PDA

View Full Version : Lisa Logan

Eternal Press
September 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you, Lisa Logan, for agreeing to an interview.

EP: When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, I’m going to write a novel?

Lisa: I didn't think I ever would! After a few years of short stories, however, my concepts and characters simply outgrew the format. An idea that both excited and terrified me.

EP: What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back story?

Lisa: I ADORE writing dialogue—all that juicy conflict! And I like exchanges where characters don't actually answer each other's questions. The truth is, I don't have a specific groan factor. Each story's bugaboos are different.

EP: Have you ever found that you didn’t like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

Lisa: You're supposed to like your protags? ::grin::
Seriously, several have given me gray hair—some by design, others by evolution. My main characters are often ironic, sometimes whiny, occasionally victimized, and always stubborn. (NO idea where they get it.) In short, all my heroes are flawed, which gets under my skin as many of their shortcomings hit home. An utter annoyance!
Do I change this? Nope! I love 'em as they are, and their issues tend to iron out as they grow through the course of a book...though they're still no saints when the writing's done. Wouldn't be fun any other way!

EP: If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing you do?

Lisa: I've done entire sleepless nights on that question, and can never pinpoint That One Thing that would make a difference without the Butterfly Effect throwing a wrench in the works. I'm the sum total of every decision I've ever made, and perhaps the first thing I'd do would be to understand that.

EP: Do you have the support of friends and family? Meaning, do they understand when you are writing that you cannot be disturbed? Or do you have friends that think since you’re home, you don’t work?

Lisa: They're not supposed to disturb me? You're funny. :)
When I first got bit by the fiction bug, my family tolerated me. As the time investment grew, patience shrunk, and it took a few years to realize this wasn't a wacky phase they could wait out. It's better now, but I still get The Look sometimes. It's not easy trying to grind out a romantic or suspenseful scene when your spouse wants an opinion on his latest project and the four-year-old wants her dolly's dress put on. But I love my family and I love to write, so both coexist simultaneously. Our place is too small for an office with a Do Not Disturb sign...and my baby will never be four again.

Friends are funny...they're enamored with having a "real" author friend, but have this wacky notion that since I'm published, I should be independently rich. Trying to explain otherwise leads to quizzical eyes and dazed expressions. Then I just shrug and go cook up a package of Top Ramen.

EP: What was the biggest hurtle you had to overcome in your career?

Lisa: I'm still trying to jump that hurtle, and it's called Never. When I wrote nonfiction, I thought I could NEVER write fiction. When I wrote short fiction, I just knew I could NEVER write full-length. Then it would NEVER get published...and once it did, I feared it a fluke and I'd NEVER get another one accepted. Now I fear I'll NEVER sell well enough to keep going...I keep looking backstage over my shoulder for The Hook to shoot out and end my show. If I ever write a Memoir, it may well be called Jumping Never Land.

EP: What genre do you write? Do you write more than one, if so, what?

Lisa: I used to say I wrote everything! The more I write, however, the more I realize I write romance...in varying heat levels and subgenres and with rare exception. Murder Mystery, Contemporary Intrigue, Psychic Phenomena, Vampires and Witches...you name it, I weave in either outright category romance or romantic subplot. Meeting a character when they're in that whirlwind emotion of a courtship is a fun prospect for me as a writer, as well as getting to take a typical romance arc and place something extraordinary within and around it.

EP: How do you research for your books?

Lisa: Some is hands-on; for VISIONS I drove to physical locations where certain scenes took place and actually wrote scenes or notes there. Other info I glean through interviews and the library. Then of course there's my good friend, Google.

EP: How do you develop your characters?

Lisa: It occurs naturally over the course of a story. I know a few basics, and they fill in the rest—often with surprising results. They write better stuff than I come up with on my own, too. In fact, sometimes I feel like I'm not the writer—I'm just taking dictation!

It was during a writing "break" that I began to understand this self-story concept about my work. I was messing around with The Sims computer game and turned some Sims loose just to watch what they did. My writer mind started wondering why they did what they did...and soon I had a serial soap of two dozen episodes and twenty different character/plot arcs—one of which became the basis for IMMORAL MAGIC, a novel I have under consideration.

EP: Are any of your characters a person you’d like to be? If so which one?

Lisa: As much as I torture my characters, I'd hate to be in any of their shoes. In terms of qualities, while I have no desire to change sexes I'm rather fond of Trenton Dane, the movie star-turned-real-life-hero in VISIONS. Handsome, rich, down to Earth, cool car, better hair, and BAM! he gets psychic powers. Trenton's the man.

EP: Who inspired you to write?

Lisa: Every writer whose tales have kept me company, to be sure. But I have to nod:
*Julie Andrews, (yes, THAT Julie Andrews)...her YA Mandy was a childhood fave so consuming that I named a daughter after the title
*Stephen King's inspirational book On Writing
*Dean Koontz in general. His work is prolific and amazing and he's just such a downright cool individual.

EP: What is the most humorous writing experience you’ve ever had?

Lisa: Heh. Well, that moment comes to us courtesy of Barnes and Noble. My first novel, VISIONS, is a romance. I was poking around to investigate why a seller back east was having trouble ordering my title. I looked the book up on B&N, and found my title and cover listed as such: VISIONS...authored and illustrated by Theodore Guisel Suess.

Yes, folks, they claimed that my ROMANCE novel had been written by Dr. Seuss.

I don't know about you, but I'm not certain I'd want to read an illustrated romance by the author of Green Eggs&Ham, especially fifteen years after his death. I'm just sorry that they didn't mix up our names when disbursing Seuss' royalty checks!

EP: If a new writer came to you for advice what would you tell them?

Lisa: If you're serious about writing, just write. If you're serious about getting published, immediately begin growing a tough layer of epidermal tissue...and be willing to hear NO more times a day than a 3 year old in a candy store!

EP: Do you have a book coming out? If so what? Do you have a web site? Do you have a blog? My space?

Lisa: A Grand Seduction just released in April 08. I've got three others under consideration and several others in progress. Readers can see excerpts and more on my sites:
Main site: lisalogan.net
MySpace: myspace.com/authorlisalogan
Or I'm on Twitter: twitter.com/authorlisalogan
And yeah, I've got my Writing in My Wildest Dreams blog as well.
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Good luck with your writing.
I'm so excited to be here with Eternal Press. EBbooks are where it's at!

Here's Lisa on Eternal Press: http://www.eternalpress.ca/logannew.html