PDA

View Full Version : Werewolves are people too. Blurb and Excerpt of Soul Mate

Catherine Bybee
August 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yet another excerpt... (un-edited)

Here is the blurb and brief look into my latest werewolf novella.

Kari Pearce lives the life of a lone werewolf. No one knows of her infliction, not even her sister. When she hears of a missing child up in the Sequoia’s, Kari goes on the hunt to find the child and her abductor before tragedy can occur. Saving the child was easy, avoiding the FBI agent associated with the case, was not.

Excerpt:

He tossed the menu aside and turned to face her. "I know how this sounds, but do I know you?"
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
She shifted and swallowed her mouthful of food. "No, I don't think so."
<O:P></O:P>
"Are you sure? I never forget a face." <O:P></O:P>
"Now that sounds like a line."
Nick put out his hand, "Nick Murdock."
She wiped her hand on her napkin and reached for his. "Kari."
Small, soft and confident. Again, not the combination he was expecting. She couldn't be more than one hundred and twenty pounds but she shook hands like a Politian. She let go all too quickly, but not before he felt her pulse quicken. "Just Kari?"
"A girl can never be too careful, even to seemingly innocent men wearing FBI jackets in a Podunk diner. You must be here because of that missing girl."
Small, confident and smart. Nick was impressed. "Found girl."
"Oh, I didn't hear she'd been found. She's alright I hope."
"Safe with her parents as we speak."
Kari nodded and finished the last of her pancakes, which meant she'd be leaving soon. He hadn't placed her yet and didn't want her to leave. "So, you must be here on vacation."
"Maybe I live here."
Nick shook his head. "You called this a Podunk diner, your shoes are meant for walking on rodeo drive and not the trails of the forest, and you smell like expensive perfume. Not bug spray. No, Kari, I don't think you live here." Odd though, she wasn't wearing a ring and didn't have any trailing boyfriend or children at her side. Vacationing alone in the Sequoia's struck him as odd.
"This is a nice place to visit," she said reaching inside her purse. After removing a ten and placing it by her plate she stood up. "It was nice talking to you, Mr. Murdock. I'm glad the girl came back to you safe and sound."
"Leaving already?"
Her smile was lethal, her laugh seductive. "I need to get back to Rodeo; Gucci is calling out to me."
His chest rumbled.
His eyes followed the gentle sway of her hips as she walked away. Damn she was something to watch. <O:P></O:P>
Once she was out of sight, he turned in his seat and pulled his coffee to his lips. His eyes landed on the car keys sitting next to Kari's empty plate.
He smiled, covered them with his hand, and headed toward the door.
Outside he watched her fumbling through her purse standing in front of a four wheel drive rental car. Her blond hair hung in her face; she tossed it back in frustration and mumbled a curse.
"Looking for these?"
Her head shot up, eyes narrowed.
"You left them on the counter," he found himself explaining.
She took a step in his direction and reached out to take them from his fingers. Nick playfully pulled them out of her reach. She cocked her head to the side and dropped her hand.
"Have dinner with me," he said before she could say anything.
"What?" She looked at him like he was crazy.
"You know, dinner. Kind of like breakfast only later and with wine."
"Are you always so forward, Mr. Murdock?"
"Nick."
"Are you always so forward, Nick?"
"I believe in being direct."
She took another step in his direction and smoothed her hair back. Her lips shot out and moistened her lips. The action had heat shooting to his groin. "I'm glad to hear that, Nick. I believe in being direct, too." She stepped closer and brought her hand between them. She had to tilt her head back to look into his eyes. Low lashes fluttered in a way which proved she knew her affect on him.
A small shock registered when she trailed a finger down his arm. "I think you are very attractive."
"That's a start."
"But..."
"But," she sighed and walked her fingers down his arm. "I don't like being held hostage for a date." With that she grasped her keys from his hand and turned to walk away. <O:P></O:P>

Dani
August 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Great excerpt Catherine! Bouncy Icon Smilie

Catherine Bybee
August 25th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Great excerpt Catherine! Bouncy Icon Smilie

Thanks, Dani. I'm enjoying all things wolf these days.

Dani
August 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM
That's a great thing for all of us then. :biggrin:

hollie
August 26th, 2008, 06:57 AM
oh he's nice and there's a wolf does he tame her??

Catherine Bybee
August 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
oh he's nice and there's a wolf does he tame her??

smilies/079.gif You could say... They tame each other.. hehe

Kimberly
August 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Great excerpt! I am loving me everything "were" these days!

Catherine Bybee
August 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Great excerpt! I am loving me everything "were" these days!

Things that growl can be fun. lol

Dani
August 26th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Yes they can be Catherine! LOL!

Catherine Bybee
August 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yes they can be Catherine! LOL!

And bite... we must not forget that!

tee hee

CharmedGirl
August 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Awesome excerpt Catherine.

Catherine Bybee
August 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Awesome excerpt Catherine.

Thanks, Bec.
My husband is starting to worry about me. "You're writing about what?" lol

Dani
August 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Just tell him that you're writing about him with a "kick" or an added bonus. LOL!

Catherine Bybee
August 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Just tell him that you're writing about him with a "kick" or an added bonus. LOL!

I'm afraid he might ask... "Do you think I'm that hairy?"

CharmedGirl
August 27th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Werewolves always make for a great story.

Dani
August 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm afraid he might ask... "Do you think I'm that hairy?"

Is he already hairy? My dad's a total beast when it comes to that. He could really be a werewolf! Laugh it Up fuzball

You could always tell him that the only time he'd be super hairy is when he shifted, but not as bad when human. LOL!

Catherine Bybee
August 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Is he already hairy? My dad's a total beast when it comes to that. He could really be a werewolf! Laugh it Up fuzball

You could always tell him that the only time he'd be super hairy is when he shifted, but not as bad when human. LOL!

No he really isn't that hairy, he just thinks he is. And lately its like when a woman asks a man... "does my butt look big in this?" There is no right answer... The big 50 was this year and he's feeling it.

Dani
August 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Oh, I see. It's sort of like a male complex thing of "does she still think I'm sexy?"

My dad turned 60 this past January and I've never seen him get worried about any birthday or getting older. I think he thinks as long as he has his health and my mom still thinks he's sexy, then there's nothing to worry about.

Catherine Bybee
August 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, I see. It's sort of like a male complex thing of "does she still think I'm sexy?"

My dad turned 60 this past January and I've never seen him get worried about any birthday or getting older. I think he thinks as long as he has his health and my mom still thinks he's sexy, then there's nothing to worry about.

Let me know what he's taking so I can slip it to my man... He is sexy, but thinking he isn't because of the number... thought he'll never admit it.

Catherine Bybee
August 28th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Werewolves always make for a great story.

I think so too.

Dani
August 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Let me know what he's taking so I can slip it to my man... He is sexy, but thinking he isn't because of the number... thought he'll never admit it.
I can honestly tell you that the man takes nothing. He doesn't even see a doctor unless my mom makes him go. He's just a good old fasioned guy that has a garden and eats what he grows. He's never really worried about anything as far as looks and things like that. He figures if you like him, you like him and if you don't, well then you don't.

Catherine Bybee
August 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I can honestly tell you that the man takes nothing. He doesn't even see a doctor unless my mom makes him go. He's just a good old fasioned guy that has a garden and eats what he grows. He's never really worried about anything as far as looks and things like that. He figures if you like him, you like him and if you don't, well then you don't.

The world would be a better place if more men felt this way.