PDA

View Full Version : FREE! Novel serialisation

KSAugustin
April 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM
No, I'm not fibbing. I have a full-length novel that's been burning a hole through my hard disk for the past few months. So, I've decided to serialise it on my website. That is, you get one chapter a week, on approximately each Wednesday

As senior officer with the Perlim Empire, Cheloi Sie is committed to her mission. Unfortunately, it's not the one the Empire gave her.

War Games is a Space Opera Romance and is about 81,000 words in length. Here is the blurb:
Cheloi Sie is a combat officer. She has been sent to clear and secure one of the most important territories in the latest war with planetary rebels. She is efficient, ruthless, and seemingly invulnerable. She is also hiding a secret big enough to blow the Empire apart.

Koul Grakal-Ski is the man she displaced in the chain of command. His fierce ambition was publicly thwarted by Sie's appointment. He, too, is efficient, ruthless...and looking for revenge.

Garza Yinalna is the woman dropped in the middle. Quick-witted and dexterous, she has her own agenda, but does she have the will to carry it through?

Cheloi, Koul, Garza. A lethal triangle. How far will each go to gain victory over the others? Who will they kill? Who will they save? Who are they really?
If that sounds like something you'd like to read, you can grab the prologue and first chapter at my website (http://www.ksaugustin.com).

War Games is under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works licence, which means you can read it, print it, pass it along to friends, put it through a voice synthesiser if you like, but no commercial use, nor derivative works based on the original, are allowed.

Happy reading!

Koshkalady
April 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
:spacecraft::tank: :helloooo: readingbookfast Thank you for the free read. I have it setup in word so I can print it out as a book when it is complete I even included the picture for a cover. It has been awhile since I have read a space opera so it should be a nice change of pace.

KSAugustin
April 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Koshkalady!

Please don't spend too much time on doing that (unless you want to!). If people like War Games, I'll bundle it into PDF, HTML and Mobipocket downloads when it's done. (I'm experimenting with the Mobipocket Creator at the moment.)

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Koshkalady
April 29th, 2008, 10:50 PM
:welcome1: addmilk.gif Not a problem. Keep your writing muses busy.

CharmedGirl
April 30th, 2008, 05:15 AM
The cover is beautiful KZ.

KSAugustin
April 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Hey Bec!

The minute I saw the Sombrero galaxy on the NASA site, I knew I had to have it! (My preciousssssss... )

'Cos, ya know, me, the usual stock photos and Photoshop ... a match made in hell, that's all I'm sayin'.

Kaz!

hollie
April 30th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Koshkalady!

Please don't spend too much time on doing that (unless you want to!). If people like War Games, I'll bundle it into PDF, HTML and Mobipocket downloads when it's done. (I'm experimenting with the Mobipocket Creator at the moment.)

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

showing my lack of knowledge again never heard of mobipocket but i'm guessing it's for book readers (which i haven't got anyway) but if you can put it in pdf when it's done it means i don't have to work out how :huepfen017:

KSAugustin
April 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
PDF. It's on The List. :)

Dani
April 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a great plan to me! :biggrin:

KSAugustin
May 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Chapter Two is now available
at
http://www.ksaugustin.com (http://www.ksaugustin.com/)!

hollie
May 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
thanks Kaz

KSAugustin
May 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM
To whet your appetite...

THE STORY SO FAR: Senior Colonel Cheloi Sie is the cool, disciplined commander of Territory Nineteen, a strategic area of land that's being held by the Perlim Empire in its bid to crush the rebels on its satellite planet of Menon IV. Her fiercest ally is her adjutant, Major Rumis Swonnessy, and her deadliest enemy is her second-in-command, Sub-Colonel Koul Grakal-Ski.

Two months after Cheloi's driver/aide is killed in an apparent rebel attack, a replacement is found, but all it does is increase Cheloi's suspicions, because her new driver is attractive and female ... and Koul found her. Is she really who she says she is? Is she really who Koul says she is? Despite her reservations, Cheloi finds herself attracted to her aide. As is her adjutant, Rumis.

Read Chapter Three for a continuation of War Games (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126), and a twist in the tale... (There'll be another twist in Chapter Four!)

KSAugustin
May 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM
To whet your appetite...

