PDA

View Full Version : To Kindle or Not to Kindle?

Karenne
September 21st, 2008, 01:05 AM
I like the look of the Kindle and I like the idea behind it, but I have a problem with the thought of only being able to buy my stuff at one place.

I like going to publishers' sites and independant book stores (not just mine) but I like the spirit behind people who do them.

Is it just me?

Diana Castilleja
September 21st, 2008, 01:38 PM
That's my issue with the Kindle too. One place to shop. I'm still more interested in the Sony ER or the Ebookwise. The draw back is the memory cards to the bookwise aren't in production anymore. The drawback to the Sony is the backlight. Although the newer model (I think) has one.

Either way, they're all out of my price range right now. *shrug* But I'd love to have one. http://mail.google.com/mail/im/emoticons/round/grin.png

hollie
September 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
That's my issue with the Kindle too. One place to shop. I'm still more interested in the Sony ER or the Ebookwise. The draw back is the memory cards to the bookwise aren't in production anymore. The drawback to the Sony is the backlight. Although the newer model (I think) has one.

Either way, they're all out of my price range right now. *shrug* But I'd love to have one. http://mail.google.com/mail/im/emoticons/round/grin.png

I have the Sony PRS 505 which is the newer one it doesn't have a backlight which was one of the things I thought of before I got mine. But I have found it doesn't bother me if I read a paper back i need a book light or a lamp on it's no different

Diana Castilleja
September 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have the Sony PRS 505 which is the newer one it doesn't have a backlight which was one of the things I thought of before I got mine. But I have found it doesn't bother me if I read a paper back i need a book light or a lamp on it's no different

There's not a reflective problem with using an overhead lamp? It's bad on the PDA. If I read it sans backlight, I need all around light, like sunlight to keep the glare down.

hollie
September 21st, 2008, 06:10 PM
no i have an uplifter lamp that i read with and have never had a problem, it really is like reading a book if you have enough light to see you can read it

Diana Castilleja
September 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
no i have an uplifter lamp that i read with and have never had a problem, it really is like reading a book if you have enough light to see you can read it

Sweeet! I've been seriously eyeing it now that Target carries them. And I have one memory card that I bought for my camera. It hardly gets used. LOL

The man cringed when I told him the cost (equal to his Wii) but he said "I'd never buy one". My answer. "I never would have bought a Wii for myself." Touche'. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/../images/laughitupsmilie.gif

hollie
September 22nd, 2008, 03:35 AM
I got the e-reader first Laugh it Up fuzball but we've just bought a Wii for the kids for Christmas

Jennifer Shirk
September 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I'm torn about the Kindle too. I still in the process of decing what e-reader to get.

Can't you buy books for Kindle through Fictionwise too?

Diana Castilleja
September 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Some publishers have Kindle formatted books in their catalogue, but FW doesn't cater to the Kindle. They're a Sony store, with Mobi and a few others, like Rocket (prc?).

hollie
September 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
thats what i like about the sony most places use PDF and it can read those files fine although i belive there are problems with the older 500

Diana Castilleja
September 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
thats what i like about the sony most places use PDF and it can read those files fine although i belive there are problems with the older 500

I've heard the 500's have had formatting problems with PDF. The newest is the 505, in the stores. *pets monitor picture*

I do like that because of the format (.pdf, .epub, .rtf, etc) I have more mobility for purchasing.

I'm sure the Kindle also has a certain appeal for shopping online on the go with the wireless. That also has a down side for me. Encrypted or not, your information is then wireless also. I'm not sure what kind of safeguards they have as protections (haven't researched it) but with systems getting hacked into all the time, it makes me leary. http://mail.google.com/mail/im/emoticons/round/frown.png

hollie
September 22nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I hadn't thought of that but you are right i don't think i'd be happy with my info being wireless.

daldefam
September 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Okay ladies,
I have been purchasing books for my Kindle for a while and Anya has seen me with it a million times so she can testify to how much I read it. I have seen some of you questioning where you can buy books for the Kindle so I though I would provide some and then if you want more information on how to purchase from these stores I will be happy to help:
www.fictionwise.com (http://www.fictionwise.com) (yes there is a way. I have purchased about 100+ books from them)
www.allromanceebooks.com (http://www.allromanceebooks.com)
www.ellorascave.com (http://www.ellorascave.com)
http://www.total-e-bound.com
www.mybookstoreandmore.com (http://www.mybookstoreandmore.com)

Those are the few I have tried recently if I think of some more I will let you know. Most stores don't advertise that they provide for the Kindle but the files will work. The key for places like fictionwise is to by the multiformat books that say mobi files or Kindle. But the other places as long as you purchased the mobipocket files they will work. The only books I have to purchase from Amazon or the mainstream authors such as Diana Palmer, Christine Feehan, etc.

