PDA

View Full Version : Any questions about pdas or ebook readers?

SusanWhite
October 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hey if anybody has any questions or needed info about pda's or ebook readers just let me know! I've been gathering info and checking out some of the models available. I love my PDA!

Karenne
October 8th, 2006, 11:37 PM
yeah Susan..could you tell us a little bit about the new Sony reader? It is beautiful!

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/MoreImages/ebook_1.jpg http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesOnline/general/shim_clear.gifhttp://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesOnline/general/shim_clear.gif

SusanWhite
November 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yes Karenne I can do that! I haven't personally used one of Sonys new ereaders as yet but I have done a bit of research about the device. It is about the size of a regular paperback, which means it has a larger reading area than many traditional pda's.

I just got a new Tungsten E2 (thanks to Ebay) and I love it. However, I am one to use the other features a pda offers such as an address book, calendar, games etc. But for those who just want a more efficient way to read and nothing else, the Sony Ereader looks like a great bet.

Why an Ereader instead of paperbacks you ask? Well one good reason is that an Ereader can hold what amounts to a large TBR pile in one small space. No more stacks of unread books falling all over the place. According to the articles I have seen, the battery power of the device will hold up to what amounts to 7,500 page turns before needing to be recharged. Paperbacks don't need to be recharged you say?

Ahhh but can you read a paperback without sufficient lighting? The Sony Ereader is backlit which means that the pages are lit from within which makes reading anywhere easily managed. It also means that instead of taking a whole bag of reading material on a business trip or vacation, a reader can download anything they would like to read right on one relatively small device that can be carried in a purse or brieface easily.

Another bit of information you might be interested in is that there is more that can be read on the ereader than just books; Newspapers, magazines, journals and other documents can be easily downloaded from the internet and stored on the device.

A few specs on the reader: The screen of the unit is about 6 inches. It weighs about 9 oz. so it feels extremely light. Audio versions of the books can be listened to through the device if one does not feel like reading visually at the time.

What is the price for all this you ask? At the moment the cost is about $349 but the price will most likely drop in the future. Well, that is about all the information I can offer at the moment. If I ever get my hands on one and can give a first hand account, I definitely will!

Karenne
December 3rd, 2006, 03:55 AM
Thanks Susan!

I will tell you that they are using this as the technology of the future at Disneyland. You know that area where they show the 'wave of the future' they actually talked about it and showed it! :euro:

Lainey
December 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM
OK just what I need.. but where do you get it and how much is it. My luck out of my league I am still on the broke side being sidelined by medical with workers comp to live off of. But maybe I can put it on a wish list for Christmas or my birthday if it is not too too expressively out of site on the $ scale. Where can I go look up the info???

Thanks, Elaine

maura
December 13th, 2006, 10:12 AM
At better than 300 dollars I think I will stick to my ebookwise. It works great and can be expanded to hold more and it is a bargain at 114 dollars right now at the site and that is with an additional 64mb smart media card.

Karenne
January 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah...I know the money thing..why couldn't I be born SUPER rich?? But I love new technology...LOVE IT!

lyne42
February 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM
i recieved the tungsten e2 for the holidays and love it. needless to say i am now addicted to ebooks. my problem though is that i have been trying to down load the mobipocket program and have been unable to. theses are the steps i have been taking and any help would be appreciated.

i down load the program to my computer, then go to the palm quick install and send the program there. the quick install tells me that it has to go to the card. i insert the card and do a hot sync. i then get a message saying that there is no application to support this program. i have tried contacting palm and have never heard back. could anyone help. thanks lyne:swoon:

SusanWhite
February 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
The best advice I can give Lyne is to go download the adobe for palm os program. It's free and can be found here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforpalm.html

The info on the Tungsten may not tell you this but it DOES use Adobe for palm which means that pdf files can be transferred to the palm. Need to convert books to pdf format in order to use them with adobe for palm?
Check out

www.primopdf.com

It's a FREE program that will allow files to be converted to pdf format. I have it downloaded to my computer to make pdf files out of word documents, html files and other formats and it works like a charm.

