PDA

View Full Version : Press Releases

Vicki M. Taylor
June 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
1.Press Releases
Check to see if your publisher sends out press releases about every book they publish.

Who do you send PR to?

a.Newspapers, especially local papers
b.TV & radio talk shows
c.Online PR centers
d.E-zines
e.Anywhere and everywhere that gives you the opportunity to brag about yourself and your book
f.Books stores – check your local bookstores and see if they have a local author section – if so, suggest they purchase 3-5 copies of your book for their section; schedule a book signing
g.Trade shows
h.Book fairs
i.American Booksellers Association
j.High school and college alma maters for their newsletters

What do you include on a Press Release?

Follow the 5 W’s
Book title and statistical information (publisher, release date, format, # of pages, genre, cost, ISBN, etc)
Cover image
Summary
Review blurbs
Author bio
Contact information – for publisher and for author
Ordering information

We'll talk more about press releases later in another segment.

kjotten
June 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
How do you do press releases for an e-published book. What would be the equvilant of a book signing?

Kathy

Dee Brice
June 11th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Good Morning Vicki,
Thanks for the info on Press Releases. I really needed this since my fourth book will be out June 20, 2008 and I haven't announced the first three! LOL

Dee

Dee Brice
June 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
How do you do press releases for an e-published book. What would be the equvilant of a book signing?

Kathy

Kathy, I have the same problem. Only one book in print, the rest e-books.
Dee

Vicki M. Taylor
June 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM

Kathy

Kathy, here's some information that might help.
Planning Your Ebook Press Release
http://www.ebookbroadcast.com/resources/plan_release.html

As for a book signing for an ebook, you can do a number of things. You can have a laptop available where the customer can download the file immediately by paying for it online. You can use a special CODE that they can type in on the payment page that you give them when they pay you and they can then download it. Or you can download it on CDs and you can sell the CD to them.

Has anyone else had experience selling ebooks and have ideas on how to do a signing?

Sometimes authors just sign a bookmark or something similar with the website where the customer can go purchase the ebook and then "hope" that the customer then goes and purchases it.

Some authors offer a percentage off at their signings if the customer buys that day with a special CODE.

There's all kinds of ideas.

kjotten
June 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Vicki,

Thanks for the suggestions. My book comes out in July and I'm struggling to find ways to promote.

Lee Silver
June 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This is great stuff, Vicki! I never even thought of a press release for an electronic book!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 12th, 2008, 08:09 AM
This is great stuff, Vicki! I never even thought of a press release for an electronic book!

Hey... ebooks deserve the same treatment. Their release format may be different but the rest is the same. Promote. Promote. Promote.

Alex_Draven
June 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
. You can have a laptop available where the customer can download the file immediately by paying for it online.

Absolutely - I know several people who've had excellent sales for ebooks from having a laptop available and online (make sure it's firmly secured!) so that people could order immediately from the reading / stall at various events, and have the download link waiting in their email when they log in.

Having extracts and covers printed out for people to handle on the spot, and flyers or bookmarks for people to take away to remind them to buy later all helps too - some folks won't want to set up a readers account somewhere in the middle of a busy public space, for example. Signing cover prints, postcards, or bookmarks is pretty common.

Burning copies of the file to CD (or even a small USB stick if you were feeling flush) and selling those could work too - although I'd suggest running that one past the publisher first to make sure you're clear on who pays what to whom.

Alex

Vicki M. Taylor
June 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm skipping ahead a bit in my workshop, because we're getting some questions about press releases, so here is the start of the press release section.

What do you do offline?

Create a basic flyer that includes cover art, blurb, brief description, quotes from reviews, ordering information, and a bit about you, the author. You can put a lengthier review, press release, or background information on the back.

Create biographical sketches of information relevant to your book. For example, if your novel is set in a foreign city like Paris, or London, or St. Petersburg, Russia, and you lived there, include that information.

Interview yourself. Or, have another writer interview you. Write out the questions and answers. Keep that in your press kit.
Send e-mail requests for interviews to
Interviews@romancejunkies.com
holly@theromancestudio.com
www.novelspot.net
rose@romanceatheart.com
jaymi@fallenangelsreviews.com

Vicki M. Taylor
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Create press releases to build local interest and network.

