7.Volunteering in your community
8.Joining a writing group
9.Joining a book club
10.Advanced reading copies
11.post cards
12.bookmarks

Bookmarks and postcards are easy and inexpensive
Microsoft Word even has a template!

What to put on your bookmark or postcard?
Cover image
Publisher
Website
Snail mail, e-mail address
Pic of author
Book blurb
Short blurb about next release
Invitation to book signing or next appearance

There are companies that make great looking bookmarks or postcards for a great prices.

Earthly Charms http://www.earthlycharms.com

http://iconix.biz/bookmarks.htm

http://www.online-printing-service.com/bookmarks.html

www.iprint.com

http://www102.iprint.com/cgi-shl/index.cgi?sID=2008050813/d2425171b790f1d2-1&HOME=TRUE

Just a note: iprint.com is a one-stop shopping site for all your offline printing needs.

rgraham666
June 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
And still more ways to promote your books

1.Making Contacts
2.Newsletters
3.Contests
4.Book signings
5.Speaking engagements
6.Writing articles
7.Volunteering in your community
8.Joining a writing group
9.Joining a book club
10.Advanced reading copies
11.post cards
12.bookmarks

1. I do that all the time. Through chats, forums etc.

2. I've considered it. I use a blog instead. Also I get very uncomfortable pushing stuff on people.

3. I do those only on rare occasions. Usually when I release a new book. My sales are so low I could easily give out more copies than I sold if I'm not careful. Plus, as that link I posted elsewhere shows, I don't believe contests create much demand for my work.

4. Since all my releases are e-books, signings aren't really possible. Plus I'm very uncomfortable in situations like that, near phobia level. I've found they trigger bouts of depression which isn't good for me or my writing.

5. See above.

6. Do interviews count? I've done a few of those.

7. See #4.

8 and 9. #4 applies here as well.

10. I give out a very few. See #3 for reasons I keep it limited.

11 and 12. Being on a disability I don't have the money for this sort of thing. Also, like contests, I'm not sure that the effort put into them has a result commensurate with the effort.

My $0.02.

Alex_Draven
June 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM
related to #7 and #8 - book swap groups. I'm on BookMooch, (http://www.bookmooch.com) but I know there are loads of similar groups - I've used my own postcards to send a 'here's the book you asked for - happy reading' note in with the books I'm mailing out, on the grounds that the person you're sending books to is clearly an interested reader, so - why not?

Obviously, it's just a side-effect of using the group to keep my personal reading addiction within my budget, but having printed up the postcards/bookmarks/businesscards, why not?

Alex

Vicki M. Taylor
June 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
1. I do that all the time. Through chats, forums etc.

2. I've considered it. I use a blog instead. Also I get very uncomfortable pushing stuff on people.

3. I do those only on rare occasions. Usually when I release a new book. My sales are so low I could easily give out more copies than I sold if I'm not careful. Plus, as that link I posted elsewhere shows, I don't believe contests create much demand for my work.

4. Since all my releases are e-books, signings aren't really possible. Plus I'm very uncomfortable in situations like that, near phobia level. I've found they trigger bouts of depression which isn't good for me or my writing.

5. See above.

6. Do interviews count? I've done a few of those.

7. See #4.

8 and 9. #4 applies here as well.

10. I give out a very few. See #3 for reasons I keep it limited.

11 and 12. Being on a disability I don't have the money for this sort of thing. Also, like contests, I'm not sure that the effort put into them has a result commensurate with the effort.

My $0.02.

As far as contests go, you don't have to give away a copy of your book all the time. You can give away gift cards to a bookstore like B&N. Or a coffee shop like Starbucks. Or you can give away a signed first draft or something similar.

I'm sorry about public outings triggering depression. You might want to look at having these events online. All except the book signing which I don't think I've heard of happening online. Unless anyone else has?

Articles and interviews are different. Doing both will help keep your name out there and give you more publishing credits.

ARC's. Your publisher usually supplies you with a set amount based on your contract. You can give those away to reviewers.

As far as postcards, check out www.vistaprint.com you can get them free and pay only for postage.

As far as bookmarks, MS Word has a template where you can make your own if you're creative.

