PDA

View Full Version : Ijasan Adelehin

Eternal Press
September 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Welcome Ijasan Adelehin! Thank you, for agreeing to an interview.

EP: When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, I'm going to write a novel?

Ijasan Adelehin: In the womb ... when I was about 28 weeks old, and my brain had just begun to form-kidding; serious writing began for me in 2001 when, without prior enlightenment, I sat down and wrote a sprawling 100,000 word novel that was utterly horrible, induced cringes and subsequently had to be burnt.

EP: What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back story?

Ijasan Adelehin: Dialogue. It's too easy to make a character say something that's out of place.

EP: Have you ever found that you didn't like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

Ijasan Adelehin: Nope, not really. I've never excessively liked a character I created either. I always remember the assemblage and every ingredient that was used to create him or her or it, and if I ever saw him or her or-you get the point-on the street showing off six packs or a pair of majestic wings or something, I'd just smirk and say, "I can take that away right about now with a stroke of my pen."

EP: If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing you do?

Ijasan Adelehin: Short stories! I'd start with short stories and use them to build my writing muscle before proceeding to longer works.

EP: Do you have the support of friends and family? Meaning, do they understand when you are writing that you cannot be disturbed? Or do you have friends that think since you're home, you don't work?

Ijasan Adelehin: Mixed feelings everywhere. Some people support, others are indifferent, and others out rightly believe you should do something 'constructive' with your time.

EP: What was the biggest hurdle you had to overcome in your career?

Ijasan Adelehin: Punctuation. William Strunk's Element of Style has really been helpful in that regard.

EP: What genre do you write? Do you write more than one, if so, what?

Ijasan Adelehin: I do fantasy mainly, but I also do literary works-most of my short stories are literary.

EP: How do you research for your books?
Ijasan Adelehin: The internet! Anything and everything can be found on the internet. It's a wonderful toy. I also visit the public library for more in-depth material.

EP: How do you develop your characters?

Ijasan Adelehin: Physical description plus mental description plus idiosyncrasies plus historical element. That's my formula ... not compulsorily, though.

EP: Are any of your characters a person you'd like to be? If so which one?

Ijasan Adelehin: Mikael in Wings Against the Sea. He's just a swell guy-I wish I was that loyal.

EP: Who inspired you to write?
Ijasan Adelehin: Stephen King. Every time I read a book by Stephen there always followed that bubbly, effervescent and urgent desire to pick up a pen and create something equally beautiful.

EP: What is the most humorous writing experience you've ever had?

Ijasan Adelehin: I was in a class one day, long time ago, in a horribly boring lecture. I had preoccupied myself by writing a long poem instead of the teacher's dictation and somehow, she discovered me. After scrutinizing my work, she asked me to read it to the class, out loud.
It had been an erotica, with words like breasts and manhood scattered all over the place. I must have been fourteen at the time.

EP: If a new writer came to you for advice what would you tell them?

Ijasan Adelehin: Everybody gets rejected, it's no biggie. Make every story you write better than the last one you wrote. Better yourself, develop your craft, take care of your grammar and punctuation. Read on the elements of writing: focus, voice, characterization, plot, etc. Read the classics, and understand why they are classics. Read pulp fiction too, and understand why they are pulp. Organize your own database of short story magazines, you can use Microsoft excel. Prey on fledging markets; they are least likely to reject a good work. And persist.

EP: Do you have a book coming out? If so what? Do you have a web site? Do you have a blog? My space?

Ijasan Adelehin: Yes, I have a book with Eternal Press. It's called Wings Against the Sea. It's the first book of the Mirines & Myaegles series. And it's about Love struggling within the pulverizing grip of Danger. You can visit my blogspot for more info: http://ijasanadelehin.blogspot.com.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. Good luck with Wings Against the Sea.

Check out Ijasan at Eternal Press: http://www.eternalpress.ca/Adelehin.html