, and everyone is welcome to comment...I really do like to hear from people.

TallulahBelle
March 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
No problem! I really am enjoying the book.:notworthy:

So, this story came in flashes to you through Libby & Alex? How did Avalon become involved, or was it always clear to you that the story would take this route for these characters?

Forgive me if I am overly questioning. I think that I am curious to see how stories are put together. I come from a design background, and have a thing about how things are made.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Yay!

No worries!

The neat thing is, that this gives me a chance to really consider aspects of the book. When I write I just sort of sit and write and try not to stop. I do research to feed my head, or if I need to clarify a point that's keeping me from going forward (because I really try to be accurate) but I don't think too deeply into the whys, so this is really fantastic.

I think what happens to me is that I get a lot of things in bits and pieces. Characters, scenes, feelings. And I know some of them don't go together, so I put those aside for later, and keep picking through what does belong together, and see how it all fits.

I knew that Alex and Libby belonged together, and that I wanted to know what *really* happened the night of the blue moon. Did pixies come out? Were there fairy rings? That was when I started wondering about folk lore and reality. Why do we have, for instance, dragons in several cultures and even mentioned in texts like the Bible, yet we don't have evidence...scientists seem to think that they are either dinosaurs or over grown lizards. I think that's rather depressing and boring, so I started asking myself, where did they go? Where are elves and unicorns and griffins? And that's why I came up with the idea of dividing the worlds...so, ok, Libby is guarding a key that divided the worlds. So, then there must be a bad guy who wants that key. Avalon comes in partly because I love Arthurian legend. The Lady of the lake is one of my favorite mythic characters...and I've often wondered what happened to her, since she sort of disappears from the legends, or seems to be one of several women. And who would be the most powerful wizard from legend, the most likely to have the will as well as the ability to split the worlds? Merlin seemed like the best answer.

Does that make sense? I don't mean to ramble on. :)

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I want to ask all of you some questions!

1. What do you think about dragons? Do you have any favorites?

2. Who would you rather live with? A vampire, a werewolf or a ghost?

3. If you were a shape changer, what animal would you become?

4. Who is the most romantic character you've ever read/seen on the
screen?

5. What is the most romantic scene you've ever read/seen on the screen?

Contest one: For a lovely tote bag (here's a link to see it:http://www.cafepress.com/drollerie.188217108 )

Answer any or all of these questions to be put in a random drawing!
I'll pick the winner out at the end of the night by assigning each
post a number, in order, and picking it out of a hat.

TallulahBelle
March 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM

screen?

1) I remember a few Dragons, mostly from Disney films in the past, rather than literature.

I haven't watched "The Reluctant Dragon" or "Pete's Dragon" in a long time, but those were what I thought dragons to be. They are either a good friend or just wanting to go about their business. Personally, I would like them to be like a good friend.

2) Good question. I can think of many reasons to live with all of them and many reason for just the opposite.

Not sure I want a vampire in the house. What if I am running low on blood that day?

Not sure if I want a werewolf either. Think if the shedding problem and the amount of time I would have to spend vacuuming!

Most likely the ghost. Hopefully a friendly one, that wasn't a Peeping Tom.

3) I think after living in this big city for awhile, maybe a bird, to fly over the buildings. In the country I think a horse or a dog.

4) Most romantic character? I've come across a few in my life, and they each have their qualities.

Han Solo was my first, then came Mr. Darcy, then Dream (from The Sandman). Recently it's been Mr Thorton from North and South and The Doctor (#10 from Doctor Who).

5) Most romantic scene? I think there are two scenes that turned me to complete mush:

a) In Braveheart, when William Wallace comes back to his village as a man and hands Murron the thistle she gave him as a child.

b) In Pride & Prejudice when Elizabeth (and the reader) finds out that it was Mr. Darcy who went after Wickham to make him marry Lydia.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Dream! Oh, wow...he was pretty fabulous. He could be pretty cruel sometimes, but I really adored him.

I think Thornton is in one of my favorite romantic moments. Whenever I see "Look back, look back at me" I get all funny inside. That as such a beautiful scene.

sabby07
March 29th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Love them! I just finished Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke. My favorites hummmm-I will have to say that Bianca D'Arc knows how to write dragons great. YUMMY lol
I would rather live with a ghost besides the whole no privacy thing the house would stay clean!
I would be a panther or large cat
screen?
Thomas Crown

The Thomas Crown Affair- Yummy!!!!!!!!smilies/butterfly.gi

Contest one: For a lovely tote bag (here's a link to see it:http://www.cafepress.com/drollerie.188217108 )

Answer any or all of these questions to be put in a random drawing!
I'll pick the winner out at the end of the night by assigning each
post a number, in order, and picking it out of a hat.
I thought this would be easy then I started thinking about all the books ive read LMBO!