THE STORY SO FAR: For the first time since Garza was assigned as Cheloi's driver, they are to have dinner together. But there are other events to ponder in between the blazing attraction between the two women, such as the recent military exercise that showed Cheloi a side of Garza that was unexpected. As for Garza, all is not as it appears either.

Read Chapter Four for a continuation of War Games (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126), and another twist in the tale...

KSAugustin
May 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
THE STORY SO FAR: There is a strong attraction flaring between Cheloi Sie and her driver, Garza Yinalna. But after their first heated kiss, Garza flees, aghast at how she has succumbed to her passion for her superior officer. Besides, it wasn't in her mission plan to find Cheloi a sympathetic character. She knows her better as the Butcher of Sab-Iqur.

In Chapter Five (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) of War Games, we find out a little more of Cheloi's history. And, of course, while Garza may have escaped the Colonel once before, as her driver and aide, it's inevitable that they talk alone again. After that first embrace, who will now say what to whom?

FAVOURITE CHAPTER QUOTES:

Cheloi: “There isn’t a military structure anywhere in the universe that’s airtight. They leak news, gossip and classified orders the way an antique spacesuit leaks atmosphere.”

Cheloi & Copan:
She looked at Copan. “You’re trying to distract me, aren’t you? Getting me to think of someone else besides Rumis.”
“Is it working?”
“Yes.”
“Then, in that case, yes. I am trying to distract you.”
His face was serious, but his eyes twinkled.

Garza: Garza cleared her throat. In one hand she held the Colonel’s uniform, recently laundered. In the other, she held the late afternoon’s despatches. In both, she held her nervously beating heart.

KSAugustin
June 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
THE STORY SO FAR: Cheloi can't fight the attraction she feels for her driver, but her lust is tempered by the knowledge that her entire mission could unravel if she is discovered. After four nights of stolen passion, she knows that -- for her own and Garza's sakes -- she has to end the affair.

Good Flying Spaghetti Monster, are we up to Chapter Six already? Go here to get the low-down on War Games (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126), if you haven't already.

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you. We are moving next week (another international move), so posting Chapter Seven will honestly be the last thing on my mind. You'll have to wait till 18-June to see what happens next. Apologies to any regular readers out there.

FAVOURITE CHAPTER QUOTES:

Garza flicked the lock on the door and turned, her expression determined. “Now what?”
“Would you like something to drink? I have some tawny life-water I keep on hand.” Her lips quirked. “For medicinal purposes.”
“I need something,” Garza admitted curtly, deliberately relaxing her shoulders.

She thought she was such an intellectual, a person honed to the heights of self-discipline, and all it had taken was honey-streaked hair and a pair of warm hazel eyes for her to cede control of her mind to her rapacious, and insistent, lust.

It wasn't as though Sie's reputation hadn't preceded her. But, much to Garza's shame, it hadn't made the slightest bit of difference. She should have been remembering the dead and burnt-out villages, but all she could focus on were Sie's dark and mysterious eyes, sad and bitter in repose.

hollie
June 4th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Good luck with the move Kaz where are you moving to?

KSAugustin
June 4th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hey there, Hollie!

We're moving to Malaysia. You know, at its narrowest point, the Straits of Johor separate Singapore and Malaysia by only one kilometre (less than a mile), but you still have to go through the same Customs/Immigration/Packing rigmarole. You'd think it'd get easier, but it's always exactly as complicated. Every single time. LOL

hollie
June 4th, 2008, 05:35 AM
oh lovely i would love to go places like that .....one day one day

KSAugustin
June 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
IN CHAPTER SEVEN: Koul Grakal-Ski finds leverage against Garza and uses it to his advantage. He has a plan to eliminate Cheloi and gain command of Territory Fifteen, but he needs Garza's cooperation to do it. Will she agree?

IN CHAPTER EIGHT: While on a rendezvous to meet one of her more unconventional sector commanders, Vanqill, Cheloi and Garza are captured by rebel forces, and Cheloi gets to meet their notorious leader, Drel, face to face.

FAVOURITE QUOTES:

Koul regarded her coolly, watching the distaste flicker across her features. "If it frightens your Fusion sensibilities to kill someone less important in order to further a mission, how can you possibly kill the Colonel?"

He walked to the door and paused just as he reached it, sending an oblique look her way. "And Lieutenant, please don't discuss this with anybody. It can take hours to clean blood off these walls."