Press Releases

where to release press releases

http://www.ereleases.com/
http://www.pr.com/promote-your-business
http://www.prweb.com
http://www.prfree.com/

Vicki M. Taylor
June 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
How To Write An Author Press Release
by Scott Nicholson

First off, don't use funky foNTs. Stick with Times New Roman or Courier. Here is a sample of the press release I'm using to promote my new collection. This one is mostly geared toward book store owners to entice them to carry the book. I will use one or more variations of this to send to newspapers in areas where I will be signing or to media that might be reviewing the book.

Try to keep it to one page, especially for radio and television markets. For newspapers, I suggest sending a brief version such as this one, and a longer, more comprehensive version. For newspapers, you can also include interviews (canned or otherwise, but be sure there are no copyright problems), photos, postcards, etc, and a review copy of the book if you can afford it. A second sample press release follows this one. Farther below is a third, designed for radio broadcast.

For immediate release

Your name
Your address
Your phone #

Thank You For The Flowers
Enters A Literary Shadow Land

What happens when a star Little League player is a vampire, a city has secrets to protect, or a man's love for his wife is more powerful than death?

Award-winning author Scott Nicholson answers these questions and more in Thank You For The Flowers (200 pp., tpb, $14.95), a collection of thirteen stories of suspense and imagination. Nicholson won the Hubbard Gold Award in 1999, the top prize in the international Writers of the Future contest. He was also First Runner-Up for the 1999 Darrell Award, and his stories have been recommended for the Stoker and Nebula Awards.

Sharyn McCrumb, author of the best-selling Ballad books, says, "Scott Nicholson is a wonderful creature, rarer than a vampire shortstop: a gifted writer with wisdom and imagination. He has moved into that literary shadow land between Neil Gaiman and Ray Bradbury. Send out the Welcome Wagon!"

Thank You For The Flowers covers a range of territory from a Civil War ghost story called "The Three-Dollar Corpse" to "Dead Air," where a late-night deejay has an open line to a female serial killer. A high school girl has a crush on her best friend's guy, but so does her best friend's ghost in "In The Heart of November." In "Thirst," a girl's tears are the key to ending a long drought. In the afterwords, the author gives some background on the development of each story.

Author Kevin J. Anderson says of Nicholson's mix of mysteries, ghost stories, and fantasy: "Scott Nicholson's stories have their own heart (sometimes a warm, fuzzy heart, sometimes a twisted, black, and rotten heart). He has a fresh and true voice that will affect you, disturb you, enrage you, or make you laugh. He will not, however, leave you cold."

Scott Nicholson works as a journalist for The Mountain Times in Boone, NC. He studied Creative Writing at the University of North Carolina and Appalachian State University. He is currently marketing several novels and working on a screenplay. Nicholson operates a writer's website at www.hauntedcomputer.com.

ISBN 1-887905-24-3

To place orders for the book, contact:
Parkway Publishers, Inc.
PO Box 3678
Boone NC 28607
Toll-free: (800)821-9155
Phone & Fax: (828) 265-3993
e-mail: parkwaypub@hotmail.com
URL: www.parkwaypublishers.com

To arrange a book signing or interview, contact Scott Nicholson at XXXX or nicholsonATemailaddress

Here is a sample of the press release I used to promote my Writers of the Future signings. In my packets, I included a longer press release about my winning the WotF contest, which you can read here. This release or parts of it ended up in about ten newspapers.

For more information or an interview, contact:
Your info

For a review copy of Writers of the Future Vol. XV, contact:
Mary Tinat, Bridge Publications, 1-800-722-1733

Award-Winning Author Scott Nicholson Coming To High Point

What does a Little League coach do when his best player is a vampire?

That’s the question that Scott Nicholson answers in his story "The Vampire Shortstop," which won the Hubbard Gold Award in the international Writers of the Future contest. The story appears in the anthology Writers of the Future Vol. XV alongside the works of other exciting new voices in the fields of science fiction and fantasy. Nicholson will be in High Point to sign copies of the book on Saturday, June 3rd.

