PDA

View Full Version : Promotion

Vicki M. Taylor
June 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
1.Promotion Workshop

a.Promotion – Shameless or Smart?

Learn the In's and outs of promoting online and offline and how much time to devote to each. Remember, the Internet is your friend.

When is the best time to start promoting your book? The best time to start marketing your book is before it's released.

If you think all you have to do as an author is to write your books, think again. You'll be spending a good part of your time marketing your book. That is, unless you have $3,000, $5,000, $10,000 – for a publicist to do the majority of the work for you. Read that carefully. The “majority” of the work. There are still promotion responsibilities for you to handle.

Publishers aren’t going to do all the marketing you – it’s just not in their budgets.

Are you afraid to toot your own horn? Are you too modest to talk about yourself?
Did your mother always tell you that it was impolite to brag?

Get over it.

I’m going to help you get over your shyness and help you learn the ins and outs of promoting online and offline and hopefully some innovative ways to promote yourselves and your books.

elizabethdelisi
June 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Vicky. Looking forward to it!

Liz

Vicki M. Taylor
June 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Shameless is a bad connotation – perpetuating a notion that there is something shameful about self-promotion in the first place.

Self-promotion is not a controversial, emotional act that you must approach with embarrassment or with egotistical bravado. It’s just a simple job requirement.

Do you believe your writing is of value? Do you believe you’re a capable writer? Are you confident in your ability to convey a story through your words?

If the answer is “no” then why do you think someone else should read your work, let alone buy it? If this is how you feel, you would probably benefit from some writing classes, books on writing, or more studying of your craft.

Be your toughest critic.

Take your work seriously.

If your answer is “yes” then you owe it to the world to promote your work.

Your talent can enrich lives; don’t be modest.

Self-promotion is not a selfish act. It’s a gift.

Francesca Prescott
June 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm looking forward to reading and participating!

Thank you,

Francesca:notworthy:

Morgan Ashbury
June 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Your talent can enrich lives; don’t be modest.

Self-promotion is not a selfish act. It’s a gift.

Those two lines are going up right now where I can see them every day!

Love,
Morgan

Lee Rush
June 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'm also looking forward to reading and learning. Thanks, Vicki!

June Phyllis Baker
June 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hi Vicki,
My first novel No Regrets will be released tenativley in June. I'm looking foward to learning ideas on how to promote my book.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Vicki,
My first novel No Regrets will be released tenativley in June. I'm looking foward to learning ideas on how to promote my book.

Welcome, Arlene. We'll get you those ideas and hopefully you can put them to work for your new release.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
What are some ways you've used to promote yourselves or your books?

IanWrites
June 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Website (web presence - myspace, facebook, forums...)
Press Release to local media
Book Launch
Conventions (Panels)
Workshops
Giveaways, contests
Book Crossing
Television appearance (local cable)

I think the most important thing is to have a plan.

Cheers,
Ian

Vicki M. Taylor
June 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Website (web presence - myspace, facebook, forums...)
Press Release to local media
Book Launch
Conventions (Panels)
Workshops
Giveaways, contests
Book Crossing
Television appearance (local cable)

I think the most important thing is to have a plan.

Cheers,
Ian

Good, Ian. You're right.. having a plan is very important.

Let's hear from others.

rgraham666
June 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Let's see.

For my next release I've arranged several author's day at big Yahoo loops (1,000 plus members).

I've got a real time chat scheduled at Coffee Time's website.

I'll be giving away free copies of my book at these events.

I've been announcing the release along with an excerpt on promotion days on various Yahoo loops.

I'll be chatting the release up on my website and MySpace page.

I'll be sending ARCs to review sites.

I talk up this release on all the various forums etc. I hang at.

I tell every one I know that it's being released.

Whew! I get tired just typing all this out. ;)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Let's see.

For my next release I've arranged several author's day at big Yahoo loops (1,000 plus members).

I've got a real time chat scheduled at Coffee Time's website.

I'll be giving away free copies of my book at these events.

I've been announcing the release along with an excerpt on promotion days on various Yahoo loops.

I'll be chatting the release up on my website and MySpace page.

I'll be sending ARCs to review sites.

I talk up this release on all the various forums etc. I hang at.

I tell every one I know that it's being released.

Whew! I get tired just typing all this out. ;)

Sounds like you'll be busy!

Lee Silver
June 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Don't forget the YouTube video trailers. These are becoming an important way to promote. I am constantly amazed at the hits I get on my simple little video!

rgraham666
June 4th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sounds like you'll be busy!

Yep. I'd like to sell a reasonable number of copies this time.

Don't forget the YouTube video trailers. These are becoming an important way to promote. I am constantly amazed at the hits I get on my simple little video!

I've been considering this. But I have no idea how to do a trailer.

Lee Rush
June 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hello there Romantic Heretic!!