If you really want to use the mobipocket format, help for mobipocket issues can be found on forums such as this one:

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2976&sid=7f917bd6cfa0828040dcd9528cc780fe

I hope this all helps Lyne.

Susan

Donica
February 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM
:hellobaby: Hey all! I just wanted to pop in and offer my two cents worth. I have a palm Zire 71 and I love it! Yes the screen is rather small but I right now I have over 2000 pages of novels in the memory and there is still room for more! My only complaint with the Zire is that even if the device is turned off the battery still drains and it has to be recharged every couple of weeks or so.

I do want to get a regular reader but until they come down in price I don't see that happening. Besides I dont like buying that kind of stuff off the internet and I havent found them in regular stores. Anyone know of a store that does carry them? (Of course I want al Alphie or a Quickpad and I can't find them in stores either)

I like the idea of an ebook reader because i understand I can make notes in the pages as I need to.

I also saw someone mentioned Primo PDF. I loe my program. I had another one (don't remember the name) and company name and logo were listed on the bottom. Now that I use Primo I can use it to format my monthly newsletters and I can put my manuscripts, research information or anything else I need into ebook format, store it on my palm and I have it with me were ever I go.

My .02$ leave your change at the door! <GGG>

Huggles!
Donica:taz:
www.donicacovey.com (http://www.donicacovey.com/)

maura
April 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
yeah Susan..could you tell us a little bit about the new Sony reader? It is beautiful!

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/MoreImages/ebook_1.jpg http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesOnline/general/shim_clear.gifhttp://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesOnline/general/shim_clear.gif

I just got a PRS 500--I AM NOT HAPPY. It refused to let me go back to the main menu from a book and tech support couldn't help me over the phone. Customer service has no idea what they are doing and I was forced to sent the unit to SONY at MY OWN expense a week after the initial phone calls. They told me they were sending a box-at least three times, when I did not get it in a week, I called again and was told that no such box exists.

Other than that, there is no back light and the title of a book does not always come through in the library, and no you can not edit that. For my money my Ebookwise at one third the price is three times better. Do not wast your money on this useless item.

Karenne
May 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM
Oh Maura! I am so sorry. You poor thing. And that particular piece of equipment is NOT cheap.

Well, I do appreciate you letting me know because I was going to ask for it for my birthday. Sigh....

Anyone else got one they recommend?:detective:

maura
May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
At least I got it on Ebay much cheaper than from SONY. To tell you the truth, I have no complaints about my Ebookwise reader and my Palm Tungsten e is equally easy to use and both are under $200. The Palm requires lots of page turns but you can fit it in your pocket. The Ebookwise, has backlighting(a Definite Plus!) and is a little larger than the Sony and comes with it's own case. I have a Smartmedia 128 MB card in it and now have over 100 books stored.

Oh Maura! I am so sorry. You poor thing. And that particular piece of equipment is NOT cheap.

Well, I do appreciate you letting me know because I was going to ask for it for my birthday. Sigh....

Anyone else got one they recommend?:detective:

maura
May 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I finally got my PRS back from Sony. Good news, they did not charge me to fix it even though it was out of warranty. It works, but I still like my other reader better. Especially for those of us without perfect vision. Some of the Adobe books I loaded onto it have pretty small print even in M mode and vertical. The ebookwise is much easier to read and would be perfect if it read adobe. I am having fun with my new toy now that it finally works, but I got it cheaper on ebay.

maura
November 13th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Just to let everyone know, Sony has reduced the price of the PRS to 299 from 349 dollars and has a new version available in silver or black the 505. It looks like the controls are a bit more user friendly, if they could only adjust the Adobe settings so that someone with less than the eyesight of an eagle can read it.

maura
November 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hey if anybody has any questions or needed info about pda's or ebook readers just let me know! I've been gathering info and checking out some of the models available. I love my PDA!

It looks like Amazon is trying to make some $$$ from ebooks with their new Kindle. It is the same price as the Sony 505 but without the Sony name behind it. They really don't explain much about it on the site and the controls look complicated--has anyone seen or used it?

