PDA

View Full Version : The Sea's Embrace - Angela Steed

AngelaSteed
September 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm a year old here at CTR now. :swinging:
So I'm going to celebrate by telling a little about my upcoming release, The Sea's Embrace.
I'm breaking away from contemporary romance for awhile and diving into the fantasy/sci-fi/time travel/fun/greek mythology/adventurous/exhausting/scary/exciting paranormal romance realm with the release of The Sea's Embrace. It'll be available in October as an e-book through my publisher, Black Lyon Publishing, and everywhere else in print November 1st.
Here's the blurb:

Her heart would guide him home.
Architectural mastermind Katherine Shaw has left her career in the States behind to follow a passion for antiquity to The London Museum for Art and Archeology. During a museum excursion, a controversial relic is pulled from the ocean depths—a relic containing a mystery to which she is inexplicably joined.
His home might claim her life.
Born of the old gods, punished and locked away from love, Derrick has crossed seas of time to find Katherine. Chosen as the guardian of his land’s magic, he knows what Katherine doesn’t: her own mysterious origin and the danger she faces because of it. As they travel together in a place only heard of in legends, enemies and darkness surround them—until an unthinkable decision threatens the very magic that has brought them love.

I'll post an excerpt here soon.smilies/balsmilies.g

hollie
September 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM
it sounds great and it's my fave genre(s) Laugh it Up fuzball

AngelaSteed
September 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
It's not just a simple love story? :dunno:

The Sea's Embrace - Excerpt

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CKurama%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> “Try a sample?” A young, blond man with a striking physique offered her a cup of red wine. Wearing nothing but a brown kilt and a blue feathered belt, he grinned proudly. He definitely didn’t look like an ancient soul, but more a Celtic enthusiast with the face of an angel.
“Thank you,” she said, graciously accepting the large silver cup.
A vision of Oktoberfest invaded her mind as she walked further down the street, sipping on one of the best wines she’d ever tasted. People danced to the sounds of bagpipes near the seas port, dressed in the same Celtic clothing.
It wasn’t exactly the sounds of harps and angelic voices like she’d heard before, but it was without a doubt tuned for a party—and quite a party they were having.
The city of <st1><st1:city w:st="on">Atlantis</st1:city></st1> wasn’t exactly the vision she’d concocted from her studies of lore. Sure it was a city of gold with an obvious link to legend. And indeed it was probably in the spot on the map most believers swore it to be—the image of the shark she’d seen from the pyramid was proof enough.
As she walked onto the wooden sea port, she gazed at the sails towering over her. No other words could describe it, but amazing and breathtaking. And the words [I]out of the ordinary came when she saw a dozen or more orbs zipping around rope and net as if playing a game of tag.
She shivered slightly as a cool breeze propelled her hair and danced on her skin, just as she turned and spotted his dark figure sitting on a crate at the edge of the pier. She couldn’t see him though his back was turned, but by the fading red glow of the suspended orb over his shoulder, she knew exactly who it was.
With a relieving sigh, she made her way up behind him. She set the cup down on the crate and hesitantly touched his shoulder.
She leaned in close to his ear and spoke over the eerie creaking roll of the ships. “I’m sorry.”
He turned his attention to her. At first his eyes startled her, a tint of red from the orb showed in them. But when he smiled, it quickly diminished into the darkness of the pier.
“I’m the one who should apologize,” he said. “I accused you of acting like a child when it was I who ran away.”
“I pushed you into it.” She reminded him as she slid up onto the crate, and tucked her arm under his.
He was warm and she didn’t deny it felt wonderful on her bare skin. She pulled the cup over with her other hand and indulged in another sip.
“Is this drink the wine from the shop below the fish market?” he asked curiously.
Katherine nodded with a smile. “Would you like a sip?”
“Oh no,” he said with a chuckle. “I’ll not let his drink pass my lips again.”
She swallowed nervously. “Why not?”
“It’s very potent.” He eyed her peculiarly. “How much have you drank?”
“Only a few sips.”
“You’ll sleep well tonight then.”
“Lovely,” she said letting out a worried sigh as she set the cup back down again.
“Unless he’s changed the magic in the formula, which I doubt, it won’t hit you until you’ve retired to your bed for the night.”
She gave out a short laugh through her nose. “Now that’s something you don’t hear everyday.” She bumped up against him.
“Just beyond the horizon lies a reef. I’ll take you to meet the Siren. I haven’t seen her since I was a child. She’s a rather wicked maiden, frightening to look upon, but I am almost certain she’ll help us find your diamond.”
“A Siren?” she asked with an inquiring grin.
“Her name is Mila.” He hopped off the crate. “Will you believe me if I take you to see her?”
This place was just too fictitious to believe, but she wasn’t about to tell him this. Instead she nodded giving him an agreement, for it wasn’t worth arguing over any longer.
He held out his hand. “Let’s go back to the house.”
She slid her palm on his, and with a quick gentle pull, he helped her down from the crate. She landed in his arms at what seemed perfect timing as soft, beautiful music began to play.
“It’s lovely,” she whispered, sliding her arms around his neck and gazing upward into his eyes as the sound of harps touched her ears in melodic splendor. “I’ve never heard anything like this before.”
“The music is for you then,” he whispered his return, grazing her ear with his lips.
“Dance with me,” she said, not knowing if it was the drink, or an acceptance to surrender to him. No matter what it was, she knew only one thing—she was beginning to enjoy herself.
He led her with his gentle touch, switching hands as they walked around each other slowly—a dance of the eyes. They held their stare, gazing deeply, heated attraction radiating off their bodies.
“I’ve never danced with a woman before,” he confessed. “Not like this anyway.”
“Seriously now?” she said, surprised by his assertion. “I would have believed you to be a ladies man.”
“Not quite,” he replied as they drew close, clasping hands.
He leaned his forehead on hers, eyeing her intently. The proximity of his lips was perfect, too perfect and undeniably tempting. He pulled her hand upward, draping her arm around his neck and sliding his around her waist. They barely danced with their feet, but passion moved restlessly in their eyes.
“Kiss me,” she whispered, attempting to lure him with a brush of her lips against his.
She closed her eyes, expecting to be taken away in his arms, swept up and deeply embraced, but she felt him pull away. And the cool breeze off the sea caught her breath.
“What’s wrong?” she asked, placing her eyes on his unmistakable empty stare. “I guess I should have known better.”
She lifted the edge of her dress off her heels and quickly left the pier. Ignoring Derrick’s demand for her to wait, she made her way up the street, pushing through the crowd.
She should have known better than to let herself get close. A handsome guy like this was always in her sight, but never in her arms, which was just fine in this case since he was nothing more than a figment of her imagination.
He grabbed her arm just as she walked through the gate to the courtyard. “Katherine!” he insisted. “Let me explain.”
“What is there to explain?” she asked, trying not to show how agitated she really was, though she knew he could see right through her. “I made a fool out of myself thinking you were interested.”
He shook his head. “You are wrong to feel the fool.”
“Then tell me why,” she demanded, letting the bottom of her dress fall back around her ankles.
“I…” he stammered. “…want to kiss you more than anything, but...” He let go of her arm and straightened his stance. “How can I show you sincerity, when you don’t believe in me?” He arched his brow, completely captivated by his own speech. “And furthermore, if you don’t believe in me, then a kiss would mean nothing to you.”
She turned on her heel with quarrelling eyes. “But it’s just a simple kiss I asked for.”
With nose in the air, she made her way to the door, ignoring him as he followed her inside. She tried desperately to get away, but he caught her by the arm and swung her back around to face him.
“You are right,” he said as he pulled her hard against him. “It would be just a kiss, and nothing more.” He held tight to her arms as she struggled, but he was too strong.
“Unhand me,” she said, fighting to break loose from his grasp, but he wouldn’t let her go as he quickly leaned down and forcefully pressed his lips to hers.
At first she struggled, fighting him with tightened lips, refusing to let him win. But the weakening of her strength tied with the relentless push of his tongue, softening her lips, her body, and her will.
He loosened the grip on her arms and massaged them sensually. His touch was warm against her rising skin, squeezing gently as he guided her toward the bed.
A kiss and nothing more, she thought as she pulled his shirt over his head knowing she was about to make love to this perfect being, this fictitious man that held her complete attention, and could possibly hold the key to her heart.
She lay back on the bed, watching him climb in overtop of her. The anticipation was strong, but oddly began to diminish as soon as her head hit the pillow. Her eyes suddenly drooped and a drowsy sensation spoiled the arousal, the hunger for his touch.
The last thing she saw before she fell into a deep sleep was Derrick hovering over her with a disappointed look on his face. And the last words he muttered lingered softly in her ears, “Damn that fool’s magical drink.”

Dani
September 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Excellent excerpt!!! I can't wait to read it all!! Bouncy Icon Smilie

AngelaSteed
September 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dani and Hollie. :) I'll be having a contest soon through my website (they won't let me have it here). I'm giving away a basket full of fun goodies, including an interesting gold chain bracelet with charms representing the book. I'll have it up on my website sometime in October and will post the info here too.

Dani
September 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Yay to the contest, but it stinks that you can't have it here. There has to be a reason though because Karenne doesn't do anything without one. :)

AngelaSteed
October 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I love that picture Dani. bhowdysmilie.gif

CTR is a busy place. I love it here!

CharmedGirl
October 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Great excerpt Angela.

I love romance novels!

Dani
October 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
I love that picture Dani. bhowdysmilie.gif

CTR is a busy place. I love it here!

Thank you, I do too! :huepfen017: Hollie's daughter made it for me, so I gave her credit for it under the picture. :biggrin:

We're always busy Angela! LOL!

AngelaSteed
October 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know The Sea's Embrace is available now at the usual online hot spots. :)

Dani
October 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
WooHoo!!! :huepfen017: Congrats!

romancereader
November 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
The book sounds interesting I'll have to check it out.