You said you didn't know how to do trailers, wellllll I didn't either! http://www.freewebs.com/leerush-author/

If you go to my website, on the left side of the main page is a listing of my books and if you click on each title it will take you to the page for each book. Now the trailers there are very simply done, no music, just the covers and a few words from each. I have the Windows Movie Maker and it was really easy to do these simple ones. I understand that the Movie Maker is a free download from Microsoft, so if you don't have it you can get it there. It's really not hard...for the simple ones any way, and if you are not as techno challenged as I am, you should do great with them. And, as always, practice would make it easier and you can learn to add new things to each one. Just a suggestion..it's what I did and trust me...if I can do it...anybody can!!!

Lee

rgraham666
June 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks Lee.

I'm a Mac user though. I believe I have a similar program available just can't work up enough nerve to fiddle with it.

I've become such a Luddite in my old age.

Morgan Ashbury
June 4th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I've used chats on Yahoo loops, posting excerpts of my stories on same, I've done a couple of trailers. At RT this year I had a prize give away. I have a web site, send copies of my ARCs to reviewers, and try to remember I have a "My Space" page.

But my first 'promotional' activity was and remains my weekly column.

I began it in November of 2006 as a means of simply getting the name, Morgan Ashbury, out there. It's kind of morphed into something more, as I love essay writing. But it still serves the purpose of keeping my name before people.

Morgan

Romance...with that extra bit of heat.

http://www.morganashbury.com

janice
June 4th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey I loved that quote. It is a gift!

Belle Scarlett
June 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Question (and if I'm jumping the ahead, I'm willing to be patient until we get to the topic, but..) where are the best sites, other than You Tube and your website/My Space/Facebook, to post ones book trailer video? I put links to it in my signature, but where else can one post the actual video?? Thanks!

June Phyllis Baker
June 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I found a a local magazine that is willing to do a review of my book when it's released.
Get as many reviews as you can. My my space page got me a review.

Arlene

www.junephyllisbaker.com (http://www.junephyllisbaker.com)
MySpace.com - June Phyllis - 63 - Female - New Jersey - www.myspace.com/arlenejune (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=244495660)

Dee Brice
June 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
This is great! My second Futuristic Fantasy releases June 20, 2008 from Ellora's Cave.

More! More! MORE!

And thanks,
Dee

Vicki M. Taylor
June 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
You've listed some ways to promote your books and yourselves as authors.

We'll start with websites

Websites

Let's start with your Author webpage. Your home page. Mine is http://www.vickimtaylor.com Most authors use their name as their web address. If you're web savvy, you can create a webpage yourself. If not, it may cost you. How much, is up to you. You can barter for services or pay outright.

According to J.A. Konrath in the Writers Digest article “Sling Your Web”, he says the secret to a successful author website is “it should be sticky. As the name implies, there should be enough content on your homepage to make people stick around for a while. Content comes in two forms: information and entertainment.” When you have a moment, check out his website and see what he means. http://www.jakonrath.com He has more than 100 pages of content.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
So, what do you put on a webpage? Tell me what you have on your webpage.

Bronwyn_Storm
June 5th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have:
Home - Introduction
About Me - Bio
FAQs - questions I think readers/writers may want to know
Booklist - My list of books
Excerpts - Excerpts of said books
Events & Blogs - Where people can find me
Resources - a list of links for writers & readers
Contact Me

And sorry--I'm on a caffeine low, here, but to whomever was asking about where to post previews: www.previewthebook.com (http://www.previewthebook.com). My guys are on there: The Genie's Curse: http://www.previewthebook.com/book.php?id=453 and Ethan's Chase: http://www.previewthebook.com/book.php?id=425

June Phyllis Baker
June 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Vicky,
Thank you for the information on websites. I thinking of having a counter added to mine and having another page added for now.
Arlene

wwwjunePhyllisbaker.com

rgraham666
June 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
A welcome page.

An 'About Me' page.

A page where people can see the covers of my books along with a buy link.

A page where they can see the awards I've won, with links.

A free read page. I'll usually have a thousand words or so of my latest WIP in there.

A links page. Here they can go to other places in cyberspace that I either hang at or check out frequently.

A reviews page with links to websites that have reviewed my books.

An interviews page with links to interviews I've done.

And my blog.

Dee Brice
June 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I have Current Books, Upcoming Books (contracted but no release date as yet), Books In Progress (what I'm currently working on but haven't submitted yet) and, of course, my bio.

With all the books, there's a How This Book Came About that visitors can access when they click on the book cover. They also get an excerpt.

Dee Brice
June 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM

I recently did a book signing at a B&N. Not much play, but it was a good way to get exposure. Also, attended RT and did both a print and e-book signing--thanks to my publisher and RT. I'm doing a panel on June 28,2008 for my local RWA chapter on Authors' Voice--I'm the token erotic romance writer.

Also, I try to post on author days on Coffee Time Romance! Thanks to Karenne for getting me involved!

June Phyllis Baker
June 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
On my website I have my book cover, my bio and some of my writings.

