PDA

View Full Version : Let Them Eat Cake

Shelley Munro
April 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/wp-content/image-headlines/bea1e84d41c3e9594e49f39d15e20b94.png (http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/2008/04/05/let-them-eat-cake/)

This story hit the news in New Zealand yesterday. An Auckland primary school has decided to adhere strictly to the new national healthy eating guidelines and will ban birthday cakes from the school.

My initial reaction was WHAT???? How can they take this polictical correctness and adherence to stupid rules so far? What harm does a slice of birthday cake do to a kid? Frankly, I was horrified.

I happened to catch an interview with the school principal on the news last night. Yes, itís true. They are banning birthday cakes from the school and part of the reason is because they believe in the healthy eating guidelines. However, the main reason is the entire birthday cake thing has turned into an expensive competition between parents. Evidently the kids prefer expensive cakes purchased from a bakery and when the cake needs to be big enough to feed 30 children, that means serious money. Some parents couldnít afford to pay for a cake and others, with busy lives, didnít have time to bake a cake. The school took the decision to ban all cakes and remove the extra expensive from the parentsí budget, because after all, educating a child these days is expensive enough without adding extras.

The owner of the local bakery was also interviewed. Wonít it cut into profits? the reporter asked. No, not really. Parents still purchased cakes from her bakery but the cakes were shared after school with close friends and family. Wasnít that what birthdays were about? No, the bakery owner wasnít concerned in the slightest.

After hearing all this, I was much happier, but I notice that most of the media still chose to highlight the healthy food guidelines rather than the commonsense rationale behind the decision.

You can read the story here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10501994).

We never had birthday cake at school. We had after-school parties where we invited our friends. What do you do with regard to birthday cakes?

sabby07
April 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Shelly,
I know your pain on this one! At my sons school you can't bring in balloons (fire hazard). My oldest son can only bring in store bought Cup Cakes and they have to be sealed. My younger son can't bring in anything because his classroom is a peanut free zone. This also means when he brings his lunch he cant bring anything with wheat or nuts-aka bread, peanut butter,some crackers. I understand the peanut allergy but its a PITA trying to make him a lunch to bring.

Jennifer Shirk
April 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I saw a news report in this country too that some schools were banning b-day cakes. But their reasoning was because with the amount of kids in a classroom it was adding up to a lot of sweets that were being brought in throughout the year.

I brought in cupcakes for my daughter's birthday. My school welcomed it. Cheerleader

hollie
April 13th, 2008, 08:53 AM
on birthdays our kids take in sweets you know the little fun size things it costs a few £s and there isn't much competition as it's usually the kids that pick them. they are given out at the end of the day as the kids are leaving so if someone goes over the top it's easy for the teacher to 'forget'. we still have alot of party's its a big thing here and that can get compeative

Shelley Munro
April 14th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Balloons are a fire hazard? Jeesh!

I can understand how with a large classroom that there might be a surplus of sweets etc, but sometimes I think we have so many rules and regulations that all the fun is squeezed out of the most innocent activities.

Shelley

Dani
April 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I used to have a birthday cake or cup cakes for the kids at my son's daycare when he was small. Because he was in a pod with a lot of hyperactive kids they asked that we not have a lot of sugary things like that brought in. I can totally understand that too because we're talking about kids that had all kinds of disorders on the autistic spectrum and some were on special diets. I got around it by finding out what they could have (like little candies and what not). Since his birthday is the day before Halloween, I'd make up little Halloween cups filled with a few candies, gum, and small toys (spider rings, pencils and things like that) and have them hand it out at the end of the day.

hollie
April 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
we only allow sweets at the end of the day the children aren't allowed then at playtime or with lunch