The Writers of the Future contest receives thousands of entries from across the world, and the stories are judged by best-selling writers such as Anne McCaffrey, Jerry Pournelle, Frederik Pohl, and Robert Silverberg. Nicholson received the $6,000 grand prize at a ceremony held last September in Hollywood. Contest winners have gone on to publish over 150 novels and 2,000 short stories.

"I woke up one morning with the words ‘vampire shortstop’ in my head," Nicholson says. "I didn’t know what it meant. I suppose it’s one of those puns the subconscious makes, a play on the words ‘umpire’ and ‘vampire.’ I went straight to the keyboard and wrote most of the story in one sitting."

The story was also picked up by W. P. Kinsella, author of the novel Shoeless Joe, which later became the movie "Field of Dreams." Kinsella is reprinting the story in a collection called Baseball Fantastic.

Nicholson has sold more than twenty stories. His work has been recommended for the Nebula and Stoker Awards, and he was First Runner-Up for the Darrell Award in 1999. Nicholson’s first story collection, Thank You For The Flowers, will be released in October by Parkway Publishers.

Sharyn McCrumb, acclaimed author of the Appalachian Ballad books, says, "Scott Nicholson is that rare creature, even rarer than a vampire shortstop: a writer with wisdom and imagination. He has entered that literary shadow land between Neil Gaiman and Ray Bradbury. Send out the Welcome Wagon!"

Nicholson currently works as a journalist in Boone, NC. He’s marketing several novels, and is working on his first screenplay. He operates a writer’s website, The Haunted Computer, at www.hauntedcomputer.com.

The book signing begins at 4:00 PM on June 3rd at Books-A-Million, located at 265 Eastchester Drive. For more information on the event, call (336) 889-5112.

For a high-resolution JPEG color photograph of Scott Nicholson or the book cover, please e-mail XXXX with the request.

And here's a press release for radio. Note its brevity. Numbers are spelled out (i.e., "ninth" instead of "9th"). Leave a contact number in case you're lucky enough to be asked for a voicer, sound bite, or interview.

Special to Jeremy Batten, WATA News
For immediate release
For more information, contact Scott Nicholson
Phone #

Boone Writer Wins Hubbard Gold Award

A local man has won the grand prize in an international writing contest.

Scott Nicholson received the Hubbard Gold Award at a ceremony held in Hollywood last week. Nicholson's winning story is called "The Vampire Shortstop," and was named the best story of the year in the Writers of the Future contest. The contest was judged by best-selling science fiction and fantasy writers. Nicholson, who lives in Boone, won six thousand dollars in prize and publication money plus a week-long trip to Hollywood.

His winning story is published in the anthology Writers of the Future volume fifteen. Nicholson will be signing copies of the book at the Book Warehouse in Boone on Saturday afternoon, October ninth.

Wow, this is so easy I should have been world-famous long ago! All right, kiddies, now you know how to outsell Stephen King. Good luck!

--copyright 2000 by Scott Nicholson. Contact for reprint permission.
Scott Nicholson's website is http://www.hauntedcomputer.com/ and he has quite a few articles for writers

Vicki M. Taylor
June 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Public Relations

**This article is the first of a series on effective public relations.

Marketing Your Book Using Press Releases
No matter how great your distribution channels are, your book won’t sell if the public doesn’t know it’s available. Even if you’ve never thought of yourself as a “PR” person, you’ll be amazed at how easily you can take on that role in the process of marketing your book. As the author, you are uniquely qualified to tell others about your book.

Publicizing your book is largely a process of catching the public’s attention through the media. You must generate news about your book and learn how to use the media to get that news before the public. You need to develop skills in crafting newsworthy media releases, forming media contacts, and managing those contacts effectively. You also need to be committed to an ongoing public relations campaign; persistence is your greatest tool in this effort.

Using Press Releases and Media Kits
Press releases, also known as news releases, are one of the most effective ways to capture the public’s attention. The best press releases are short, simple, and effective. These one-page announcements of newsworthy events associated with your book can be sent by themselves, with a review copy of your book, or as part of a larger media kit.

Writing a good press release takes some understanding of how and when the release is to be distributed. It also requires a keen editorial eye and a strong understanding of the market served by the media outlet receiving the release. Here, you learn how to craft an attention-grabbing press release and use it most effectively. You also learn how to put together a full media kit for any media outlet.