Arlene

www.junephyllisBaker.com (http://www.junephyllisBaker.com)

mamasand2
June 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
You've listed some ways to promote your books and yourselves as authors.

We'll start with websites

Content comes in two forms: information and entertainment.” When you have a moment, check out his website and see what he means. http://www.jakonrath.com He has more than 100 pages of content.

WOW! Vicki I just took a look at his website and it was really hard to stop exploring. I see what you mean about the content...

sandie

June Phyllis Baker
June 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Vicky,
I love your website! I signed up for the 2008 Muse Conference. Thank you for providing the information about it. I would have never know about it other wise.

Arlene

BekkiLynn
June 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM

I post in yahoo groups - excerpts, promos and show up for publisher scheduled chats as well as participate in other authors scheduled chats. It really does make a difference to simply hang out for a bit rather than do the drop-and-run.

Blogspot

Myspace - friends, bullentin board and blog

Other peoples blogs

Promo items - sending them for conference bag give aways. I had 400 pieces to the RT conference. I have some in bags for the Lori Foster one this weekend, I believe. As well as others. I belong to Bookworm Bags.

Book trailer at youtube - also posted on my website and myspace. And working on a new one.

Pass out business cards and magnets to family, friends and co-workers - I give extra and tell them to pass out to family and friends.

My husband has an 8x10 poster of my book covers along with blurbs over his desk at work. He also sends out notices about my books via his internet hangouts.

Send ARC's to reviewers

Do interviews

I have my links on other peoples sites

Cover is posted on other sites - I just won a free cover ad at catanetwork.

I did a one month anniversary party - it didn't go over well.

I'm in the process of scheduling a promo op in a loop the end of July with two other Siren authors who have books coming out the same time frame as mine.

Bekki

BekkiLynn
June 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM

I have a total of six main pages

Home - Bio - Books - Gifts - Contests - Contact

The book page contains links to more pages - excerpt, video and a gift made specifically for the book

The home page, book page, excerpt page, gift page contain the cover with purchase link

The home page contains links to new things; covers, publishing, counter, icon from reviewer, banner for a place that put my cover up on their site, links to fellow authors - a couple of my favorite photos

I do my own site, so I make changes at will as well as change the whole format when I get bored with it.

I used to have a page full links to groups I belong to, my favorite author links. I wasn't sure if that was something that people wanted to view, so I it down.

I'm trying to keep it organized and uncluttered. I know I get frustrated when pages take a while to load - don't want to lose poeple for the same reason.

Bekki

IanWrites
June 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hey Romantic Heretic,

I'm also on a Mac. I use iMovie and it's is very easy. Start a new project and add photos, titles and sound fx. You'll have a lot of fun.

Cheers
Ian

Minnette
June 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I have my books predominate on the home page with a link to a page for each book, a monthly newsletter, author links (some famous, some not so famous), biography, reviews, news releases, interviews, writing references, two short stories, two humourous essays about writing, a link to my historical video, and links to future works. There may be more...I'd have to go look...too much? Not enough? Hmmmm.....

denisepatrick
June 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I just put up a website using freewebs because I wanted to experiment and see what I really want before I pay for a domain name and go all out. Since I've done it all myself (and I'm still teaching myself about HTML - it's slow going) there are still things about the site I'd like to change but don't know how. So far, I have the following pages:
Home
Books - with a page for each book and links to excerpts
Blog - link back to my blog, which is on Blogger (and which I like a whole lot better because I think the color scheme is more "me" than my website)
Photos - pics of a booksigning I did in AZ
About me - my bio
Guestbook
Contact me

I'd love to have some feedback on it and if anyone can walk me through how to change the template - or know where I can create my own (like I did for my blog), I'd be grateful.

June Phyllis Baker
June 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Vicky,
I'm also going to put flyers in local stories. So people can find out where I'll be doing book siginings.

Arlene

Vicki M. Taylor
June 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Vicky,
I'm also going to put flyers in local stories. So people can find out where I'll be doing book siginings.

Arlene

good idea, get the word out to the local folks that you're a local author.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I just put up a website using freewebs because I wanted to experiment and see what I really want before I pay for a domain name and go all out. Since I've done it all myself (and I'm still teaching myself about HTML - it's slow going) there are still things about the site I'd like to change but don't know how. So far, I have the following pages:
Home
Books - with a page for each book and links to excerpts
Blog - link back to my blog, which is on Blogger (and which I like a whole lot better because I think the color scheme is more "me" than my website)
Photos - pics of a booksigning I did in AZ
About me - my bio
Guestbook
Contact me

I'd love to have some feedback on it and if anyone can walk me through how to change the template - or know where I can create my own (like I did for my blog), I'd be grateful.

Denise, I hope you get some help on this. I'm not familiar with Freewebs.

I had a web designer create my website and now I maintain it myself using Dreamweaver. I can't change the template. Haven't figured that out yet. Just can change the content.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Vicky,
I love your website! I signed up for the 2008 Muse Conference. Thank you for providing the information about it. I would have never know about it other wise.