If you have some connections, or want to try Craig's List, you might be able to barter for bookmarks.

kimmipoo38
June 13th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Done all that as well, even though I too am an e-book author. And the bookmarks are easy to make with Word. I would be happy to send anyone an attachment with the template for them. Just let me know.
As for further promo, I also have been using a good bit of the sites like facebook, myspace, myyearbook, bebo, and shelfari. All are good outlets to get your work out there and are easy to maintain and use. For a cheep website, I use freewebs. They have plenty of templates and easy to read instructions for those like me who are not web savvy. And it's free, so that's always a plus.
Kimberly Hunter

Legend of the Lupa - MS Fiction
Soul Match(anthology Beyond the Stars) - MS Fiction
Two for the Price of One - Black Velvet Seductions, coming soon
www.kimmipoo38.webs.com (http://www.kimmipoo38.webs.com)
www.myspace.com/kimberlyhunterauthor (http://www.myspace.com/kimberlyhunterauthor)
www.midnightshowcase.com (http://www.midnightshowcase.com)

Anita Davison
June 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Good advice, Vicky

For printing, don't forget www.vistaprint.com
for postcards, bookmarks etc.
They do some great promotional offers too which help keep the prices down

Vicki M. Taylor
June 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Done all that as well, even though I too am an e-book author. And the bookmarks are easy to make with Word. I would be happy to send anyone an attachment with the template for them. Just let me know.
As for further promo, I also have been using a good bit of the sites like facebook, myspace, myyearbook, bebo, and shelfari. All are good outlets to get your work out there and are easy to maintain and use. For a cheep website, I use freewebs. They have plenty of templates and easy to read instructions for those like me who are not web savvy. And it's free, so that's always a plus.
Kimberly Hunter

Legend of the Lupa - MS Fiction
Soul Match(anthology Beyond the Stars) - MS Fiction
Two for the Price of One - Black Velvet Seductions, coming soon
www.kimmipoo38.webs.com (http://www.kimmipoo38.webs.com)
www.myspace.com/kimberlyhunterauthor (http://www.myspace.com/kimberlyhunterauthor)
www.midnightshowcase.com (http://www.midnightshowcase.com)

Thanks, Kimberly, those are great offers.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Good advice, Vicky

For printing, don't forget www.vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com)
for postcards, bookmarks etc.
They do some great promotional offers too which help keep the prices down

Thanks, Anita.

I use Vistaprint all the time for my business cards and other printing needs. I get the sales sent to me via e-mail and take advantage of their free offers. I just pay for shipping. Works out great and way to my advantage.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Continued from first post -----

13. pens/pencils
14. business cards

Business cards are easy to create on your own, if you have a ink jet color printer; can purchase sheets of cards from office supply store

Simple to order from your local PostNet or Kinko’s, Staples, Office Depot, etc.

Can even order online from VistaPrint, you can get 250 cards for as little as the cost of shipping

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

Some promotion items that will cost some amount

ii.Advance reading copies
iii.Post cards
iv.Bookmarks
v.Press kits
vi.Pens/pencils
vii.Business cards

hollie
June 13th, 2008, 01:57 PM
i love getting bookmarks and postcards and stuff i have a box i keep them in

Vicki M. Taylor
June 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Promoting Online and Promoting Offline – how much time to devote to each? Spend approximately 40% of your writing time promoting your work. About 35% promoting online and 5% promoting offline. This is just an accumulation of polls taken. Your actual time spent on promotion can vary.

I've talked to some authors, and those with books currently coming out, they spend 100% of their time on promotion, mostly online.

Create a website that is easy to use, easy to maintain, friendly to visitors, contains excerpts, synopsis, reviews, photos, scheduled events, and ordering information for your books – keep it updated –

TIP!!! Always, always, capture e-mails and addresses of those who visit your site and write to you, buy books from you and visit your book signings. Create a master mailing list. This list should continue to grow.

Alex_Draven
June 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Those are interesting stats - promotion really is a central part of the job, isn't it?

TIP!!! Always, always, capture e-mails and addresses of those who visit your site and write to you, buy books from you and visit your book signings. Create a master mailing list. This list should continue to grow.

I don't know about the legal situation in the USA, but in the EU authors should be careful about the data protection implications of this - being added to a mailing list, especially one that's used for promotion of items for sale, should always be explicitly opt-in. (There are also rules and guidelines about making it clear in every mailing how people can opt out of the list down the line.) Indiscriminate collection of addresses can land you in legal problems, and get you flagged as spam by your ISP.

Using sales / emails / website / sign up sheets at live events to offer people the opportunity to sign up for your mailing list is a great thing, but compiling a promotions list from addresses people have given you for other reasons is treading on legally marshy ground.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations for mailing list services? Yahoo' service seems to be pretty popular, but there have to be others, right?