Understanding How Press Releases Work
You use press releases to generate publicity for your book. By sending notices to the media about your book’s release, your speaking engagements, author signings, and other events associated with your book’s publication and distribution, you provide news sources with the information and materials they need to keep your book before the public eye. Your press release may foster contacts from the media, reviews of your book, and requests for interviews.

A press release is news, however, not an advertisement. You must be sure, therefore, to build your release around a newsworthy event. Here are just some of the reasons for sending out a press release about your book:

* To announce the release of your book
* To highlight the relevance of your book’s topic to a recent, controversial, or otherwise newsworthy event
* To announce your appearance at a major event (local or state fair, community gathering, writing seminar, book reading/signing, etc.)
* To announce articles published by or about you
* To announce sales promotions, the availability of free samples, or upcoming demonstrations you’ll be offering in relation to your book
* To announce that you’re starting a newsletter or e-zine
* To announce the launch of your own Web site or online service
* To announce that you’re offering a class, seminar, or workshop
* To announce an upcoming appearance on radio or television, or the publication of an in-print interview
* To announce upcoming holiday events or programs with tie-ins to your book’s topic
* To announce the anniversary of your book’s release date or a sales milestone
* To announce your book’s appearance on a bestseller list
* To announce your book’s winning of an award

Writing an Effective Press Release
You don’t have to be a great journalist to put together a powerful press release. The most important rule is to keep it simple. Press releases should follow a basic Associated Press style; they tell the reader the “who, what, where, when, and why” of a newsworthy event associated with your book, and present that information in an “inverted pyramid” style. That simply means that the most important information—the basis for the entire press release—appears at the beginning of the release, and the remaining information diminishes in importance as it moves down the page.

Formatting Your News Release
Some media outlets receive hundreds (even thousands) of press releases each day, so it’s important that your press release is easy to read, complete, and compelling. Using the right format is a critical first step in this process. The press release should contain no more than one double-spaced page of information that includes these major elements:

* A boldly formatted line reading ***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE***, which lets the media outlet know the information can be published as soon as its received
* Contact information for more information, including name, phone, e-mail, and fax details
* An attention-catching headline
* The city and state from which you’re releasing the news, followed by the first and most important information the release is conveying
* Two or three additional paragraphs of text that provide the remaining information for your release
* A final paragraph that provides a brief author bio or information about the publishing company distributing your book
* Three pound signs (###), centered below your final paragraph, to indicate the end of the document

Writing Great Content
When determining what content to include in your release, remember that you are conveying news associated with you and your book. Your headline should powerfully and immediately announce that news:

“Food for Thought Author Discusses Controversial Animal Rights Issues at Upcoming Seminar”
“‘Holiday in the Park’ Festival to Include Book Signing by Local Author”
“Money in Your Pocket Author Gene Willard Takes Financial Advice Online”
“Local Fitness Author Encourages City Workers to Be Big-Time Losers”

Your headline’s goal is to catch the reporter’s eye and draw it down to your opening paragraph. It should give the reader an accurate heads-up about content, but it’s a taste of the news to come, not the whole story.

Your first paragraph should concisely state the important facts of your press release. Who and what the release is about, when and where the associated event took place (is taking place or will take place), and why the event is worth knowing about or participating in. Be sure to describe your book in this first important paragraph of text.

The next few paragraphs should offer important ideas and information that expand upon those basic details. The final paragraph of the news release should include a brief author bio and, if appropriate, information about the book’s publisher or distributor. Remember that your press release will be used to generate news, but it won’t necessarily be reprinted word for word.

Remember, that each press release is relating news about a single event associated with you and your book. Keep the content of the release focused and concise, and offer some information that’s truly useful for the media outlet you’re contacting. Here are some other important tips for writing great press releases:

* Remember that you’re writing for editors, so be clear, concise, and accurate. Check spelling, dates, and details carefully.
* Include your book’s Web site address along with other contact information for arranging interviews or requesting review copies.
* Don’t use boxes, pictures, or other graphic elements in the document; these things tie up fax machines and consume ink, which will irk many editors. Overly “designed” documents will also look like ads, and might be tossed out without a further glance.
* Don’t include pricing or ordering information; your press release cannot be worded as a solicitation piece (you’ll read more about this later).
* Don’t embellish your piece with overblown hype and worn clichés such as “a must read” or “soon-to-be-bestseller.”
* Don’t bill your release as groundbreaking news unless it is groundbreaking.

