PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to divide rhubarb?

Karenne
September 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Rebecca says: I love rhubarb, not only to eat but as a decorative foliage accent in my garden. My "mother" plant has been divided many times, allowing me to embellish my gardens with drifts of this lovely plant. Rhubarb should be divided as early in the spring as possible. Divide it as you would any other plant: Dig up the root ball and slice it into chunks, making sure each division has at least one bud and a significant piece of root. Replant right away or store divisions in the refrigerator and rehydrate (soak in bucket of water for two hours) before planting. Water well after planting.

joviangeldeb
September 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure about growing rhubarb but I saw this thread and had to share. I love it. :eat: I have an old recipe from my late grandmother for Rhubarb crunch and I make it from time to time. she was from up state Minnesota.
Me being from gulf coast Mississippi, most people here have never tasted it and they're kind of afraid to try my crunch. But once they do, they love it. My work will request it from time to time. So I'm slowly introducing it here. I'll find it every once in a while at walmart, and whenever I do, I gotta make it.

wroxtar
September 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Wow that was really a great share about growing rhubarb. I have noted this down and will see how it goes. As far as the recipe is concerned, I do it this way:

It's called RHUBARB CRUMBLE :)

2 c. rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/3 c. melted butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

>Put rhubarb in 10 inch pie pan.
>With a fork or pastry blender, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and egg until crumbly.
>Pour into baking dish.
>Drizzle butter over top.
>Sprinkle with cinnamon.
>Bake in 350 degree oven 35 minutes.

Serves 8.