Arlene
Thanks, Arlene.

The Muse Conference is really good. I recommend it to everyone. Oh, and it's free!

June Phyllis Baker
June 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Vicky,
I read an artilce in publishers weekly a while back about trying to sell your book the way they sell tuperware. Have you heard of anything like this?

Arlene

Vicki M. Taylor
June 6th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Vicky,
I read an artilce in publishers weekly a while back about trying to sell your book the way they sell tuperware. Have you heard of anything like this?

Arlene

no, I haven't.. can you tell me more about the idea?

denisepatrick
June 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Arlene, are you referring to a company called Bookwise, by any chance?

June Phyllis Baker
June 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Vicky,
You invite women over in the same way you would for a tuperware party. Of course you would have several copies of your book with you . Then read an excerpt from your book. If all goes well you will make several sales and somebody else offers to give another party.

Arlene
www.JunePhyllisBaker.com (http://www.JunePhyllisBaker.com)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Vicky,
You invite women over in the same way you would for a tuperware party. Of course you would have several copies of your book with you . Then read an excerpt from your book. If all goes well you will make several sales and somebody else offers to give another party.

Arlene

okay, I understand the concept. Like a Book Sales party.

Have you heard how successsful they are?

dee carney
June 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ooh! I'm so glad I've been attending this lecture. After reading a few blogs about how to create a book trailer, I went ahead and made my own. It's my first attempt and I don't think it's too shabby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8KY8I6Cps

Of course, I added it to my web site too: http://www.deecarney.com/bookshelf/soldier/.

This is fun! I can't wait to make the next one for my next release!

Dee

June Phyllis Baker
June 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Vicky,
I found the article. As you can see it was written nine years ago,but I also remember seeing something very recent about it.

Marketing in the Home - 7/19/1999 - Publishers Weekly (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA167123.html) Unfortantley, I don't know if it worked.

Arlene
www.JunePhyllisBaker@com (http://www.JunePhyllisBaker@com)

rgraham666
June 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Oops. :duh:

I recall I had this webpage (http://www.livejournal.com/poll/?id=1007999) bookmarked. It contains a poll on why readers bought a book.

It looks to me that the best ways to garner sales is word of mouth and exposure to your writing.

In other words; write and make sure people see the results. ;)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 7th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ooh! I'm so glad I've been attending this lecture. After reading a few blogs about how to create a book trailer, I went ahead and made my own. It's my first attempt and I don't think it's too shabby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r8KY8I6Cps

Of course, I added it to my web site too: http://www.deecarney.com/bookshelf/soldier/.

This is fun! I can't wait to make the next one for my next release!

Dee

not bad, the scrolling is a bit fast at the end, but it has a lot of effect. Very good for your first attempt.

June Phyllis Baker
June 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hi Vicky,
I couldn't agree with you more. I know that is working for me. My book hasn't even been released and I have people wanting to buy it. Writing your book is not the hard part. Selling it is.

Arlene

Marty Rayne
June 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Playing a little catchup -
I use my website, blog, yahoo groups, newsletter, word of mouth, MySpace, TRS, and anywhere else I can (or they'd have me :) ). I've been bad lately, but now I'm back to scheduling specific time to do my promos and get back out there again. Luckily, a fellow author asked me to be her featured author this month on her group and I have 2 releases. Good promo there :smilingsun:

Marty Rayne
June 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM

My home page is my news page. I change it up, posting all my activity. I have an about me page, Book list page that has all the needed info about my books and links to buy and read excerpts. Then there's a free reads page, links page, review page, and a guest book.

torrentwaters
June 8th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Pretty much the same as everyone else, website, yahoo groups, blog, myspace, interviews. But I've also used podcast, pamphlets and business card ( I send these to craft sales with my mother and leave them at local businesses + libraries.)

torrentwaters
June 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Home- My up coming release
About Me
Blog
MySpace
Bookshelf- my books both relased and coming soon
Publishers- links to my publishers
Author Friends- links to other authors
Book Trailers
Interviews Reviews & Etc
Guestbook

June Phyllis Baker
June 8th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hi Vicky
One more promitional idea. Get a tee-shirt made with your book cover on it. I know somebody who did this and sold five books.

Arlene

Belle Scarlett
June 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Regarding trailers, it took a awhile for me to get the jist of 'em, but here's mine - posted on site, My Space,Facebook and You Tube... but does anyone know where else is good to post your book trailer?? Hoping to get more milage out of mine considering how hard I worked on it! Lemme know what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/user/bellescarlett

Thanks!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
write and make sure people see the results. ;)

you said it!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Vicky
One more promitional idea. Get a tee-shirt made with your book cover on it. I know somebody who did this and sold five books.