Writing Press Releases for Online Media Outlets
The Web is one of the world’s most commonly used research tools. Journalists search the Web regularly, for article research as well as for news releases. As many as 60 percent of people with online access use the Web to find news, and nearly all journalists go online every day. Therefore, you’re wise to incorporate Web news sources in your public relations efforts by sending selected sites copies of appropriate press releases.

When customizing your press releases for use online, remember that most people will find your information as the result of an online search. Therefore, you’ll want to be sure your press release contains terms that are likely to come up in searches conducted by people interested in your book and its topic. Although your press release should be structured with the same “inverted pyramid” form and directed content advised for releases targeting other media outlets, be sure to use as many “searchable” terms as possible in the body and headline of your document.

**Adapted from Your Voice in Demand: The AuthorHouse Guide to Marketing and Promoting Your Book 2005

Dee Brice
June 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hey Vicki!

Great stuff!!!!! Thanks,

Dee

Vicki M. Taylor
June 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Writing Great Content for Your Press Release

***This is the third article in a series covering the elements of effective public relations.

When determining what content to include in your release, remember that you are conveying news associated with you and your book. Your headline should powerfully and immediately announce that news:

"Food for Thought Author Discusses Controversial Animal Rights Issues at Upcoming Seminar"

"'Holiday in the Park' Festival to Include Book Signing by Local Author"

"Money in Your Pocket Author Gene Willard Takes Financial Advice Online"

"Local Fitness Author Encourages City Workers to Be Big-Time Losers"

Your headline's goal is to catch the reporter's eye and draw it down to your opening paragraph. It should give the reader an accurate heads-up about content, but it's a taste of the news to come, not the whole story.

Your first paragraph should concisely state the important facts of your press release. Who and what the release is about, when and where the associated event took place (is taking place or will take place), and why the event is worth knowing about or participating in. Be sure to describe your book in this first important paragraph of text.

The next few paragraphs should offer important ideas and information that expand upon those basic details. The final paragraph of the news release should include a brief author bio and, if appropriate, information about the book’s publisher or distributor. Remember that your press release will be used to generate news, but it won't necessarily be reprinted word for word.

Remember, that each press release is relating news about a single event associated with you and your book. Keep the content of the release focused and concise, and offer some information that's truly useful for the media outlet you’re contacting. Here are some other important tips for writing great press releases:

* Remember that you're writing for editors, so be clear, concise, and accurate. Check spelling, dates, and details carefully.
* Include your book's Web site address along with other contact information for arranging interviews or requesting review copies.
* Don't use boxes, pictures, or other graphic elements in the document; these things tie up fax machines and consume ink, which will irk many editors. Overly "designed" documents will also look like ads, and might be tossed out without a further glance.
* Don't include pricing or ordering information; your press release cannot be worded as a solicitation piece (you'll read more about this later).
* Don't embellish your piece with overblown hype and worn clichés such as "a must read" or "soon-to-be-bestseller."
* Don’t bill your release as groundbreaking news unless it is groundbreaking.

***Adapted from Your Voice in Demand: The AuthorHouse Guide to Marketing and Promoting Your Book (AuthorHouse, 2005)

Vicki M. Taylor
June 20th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Author 101

(Excerpted - with permission - from Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity, by Rick Frishman and Robyn Spizman; contact Rick at FRISHMANR@PlannedTVArts.com or www.author101.com)

Write releases in the journalistic style used by the print media because outlets may publish them, or parts of them, with little or no changes, especially when they’re faced with tight deadlines. The format of a press release isn’t as important for the electronic media because it treats them as leads that it must investigate further. The electronic media is used to getting information in the journalistic format and then shaping it according to its own needs.

Write your press release in three parts: (1) Introduce your book and the problems it will solve, (2) give your credentials, and (3) explain what action you would like the media to take.

