PDA

View Full Version : Welcome and Introduction

Laurie2
August 1st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Good Morning!

I understand that a lot of people registered in order to take part in this workshop. That makes me very happy as one of the most common reasons I reject manuscripts is because of a lack of deep point of view.

It is my hope that by the end of this workshop everyone here will have mastered deep point of view. I KNOW that mastering this technique will greatly shorten the journey to publication for those who master it.

A bit about me:

I'm Laurie Sanders, the founder and editor in chief at Black Velvet Seductions as well as your instructor for this workshop.

I have written for more years than I care to admit :-)

Like many of you here I have been a fan of the romance genre for many years. I got my start with Harlequin Romances back before Silhouette was born, and then read numerous Silhouette Romance, Silhouette Desire, and Silhouette Intimate Moments throughout the years.

I wrote off and on for years, but always found my stories and my creativity stifled by the limits of traditional category romance. At one point I stopped reading romance and stopped writing it and turned my attention to writing and publishing short fiction and non-fiction.

Then a few years ago I discovered Ellora's Cave and books that were more like the ones I wanted to write. Almost immediately I began to work on a new novel which included the greater sexual variety afforded by Ellora's Cave. As I wrote I researched possible publishers.

However, the more I wrote the more I realized that what I was writing wasn't exactly what Ellora's Cave published. My heroine was wounded...my hero and heroine didn't have sex until well into the manuscript...the descriptions were richer and the focus on emotion was stronger than in most (not all) Ellora's Cave titles. I began to suspect that my book was not exactly what Ellora's Cave would want.

I researched other publishers and found that there wasn't really anyone publishing a large amount of what I was writing, and of those who published some of what I was writing there wasn't a publisher who offered everything that I wanted. Some of the publishers like Ellora's Cave sold only from their website and I wanted wider distribution, some, like Whiskey Creek only published in ebook and I wanted to be published in paper too.

I began to study other options and looked seriously at the prospect of self-publishing. But the more I studied that option the more it seemed like there would be an awful lot of work to build networks and relationships to promote the book which would only be used once. At about that time I began to toy with what had been a lifetime dream. I began to think about the possibility of starting my own publishing company.

I talked over the idea with my husband who has always been very supportive of me and of my writing, and who was a believer in my novel His Perfect Submissive (http://www.blackvelvetseductions.com/His%20Perfect%20Submissive.html)from the beginning.

My husband has spent a good part of his working life acting as a business analyst for Fortune 500 companies, so when it came to launching a business he had a lot of questions for me. We discussed and I persuaded, and eventually we decided to go forward. Black Velvet Seductions was incorporated and I began to tackle the tasks of building the website and issuing calls for submissions (things I had never done before).

That was three years ago now. I have learned A LOT in the time I have spent writing and editing. Much of what I will share with you in this workshop is the culmination of the things I've learned along this journey.

As I said at the outset, deep point of view, or rather the lack of it, is one of the main reasons that I reject manuscripts. The problem for authors is that most editors will reject your manuscript without telling you that they are rejecting it because it lacks deep point of view.

The thing is, shallow point of view doesn't show up on the page as a neon light that blinks shallow point of view. Instead it masquerades as many other things...unlikeable hero or heroine...characters who seem to act out of character...settings that seem staid or static...conflicts that seem tacked on...dialogue that seems flat...a story that doesn't sparkle...a story that doesn't draw the reader in...and the list goes on.

The chances are if you've received a rejection that pointed out these things the real culprit is shallow point of view. Ditto if the comments came from your critique group or a contest judge.

It's my hope that with a whole month to cover this topic everyone here will be able to recognize shallow point of view and correct it. Mastering this technique will undoubtedly shorten the path to publication.

So...without further blah-blah from me...let's get down to why deep point of view is important to you and your readers.

Please feel free to post your questions and comments under each post. I will be putting different lessons under different threads (as long as I can figure out how to do that). :-)

Laurie

Jacqi_Montano
August 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Laurie :) Nice introduction. I'm here reading your excellent workshop. I always learn something from you, so it's great that you are leading this Deep Point of View workshop here this month.

gincat61
August 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
This sounds like an excellent workshop!

Cindy Maday
August 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Laurie,
You just capped it. I've been told that until you learn POV you will never get published. I have a million questions but will hold off until you start the next class. Hi to everyone else in the class.

Cindy

hootowl23
August 1st, 2008, 04:31 PM
This is my first workshop and I'm so excited about the topic. I can't wait to get started.