Maura

Lainey
January 5th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I so desperately want to get an e-reader but also the best ones offered and those that let me have more like pdf on it to be able to transfer many of those I have on my computer maybe to a reader though I doubt I will be allowed it many sites have it so you can only use their own stuff and pay thru the nose for it.

Anyway if you can help and guide me to something good so I can read books wherever I go a handheld like a book would be great.

Thanks so much.
Lainey:notworthy:

maura
January 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
The Sony is great but expensive and most PDF files end up liliputian. The ebookwise is very good, backlit and also changes the size of the font. It does not do pdf, but for most pdf books, if you go to the files and click save as text, it will become a format that is usable. The amberlit pdf converter is about $15 for the program and will translate all pdf to what ever you want. For the money at under 130 dollars I would go with the ebookwise. I have both, as I am a gadget junkie and got both on ebay for much less than the listed price. Overstocks.com sometimes has stuff much cheaper also.

Maura

Catherine Bybee
March 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I thougt I'd rejuvinate this thread. I'm looking for a e-reader and I'm sure something new has come out.

Any new advice on e-readers would be appreciated.

maura
April 7th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I thougt I'd rejuvinate this thread. I'm looking for a e-reader and I'm sure something new has come out.

Any new advice on e-readers would be appreciated.

First, how much do you want to spend? The ebookwise is about $125, the Sony $300 and the Kindle $400. There are a couple of other readers out there that I am not familiar with and you can also read on a PDA, but your thumbs get very tired from turning the pages. I have the first two and love them both for different reasons. The ebookwise is economical, BACKLIT, and the print and orientation adjust easily for lefties and righties. Also when you finish a book you can delete it right away. The Sony has more memory and the battery lasts longer, but you have to be attached to your computer to delete a book. But it is made by Sony, I had to have mine repaired, which I don't know how I would do with the others.

mizztara71
April 7th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have an ebookwise with 64 MB of memory. I see that they sell 128 MB memory cards on ebay. If I replace the 64 MB card will I lose all my books or is there a way to transfer them to the new memory card? I have 70+ books on it that I haven't read. I would rather just purchase a new reader and add the larger memory card than risk losing my ebooks. HELP!

Catherine Bybee
April 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
First, how much do you want to spend? The ebookwise is about $125, the Sony $300 and the Kindle $400. There are a couple of other readers out there that I am not familiar with and you can also read on a PDA, but your thumbs get very tired from turning the pages. I have the first two and love them both for different reasons. The ebookwise is economical, BACKLIT, and the print and orientation adjust easily for lefties and righties. Also when you finish a book you can delete it right away. The Sony has more memory and the battery lasts longer, but you have to be attached to your computer to delete a book. But it is made by Sony, I had to have mine repaired, which I don't know how I would do with the others.

I have more homework to do. Maybe I should wait until the market has more options. It sounds as if you give up one for another. Price for memory I expect, but I don't want to lose my books.
Thanks for a place to start.

maura
April 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
With the ebookwise you can get extra memory cards and there is a library where you can store your books, I store them on jump/flash/thumb drives anyway and load them onto the reader when needed. You never lose a book unless you want to. Same with the Sony. Both have libraries that stay on your computer.

JoAnne Kenrick
September 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Here's a tip that helped me when I was shopping for an eReader! -- know what you want it for, because with a sea of endless features that vary for each model, you'll need to know what's important to your reading experience to be able to make a decision.

Is buying books on your device very important to you, rather than using a computer? Do you want to play games on it? Or an mp3 player? Or do you want to be able to read different kinds of formats on your reader? How about organize your books into series and genres or favorite authors?

Know what you need before you go browsing.

Then... YOUTUBE is a great place for window shopping. There are tons and tons of video reviews on almost ALL the readers available. You get to see how they look and work. Where the memory card slots are, how fast page loads are, and hear experiences from the reviewers. Also, there are comparison videos so you can see models side by side.

And ask around. If you've narrowed it down, start asking questions on forums about peoples experiences with the readers you have in mind. Google the product name of the readers along with words such as 'problem' or 'broken' and 'bad service' etc... so you can go into your decision fully loaded with all the information you need.

Good luck!