For the print media, the first paragraph of your press release is vital. It should run no more than two or three sentences and set forth all the main points covered in the release. Don’t clutter up your opening paragraph with details. The press isn’t interested in every trivial point and will fly right past them. Unnecessary information can turn off readers, which could kill your more important points. If you must include details, stick them at the end of your release or, better yet, put them in a separate, more comprehensive article that you include with your media kit.

After the first paragraph, amplify your lead, but hold your release to one page. The lead paragraph should inform the media about your book, so treat it as an announcement. Then, explain your lead in the subsequent paragraphs by providing background, more specific or additional information such as points you didn’t cover in the lead, and some statistics. A great way to do so is with bullets. You can also place bulleted items in a box or shade them. Prioritize your bulleted items and list them in order of their importance because readers may not get through the entire list. Write five to seven bullets, with five being preferable. Each bulleted item should not exceed two concise sentences, and one sentence is preferable. Write bullets crisply so they are short, clear, and hard hitting.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Samples of Press Releases
http://www.publicityinsider.com/release.asp
http://www.press-release-writing.com/sample-press-release.htm
http://allfreelancewriting.com/2007/09/12/writers-resources/writers-resource-sample-press-release-template-for-a-book-launch/
http://www.thewritemarket.com/press/index.php?press=press-release&title=Example%20Press%20Release
http://www.samplepressrelease.info/
http://www.free-press-release-center.info/sample-press-release.html

Vicki M. Taylor
June 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Your Assignment for the weekend and through Wednesday is to work on and write a Press Release for at least 3 book releases. If you only have one or two coming out. Then write it in another flavor using a different topic and audience.

If you have a book that is going to be released soon, write your press release for that book. Write it several ways to approach various audiences.

Use what you've learned this last week.

As usual, I will be gone for the weekend, but I will also be gone Monday through Wednesday recovering from a minor outpatient procedure. My hubby's taking me to the Keys. I'll be back some time on Wednesday. I'm not making any promises, but I'll try to log on and check on you during next week. Internet connect is hit or miss on the keys.

Please work hard on your assignments. Share them with each other. Work on them together. When you post your final, put FINAL in the title so I know what to look for when I return.

Thanks so much!!!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
How's everyone doing on their assignments?

Dee Brice
June 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
Okay folks, here's my first attempt at this assignment.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Local Actress Sells Fourth Erotic Romance

Dee Brice, know to local area theatergoers as Diane Beaumont, announces the release of her fourth erotic romance. “His Virtual Virgin”, the second in Ms. Brice’s Virtual Seductions series, is available from e-book publisher Ellora’s Cave (ellorascave.com) for $5.20 (ISBN 9781418816625).

The futuristic fantasy spins around the attempts of a sexy Jovian inventor and a beautiful Venusian healer to prevent another interplanetary war. Their adversary is a Marsian ambassador to Earth who intends to corrupt the inventor’s veracity detector for his own purposes.

To read an excerpt and view other books by Ms. Brice visit her website at deebrice.com.

In her acting days, Dee appeared at Chatagua (“Tribute”) and at Stagedoor Comedy Playhouse, most notably in “Move Over, Mrs. Markham” and “Norman, Is That You?”

# # #

P.S. I left off my personal information deliberately.

Dee Brice
June 23rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Okay, here's number two. Again, I've purposely removed my personal info.

****FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE****

New Erotic Romance Now Available

What do a sexy Jovian inventor, a beautiful Venusian healer, and an ambitious Marsian ambassador have in common? Find out in Dee Brice’s latest erotic romance “His Virtual Assassin” now available from e-book publisher Ellora’s Cave (ellorascave.com).

After fifteen years actively seeking to be published, writing romance in practically every subgenre, Dee Brice finally found her author’s voice in erotic romance. “His Virtual Assassin” is her fourth e-published erotic romance. To read an excerpt from this and Ms. Brice’s other e-books, go to deebrice.com.
You may purchase “His Virtual Assassin” for $5.20 from ellorascave.com. (ISBN 9781418816625).

I appreciate your time and hope to see this announcement in your publication in the near future.

# # #

Dee Brice
June 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Vicki,
Nice to see that you're back. Have I posted my "assignment" to the wrong thread or are others just not doing this?