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thomas Crown is cool! Thank you for replying!

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
In honor of TallulahBelle, I think I'll post the grocery store scene that we were talking about.

The set up: as the Blue Moon draws closer, so do the two worlds. Odd things start to happen, including the following.

Interlude: Shopping After Midnight

There was a young woman in the all night supermarket, pushing her cart slowly down the aisles. Behind her fruit, cans, jars and boxes of all sorts had sprouted legs and were following her. She pulled over to let an older lady pass.

"Um...miss?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know that youíre...er..." She pointed to the ever growing parade of groceries behind her.

Sigh. "Yeah, I know."

White brows came together. "Young lady, are you on something?"

"Drugs?" Her eyes widened. "Now thereís an idea!" The older woman shuddered slightly, and quickened her pace. The younger one sighed, and looked back at the ever growing conga line behind her. She had once been a creature of magic, and thus in the calm before the blue moon, she would be a lightning rod of sorts, attracting all manner of weirdness. She started toward the register. Perhaps it was time to stay home.

A bottle of pop tripped over something in the floor behind her, and the cheese and an ear of corn helped it right itself.
At the register she dumped the inanimate objects from her cart. The grocery parade had gathered around her, and was looking up at her.

Sigh. "I suppose you all want to go home with me."

There were nods and arm wavings. The pop made itself temporarily unusable by jumping up and down.

"All right, everyone can come. Except you. I hate spinach." She helped the others up onto the conveyor, while the spinach, its leave wilted and dejected looking, turned and walked miserably away.

Her heart felt sorry, and so she said, "Wait! Um, Iíll mix you with the foccacia, itíll be alright." She smiled sweetly at it. "Add a little pasta, maybe some tomatoes, and youíll be a meal to remember, Iím sure." The spinach turned and ran to her feet. She felt its leaves pet her ankles as she picked it up and set it on the belt. The groceries were packing themselves.

"Iím dreaming." the girl at the cash register told her.

"Yeah?"

The girl nodded eagerly, and returned her change.
The customer tilted her head. "Ever hear of Morgan Le Fay?"
The girl shook her head no.

"Pity." The lady said, and loading squirming bags of groceries into her cart, she left.

TallulahBelle
March 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM
That scene was so unexpected to come across, that I really just started laughing out loud. I really like how it was a surprise.

I remember I felt so bad for that bunch of spinach. I went and had a spinach salad the next day.

Cindy, you got me to eat my veggies.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
*laughs* Good! Spinach is good for you. XD

It's probably better in context, because I think things are kind of serious before that, then you have this sort of silly scene, but I couldn't resist.

Before the end of the night, I'll have to post something romantic.

Cindylynn
March 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'm in a light hearted mood, so let's have a happy scene.

After Libby rescues Alex, she drives him back to his hotel, but he insists on going with her shopping,hoping to buy her dinner in thanks for saving his life...and to try to place why he feels so drawn to her. Despite herself, she lets him come. Right now she's in her car outside the front of his hotel, waiting for him to change.

She watched him walk up to the building and disappear through a side door. He was scarcely a romantic figure, a lanky scarecrow of a man squeezed into a black coat. He was
barefoot, his light brown hair was shaggy and in need of a trim.

But he had beautiful gray eyes. Kind eyes. And there was a gentleness about him, an awkward gracefulness in the way he moved, even when he acted like he was uncomfortable in his body. He also had an odd, but appealing sense of humor And an unearthly calmness that soothed her. And the ability to dress and shave very, very quickly.

"Iím back! Iím glad you waited," he looked better, in a pair of dark jeans and a slightly wrinkled dress shirt, but not as comforting. Her coat was over his arm, and he stood back away from the door as if waiting for an invitation. She hit the unlock button, and he folded himself back inside, putting her coat on the back seat.

"I had no choice," she said as she turned the key. "You still had my coat." He laughed, and she grinned, pleased.
She pulled out of the lot, and drove down to the shopping plaza.

"So," he said, grabbing a cart and pushing it through the automatic doors, "Whatís your middle name?"

"Why?" she asked absently, digging out her list. Beauty products first.

"So if I ever get mad at you I can use your whole name. So you know Iím serious."

She laughed. "Guess."

"Rumplestiltskin."

"Uh...no," she knelt in front of the shampoo display, comparing prices.