Cheers,

Alex

Sylvie
June 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
send me your snail mail addy at sylvierkaye@hotmail.com and I'll gladly send you a bookmark and some promo items of mine :-)
sylvie

i love getting bookmarks and postcards and stuff i have a box i keep them in

kimmipoo38
June 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I would be glad to send out a few of my bookmarks as well. My e-mail is rshkah13@ctc.net and send me a snail mail addy.
Kimberly Hunter

Vicki M. Taylor
June 16th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I don't know about the legal situation in the USA, but in the EU authors should be careful about the data protection implications of this - being added to a mailing list, especially one that's used for promotion of items for sale, should always be explicitly opt-in. (There are also rules and guidelines about making it clear in every mailing how people can opt out of the list down the line.) Indiscriminate collection of addresses can land you in legal problems, and get you flagged as spam by your ISP.

Using sales / emails / website / sign up sheets at live events to offer people the opportunity to sign up for your mailing list is a great thing, but compiling a promotions list from addresses people have given you for other reasons is treading on legally marshy ground.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations for mailing list services? Yahoo' service seems to be pretty popular, but there have to be others, right?

Cheers,

Alex

Good points, Alex.

Opt In, and Opt Out clauses should always be a part of your lists and made very clear.

rgraham666
June 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Promoting Online and Promoting Offline – how much time to devote to each? Spend approximately 40% of your writing time promoting your work. About 35% promoting online and 5% promoting offline. This is just an accumulation of polls taken. Your actual time spent on promotion can vary.

I've talked to some authors, and those with books currently coming out, they spend 100% of their time on promotion, mostly online.

Create a website that is easy to use, easy to maintain, friendly to visitors, contains excerpts, synopsis, reviews, photos, scheduled events, and ordering information for your books – keep it updated –

Since all my releases to date are e-books I do all of my promotion on-line. Plus it's really cheap so it fits into my budget. ;)

As I stated elsewhere off line promoting is nearly impossible for me to do for psychological reasons.

I've been doing nothing but promotion recently because I've lost all interest in writing, for the moment.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 16th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Since all my releases to date are e-books I do all of my promotion on-line. Plus it's really cheap so it fits into my budget. ;)

As I stated elsewhere off line promoting is nearly impossible for me to do for psychological reasons.

I've been doing nothing but promotion recently because I've lost all interest in writing, for the moment.

Cheap and fits your budget are good!

You can't push yourself past your own personal reasons. You can work on them, and maybe you can eventually. I still have troubles, but I used to have bad agoraphobia. Now, it's mostly under control.

If you have writer's block, take advantage of it. Point your attention to another part of your career. Promotion is a good direction. The desire will come back. Don't let it get you down. Doing workshops like this are good too. You're doing the right things, Rob. I woudn't worry too much about your writer's block.

hollie
June 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM
send me your snail mail addy at sylvierkaye@hotmail.com and I'll gladly send you a bookmark and some promo items of mine :-)
sylvie

I would be glad to send out a few of my bookmarks as well. My e-mail is rshkah13@ctc.net and send me a snail mail addy.
Kimberly Hunter

Thank you Ladies i sent you both E-mails i collect nearly as many book marks and postcards as i do books. Just don't let the smurf know he hasn't worked it out. Innocent?

Dee Brice
June 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I guess what I'm puzzling over the most is how to make a press release sound interesting.

Help!

Vicki M. Taylor
June 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I guess what I'm puzzling over the most is how to make a press release sound interesting.

Help!

Dee, jump over to the press release thread. I've added a lot more information that you should find helpful.

Dee Brice
June 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Dee, jump over to the press release thread. I've added a lot more information that you should find helpful.

Thanks so much! I'll go look right now.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 19th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Rob, there's an article in June's issue of the Romantic Writers Report (RWR) titled Self - Promotion for the Introvert by Jane McBride Choate.

I googled, but the article isn't there. Are you a member of RWA? Would you like me to copy the pages and send them to you?

I can do that for anyone who doesn't get the RWR.

rgraham666
June 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Vicki. I would like that. :)

I'm not a member. I'm not much of a joiner.

Vicki M. Taylor
June 19th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Vicki. I would like that. :)

I'm not a member. I'm not much of a joiner.

Ok, I'll get it out to you. Just Private Message me your address, so I can send it to you. Anyone else who wants a copy can just PM me your address too.