Rumis laughed. "Is this a trick question, Colonel? If the empire does that, it might as well hold elections on every one of its planets. Or join the Fusion." He laughed again. "That would be funny, wouldn't it? Imagine us as part of the Fusion! The sops wouldn't know what do do with us."

Cheloi smiled as well, showing her teeth. "Throw yourself into the abyss, Drel."
His mouth widened into a grin. "You first, Senior Colonel."

Sound interesting? Then hie off here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) to catch up on all you've been missing. And happy reading.

KSAugustin
July 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM
IN CHAPTER NINE: There is a confrontation between Rumis and Koul at the Nineteen’s HQ, subsequent to Cheloi’s capture by the rebels. Cheloi/Laisen has a discussion with Copan that he’s not happy with. And she remembers the love of her life, Eys.

IN CHAPTER TEN: The action hots up as we reach the midpoint of the novel. Garza faces her first interaction with the rebels and finds that all is not as expected. Cheloi faces off with Drel, the rebel leader. And Garza commits to a decision, despite her better judgement.

FAVOURITE QUOTES:

Cheloi took one more breath to steady her voice. With the eye that wasn't swollen shut, she looked up at the man who towered over her. "Why don't you stop with the nagging and just kill me, Drel? I'm sure that would be a relief for both of us."

"At least think about giving your circus an air of legitimacy, even if you can't manage the substance of it."
She tried to keep up the laughter as she was dragged back to her cell but her ribs began hurting again.

"Do you have any bones broken?"
"Ribs." She tried again. "Garza?"
"Barbarians," she muttered. "Everyone's a barbarian." She looked up, shooting Cheloi a look that was almost hateful. "Even you."

Still with me? Then catch up with the latest at the War Games (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) page. And happy reading!

KSAugustin
July 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
In the dark ruins of Sab-Inuk, Garza finally tells Cheloi one of her secrets, including her suspicion that it was Grakal-Ski behind their rebel capture. Cheloi is not too surprised by this, but is stunned when Garza tells her she is from the Fusion. She thinks this is a happy secret she can keep to herself, until she finds out Garza has told more than one person about her past. Cheloi’s life is about to get way more complicated.

FAVOURITE QUOTES:

“If you gave them information in an attempt to negotiate something like a prisoner swap, it was a wasted effort. Nothing, short of your miraculous escape plan, would have saved my life.”
“Saving you was the last thing on my mind.”

“I wanted to hate you,” she said softly, almost to herself. “I came prepared to hate you, for all you did to the people of this planet.”

“Grakal-Ski wants you dead,” she said abruptly.
“Yes, I imagine he’s been fantasising about that for the past couple of years.”

Click HERE (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) to get to the War Games page and the continuation of the novel.

hollie
July 17th, 2008, 06:25 AM
over half way now and i just love the fact it's written in English and you spell things properly it makes a lovely change smilies/chickdance.g

KSAugustin
July 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I'll just keep my fingers crossed that you don't pick up any mistakes, Hollie! :peepwall:

Dani
July 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
over half way now and i just love the fact it's written in English and you spell things properly it makes a lovely change smilies/chickdance.g

English as in the Queen's English Hollie? ROFL! I believe we had this conversation on Yahoo messenger earlier.

KSAugustin
July 22nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Cheloi and Garza may have escaped the rebels and found their way back to the Nineteen, but they're not out of danger yet. Cheloi has to face, not only her wetware counsellor, Dr Copan, but also an intently interested and watchful Koul Grakal-Ski. What can she say that will get her and Garza out of Koul's clutches ... and the assassination plot of his that backfired?

FAVOURITE QUOTES

"Just remember," he warned. "If your disinformation plan doesn't work, you may have to make the hard decision, Laisen--Garza Yinalña or the Fusion."

"No, Rumis. For the tenth time, I'm not getting shipped to Regional Medical."
Rumis' lips twitched. "I'm sure that was only the sixth time, Colonel."

He was only the most ambitious and ruthless officer in the Perlim Empire, whereas she was a trained Fusion operative. When it came to deception, there was no contest.

For all your War Games needs, go here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126). And happy reading!

KSAugustin
July 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
This is a time of personal introspection for our two main characters: Garza, after the inevitable confrontation with a frustrated Koul; and Cheloi, as she mulls over the consequences of Garza being Fusion and decides to think with a -- shall we say -- non-cerebral part of her anatomy.

