PDA

View Full Version : Historical fiction question

AnneWhitfield
June 4th, 2008, 05:34 PM
The historicals I write are mainstream with romantic elements, which is my favourite genre - think Gone With the Wind, North & South, etc.

What is your favourite historical mainstream with romantic elements book?

Georgie Lee
June 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
"Gone with the Wind" is one of my all-time favorites. "Lady Chatterly's Lover" is another. "The Queen's Fool" by Phillipa Gregory is another mainstream with romantic elements that I enjoyed.

Amy Corwin
July 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I tend to like mysteries and have really loved Lindsay Davis' Falco mystery. If you read the series, the main character, Falco, falls in love with an aristocrat--it is really excellent. They are set in ancient Rome and are just wonderful.

I don't know that I read any straight historical fiction, per se. I tend to like the mystery and adventure genres. Tale of Two Cities? Does that fit into the historical fiction? I enjoyed that. :-)

Bryn Colvin
March 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I didn't realise you were on here Anne! I must admit to really liking historical romance, and to a lingering delight in swashbuckling stories.

Terisa Wilcox
March 17th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I love both Gone With the Wind and North & South. Excellent books!

Leanne63
March 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'd have to say Gone With The Wind.It was the first historical and romance I'd read.

Bryn Colvin
March 27th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I've read Gone with the Wind - both my mother and grandmother loved it. Interesting perspective and take on history, but I absolutely loathed Scarlet!

I really like Margaret Atwood's historical writing, and love Mary Webb - not happy stories, but 'Precious Bane' and 'Gone to Earth' are incredible, haunting books.

Bryn Colvin
June 24th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I've just discovered Elizabeth Chadwick! Wonderful. I read The Wild Hunt over the weekend, and off the back of that have bought two more of her books. Lovely lyrical writing style, strong story, compelling characters - can't fault it at all.

Anita Davison
July 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Anne, lovely to see you. A friend of mine [ours] has written a medieval romance that her agent has had refused because it was trying to be a romance and an historical novel at the same time - and it couldn't be both!

So what is Gone With The Wind?

The publishing world confuses me!

Anya Khan
July 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It is always glorious when you find a new writer you can love

Kim Smith
July 10th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I love the Diana Gabaldon series, "Outlander" and those. They are romances but heavily laced with history. So I call them History Romanticals. Of course, there are a few new books out that are really awesome too, like CW Gortner's The Last Queen.