PDA

View Full Version : Read Me 1st. The Story of I Introductions, Hellos and I-Spys (Well, who do you do?)

sjwilling
April 1st, 2008, 12:52 AM
Hey everyone.

This is the phase of the seminar when everyone looks around and says “Who the Hell is that guy?” So why don’t we spend a few minutes just tossing back the beers, margaritas and brandies and chat a little bit about ourselves. Go on, you know it will feel good. It will also help me figure out how much experience everyone has in the humor game and allow me to fine tweak (if fine tweaking is a usable phrase) the teaching aspect of it. (Don’t worry, you don’t have to make your intro funny, just let me know how much you’ve been involved in writing humor. i.e is this is your first time, middle time, last time, etc…)

Just so’s you know a little bit about me here’s my intro below.

I write as S.J. Willing and S.J. Hundak. Under my Willing moniker I’ve got two publications under my belt in the form of the PIACT Undercover Agent Series, (Cyberius III and Poseidon VII.) I write Science Fiction romance which is rather spicy, not too humorous but there is, if you look, some odd lighthearted moments in there. I also write the many Agent Double D.3 reports that are bumping around the net, as well as a regular humor column in The Brass Spectacle magazine. With my Hundak moniker I’ve written several novels including a farcical parody of fantasy entitled Huw’s the Hero, which is in the final beta-ready-to-go-to-publisher stage. And I am a co-author for a cute SF comedy entitled Space Burps which is nearing completion. Nothing in the SF world, alas, published yet—but soon, my precious, soon…

I’m happily married, no kids, four cats and a dog, a live-in granny, MIL and an emerald swimming pool that is warm enough to swim in for three weeks of the year. I was born in England and have lived in America now for eight years and haven’t been able to swim back, mainly because my wife keeps catching me. My main claim to humor is being the one who, at the convention parties, runs around the room in pink frilly underwear and a hockey mask shouting the “The Russians are coming!” whenever they bring a vodka martini into the room.

I’m giving this Seminar for free and without duress because I love you guys and gals and want to share my knowledge and experience with you. Not to mention as soon as it’s over Karenne will gladly remove the manacles.

So come on in, shake hands and tell us all a little bit about yourselves. Make yourselves comfy and the lessons will begin.

MaiaStrong
April 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'll take an Irish coffee, if the bar is still serving. coffeecupdrinker

Since I'm reading this seminar and I believe in trying to follow directions (Never mind that incident at that party where I was required to wear a label that said, "I cannot follow written instructions."), a little about me:

I've been writing for as long as I can remember, with evidence dating back to the mid-1970s. (Sometimes being a pack-rat is a good thing.) I've always included humour in my writing, except during that overwrought pubescent era in one's life when everything is about the angst and one forgets that angst without humour is nothing but self-indulgent crap. I like to think I got over that somewhere around 1983.

My first novel is coming out 10 June from Samhain Publishing. It's a steamy gay fantasy romance that I hope people will find amusing when they're meant to and don't when they're not.

I find Shakespeare's tragedies to be much funnier than the comedies, for just as angst is nothing without humour, humour is nothing without angst. I never can get completely on board with the travails of his comedic heroes and heroines.

I love coffee, baseball, my husband, and our cat--not necessarily in that order.

mamasand2
April 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hi SJ, You have already crossed words with me, but for the record:
I am an addicted reader, not a writer(and never will be). The only thing I have written is computer programs, systems layouts, and an occasional how to manual for our software packages.

I am a mother of 5, grandmother of 13, widowed, and taking early retirement due to being laid off in the state with the highest unemployment.

That gave me lots of free time to explore the world of ebooks and cafe's, etc. Which led me to my current position as moderator (in training) for SamhainCafe. End of story and FREE TIME. LOL

I'm taking this seminar to be able to learn to use humor in my posts, letters and emails.

And to defend myself from a certain witty author who spends time on our cafe.

sandie

sjwilling
April 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'll take an Irish coffee, if the bar is still serving. coffeecupdrinker

One Irish Coffee to please. :) Great to see you here Maia, got any excerpts I can peek at? (hey, I never said I wasn't nosy :))

I hope you find the seminar enjoyable and informative. I certainly learned a lot when I was putting it together. :smartass:

Hi SJ, You have already crossed words with me, but for the record: I am an addicted reader, not a writer(and never will be). I am a mother of 5, grandmother of 13,

Hi Sandie! Thanks for coming along. Believe it or not I have ten grandkids. :) And Crossing words with you is fun, though it does blunt the pencils a lot. :roflmao:

I'm taking this seminar to be able to learn to use humor in my posts, letters and emails.

Well, there will be exercises and lessons to help you stretch your comedy muscles so you should be able to pick up something. The one thing every comedian and humor writer will tell you is that humor is the most difficult thing to write. So don't be discouraged if you don't pick it up and write fluent humor within a week. It took me almost thirty years to get to this stage in my writing. :eek: Well, I am a slow learner as my wife will tell you.

And to defend myself from a certain witty author who spends time on our cafe.