Arlene

Arlene.. I've seen people do this before.. and for some it's worked.. and for others it hasn't.. I guess it just depends on where you wear it.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Regarding trailers, it took a awhile for me to get the jist of 'em, but here's mine - posted on site, My Space,Facebook and You Tube... but does anyone know where else is good to post your book trailer?? Hoping to get more milage out of mine considering how hard I worked on it! Lemme know what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/user/bellescarlett

Thanks!

Hey, that's pretty good.. nice job!

Look under the thread "Website Content" for more information about where to post book trailers.

June Phyllis Baker
June 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Vicky,
This person had his tee-shirt on when it went to the doctor. I don't think thats why it worked.

Arlene
www.JunePhyllisBaker.Com (http://www.JunePhyllisBaker.Com)

Raina James
June 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Sorry for going AWOL. Busy with chaperoning my eldest daughter's Grade 8 trip -- I survived! -- then busy at work.

What I have on my website:

- Front page with my name and the caution for underagers
- Home page - where I *try* to put a new message every month. There are links everywhere on it to other areas in the site, as well as the main buttons on the top of the page. Every page also has a "contact Raina" link for quick access.
- Books - My published books (that would be one right now :D) and my current work in progress. Clicking on the cover image will bring you to a page devoted to that book, including clickies to read reviews and excerpts, mild and hot. It also includes button links to my publisher to buy the ebook and some of the retailers where you can buy the trade paperback.
- Biography - Just what it says, a mini bio of me. I also have a few lists of things I like: books, book series, music and movies.
- Links - Links to my publisher and fellow authors.

My web designer -- man, I wish I were savvy enough to do my own site maintenance - is working on a blog template that will match the site. This way, I can have something new for people to check out more often than the once-a-month updates on the home page. If there's nothing new, there's no reason for visitors to come back.

What I do to promote:

- the very first thing I did was get a website up and running.
- went to RT as my pseudonym and participated in the ebook fair, RT Cafe and manned my publisher's table. This I find particularly difficult because I'm really not a very outgoing person. I'm more one of those fringe types who likes to watch and listen, at least until I get to know people.
- I've participated in a number of author chats on various loops, posting excerpts and offering book prizes and such, but I'm not as frequent a poster as I know I should be. My inner lurker is really an outer lurker ...
- My tagline for my emails and any groups I'm a member of includes my website address, the title of my book and links to where you can buy it.
- business cards with the cover of my book on one side and my name and website address on the other. I handed them out everywhere at RT and have some with me at all times to give to people who seem interested.
- I'm author Marcia James' interviewee for June as part of her website's James Gang (http://marciajames.net/James_gang.html)feature.

I'm working on a video trailer for Serena's Song in dribs and drabs, in between work, freelance jobs and, oh yeah, writing my next book. :D It looks like fun, and I know a lot of people are doing them lately. I'm very curious about how effective they are. I hear a lot of people talking about them, but nothing concrete about how they really pay off in terms of book sales. I'd love to read anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Raina
:)

Lee Silver
June 9th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hi Bekki,
Thanks for letting us know about what didn't work for you. There are so many ways to advertise, it's good to get some feedback on the things that didn't work so we can concentrate on the things that do.

Lee

Jennifer Shirk
June 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
This topic is wonderful. Thanks for doing this. :biggrin:

June Phyllis Baker
June 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Wow. You have done a lot to promte yourself,Raina. Congrats on your first book.

Arlene

Dee Brice
June 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM
The T-shirt idea recalled an author who had her covers all over her tote bag. It's a wonderful idea.

By the way--Good Morning! I'll be in and out today--working on revisions. No time line for 'em but I finally fixed some problems that have been bugging me for a long time.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Here are some more ways to promote your books

i.Search Engines
1.It takes time, but you can list your website with search engines, usually by locating the “Add URL” option on their homepage. The big search engines you want to be listed on are Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of other search engines authors should be listed on?

ii.Signature lines in e-mail – usually a 4 line signature is considered “standard”. You can include your tag line, your affiliations, books, review quote, websites, etc. Can you give us some examples of your signature lines? Most of you have already used your signature lines here. How about the rest of you create your signature lines now.

rgraham666
June 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
i.Search Engines
1.It takes time, but you can list your website with search engines, usually by locating the “Add URL” option on their homepage. The big search engines you want to be listed on are Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions of other search engines authors should be listed on?

I didn't know you could do that. I'm off to start adding my URL to the search engines. :)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I didn't know you could do that. I'm off to start adding my URL to the search engines. :)

Occasionally, search engines (SE) crawl websites..and they need to know they are out there. By you adding your website, you're letting them know you're out there and they'll crawl your site and keep their SE updated with your content.

torrentwaters
June 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Here are some more ways to promote your books

i.Search Engines

AOL?

ii.Signature lines in e-mail – usually a 4 line signature is considered “standard”. You can include your tag line, your affiliations, books, review quote, websites, etc. Can you give us some examples of your signature lines? Most of you have already used your signature lines here. How about the rest of you create your signature lines now.