Hope you're feeling ok and are healthy and all that good stuff!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 26th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Vicki,
Nice to see that you're back. Have I posted my "assignment" to the wrong thread or are others just not doing this?

Hope you're feeling ok and are healthy and all that good stuff!

HI Dee,

Thanks, I feel 100% better. Great to be back. Now, about your PR, The titles are going to get you tossed in the circular file because they announce another book release. You have to hook them. Tie your release with a local event if you're sending to local papers. Tie your release to a national event if you're sending to national papers. Find the link. Something in your research for the story, something in the story itself. Something in the background of your characters. Maybe something in your background. Then write your PR. Now. Pretend you've found that link, write your hook and then write your release.

OH, and to answer your other question, I guess the others haven't posted their releases yet.

Dee Brice
June 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi Vicki,
Thanks for the input. Did you read my first posting? Local Actress is the hook on that one. Since I write erotic romance--specifically historical fantasy and futuristic fantasy, I don't see how I can get a national or even local event hook.

Any input is appreciated.

MelanieR
June 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
My book is out as an e-book and will be in print July 1st. But rather than homemade book marks I went a different way. I went to Vista Print. They have sales all the time, and I got 100 3x5 postcards. The front has a glossy finish and on the back I put.

Champagne Books is pleased to announce the release of
A Love That Lasts
By
Me
with the available days.

I also got 25 business card size magnets with my cover art, 250 business cards with my contact information and Champagnes, a t-shirt and a pen. The t-shirt you can't put your cover on but you can put the title and your website,and a flower or something else, which is what I did.

After those were such a hit with everyone, I ordered more cards and got 25 Calender magnets for 2009. With my cover on them.

Okay so now you're all saying, yeah but I can't afford all that, it's not in the budget. Well it was in mine. It was all free, all I paid for was the shipping. On my first round of postcards I put the Champange logo in the middle in color and that did cost $9.99 for the first 100. The second time I did them in black and white. All total for all that I have about $30.00 into it.

Everyone loves the postcards. I have them placed all over town. With your business cards, every time you send something in the mail, drop in a business card. I also give them to clerks in stores when I check out. My husband pretty much hands them to every one he sees.

When I sent my press kit to the local newspaper, I included everything I am using to promotion. Except the t-shirt. I just go a call from them today. The article about my release will be in July 13th.

I posted a message on my alumni board from high school. Also if you play games at POGO, I have on my profile there that I'm a writer and have my website in my profile. Drop your name every time you get a chance.

Oh and lastly, I did include a sample chapter. And everything else that Vicki suggested.

I hope this helps.
Melanie

Vicki M. Taylor
June 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi Vicki,
Thanks for the input. Did you read my first posting? Local Actress is the hook on that one. Since I write erotic romance--specifically historical fantasy and futuristic fantasy, I don't see how I can get a national or even local event hook.

Any input is appreciated.

Hi Dee, yes, I got the "Local Actress" on the first PR, thanks for the reminder, it did have a hook.

You'd be surprised at what you think wouldn't be hooks. Watch for those Sci Fi conventions and link into those. FantasyFest down in the Keys at KeyWest.

I'm sure there are more events too. Maybe google "Fantasy" and "event" ?

Vicki M. Taylor
June 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My book is out as an e-book and will be in print July 1st. But rather than homemade book marks I went a different way. I went to Vista Print. They have sales all the time, and I got 100 3x5 postcards. The front has a glossy finish and on the back I put.

Champagne Books is pleased to announce the release of
A Love That Lasts
By
Me
with the available days.

I also got 25 business card size magnets with my cover art, 250 business cards with my contact information and Champagnes, a t-shirt and a pen. The t-shirt you can't put your cover on but you can put the title and your website,and a flower or something else, which is what I did.

After those were such a hit with everyone, I ordered more cards and got 25 Calender magnets for 2009. With my cover on them.

Okay so now you're all saying, yeah but I can't afford all that, it's not in the budget. Well it was in mine. It was all free, all I paid for was the shipping. On my first round of postcards I put the Champange logo in the middle in color and that did cost $9.99 for the first 100. The second time I did them in black and white. All total for all that I have about $30.00 into it.