I currently own both the Kindle and the Sony PR-505 and I don't use the Sony that often because sometimes I like to read without my glasses while I am laying down, with the Kindle it has 6 font sizes while the Sony has 2. I also can hold the Kindle in one hand and turn the page with the Sony you have to push a very small button and usually it doesn't work one handed. I love the fact that the Kindle detaches from the case so I can hold it comfortable in the palm of my hand. I don't like that case particurly because it is poorly designed but I have put in feedback and hope that Amazon will take it into consideration in the design process.

Anyway, maybe that is to much information but I wouldn't to make sure that you had the benefit of input from a true Kindle lover who has both the Sony and the Kindle.
Delane

maura
September 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
There's not a reflective problem with using an overhead lamp? It's bad on the PDA. If I read it sans backlight, I need all around light, like sunlight to keep the glare down.

Neither one has a problem with light reflecting back, the Sony has a matte finish on the glass that prevents it.

hollie
September 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
The Sony has 3 font sizes (after software upgrade which is free) small mediun and large and it has two ways of turning the pages small buttons at the side of the screen and a larger round button at the bottom left of the screen so i'm not sure where your difficultly with it is i've not had any problems

daldefam
September 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Hollie,
Yes I do know that with the upgrade and that there are three font sizes and it is a matter of preference if that is enough. I like having more options so the Kindle works better for me. I also am aware of the buttons on the Sony and if I am holding it in my left hand (I have long nails by the way, could be the difference between me and someone else) it is rather difficult to turn the pages. So once again in this manner it is a personal preference. I was just offering my opinion of why I prefer the Kindle over the Sony but in no way am I knocking Sony as everyone is different.
Delane

maura
September 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
I am actually in the process of getting a mini laptop. I looked at the Kindle again(I like my toys) but again, it is expensive and my Sony or Ebookwise work fine for me. For the record and I have the old 500 (yeah old 2 yrs-lol), and it has 3 font sizes, not two, except for PDF(which still sucks). The button on the side can be a little inconvenient, but the one on the bottom is easily operated with one hand. For me the major selling point is Sony's customer service. I broke mine shortly after I got it. They warned me about a $90 charge for repairs but when I got mine back, I hadn't been charged and I still haven't. They kept me informed every step of the way, I don't like sending my stuff away and that made me feel much better. The Kindle looks like fun, but I decided to get something that I can read, surf, AND write on. I will let you know how it works out.

There is a device out there that is perfect for everyone, I am still looking but it looks like Hollie and Delane have found theirs.

Maura

hollie
September 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
sorry sorry i didn't mean to affend you i just didn't get what you ment we all have preferences and are intitled to them I am sorry if i upset you it was not my intention

daldefam
September 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Hollie,
No offense taken. I recognize the uses of both and that is why I have them both. LOL It drives my husband crazy but well ...... who cares. LOL The one thing they are both lacking is a backlight. Did someone fall asleep when these were invented? LOL

hollie
September 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
One of the reasons i didn't seriously look at the kindle was there was no plans to release it in the UK where as sony where planing on releasing the 505 i was just impatient and imported one instead of waiting for September although i'm sure if they do bring the kindle over here i'll think of a reason to get one (suggstions are welcome) The Smurf doesn't take much nagging Laugh it Up fuzball

Diana Castilleja
September 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
That's some great info! I didn't know you could shop the other sites for the kindle. I didn't think the Mobi format would work. I guess that's one of those "We aren't advertising but..." secrets. http://mail.google.com/mail/im/emoticons/round/wink.png

I haven't had a chance to look at either up close, but the temptation of the sony being right up the road... *feels the pull* http://mail.google.com/mail/im/emoticons/round/grin.png

maura
September 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Hollie,
No offense taken. I recognize the uses of both and that is why I have them both. LOL It drives my husband crazy but well ...... who cares. LOL The one thing they are both lacking is a backlight. Did someone fall asleep when these were invented? LOL

It drives me crazy as well, but I noticed that the devices with the backlight have to be recharged much more often than those without, so I guess there is good with the bad. I got a little booklight and just clip it on, it works.

Maura

hollie
September 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have one as well but i usually just leave a lamp on same as i dowith a book but then again The Smurf will sleep through just about anything

Shelley Munro
September 25th, 2008, 06:20 AM
LOL - I wish I could Kindle. Somehow I don't think the wireless would work down here in NZ. Like everyone else I'd prefer more options though.

Shelley