Jade Twilight~ http://www.jadetwilight.webs<wbr>.com (http://www.jadetwilight.webs.com/)
Fondle my pages & I'll turn you on
Jessie's Dirty Little Secret to be released July 7th

I'm still working on the tag line.:)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
AOL?

Jade Twilight~ http://www.jadetwilight.webs<wbr>.com (http://www.jadetwilight.webs.com/)
Fondle my pages & I'll turn you on
Jessie's Dirty Little Secret to be released July 7th

I'm still working on the tag line.:)

Can you submit sites on AOL? If so, do you have to be a member to do so?

torrentwaters
June 9th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Can you submit sites on AOL? If so, do you have to be a member to do so?

Yup it's under advertise with us. You need one of there free email accounts.

rgraham666
June 9th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I managed to add my site to Yahoo. Although it says it will take several weeks before it starts to work.

Adding it to Google requires some coding, which I don't know how to do.

MSN, I have no idea haw to add my site to it and I crawled around for an hour.

Hadn't considered AOL.

Dee Brice
June 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm back/

Does anybody have suggestions about what to include in a press release about new books coming out soon?

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I'm back/

Does anybody have suggestions about what to include in a press release about new books coming out soon?

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
Dee, we'll be covering press releases, if you can hang on a bit.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I managed to add my site to Yahoo. Although it says it will take several weeks before it starts to work.

Adding it to Google requires some coding, which I don't know how to do.

MSN, I have no idea haw to add my site to it and I crawled around for an hour.

Hadn't considered AOL.

Is this the page you used to add your URL to google?
http://www.google.com/addurl/

Dee Brice
June 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Dee, we'll be covering press releases, if you can hang on a bit.

For that, I can hang on indefinitely! Thanks,

Vicki M. Taylor
June 9th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Here's the page to submit to MSN

http://search.msn.com.sg/docs/submit.aspx

Dee Brice
June 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Just added myself to Google and MSN! Easy!!!! Which is wonderful, since I'm a real dweeb with computer stuff.

rgraham666
June 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Is this the page you used to add your URL to google?
http://www.google.com/addurl/

Thanks Vicki. :)

I couldn't find them.

And I was confusing Google Analytics with submitting my URL. ::)

I've become such a Luddite in my old age.

Lee Silver
June 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Vicki had an excellent post on trailers on the website thread. I copied it here for this discussion. Maybe we need a new thread just for trailers?

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=5224

Some of you had questions about book trailers/videos. I did some research, and came up with these links.

I hope they are helpful.

1.http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.js...81474977019853 (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977019853)

Where to post? post them on websites, myspace, facebook, etc and if you can afford it Romantic Times online website offers opportunity to post videos plus http://www.watchthebook.com/

How to make a book trailer
http://brendacoulter.blogspot.com/20...make-book.html (http://brendacoulter.blogspot.com/2007/06/promoting-your-novel-how-to-make-book.html)

http://www.squidoo.com/booktrailers

Good background info on book trailers
http://www.findmeanauthor.com/book_trailer_videos.htm

Lee

Lee Silver
June 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Here's a few notes I jotted down on doing trailers (things i learned the hard way :)

All picture show software seems to work about the same. I downloaded several freebies off the net with some neat effect and transitions, but ended up using Microsoft Movie Maker (MM). The nice thing about MM is it has some audio editing capability. The freebies off the net either didn’t have audio, or it was awkward to add it to the video file. MM comes bundled with Microsoft XP, so you probably have it on your computer and don’t even know it.

Put all of the pictures and audio tracks you plan to use in a common file on a thumb drive before you start. MM creates its own working file but looks to the ORIGINAL location of the source files each time you open a project. If you are switching between computers, it will really cause you problems unless you keep the source files in the same location.

Back up often. I have run MM on two different desktop PC’s and two different laptops. It locks up often, usually at the worst time. Back up often. Did I say to back up often :)

Lay down your basic video track. Keep the text short and simple. It has high impact that way and keeps the viewer guessing. You should shoot for 60-90 seconds so you don’t lose your viewers attention. They tell me text should be displayed for as long as it takes for you to read it out load. Be sure to have a good ten second display of your contact information.

Now comes the fun part; adding music to your video.
Use registered music. It is more professional than stealing a popular song that everyone will know you don’t have rights to. There are a lot of good inexpensive/free tracks on the net. I like Kevin MacLeod’s work. He only asks for credit and an optional $5 donation. Kevin has hundreds to choose from on his website and the music is arranged my mood with brief description, orchestration and sound bite. Here’s a link to his site:
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?feels%5B%5D=Action&Search=Search (http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?feels%5B%5D=Action&Search=Search)
<O:p</O:p

You will need to play with your video images, effects, transitions and timing so you can synch the video with high points in the audio track. I like to use common subtle transitions at similar breaks in the video and only use shocking transitions where I want to add drama. Use a simple fade unless you have a need for a more dramatic transition. This can take a lot of time. You may need to clip the front or back of the audio to get things to synch up. It will be worth the effort when you see the final video :)

Lee

Morgan Ashbury
June 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm a bit behind, so I'll try to catch up. On my Home Page I have any major announcements, (like my Golden Rose Awards) and then I have the following buttons at the top:

about: A small blurb about me

Journal: a seasonal essay about what's going on for Morgan.

