PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite scary movie?

AllyBlue
October 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I have several, depending on my mood at any given time. Some chronic favorites:
Alien
An American Werewolf In London
Night of the Living Dead
Ringu

What scares you, and why?

Karenne
October 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I love Nightmare on Elm Street, Part III and I love all of the Night of the Living Dead movies.

But my favorite type of horror movie is the bad B movie! Love them!!!

AllyBlue
October 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
OH I know, the B movies are soooo great!
Hey did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater 3000? I LOVED that show! They skewer some of the worst movies ever LOL

Megan Rose
October 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I would say that The Ring and The Grudge scare me. They just seem so sinister without actually making you jump with fright.

Karenne
October 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Have you seen The Grudge 2?

AllyBlue
October 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Megan, I liked The Ring and The Grudge also, those were cool! I think the original Japanese versions were even better, though. Particulary Ringu, because you never once saw Samara's face. It made here REALLY creepy.

I haven't seen The Grudge 2, is it any good?

Karenne
October 24th, 2006, 11:25 PM
What about Silent Hill? I saw it this weekend. Besides the weird part towards the end...I really liked it. Plus, I really liked the ending! Blew my hubby's mind away! :1eye:

IM Cupnjava
October 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Saw scared me. Maybe not scared, but distrubed. Dark, twisted, and a great protrayal of human predators.

AllyBlue
October 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I haven't seen Silent Hill yet. It looks pretty spooky though. Saw kept me up nights. VERY disturbing O_O

IM Cupnjava
October 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM
I haven't seen Silent Hill yet. It looks pretty spooky though. Saw kept me up nights. VERY disturbing O_O

I've tried to wrap my mind around a plot bunny -- any plot bunny -- that might capture the deep-seated raw terror that Raw had and I can't do it yet. It's a goal though.

jennzilla
October 28th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Saw scared me. Maybe not scared, but distrubed. Dark, twisted, and a great protrayal of human predators.

The part of Saw (both movies) that bothered me was the filth. I don't mean dirty language, sex, or violence, but actual, yeck, filth! The movie takes place in a bathroom, and it's grungy gross! I know this seems silly to be squicked about that, but really, I'd be the person screaming for a box of Comet and some rubber gloves, the heck with a hacksaw. EW.

The movies that scare me are the creepy ones. Not the slash and gore. I can sort of squint through those. My top five fave weird/scary movies.

1. Blair Witch had a scene where they were in the tent and 'something' was happening, but nobody, not you, or the 'actors' were certain what was outside brushing the sides and making strange whispering noises in the woods. That totally freaked me out. That part at the end where they're in the corner though, what the crap was THAT all about? Were they naughty or what? Sheesh.

2. In Nosferatu, the part where that pointed eared FREAK :devil: climbs up the wall like some human-sized and way less handsome spiderman still makes me squeal like a little baby... boy (notice I'm not saying girl here) Hated vamps for a long time because of that thing.

3. Twilight Zone the Movie had the scene on the plane with the banshee plane ripper that makes me flip out, as it combines long nailed scary demons with saggy boobies and flying. And then, the quiet freaky voice of the man that asks his friend, "You wanna see somethin' really scary?" and then he shows him :alien: Gah!

4. Creepshow was campy but it had some scary parts too..
Baboon-thing that ate Adrienne Barbeau (eew!)
Cheers' Sam as a Zombie!! (ooh but I liked him as one!) and Naked Gun's own Leslie Nielsen as a *gasp* baddie!
Roach's Revenge was really really really bad!
Stephen King rocked as a redneck with a meteorite mange.

5. Silver Bullet: Another one of those King things :) I do love this man. This is based on the book called Cycle of the Werewolf by the author. I liked Gary Busey as the uncle of Corey Hiam (the cute one) who plays a kid in a souped up wheelchair on the trail of a werewolf that is stalking the citizens of yet another Maine town. Jeez, Stephen and Jessica Fletcher kill off all the peeps in the northern states, between those two, there shouldn't be a yankee left standing. Loved the movie, though, and I have all this man's books. It explains a lot about my psyche, I'm sure.

Jenna, :devil:
The Killer Clown from the Southern State

IM Cupnjava
October 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I've not seen any of those movies. :pinch:

I did see Creep Show 2 and it did nothing for me.

<ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Pet</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Cemetery</st1:PlaceType> scared me, but I'm not sure why.
<O:p</O:p
The part in Silence of the Lambs that bothered me the most is seeing her fingernails in the mud of the pit. Took me several attempts to watch the movie past that point.

There is one movie that rocked my world. I can't remember the name of it and saw it when I was too young to watch such movies. It involved a good guy, a bad guy and a woman. The bad guy kidnapped women covered them with plaster and turned them into living mannequins. Needless to say, the bad guy had his sights set on the woman. The good guy kept helping her. Finally at the end of the movie, the good guy and the woman are in a truck running for safety and the viewer realizes both men are the same guy.

There's one scene where she's trapped in the attic and the mannequins lean over her with their mouths dropped open. I don't know why, but that was the scariest part of the movie. Gave me nightmares for way too long.

Karenne
October 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
The Book Pet Cemetary...now that scared me. I didn't like the movie...I know this sounds stupid but I couldn't get past the fact that the cat was the wrong color! Stupid I know, but little things like that make me nuts and I can't enjoy the movie!

And that other one by Stephen King....the one about the end of the world and only the choosen ones (or not necessarily choosen ones) survived. And the old lady who live in a corn field in some remote place who would send out dreams and such. Now that scared me. I think it was just the thought of it. I did like the movie. It was pretty true to form.