:lol: Who's the one who needs defending here? I seem to recall a certain person who has to pose in a pink negligee :wideeyed: .

sandie

mamasand2
April 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I did NOT start that. That was you and tree, and a few of your friends(?).

All I did was add a few itty bitty comments to get your thread post count up.

I'm innocent until proven guilty!
sandie

sjwilling
April 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I did NOT start that. That was you and tree, and a few of your friends(?).

All I did was add a few itty bitty comments to get your thread post count up.

I'm innocent until proven guilty!
sandie

You voted the wrong way :lol:

S.J.

MaiaStrong
April 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
One Irish Coffee to please. :) Great to see you here Maia, got any excerpts I can peek at? (hey, I never said I wasn't nosy :))

I'm fine with nosy. ;) I'm sure I can come up with something for you peek at tomorrow when I have time to paw through my manuscripts. Tonight it's dinner time and then there's baseball to watch and a dance rehearsal to get to. Busy-busy evening. Oy.

mamasand2
April 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
You voted the wrong way :lol:

S.J.

Tuff stuff SJ. Suck it up and move on. LOLOLOL

If you had bought tree the large screen TV she wanted ......smilies/1poke.gif

sandie

Alexis
April 2nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
Intro from Alex

For those who don't know me, I'm Alexis Fleming and I live across the pond in Australia. I write fantasy and Sci Fi/futuristic romance, contemporary and paranormal erotic romance. Heck, it doesn't seem to matter what I write, I never could close the bedroom door. I have books in both ebook format and print.

I never deliberately set out to be funny in my books. They just seem to turn out that way. It's this quirky brain I have. lol Gets me into trouble for laughing at things when others don't find them funny.

Alex

DanaMarieBell
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
My doctor says I'm not allowed coffee. Do we have any tea? Spiced Chai would be nice...

I'm Dana Marie Bell, and my first novella is coming out this month from Samhain. I'm also the one who may have, accidentally, mentioned Barbie-sized stuff on the Cafe... (cough)...

sjwilling
April 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
My doctor says I'm not allowed coffee. Do we have any tea? Spiced Chai would be nice...

I'm Dana Marie Bell, and my first novella is coming out this month from Samhain. I'm also the one who may have, accidentally, mentioned Barbie-sized stuff on the Cafe... (cough)...

Great to see ya here Dana, And we'll forget the Barbie for now, I'm sure my wife is hinding somewhere to congratulate you though. LOL

S.J.

sjwilling
April 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm fine with nosy. ;) I'm sure I can come up with something for you peek at tomorrow when I have time to paw through my manuscripts. Tonight it's dinner time and then there's baseball to watch and a dance rehearsal to get to. Busy-busy evening. Oy.

I look forward to seeing it Maia. :)

Intro from Alex

For those who don't know me, I'm Alexis Fleming and I live across the pond in Australia. I write fantasy and Sci Fi/futuristic romance, contemporary and paranormal erotic romance. Heck, it doesn't seem to matter what I write, I never could close the bedroom door. I have books in both ebook format and print.

I never deliberately set out to be funny in my books. They just seem to turn out that way. It's this quirky brain I have. lol Gets me into trouble for laughing at things when others don't find them funny.

Alex

Glad you could make it Alexis. Pull up a chair, and we'll start the Bar-b-que.

Oh, wait, this isn't a beach party. Duh!

S.J.

MaiaStrong
April 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I look forward to seeing it Maia. :)
I'm skimming through my manuscript for the book I have coming out in June looking for funny bits. I'm rapidly realizing that they're falling very much into the Character Humor category. So nothing LOL funny, but rather quietly amusing or chuckle-worthy...at least to me. Here's one wee snippet:

They settled their baggage on <st1>Milo</st1>, who protested with a whicker. "Hush, you whiner," Ricky scolded the mare. "You've carried more and been none the worse for it."

Jimothy remembered something from the previous evening and chanced a question clothed in lightness so as not to cause suspicion or upset. "Does she ever answer back?"

Ricky looked at him intently, reading the question right despite its tone. "Not to me. But I once knew someone who said this horse had the foulest vocabulary she'd ever heard outside a sailors' bar."

Jimothy shook his head, amused. "I can't even begin to imagine."<o></o>

"Blessed Martha," exclaimed Ricky in mock horror. "Who would want to?"
Or there's this exchange a little bit later between the tavern hostess and the hero:

"That'll get him moving quicker," Maeve said to Jimothy, a smile quirking her delicate mouth. "Japheth is never one to turn down something that will bring an honest profit. Let me know if you need anything more."<o></o>

"Only your charming company," said Jimothy gallantly.<o>

</o> She laughed. "The last Minstrel we had here was just as good at the shallow flattery," she said without malice.<o>

</o> "Madam, you wound me!" Jimothy placed a hand dramatically over his heart. It only made Maeve laugh harder, and he grinned back. "You caught me. I need directions."<o>

</o> "To where?"<o>

</o> "The Heathers." Maeve made a face. "That bad?" he asked.<o>

</o>"Have you been to Couvin before?"<o>

</o> Jimothy shook his head. "No."<o>

</o> "I'll draw you a map."
Okay, and because we all know everything is funnier in threes ;), here's one that made one of my beta readers laugh out loud:

"Take it with you. You earned it and I can't resell it, so enjoy it."<o>

</o> "Thanks," he said again. He gathered goblet, mug, pouch, and guitar. It was a bit of a juggling act, but he managed to balance it all. "Good night, ladies."<o>

</o> "Good night, Jimothy," said Maeve, holding the curtain open for him. "And good work."<o>

</o>"Sleep tight, handsome," Vashti called after him as the curtain fell closed behind him. He could just hear her added, "Nice ass," as he headed up the stairs.<o></o><o></o>

I do remember once writing a Silly Humor scene (nothing related to this story) involving a recalcitrant bottle of ketchup, but I don't feel I can take comedic credit for it because, well, I stole it from RL. My friend even looked at me at the time and said, "That's going to end up in a story, isn't it?" lol

sjwilling
April 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I like it Maia. you definitely do lean towards the character interaction humor.

The Nice Ass comment is a typical situational reverse, something you would expect from man and startles the reader into laughter because it's coming from the woman instead. :)

S.J.

hollie
April 3rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
SJ when are planing on finding time to sleep?
never mind unfortunatly i'm not going to be around for this cos i'm going to Scotland (i know you would never of guessed) so i thought i'd wish you luck :martini-1: not that you need it usually you are tooooo funny

sjwilling
April 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
SJ when are planing on finding time to sleep?
never mind unfortunatly i'm not going to be around for this cos i'm going to Scotland (i know you would never of guessed) so i thought i'd wish you luck :martini-1: not that you need it usually you are tooooo funny

Well it will still be here when you get back :) Have a good trip Hollie
S.J.

MaiaStrong
April 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
I like it Maia. you definitely do lean towards the character interaction humor.
Thanks. Yeah, it's all about the banter with me, it seems. Maybe it comes from my first writing being plays. *shrug*

sjwilling
April 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks. Yeah, it's all about the banter with me, it seems. Maybe it comes from my first writing being plays. *shrug*

Hey it works and that's the main thing. :) maybe you'll pick up some other ways through the seiminar too. Then you'll really shock the readers LOL

S.J.

Shelley Munro
April 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hi SJ!

Waving to Alexis. I'm Shelley, and I live in New Zealand. I also bear the quirky gene, and while I don't necessarily start out to write funny, it seems to happen on a regular basis. My first sale to Ellora's Cave was Talking Dogs, Aliens and Purple People Eaters, and I've gone from there...

Shelley

sjwilling
April 4th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hi SJ!

Waving to Alexis. I'm Shelley, and I live in New Zealand. I also bear the quirky gene, and while I don't necessarily start out to write funny, it seems to happen on a regular basis. My first sale to Ellora's Cave was Talking Dogs, Aliens and Purple People Eaters, and I've gone from there...

Shelley

LOL well you're certainly in the right place :) Thanks for popping in Shelley. Second lesson will pop up later today

S.J.

hollie
April 4th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hi SJ!

Shelley

I still want the book Shelley soon i will have it soon

Anya Delvay
April 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi S.J. and everyone else who got here ahead of me...I'm Jamaican, and still sometimes go on Jamaica Time (the basic equation being the last to arrive and the last to leave, usually with a drink still in hand, thanking you for breakfast) even though I now live in the Frozen North. I just got my issue of the Samhellion and when I saw this being advertised, I HAD to high tail it over here and check it out. S.J. always makes me laugh on the loops etc.

Talk about fortuitous circumstances...I'm in the process of working on a humorous story, and I'm not quite sure it's working out. A friend also wants to collorate with me on a novel that really will depend on humour to work out, and I'm shaking in my boots. Hmmm, could it be because most of my books lean toward darkness, rather than light???

Running off to read the first two lessons. Thanks for doing this S.J.!

sjwilling
April 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hi S.J. and everyone else who got here ahead of me...I'm Jamaican, and still sometimes go on Jamaica Time (the basic equation being the last to arrive and the last to leave, usually with a drink still in hand, thanking you for breakfast) even though I now live in the Frozen North. I just got my issue of the Samhellion and when I saw this being advertised, I HAD to high tail it over here and check it out. S.J. always makes me laugh on the loops etc.

Talk about fortuitous circumstances...I'm in the process of working on a humorous story, and I'm not quite sure it's working out. A friend also wants to collorate with me on a novel that really will depend on humour to work out, and I'm shaking in my boots. Hmmm, could it be because most of my books lean toward darkness, rather than light???

Running off to read the first two lessons. Thanks for doing this S.J.!

YW Anya, and thanks for coming over. The Samhellion ad eh. Hah! selling my soul did work :)

Humor writing is the hardest form of writing there is. So don't lose heart if it doesn't fall into place immediately. It can be learned but sometimes you have to work a little harder at it. And feel free to sling any questions at me you like, I'm almost always available--just don't tell the wife that. :)

I wouldn't like to say I've totally mastered the comic side of writing, let's just say I've been writing humor for thirty years, and upset enough people, dodged enough lynch mobs and bribed enough executioners to have a good idea when it doesn't work. So I'll answer your questions the best that I can.

:arghhhh:

S.J.