Books: This lists all my books via their covers, and links back to my publisher's site

Free Fiction: a short story that probably needs to be changed by now :)

Links: a listing of fellow writers and my Wednesday's Words on Euro Reviews

And thanks for the tip about search engines; although if you google "Morgan Ashbury" you get a page or two of my stuff, it was a good idea to add my url to the other ones.

Thanks

Love

Morgan

Romance...with that extra bit of heat.
http://www.morganashbury.com

Dee Brice
June 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I know it's early, but I did finish my edits--whew!--and am ready to call it a night (or maybe a Knight from my historical fantasy series). Will check in in the morning. May your dreams be sweet and your sales… Extraordinary.

Raina James
June 10th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Wow. You have done a lot to promte yourself,Raina. Congrats on your first book.

Arlene

Thanks for the congrats, Arlene. :D As for promotion, it sure doesn't feel like very much when I see what other people are doing. I like to think I'm trainable, though.

Raina
:)

June Phyllis Baker
June 10th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm running ten different ways at once. LOL
I have a my space page, website. Last night I won a spot on EOR (Essence Of Romance) In the Nightowl Romance chat.
I'm also going to reread Plug Your Book. By Stephen Weber.

Arlene

Vicki M. Taylor
June 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Here's a few notes I jotted down on doing trailers (things i learned the hard way :)

All picture show software seems to work about the same. I downloaded several freebies off the net with some neat effect and transitions, but ended up using Microsoft Movie Maker (MM). The nice thing about MM is it has some audio editing capability. The freebies off the net either didn’t have audio, or it was awkward to add it to the video file. MM comes bundled with Microsoft XP, so you probably have it on your computer and don’t even know it.

Put all of the pictures and audio tracks you plan to use in a common file on a thumb drive before you start. MM creates its own working file but looks to the ORIGINAL location of the source files each time you open a project. If you are switching between computers, it will really cause you problems unless you keep the source files in the same location.

Back up often. I have run MM on two different desktop PC’s and two different laptops. It locks up often, usually at the worst time. Back up often. Did I say to back up often :)

Lay down your basic video track. Keep the text short and simple. It has high impact that way and keeps the viewer guessing. You should shoot for 60-90 seconds so you don’t lose your viewers attention. They tell me text should be displayed for as long as it takes for you to read it out load. Be sure to have a good ten second display of your contact information.

Use registered music. It is more professional than stealing a popular song that everyone will know you don’t have rights to. There are a lot of good inexpensive/free tracks on the net. I like Kevin MacLeod’s work. He only asks for credit and an optional $5 donation. Kevin has hundreds to choose from on his website and the music is arranged my mood with brief description, orchestration and sound bite. Here’s a link to his site:
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?feels%5B%5D=Action&Search=Search (http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/index.html?feels%5B%5D=Action&Search=Search)
<o>:p</o>:p

You will need to play with your video images, effects, transitions and timing so you can synch the video with high points in the audio track. I like to use common subtle transitions at similar breaks in the video and only use shocking transitions where I want to add drama. Use a simple fade unless you have a need for a more dramatic transition. This can take a lot of time. You may need to clip the front or back of the audio to get things to synch up. It will be worth the effort when you see the final video :)

Lee

Thanks, Lee for the added information!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 10th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Sometimes I feel like I'm running ten different ways at once. LOL
I have a my space page, website. Last night I won a spot on EOR (Essence Of Romance) In the Nightowl Romance chat.
I'm also going to reread Plug Your Book. By Stephen Weber.

Arlene

Congrats, Arlene.

Dee Brice
June 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Hey Lee,
Thanks for all the wonderful information. Now all I have to do is convince the DH to use his magic touch and create some for me.

June Phyllis Baker
June 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Lee,
Thank you for the infomation on making trailers.

Arlene

Lee Silver
June 10th, 2008, 07:50 PM
You are all quite welcome! There are no rules, but these are things I have noticed about the best trailers I've seen that I wanted to incorprate into mine. It's the stuff I learned after banging my head against the wall for about 50 hours to make my first trailer :) Here's the one I did for The Twist. Take a look so you can see the things I mentioned in my post in the video:

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dNFljbD5-s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </OBJECT>

Dee Brice
June 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
You are all quite welcome! There are no rules, but these are things I have noticed about the best trailers I've seen that I wanted to incorprate into mine. It's the stuff I learned after banging my head against the wall for about 50 hours to make my first trailer :) Here's the one I did for The Twist. Take a look so you can see the things I mentioned in my post in the video:

<OBJECT height=350 width=425>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2dNFljbD5-s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </OBJECT>

I'm trying to respond to this and thank you for you invaluable input. This is great!