IM Cupnjava
October 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The Book Pet Cemetary...now that scared me. I didn't like the movie...I know this sounds stupid but I couldn't get past the fact that the cat was the wrong color! Stupid I know, but little things like that make me nuts and I can't enjoy the movie!

And that other one by Stephen King....the one about the end of the world and only the choosen ones (or not necessarily choosen ones) survived. And the old lady who live in a corn field in some remote place who would send out dreams and such. Now that scared me. I think it was just the thought of it. I did like the movie. It was pretty true to form.

The Stand.

That didn't scare me at all. The first time I tried to watch it, I fell asleep. My husband loves that movie. I think it's all right, but it didn't grab me.

Karenne
November 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM
That was it! The Stand. I think it bothered me most was the whole 'idea' of the end....not the actual story line.

Does that make sense?

IM Cupnjava
November 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM
That was it! The Stand. I think it bothered me most was the whole 'idea' of the end....not the actual story line.

Does that make sense?

As a child who grew up with regular nightmares associated with MAD (mutal assured destruction) I can completely and totaly relate to the end of everything being terrifying.

Linda L Lattimer
November 11th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I bought The Grudge, but haven't been able to put it in the machine and watch it, especially after my daughter told me about it. I still have haunts from the Ring when the woman comes out of the TV.

I still recall the first Friday the 13th when Kevin Bacon is lying on the bed and bingo.

But I did watch the older version of the Dracula movie with the Frank guy a while back and enjoyed that, too.

Hugs Linda

Karenne
November 12th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Well Linda..you probably shouldn't watch the Grudge then honey. It will give you bad dreams.:ph34r:

jennzilla
December 11th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I bought The Grudge, but haven't been able to put it in the machine and watch it, especially after my daughter told me about it. I still have haunts from the Ring when the woman comes out of the TV.
I still recall the first Friday the 13th when Kevin Bacon is lying on the bed and bingo.

I despise the Grudge because the creaking noise she makes is the same one my aunt used to make to scare me as a little kid.. EEEEK! :wacko: What a lovely childhood I had huh?

The Ring and I do NOT get along at all. Something about the way that kid moves freaks me out. She's pure evil, like most children can be at the best of times without having demonic powers to help them along. Gah! My daughter didn't help by sneaking into my room with her long dark hair over her face whispering.. "You all must suffer." Did I mention demon? If not.. I'll repeat it .. DEMON! :devil:

They also move like that in either Hill House or House on Haunted hill.. the remake of the film that had Vincent Price in the original. I'm not sure of the name. That herkyjerky movement just does something.. *shudder* The monster thingit scared me so bad that I had bad dreams for about a week that he was standing at the foot of my bed staring at me. This is a common theme for my nightmares.. things at the foot of my bed... *shrugs* Well, finally I get over it and stop having to sleep glued to my hubby's non-existant white man/redneck butt when I'm watching those student movies and lo and behold one of them had worked on this movie as an intern because they let him use the jerky monster in HIS short film! The dreams started all over again.

But I remember the Kevin Bacon scene, for a whole other reason. My my my. I was so happy that I got to see practically nekkie Bacon as a teen then to be traumatized by the sight of a Bacon-kebob.. well, just darn.

However, Friday the 13th films were always at camp and campy as well. Loved those as well as Nightmare on Elm St. Freddie was the Brain and Jason was the muscle of the duo. I was really disappointed when those two finally got together, cause I really wanted more of a collaboration less of a WWF let's get ready to rummbbblllee! type of thing.

:sleep1: Tre bored. I'd rather watch Hacksaw Dugan and JYD go at it.

lcsamano
January 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I would have to say my favorite movies are The Ring and The Village. I want to see Silent Hill but everytime we go to the rental place it is all out. Oh well I can wait. I hear that it is really scary. I also like Silence of the Lambs. Can't wait to see Hannibel's Rising.

EGParsons
October 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Here's one I bet not many have heard of: "The Gravediggers" I love old horror films, but this one really got to me. All about being buried alive. And those creepy little grave diggers always popping out unexpectedly--causing me to jump out of my skin. Geesh, hadn't thought about that movie for awhile. Great question. :) Elizabeth

Jenifer
October 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I Loved Friday the 13th, partly because the lake scene was filmed not far from my house. The Village was good, didn't get to see the end because i had to work!

Linda L Lattimer
October 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I haven't seen Gravediggers, now I want to. I did like the first Friday the 13th

Linda

Jennifer
October 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I love all of the "Saw" movies. I'm excited to see that they have another one coming out!

Dani
October 10th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I can't watch the Friday the 13th movies. They scare the living crap out of me. I can't tell you why either, I mean I know they're fake, but they give me nightmares for weeks. I had to watch part 5 once over at a friend of my dad's house because that's what everyone was watching and I woke up screaming three nights in a row (I was 10 at the time) and had to sleep with the closet light on cause I kept seeing Jason at my door. Needless to say that my mom was pissed off at my dad for letting it happen.

Ones I do like are Silver Bullet, Sleepwalkers, Saw 1 & 2 (I've only seen them so far), Halloween 4 & 5, the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, The Lost Boys, The Howling 2 (that was funny actually), Alien VS Predator, both the Predator movies and too many more to mention.

Linda L Lattimer
October 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I have seen some of the Saw movies, and I can't believe I am sitting through them but will see the other one I know when it finally comes out on video. Oh, The Ring bothered me for a long time, when I saw the ending, and even now at night I can't think about it. I have yet to see The Grudge and I even bought it but just haven't had the heart yet to watch it, after my daughter told me about it.

Linda