PDA

View Full Version : Alysha Ellis

Eternal Press
September 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Please welcome Eternal Press author, Alysha Ellis.

EP: When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, I’m going to write a novel?

Alysha: I'd read a lot of Erotic Romance and about three years ago, I decided I really wanted to write one myself. I also decided I wanted to have some fun with it. In Ghostly Menage, I created my super fantasy, and then looked for places to add humour to lighten the tension.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

EP: What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back-story?

Alysha: I hate getting bogged down in back story. I want my readers to get involved with what's happening in the story right now. The past is another country and in novellas I don't have time to visit it.
<o:p></o:p>

EP: Have you ever found that you didn’t like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

Alysha: I hate it when the heroine turns out to be me! So I go back and make her feistier, smarter and much more confident. And prettier and younger...and then I pretend that I am just like her! I get to create Heroes who are everything real life men never are. I love fiction.

EP: If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing you do?

Alysha: Burn my computer? No, the first thing I would do is find a really honest, knowledgeable critique partner. The second thing I would do is lock away all the alcohol. Writing can drive anyone to drink.

EP: Do you have the support of friends and family? Meaning, do they understand when you are writing that you cannot be disturbed? Or do you have friends that think since you’re home, you don’t work?

Alysha: I DO work, at another job as well as at writing. I have to fight for my writing time. My family and friends understand that when I am writing I don't want to be disturbed, but understanding it, and actually doing it are very different things.

EP: What was the biggest hurdle you had to overcome in your career?

Alysha: I have had two publishers close now, and the first time that happened it rocked my confidence a lot. Since then I have begun to realize the closures were just another hurdle to be overcome. Even though the publishers closed, I have made some wonderful friends, learnt so much, and I am richer for the experience. (That would be metaphorically richer, not literally. lol) I also learned to move on and find other, even better publishers, and here I am with Eternal.

EP: What genre do you write? Do you write more than one, if so, what?
Alysha: I write paranormal erotic comedy, which I suppose is a bit cross-genre.

EP: How do you research for your books?
Alysha: I use the internet a lot, including Google Earth when I want to be sure my characters are where they should be. I also have friends who send me very useful pictures I can look at when I am describing my heroes' - ahem - -masculine attributes. I'd love to say I go out and do practical research for the erotic bits, so that's what I will say. Hey, I write fiction. Lying is part of the job description.

EP: How do you develop your characters?

Alysha: I have to write about them for a while until I feel I know them. Then I go back and redraft making sure the dialogue reflects the kind of person they are. In Ghostly Menage, I just decided to write three men who between them would provide me with exactly what I'd like...if only they were real. Sigh.

EP: Are any of your characters a person you’d like to be? If so which one?

Alysha: All of my characters have some qualities I wish I had. I have to like my characters, or I don't think I could write them. I even love writing the mean ones because they can say all the nasty things I'm too polite to say to people's faces.

EP: Who inspired you to write?
Alysha: Holly Cook, a friend and author of The Sea Wife. She also kept me supplied with Georgette Heyer books.

EP: What is the most humorous writing experience you’ve ever had?

Alysha: Some writing friends and I went to SEXPO (strictly for research purposes, you understand). One of my friends brought a purple whip, but lost it after we left the exhibition. We were having lunch at a perfectly respectable cafe nearby when a sweet little old lady came up, puffing and panting, brandishing the whip, and said, "Dear, you dropped this in the street." Then she pursed her lips up and said. "But I don't think there are any riding schools around here. " We almost choked to death trying not to laugh.

EP: If a new writer came to you for advice what would you tell them?

Alysha: Don't submit too soon. Put your work away for a while so you can take a fresh look at it when you've forgotten what you meant to write and are left with what you did write.

EP: Do you have a book coming out? If so what? Do you have a web site? Do you have a blog? My space? Video book trailer?

Alysha: Ghostly Menage is coming out in August. It is the story of a woman who discovers three very hot men who beg to be allowed to fulfill her every desire. The only problem is they are ghosts, and they need Kelsie's help to escape an exorcism.
My web site is www.Alysha: ellis.com myspace.com/Alysha: _ellis

EP: Is there anything you would like to add?
Thank you for letting me talk to you. You've made me reflect on a few things. You've also made me think that purple whip has got to appear in a story soon. Pardon me while I just sneak off and do some writing.

Alysha, Thanks for hanging out with us today.
GHOSTLY MENAGE by Alysha Ellis
http://www.eternalpress.ca/ghostlymenage.html (http://www.eternalpress.ca/ghostlymenage.html)
Erotic Ghost/Paranormal, 12,500 words<o:p></o:p>
Heat rating: 5 flames<o:p></o:p>
$2.95 CA <o:p></o:p>
eBook ISBN:978-1-897559-28-4<o:p></o:p>
Summary
Discover the delights of hard spirits.
Kelsie doesn’t believe in ghosts. So why is she camped out at her elderly aunt Maud’s house to take part in an exorcism?
Maud hasn’t let a man in the house for forty years, which leaves Kelsie at a loss to explain the smell of hot male and the most erotic dreams of her life that overtake her the instant she arrives.
After one particularly tasty midnight encounter, Kelsie awakes to a vision that is not hard to swallow at all: three gorgeous, naked and very eager hunks standing at the end of her bed.
The good news is, they want to fulfill her every erotic fantasy. The weird news is they’re ghosts!
Now it’s up to Kelsie to thwart the exorcist and secure a lifetime’s supply of hard spirits.
Excerpt
The three men certainly were tapped in to her fantasies. Adam lounged against the wall, all black leather and bad boy attitude. Benedict’s long lean legs were covered in faded denim, complete with scuffed cowboy boots and a faded stress patch to draw attention to his magnificent package. Chad’s blond good looks morphed into divine beauty when set against the severity of the formal black and white of his tuxedo.
Kelsie looked and evaluated. “You know, I’ve got to say, I never realized just how much my fantasies had embraced the whole romantic cliché. Still, I suppose it’s because those images are so attractive that they become clichés in the first place. I think the only thing I’m missing here is the kilt clad Highland warrior.”
Adam’s leathers began to go blurry and look a little wooly. “I can change.”
Review
“To say I was blown a way by such a sexy short novel would be to say that it’s raining when there is a tsunami going on outside! I loved this book! It excited me from start to finish, and even though it was a short novel, I do not feel as though I missed anything. Ghostly Ménage had everything a wonderful short is supposed to have: a wonderfully smooth dialogue and an evenly paced plot line."
"5 Angels”
Fallen Angels Reviews.