Dee Brice
June 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
If your publisher sponsors a "signing" they may also provide "flats"--your cover with a blurb and how to order information. Often, if there are extras, you can take them home and "sign" at your local library or RWA chapter meetings or whatever.

I was lucky and did an e-book "signing" at the RT conference in April. I LOVE my "flats" and brought them home to sign later this month.

June Phyllis Baker
June 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Lee,
I love your trailer. You did a great job!

Arlene

Vicki M. Taylor
June 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
What a great Book Trailer, Lee. Good job!

denisepatrick
June 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Denise, I hope you get some help on this. I'm not familiar with Freewebs.

I had a web designer create my website and now I maintain it myself using Dreamweaver. I can't change the template. Haven't figured that out yet. Just can change the content.

I fogrot that I posted this over here, but I just finished posting again over in the Website thread. In the meantime, I found out how to change some of the template features on my website and now it's much more what I want. I'm still tweaking, though.

Thanks

Vicki M. Taylor
June 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I fogrot that I posted this over here, but I just finished posting again over in the Website thread. In the meantime, I found out how to change some of the template features on my website and now it's much more what I want. I'm still tweaking, though.

Thanks

Good! I responded to your post over on the other thread.

Barbra Novac
June 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
:thankyou:
... for the perfect timing. I am very keen to find out what I could be doing right now to make a difference to marketing for my book.

I will be glued to this forum!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Welcome, Barbra, I hope you enjoy the workshop and find it helpful!

Barbra Novac
June 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I have my books predominate on the home page with a link to a page for each book, a monthly newsletter, author links (some famous, some not so famous), biography, reviews, news releases, interviews, writing references, two short stories, two humourous essays about writing, a link to my historical video, and links to future works. There may be more...I'd have to go look...too much? Not enough? Hmmmm.....
Gosh Minnette, I just checked out your website. It's fantastic. It's inspired me to get much more onto mine.
Thanks so much
Barbra

Barbra Novac
June 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks so much for this! I added it now. Does anyone have the links to the other se's?
Barbra.
(Thanks SO much everyone for this GREAT forum)

Barbra Novac
June 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM

<O:p</O:p

Lee
Thanks for this Lee! I am going to give it a try for sure!
Barbra

June Phyllis Baker
June 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I am going to have my website built up too, I'm having a guest book added and the first chapter of my novel.

Arlene

No Regrets coming in July 2008

Vicki M. Taylor
June 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Misc. Promo Items

Envelope flyers
Small announcement about your book. Put it in every envelope that you send out of your house. Even those return envelopes from credit card companies, etc.

Business cards
www.vistaprint.com

Postcards
Another item you can make yourself; can purchase cards from office supply stores or can have printed. Prices are inexpensive, especially with specials through Vistaprint or other online printer
Cover of book
Book blurb, ordering information
Announce your Next book signing event or speaking engagement
Announce your next book

Newsletter
Can be printed or electronic
It generates a mailing list which you use to keep in touch with fans, friends, etc

What to include?
Free samples of your writing
Announcements of what you are working on
News about upcoming releases
News about upcoming events you’ll be attending
Contest for free books, quizzes, etc.

Follow the Calendar of Events (Chase's) – something for every day of the year – find events that relate to your topics – use keyword searches

Write articles / stories for current news topics – article length 800 – 1000 words – start with some kind of story, second paragraph relate to the reader, then tips, summary and conclusion.

Don't make your newsletter too long or difficult, otherwise your readers will delete it each month or unsubscribe.

June Phyllis Baker
June 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Vicky,

These are great idea's! I never thought of putting a note in with my bills.

June
No Regrets -July 10th

Vicki M. Taylor
June 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Vicky,

These are great idea's! I never thought of putting a note in with my bills.

June
No Regrets -July 10th

Arlene, some people say it works, some people say it's not worth it. You don't know unless you try, I guess!

June Phyllis Baker
June 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Vicky,
I'm thinking of putting one of my book marks in the envelope when I pay my bills. I don't know if that's legat though.

No Regret July 10th

Vicki M. Taylor
June 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Vicky,
I'm thinking of putting one of my book marks in the envelope when I pay my bills. I don't know if that's legat though.

No Regret July 10th

Arlene, I haven't heard, one way or the other.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Book Marketing - Some Novel Ideas for Book Promotion

http://www.selfpublishebooks.com/bookmarketing.html

June Phyllis Baker
June 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks Vicki. I guess the best way as I may have said earlier is word of mouth.

Arlene
No Regrets July 10th

June Phyllis Baker
June 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Dear Vicki,

I want to thank you for taking the time to help you and everyone else for the wonderful ideas to promte our books.

Arlene
No Regrets July 10th

Vicki M. Taylor
June 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Dear Vicki,

I want to thank you for taking the time to help you and everyone else for the wonderful ideas to promte our books.

Arlene
No Regrets July 10th

Arlene, my pleasure. You're very welcome.