FAVOURITE QUOTES

All she and Nils could think of was what was immediately in front of them -- infiltrating the Perlim military structure -- and the far future -- a planet free from Perlim influence. Everything in between -- her life, her dreams -- seemed trivial.

The dinners were courteous, sometimes serious, sometimes entertaining, but always with an undercurrent of wary suspicion. Koul had done this with his plot to remove her from command, and she had done it with an explanation for their escape that all present knew skirted the bounds of probability.

Cheloi -- Laisen -- had only one life and even with the wondrous technologies of the Fusion, it was still too short to deny herself the touch of someone she had fallen in love with.
Perhaps Garza didn’t feel that same way. Perhaps it was some kind of a game to her. But not for Cheloi. She was through with denying herself this. For once, she would follow her heart and damn the consequences.

Click here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) for the War Games page.

KSAugustin
August 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Cheloi and Garza finally find the time to snatch some stolen passion, but it only extends the ache rather than assuaging it. And there’s the upcoming visit of a member of the dreaded Central Control to also look forward to. Will Cheloi be able to keep all the strands of her machinations clear in her head, or will they begin to unravel?

FAVOURITE QUOTES

Koul liked his authority too much to appreciate that it was sometimes more beneficial to use less of it. It was the difference between being a leader and being a dictator.

She could never be sure whether Eys would have ever caught her if she stumbled–that was part of the dizzying excitement of being around her–but she knew, without a doubt, that Garza would. Garza would be there for every trip, every fall, ever vigilant and supportive. What would it take, she thought, to call such a woman her champion?

“Leave the door unlocked when you leave,” she said.
“And what are you going to do?” Garza whispered.
Cheloi smiled tightly, the shutters that walled off her feelings from the rest of her now back and well and truly in place. She headed for the bureau and picked up the bottle and one of the glasses.
“I think I’ll get drunk.”

The War Games page is here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126).

KSAugustin
August 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
We are three-quarters of the way through. Hope everybody is enjoying the serialisation so far. Anyone care to comment...?

Cheloi grabs what little respite she can before the visit of Rep Kodnell of Central Control. Kodnell, when he arrives, proves to be ruthless, intelligent and unrelenting. How is our favourite Fusion agent going to do, going up against him? It's going to be bad enough in the briefing room, but when they have their inevitable cosy little chat afterwards, the tension -- and risks -- rise accordingly.

FAVOURITE QUOTES

"I voted for Grakal-Ski ... I thought he'd be ideal for the Nineteen. Ambitious, intelligent, loyal. The others voted for you, after your campaigns in the Eight. I hated you for that--a woman, in charge of one of the most important territories in the war. I wondered whether we had descended to the perversity of the Fusion." He finished his drink in one gulp and jiggled the empty glass, silently asking for a refill.

She wondered what the penalty was for killing a member of the Central Control. She knew it was death, but what kind of death? Depending on the method, it might be faintly worth it.

He laughed again at the stiffness in her tone. "You're not as good a liar as you think you are, Sie."
Oh, you don't know the half of it, you bastard.

"Pull this off, Sie, and you'll be looking at the first female generalship in Perlim history."
"I know that, sir."
"Fail, and we'll skin you alive and feed you to the Emperor's zoo animals."
"I know that too, sir."

KSAugustin
August 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Cheloi says good-bye to Garza.

FAVOURITE QUOTES

If there was only one moment from her life she could live over and over, Cheloi thought, this would be it, and she poured every drop of love, longing and regret into that embrace.

“This is preposterous!” Koul exclaimed.
Yes it was. Even Cheloi could see that. But it was her preposterous, so that made it all right.

Rumis’ eyes darkened with sympathy and Cheloi could have happily killed herself in that moment for being able to lie so well, so consummately, to the person she valued above all else.

To the War Games page (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126)!

KSAugustin
August 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
It's the end-game. Cheloi has sent Garza away for her own safety and must now decide what to do with Rumis. Leave him on Menon or take him with her? And will Koul finally get the opportunity he's always wanted to kill his commanding officer? Things really start falling apart in this chapter, so you won't want to miss any of the action.

FAVOURITE QUOTES

"Rumis, contact Black sector. Ask them what the f--k they think they're doing."

