PDA

View Full Version : Web-Sites??? Advice wanted.

Catherine Bybee
October 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Okay, okay, okay...
I'm looking into starting a web-site. I have my domain name secured... Now what? I've seen some awesome web-sites and several forgettable ones.

Is there an average cost? Do you have a web-designer? If so who? I'm trying to do my research, but have no earthly idea what I'm doing. I know money can be tossed at this and the whole thing can end up costing me more than I'll ever make publishing e-books. So I need to know what the rest of you are doing. What mistakes you made, etc.

All advice welcome.

Karenne
October 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
There are a lot of options out there. The first thing you need to do is set yourself a budget. Figure out what you CAN afford and go from there.

The next thing you need to do is decide what you want on your web site.

Then when you are done with that...check your opinions...what kind of web site are you looking for? Are you looking for a specific feel or look? Or are you pretty workable on that and just want something there?

Are you looking for someone to maintain it? or do you want to have a handle on that yourself.

I would suggest because I do get these questions A LOT..that you go and look at an article that I wrote one time about this and then ask me more questions.

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=1706

Catherine Bybee
October 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I do know that I want to learn to maintain it myself. All I ever hear is how people are 'waiting' for their person to update their site. Wow, great article. Okay... I'll think budget first. I don't even know what that looks like? Is there a cost per page - per month?
I'll get all my questions together and get back to you Karenne.

There are a lot of options out there. The first thing you need to do is set yourself a budget. Figure out what you CAN afford and go from there.

The next thing you need to do is decide what you want on your web site.

Then when you are done with that...check your opinions...what kind of web site are you looking for? Are you looking for a specific feel or look? Or are you pretty workable on that and just want something there?

Are you looking for someone to maintain it? or do you want to have a handle on that yourself.

I would suggest because I do get these questions A LOT..that you go and look at an article that I wrote one time about this and then ask me more questions.

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=1706

Karenne
October 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Personally...I have different plans for different people. So it is different with other peoples.

if you decide to go with someone, ask for contact information for references. Then contact the references.

Then look around. Find the other sites that person does, email the owner and just ASK. Nothing worng with that. If the web person does not have happy customers (or excustomers) then you need to think about that.

Of course....not everyone in the world can be happy. So make sure you weigh out everything that you are told.

I will be here when you have your questions.

MonikaM
December 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Is there an average cost? Do you have a web-designer?

These are some of the important questions to consider for a website.