PDA

View Full Version : Sloane Taylor

Eternal Press
September 25th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Thank you, Sloane Taylor, for agreeing to an interview.

Sloane: Iím very happy to be here.

EP: When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, Iím going to write a novel?

Sloane: Actually, I never did. One day these silent movies began to play in my head until I either had to write them down to clear my mind or lose it. lol

EP: What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back story?

Sloane: Many times both! Dialogue has to be meaningful. Book dialogue isnít really the way people speak. When Iím writing I let it flow then I have to really clear it up. My critique partners love that. Back story is easy to write. Itís dropping it in where it counts thatís difficult. Itís important to me not to write like an info dump.

EP: Have you ever found that you didnít like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

Sloane: No, Iíve never had that problem. The first thing I do when I start a new book is intense characterizations for the hero and heroine. By the time Iíve finished creating their world theyíve become my children and best friends. I have to love them. Now those secondary characters Ė thatís a whole other matter!

EP: If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing youíd do?

Sloane: Go sell brushes door to door. lol. Seriously, Iíd set a stringent time schedule and stick to it. Procrastinator is my middle name.

EP: Do you have the support of friends and family?
Meaning, do they understand when you are writing that you cannot be disturbed? Or do you have friends that think since youíre home, you donít work?

Sloane: Studs, my non-husband and life partner, understands and doesnít complain. In fact he encourages me daily. Hard not to appreciate the big bear. My daughter is always willing to help, but she does tease me about ďworkingĒ. Friends are something else. They believe since I work at home they can call whenever they like and chat like weíre sitting over dinner. Iíve had to screen my calls which donít make them too happy.

EP: What was the biggest hurtle you had to overcome in your career?

Sloane: Life was beautiful until my first publisher declared bankruptcy. Four of my contracts were held hostage way too long with many dollars spent to regain them. One of my current publishers realized I had sunk into depression. She took her precious time to encourage me to move forward and ask for help if I felt myself slipping again. I donít think many other publishers would have bothered.

EP: What genre do you write? Do you write more than one, if so, what?

Sloane: Contemporary erotica is my forte. The stories all take place in Europe. Iíd like to try suspense or even a murder one day.

EP: How do you research for your books?

Sloane: Over the years Iíve been fortunate enough to have spent a great deal of time in Europe. I have journals, travel books and photos to dig through when I need certain facts. Sometimes Iíll take a quick jaunt through the internet when my grey cells fail me. lol

EP: How do you develop your characters?

Sloane: I plunk myself at my keyboard and type. The characterizations start when they were five years old and continue until the beginning of the book. It can take days to do the hero and heroine, but itís worth it to me. I know those people better than I know myself.

EP: Are any of your characters a person youíd like to be? If so which one?

Sloane: Definitely Claudette DíLaquois from FRENCH TWIST. Claudette is one tough chick who doesnít let people railroad her.

EP: Who inspired you to write?

Sloane: Two people stood over my shoulder while they shoved me forward, a dear friend Shirley Derrico and Sloane Beth Anderson. Without them Iíd never have made it.

EP: What is the most humorous writing experience youíve ever had?

Sloane: I received an email from a couple who told me they imitated one of the love scenes Iíd written. They named the page number and gave a brief description. They went on how it changed their relationship for the better. It seemed odd to me that anyone would email me personal info and was bowled over when I read their names. It was from Studsí son and daughter-in-law. Iíve never been able to look at those two kids the same since. lol

EP: If a new writer came to you for advice what would you tell them?

Sloane: Writing is a business. Itís neither a game nor a hobby. Treat it like a business or get out. You MUST have a two and five year plan if you want to succeed. If you canít manage to wrap your mind around that, donít waste your time. Sounds cold, but it is the truth.

EP: Do you have a book coming out? If so what? Do you have a web site? Do you have a blog? My space?

Sloane: In June, FRENCH TWIST, the third book in the Naughty Ladies of Nice series came out. Hereís the blurb to tease you:

Interpol agent Claudette DíLaquois is on the run. Dull Uncle Paul and his rundown chateau in Nice, France are her only safe haven. She never allowed for a delectable estate manager more threatening than the Russian mob boss who wants her dead.

Three weeks of overseeing the operations on his friendís orchard seems like the ideal vacation to CPA Don Hobbs. It was, until a sex goddess pulls him into a world of drugs and intrigue.

October 08 will see the next book, French Kiss released.

My website is www.sloanetaylor.com (http://www.sloanetaylor.com). I invite everyone to check it out; especially the complete menus posted each month. Some very fine cooks have shared their favorite recipes.

My other sites are www.sloanetaylor.com/blog (http://www.sloanetaylor.com/blog) and www.myspace.com/sloanetaylor (http://www.myspace.com/sloanetaylor)

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Good luck with your writing. Check Sloane out at: http://www.eternalpress.ca/taylornew.html

Sloane: Thank you for having me!