“I wouldn’t want to begrudge Koul his moment of glory at the centre of operations,” she finally told him.
“Then don’t begrudge me mine either, Colonel. If I have served you well these past years, then please allow me that moment too.”

“Koul, I can explain,” she gasped, as his hands grabbed her collar and started to twist it.
But she knew she couldn’t talk herself out of this one. Koul was going to kill her and, this time, he was going to do it himself.

She met his cloudy brown gaze as openly as she could. “Good will come of this, Rumis,” she told him. “Believe me.”

Click here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) for the War Games page.

KSAugustin
September 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
And we're definitely in the home stretch with Chapter Eighteen of War Games (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126).

Laisen has been rescued by the Fusion and is now undergoing debriefing of her mission on Menon IV. There is more news of Rumis, no news of Garza, and Laisen is adamant that she's leaving the Service. However, I'll leave you with the last two lines of the chapter:

So she tied up her affairs on Tatrex, and paid one last visit to the administrative centre. And it was there that her world shattered again.

Happy reading!

hollie
September 10th, 2008, 04:52 AM
that is so not fair

KSAugustin
September 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Um, what's not fair, Hollie?

hollie
September 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
leaving us hanging like that I haven't been and read that chapter yet so it might be worse can you that mean ??

Yeh your an author you can be that mean Laugh it Up fuzball

KSAugustin
September 10th, 2008, 05:13 AM
There's the obvious temptation to go "Nyuk, nyuk" but the fact of the matter is, I can't be mean. I'm just too stoked that someone's actually reading the novel! smilies/bump.gif

hollie
September 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I can't wait till it's in PDf and I can sit and read it all together I 'm sure i've missed bits. But at the moment it fits around my reviewing

klmc37
September 12th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I agree Hollie.

Kimmyl

KSAugustin
September 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Laisen ties up her affairs on Tatrex, severing her links with the Fusion covert service completely. But the service isn't quite through with her yet. Two years later, her life is still in tatters when she gets a rare, and unexpected, visitor.

FAVOURITE QUOTES

She knew she sounded rude, but the house was only an AI. So what if she hurt its feelings?

She dreamt of Rumis ... The nightmares of Koul trying to kill her were trivial by comparison.

I had a piece of my heart ripped out. By you. By Rumis. I’ll be lucky if I can draw a clean breath ever again.

LAST LINES ('cos they were so popular last time!)

Menon had turned her into a mess. That was the only reason Laisen could think of for the tears that sprang to her eyes. She shook her head slowly.
“Garza, please, don’t do this to me.”

Click here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) to go to the War Games page.

klmc37
September 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Can't wait to read it. Thanks for the info.

http://www.prwne.com/gourds_falling_leaves_md_clr.gif

KSAugustin
September 24th, 2008, 03:49 AM
It's that special day. Today marks the last day of my weekly serialisation, War Games.

Chapter Twenty already ... where did the time go? I won't put up any favourite quotes or anything like that. If you've been following along, click here (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126) to get to the War Games page. Hope you've all enjoyed the read.

hollie
September 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM
see it didn't take as long as you thought Bouncy Icon Smilie are you putting it in Pdf?? I can't wait to finish it (i'm going to sneek it in between review books ssh)

KSAugustin
September 24th, 2008, 08:17 AM
PDF seems to be the general consensus ... :robot:

Will be working on it this week!

Kaz!

Dani
September 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Congratulations on finishing the story!! Bouncy Icon Smilie

KSAugustin
September 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thunk ya verra much.

KSAugustin
October 2nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
The PDF of War Games is now available for everyone's perusal and delectation. Please proceed in an orderly fashion (or not, as the case may be) to the War Games page (http://www.ksaugustin.com/?page_id=126).

And thanks to all who left comments. They were very much appreciated. And if anyone would like to still leave a comment, feel free. Writers have huge egos that need constant stoking, y'know! smilies/catmoon.gif

Dani
October 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Awesome KS! I'm going to take a trip over there now. :biggrin:

hollie
October 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I got it I got it Bouncy Icon Smilie

CharmedGirl
October 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I got it I got it Bouncy Icon Smilie

Me too. I've just downloaded it to where all my other ebooks are on my computer.

candaceclayton
October 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you!!

Candace