Everyone loves the postcards. I have them placed all over town. With your business cards, every time you send something in the mail, drop in a business card. I also give them to clerks in stores when I check out. My husband pretty much hands them to every one he sees.

When I sent my press kit to the local newspaper, I included everything I am using to promotion. Except the t-shirt. I just go a call from them today. The article about my release will be in July 13th.

I posted a message on my alumni board from high school. Also if you play games at POGO, I have on my profile there that I'm a writer and have my website in my profile. Drop your name every time you get a chance.

Oh and lastly, I did include a sample chapter. And everything else that Vicki suggested.

I hope this helps.
Melanie

Melanie, great promotion budgeting. We're going to get into that in the next few days.

MelanieR
June 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I should have paid better attention to what I was post to. I wouldn't have been so long winded. But I do that from time to time.

MelanieR
June 27th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Here is my press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:<o></o>
Romance Author<o></o>
(570)<o></o>
melanierutan@comcast.net<o></o>
<o></o>
Local Author Releases Second Novel<o></o>
<o></o>
Melanie Rutan, a local romance author, has released her second novel, A Love That Lasts, a romantic/mystery. A Love That Lasts is published by Champagne Books.
<o></o><o></o>
Her debut novel, In Walks Love, was released in April 2005 by Publish <st1:country-region><st1>America</st1></st1:country-region>.
Melanie Rutan is one of the romance genre’s newest and most promising authors. Her fun, fast paced story and likeable characters will keep you turning the page. To learn more about Melanie, you can visit her at www.melanierutan.com<o></o><o></o><o></o>

Readers can purchase A Love That Lasts as an E-book startingJune 1<sup>st</sup>online at, www.champagnebooks.com (http://www.champagnebooks.com/). The paperback will be released July 1<sup>st</sup> and can be purchased and Barnes & Noble, http://www.barnesandnoble.com (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/), Fictionwise, www.fictionwise.com (http://www.fictionwise.com/)<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_s1026" type="#_x0000_t75" style='position:absolute; left:0;text-align:left;margin-left:18pt;margin-top:27pt;width:8in;height:801pt; z-index:-1;mso-position-horizontal-relative:page; mso-position-vertical-relative:page'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Melanie\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip _image001.wmz" o:title="famsch"/> <w:wrap anchorx="page" anchory="page"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->

Vicki M. Taylor
June 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Here is my press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:<o></o>
Romance Author<o></o>
(570)<o></o>
melanierutan@comcast.net<o></o>
<o></o>
Local Author Releases Second Novel<o></o>
<o></o>
Melanie Rutan, a local romance author, has released her second novel, A Love That Lasts, a romantic/mystery. A Love That Lasts is published by Champagne Books.
<o></o><o></o>
Her debut novel, In Walks Love, was released in April 2005 by Publish <st1:country-region><st1>America</st1></st1:country-region>.
Melanie Rutan is one of the romance genre’s newest and most promising authors. Her fun, fast paced story and likeable characters will keep you turning the page. To learn more about Melanie, you can visit her at www.melanierutan.com<o></o><o></o><o></o>

Readers can purchase A Love That Lasts as an E-book startingJune 1<sup>st</sup>online at, www.champagnebooks.com (http://www.champagnebooks.com/). The paperback will be released July 1<sup>st</sup> and can be purchased and Barnes & Noble, http://www.barnesandnoble.com (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/), Fictionwise, www.fictionwise.com (http://www.fictionwise.com/)<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_s1026" type="#_x0000_t75" style='position:absolute; left:0;text-align:left;margin-left:18pt;margin-top:27pt;width:8in;height:801pt; z-index:-1;mso-position-horizontal-relative:page; mso-position-vertical-relative:page'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Melanie\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip _image001.wmz" o:title="famsch"/> <w:wrap anchorx="page" anchory="page"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->

Melanie,

"Local"...is good for a local paper.

However, you can find a better hook than "second novel" for your title. That's not going to get your PR read and kept.

You want to hook the reader of your PR so that you grab their interest and give them a reason to want to interview you or print your PR.

Use your background, the research you did to write your book, or even the story background.

Interview yourself. Or, interview a character in your book.

Get quotes, by using pieces of your early reviews. Put them in your PR.

See the examples of PR's in the notes I've given.