PDA

View Full Version : Stories Starting in the Middle....

ChristieSilvers
June 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
What do you think about movies, television shows, and books that begin at an exciting scene that is actually around the middle of the story and then flashing back to the beginning with the "Three Weeks Earlier"?

I've seen many movies and television shows that do that, but not many books. One of my current projects isn't sitting well with me and I'm considering doing something similar with it. Any thoughts on this from my CTR friends?

:whistling: :)

hollie
June 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
i'm just reading a book abit like that i'm not sure at the moment if it's done right it should work i'll let you know when i've read more

ChristieSilvers
June 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Yes, I know what you mean. Some of the movies I've seen can pull it off beautifully, but others just don't. There's this crazy scene that plagues me constantly and wants to be at the beginning instead of the middle. LOL Maybe I'll just do a small rewrite to see how it sounds/looks before I decide on it fully.

hollie
June 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM
That might be a good idea you might find it works well i think it should work well it depends on how you do the back jump a memory or dream or even just dated chapters

ChristieSilvers
June 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks Hollie! Seems a little dead around here lately. Where did all of my regular posters run off to? :( Must be all the summer sunshine and warmth. :)

hollie
June 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks Hollie! Seems a little dead around here lately. Where did all of my regular posters run off to? :( Must be all the summer sunshine and warmth. :)

Sun, Warm why do i get a British summer again? I'm looking out of the window and i can see my pretty red roses dancing about in the wind and the pretty dark grey clouds. Oh I love summer we're hoping for 2 weeks this year only got 1 week last year.

hollie
June 18th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Oh I nearly forgot I finished that book it worked going back and forward, she did it as memorys and dreams it can get confusing so be carefull but it did worked

ChristieSilvers
June 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
LOL Poor Hollie needs some sun NOW! I would never be able to survive withonly a week of summer. I'm too much of a sun-lover. :D

As for the different story stages, I don't think I'll do it as a dream and probably not even a memory. Just more like a statement of "2 weeks earlier" and then go from there. But thenagain, who knows? My books never go as I plan them once they take on their own life. :lol: We'll just wait and see I suppose. :)

rgraham666
June 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM
One of the stories in my next e-book begins in the middle.

It starts the day after the hero's divorce becomes final and follows as he and the heroine, his next door neighbor grow closer.

Events in her life trigger flashbacks to similar event in the hero's life.

It was my most popular story over at Literotica for a couple of years.

ChristieSilvers
June 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for letting me know RH! :) My stories are usually straight-forward--beginning to end--so this will be a bit new to me. But, that's the way the story is calling to me, so I guess I should abide its wishes. :lol:

hollie
June 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
It's all ok to me what ever works best for your story I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your book