Laurie2
August 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jacqi :-)

I am excited to have a whole month to present the workshop this time. Most of the time when I teach the workshop it is squeezed into a week or two which makes it much more hectic for me to review all the exercises. It also makes it a much more intense workshop. I'm looking forward to the longer format and to being able to spend more time covering each area and aspect of deep point of view.

Laurie

Hi Laurie :) Nice introduction. I'm here reading your excellent workshop. I always learn something from you, so it's great that you are leading this Deep Point of View workshop here this month.

Laurie2
August 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Cindy,

On the bright side, at least you were told what you needed to work on. :balloon: A lot of authors are rejected and never told what the culprit is. Knowing what to work on is a big step in the right direction, even if it doesn't feel like it.

There are a lot of authors that think of POV as only whose head you are in and whether or not you are head hopping. That IS one aspect of POV. Depth of point of view takes the strength of whose POV and amplifies it. It's an extremely powerful technique and can make huge differences in a manuscript...as we will all see in a few days when we start working on the first exercises.

I'm glad you're here and hope that you learn everything you need to about POV while you are here. There is a lot of time during this class, which is a big bonus for such a broad topic.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,
You just capped it. I've been told that until you learn POV you will never get published. I have a million questions but will hold off until you start the next class. Hi to everyone else in the class.

Cindy

Laurie2
August 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM
:) Be Careful what you wish for there Hoot. :) I will post some more information/lecture portion tomorrow.

Laurie

This is my first workshop and I'm so excited about the topic. I can't wait to get started.

alde02
August 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hi Laurie,

Looking forward to the class! I really did 'get it' in the class in June! But, I still have a lot to learn!

Cheers, Veronica

Lee Rush
August 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hey Laurie...

Can't wait to get started on the workshop!!

Twisted Shadow
August 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
Hello all,

This is my first workshop also. I can't wait to see how it all works out. Hopefully, I will have learned a lot by the time the workshop is completed.

Mark

hollie
August 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I don't write but I do read -alot, I also review for Coffee Time so I'm hoping to learn something that will help me understand why some books are good and some seem to lack some thing

Laurie2
August 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Veronica,

I'm glad you "got it" in the class in June. It is good to see you here again though. We will try to go a bit further in depth with dealing with flawed and unlikeable characters with this workshop. We have lots more time. :-)

Hi Laurie,

Looking forward to the class! I really did 'get it' in the class in June! But, I still have a lot to learn!

Cheers, Veronica

Laurie2
August 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
My goal will be to make it such that you have learned a lot by the time the workshop is completed. :-)

Laurie

Hello all,

This is my first workshop also. I can't wait to see how it all works out. Hopefully, I will have learned a lot by the time the workshop is completed.

Mark

stargazer
August 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi Laurie,
Having listened and participated in one of your online chat sessions, I am eager to learn more from you. The basic outline you've given sounds like it will extremely beneficial in helping me revise my first attempt at writing erotic romance. Your warmth comes through even through chat which will encourage people to ask questions freely.
Thanks for taking the time to help. stargazer

Laurie2
August 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Thank you Stargazer,

I'm glad you enjoyed the online chat session. They continue. We still meet Saturday evenings at 9PM Eastern in the BVS Chatroom (http://www.blackvelvetseductions.com/Chat%20Room.html)

I am hoping that the outlined content covers most of the bases but I am very happy to answer any questions that anyone has. Questions allow me to tailor the workshop to the needs of the participants.

You're welcome. I very much enjoy teaching.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,
Having listened and participated in one of your online chat sessions, I am eager to learn more from you. The basic outline you've given sounds like it will extremely beneficial in helping me revise my first attempt at writing erotic romance. Your warmth comes through even through chat which will encourage people to ask questions freely.
Thanks for taking the time to help. stargazer

KaraElsberry
August 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Laurie! :)

Thought I'd stop by your workshop and check it out.

Viewpoint is an area of writing where I have the most trouble, so I'm really looking forward to your workshop and reading what you and everyone else has to say. :)

Talk soon,
Kara :spotman:

Laurie2
August 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Kara,

It's good to see you here. I hope the workshop proves useful.

Laurie

Hi Laurie! :)

Thought I'd stop by your workshop and check it out.

Viewpoint is an area of writing where I have the most trouble, so I'm really looking forward to your workshop and reading what you and everyone else has to say. :)

Talk soon,
Kara :spotman: