PDA

View Full Version : Great Reader

maura
September 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I love mine. I have the first version the 500. I would only change two things: first I would like it to be backlit, and second, I wish it would actually read .pdf. It claims to but the type is much too small for the average person to read, so I have to do the old "convert to text" that I use for my ebookwise 1150.

The battery lasts a long time and it holds tons of books without adding memory!!!!

Maura

hollie
September 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I have the 505 and they read PDf fine I love how portable and simple to use it is and Maura is right it holds loads of books

Karenne
September 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
... and second, I wish it would actually read .pdf. It claims to but the type is much too small for the average person to read, so I have to do the old "convert to text" that I use for my ebookwise 1150.
Maura

Hey Maura

I thought it had an increase of size feature on it for the .pdf? is that a newer feature and your doesn't have it? Or am I misreading the features?

maura
September 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
It does list that in the features, but reality is very different. Instead of three sizes, the pdf only has two. Even the largest of these is a challenge to read and that is after the Sony update to fix that feature. Mind you this is the 500 not the 505. Hollie has the newer model and says the PDF is readable here. I generally use the "convert to text" feature and download it from there.

Maura

Hey Maura

I thought it had an increase of size feature on it for the .pdf? is that a newer feature and your doesn't have it? Or am I misreading the features?

maura
September 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Also, I got mine on Ebay for more than $100 less than retail, WITH an additional leather cover. Check it out. It turns out some college kid got two for Christmas and needed extra money. Good for both of us!!!!!!

maura
September 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Also worth mentioning is that html is easily converted to Word.

hollie
September 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
It does list that in the features, but reality is very different. Instead of three sizes, the pdf only has two. Even the largest of these is a challenge to read and that is after the Sony update to fix that feature. Mind you this is the 500 not the 505. Hollie has the newer model and says the PDF is readable here. I generally use the "convert to text" feature and download it from there.

Maura

the 505 has 3 sizes and you can turn the text 90 degrees and read it sideways which makes it bigger again and very easy to read

Also worth mentioning is that html is easily converted to Word.

I didn't know that thanks Maura

CharmedGirl
October 6th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I've decided I'm going to have to order and ebook reader online. I went to a shop in Brisbane that is now selling them and they wanted me to pay $899 for it.

hollie
October 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I got mine through ebay from a guy in Arizona it came new the box was still sealed

CharmedGirl
October 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I got mine through ebay from a guy in Arizona it came new the box was still sealed

Yeah I've been looking on ebay and there is this one from a guy in Victoria, Australia. I'm going to place a bid because it's a brand new ebook reader that has only been used 3 or 4 times and he's going to include 5 free ebooks with it.

maura
October 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Go for it, but the books are probably from the Gutenberg Project. They have lots of books that are out of copywrite and are free. Manybooks.net is an easier way to access them.