"Always get the most obvious out of the way, thatís what I always say. How much shampoo are you going to buy?" he asked as she dropped several bottles into the cart.

She gave him a look. He was trying not to laugh.

"Keep guessing," she said in a flat voice.

"Anne? Lynn? Robert? Louise? Richard?"

"Those are guy names!"

"Anne? Really?"

"No, Richard and Robert, as if you didnít know," she grabbed
a bottle off the shelf and opened the cap to smell it. It was too flowery for her taste, and she put it back.

"I know. Iím just being annoying as possible so youíll get tired and blurt out the answer. Iím crap guessing games."

"Lorraine. And you?"

He paused, as if he hadnít considered the quid pro quo portion of the conversation. "I donít have one. Why donít you give me one?"

She laughed, then tried to ignore him while she checked to see if each shampoo had a conditioner mate. "Iím horrible at names."

"Really? Iíd hate to be one of your characters, then." She looked up, surprised, and he made one of her books materialize from out of nowhere. "Same woman?" he asked, holding the cover up to her. She nodded, and he held the book out near her, as if comparing the back cover photo to the reality. "You photograph well, but the reality is still amazingly lovely," he said.

She smiled at him, but inside she was blushing.

"Iíll have to read it," he said.

"No, I donít think so."

"What kind of writer turns away potential royalties? Your agent would not be pleased."

"Well, itís just..." Libby stopped, trying to figure out what to say. It was hard, since she really didnít know what her objection to him reading her book was. "Youíre a guy."

"I am sure that many men, tons of men, in fact, read these. I bet we make up, what? Fifty? Seventy five percent of your market."

"Oh, Iím sure." She looked at him as if he were mad.

"Anyway, if I buy it, I can get you to autograph it. Iíll be able to show it to whatever future progeny I have. ĎYes, this is the signature of the woman who saved my life.í"

She pulled the cart toward her. "If you insist," she muttered. She had other things to worry about, she decided. Things to buy. Royalty checks to make vanish.

"Excellent!" he said, and when she looked up, he was gone.

He caught up with her again next to the TV dinners. He looked at the growing stack of boxes in her cart, then back at her. She waited for a comment, but it didnít seem to bother him.

"Thereís a whole bunch of soup cans under those boxes," she said defensively. He ignored her and held out her book and a pen.

"I nicked it from the display." Her eyes widened. "Iíll take it back," He assured her. "But I want you to sign this before you forget."

"Are you always like this?" she asked.

"No," he said honestly. "You seem to bring it out in me."

She took the book and pen, and looked both directions before taking the cap off. It was a gel pen, filled with metallic purple ink. She paused for a long moment, then wrote, "To Alex Kincaid, please stay off the tracks. Your life saver, Libby."

He grinned widely when he saw the inscription. She handed back the pen. "Please return this before we get into trouble."

"Yes Maíam. IĎll be sure to wipe off your fingerprints first," he said, and disappeared again.

CharmedGirl
March 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Love the excerpt Cindy.

Cindylynn
March 30th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Thank you so much!

One of the things that I would like to mention is that I have a lot of other things in the works. Just today I received a copy of the cover for my next book, and I have a couple of short stories, retold fairy tales, out.

The book is called The Chocolatier's Wife, and it's about a couple who have known all their lives that they are going to marry...a match that their families are not exactly thrilled with. When William is accused of murder, it looks like Tasmin is free of her promise, but even though they've never met, they've written to each other over the years, and she knows she likes him too much to just sit by an leave him to his fate. So she travels to his village to help him solve the mystery. It will be out in ebook in a couple of months, and print in October.

The retold fairy tales include "A Necklace of Rubies" and "Every Word I Speak."

"Necklace" is a gothic feeling story, a take on the Bluebeard myth, and tells of a young woman who takes a risk and marries a mysterious man who can give her everything, love her, and take care of her as long as she doesn't open the very last door in the corridor at the back of the house.

"Every Word" is a take on Charles Perrault's "The Fairies" and tells of a woman who, once, was rewarded for an act of kindness by being enchanted so that with every word she speaks a flower or a precious stone drops from her lips...and the terrible price she must pay.

The two stories will join others of mine to form an anthology, also due out this year.

Cindylynn
March 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM
My day in the sun is officially over. ;) But I would like to continue...please feel free to post any questions here, or comments, and I will be happy to post.

I would also like to congratulate Sabby, for winning the Tote Bag! I'd like your address...could you PM me?

Thanks to everyone who reads this thread, and extra thanks to everyone who participated.

sabby07
March 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
OH Thank You!Bouncy Icon Smilie I sent you a PM

Party Time