PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused...

feybie
October 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I've just finished reading the Riley books and went looking for book seven and realised that the release dates seem to be according to american conventions? A friend of mine who lives in Canada said that book seven is coming out in March next year, which is their spring.

I dont understand why Keri's website (who is an Australian author) doesn't list it as Autumn 2009, which is the season Australians are in, in March.

And I would have thought Australia would get the book release before the rest of the world? I'm a little confused (and frustrated).

CharmedGirl
October 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I've just finished reading the Riley books and went looking for book seven and realised that the release dates seem to be according to american conventions? A friend of mine who lives in Canada said that book seven is coming out in March next year, which is their spring.

I dont understand why Keri's website (who is an Australian author) doesn't list it as Autumn 2009, which is the season Australians are in, in March.

And I would have thought Australia would get the book release before the rest of the world? I'm a little confused (and frustrated).

Nope we normally get Keri's books after they are released in the states. It's so unfair.

The seventh book is out in Autumn here in Australia. It could be listed for America's time of the year because her books are published by an overseas publisher.

feybie
October 5th, 2008, 09:05 PM
awwwww thats so unfair. We have to wait for the overseas books to get released here after they are released over there, and now we have to wait for our own authors too?

And I didnt realise you could get published by an overseas publisher without having first being published by your home country.... what about working laws etc?

CharmedGirl
October 6th, 2008, 12:42 AM
awwwww thats so unfair. We have to wait for the overseas books to get released here after they are released over there, and now we have to wait for our own authors too?

And I didnt realise you could get published by an overseas publisher without having first being published by your home country.... what about working laws etc?

Sometimes we get books here before they come out in America and other times we don't.

I've never heard anything about being published in your home country before being published overseas. So on that question I'm not sure!

hollie
October 6th, 2008, 06:19 AM
A lot of authors publish with over seas publishers espically american (they have so many) as long as you pay taxes you can work for who ever you want and most authors don't 'work' for a publisher they are contracted with them.

KeriArthur
October 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM

I may be australian, but technically I'm an american author, because that's whom I'm published by (Aussie publishers did not want to know me)

working laws (which I presume means green card laws) don't really apply when it comes to authors and actors. And Australia has tax agreements with most countries, including America. You have sign and submit a whole lot of legal forms, but basically authors (and other contractors) can pay tax in their home country rather than both. We generally only have to pay a small percentage to the AMerican government (5%) which we can claim back anyway (If you don't sign the forms, you pay 30% to the US gov, but can claim that back here). Which is probably way more than you needed to know about tax. lol

KeriArthur
October 9th, 2008, 07:22 PM

The books are contracted to an american publisher, which why they follow american release conventions. Piatkus, who releases the books in Australia, bought the commonwealth rights from bantam, but they will always release the books after the US release, not before. It's confusing, I know

:err:

Dani
October 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I may be australian, but technically I'm an american author, because that's whom I'm published by (Aussie publishers did not want to know me)
That's really sad. You'd think that an Aussie publisher would want to publish your books since you're A) you're an awesome writer and B) an Aussie too. Well, at least our American publishers liked you! :)

Crystal-Rain Love
October 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM
LOL! Oh, I'm sure the Aussie publishers are choking on their mistake now! I've only read the Imajinn books (I'll get to the others, I promise!) but I know those Riley Jensen books are extremely popular.

CharmedGirl
October 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
The books are contracted to an american publisher, which why they follow american release conventions. Piatkus, who releases the books in Australia, bought the commonwealth rights from bantam, but they will always release the books after the US release, not before. It's confusing, I know

:err:

It's harsh because normally we don't get the books until at least 2 weeks to a month later than America. It's totally unfair. Some places like Rosemary's Romance in Brisbane release them on the date they are released in America.

hollie
October 10th, 2008, 03:54 AM
we usually get Keri's books at the same time as america which is strange because usually we're about a month behind.

CharmedGirl
October 10th, 2008, 05:34 AM
we usually get Keri's books at the same time as america which is strange because usually we're about a month behind.

I think we the UK and Australia get Keri's books at the same time. I know that we have the same cover and that the America has a different cover than we have.

lavagrl
October 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I loved Keri Arthur's Riley books and am wondering what other ones she's written because I can't find them at my local bookstore.
Also, when is the next Riley book coming out American time? I was trying to follow the disscusion, but you guys lost me with the Fall vs. Spring thing. Does it come out in March 2009?
:Owl3:

Crystal-Rain Love
October 17th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Keri Arthur got started writing for Imajinn Books and her series there are great. Go to www.imajinnbooks.com (http://www.imajinnbooks.com) and just type in her name. She has a 4-book vamp series (Nikki & Michael series), a 2-book werewolf stories, a 3-book Spook Squad series, and my favorite series, which is the Circle series (these books kind of go along with the vamp series but feature shifters & such and can be read in any order and you don't have to read the vamp series to read them) and a book called Eryn: Lifemate Connections.
Can you tell I'm a big fan?

Dani
October 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I loved Keri Arthur's Riley books and am wondering what other ones she's written because I can't find them at my local bookstore.
Also, when is the next Riley book coming out American time? I was trying to follow the disscusion, but you guys lost me with the Fall vs. Spring thing. Does it come out in March 2009?
Go to her website and click on My Books to see all of her books. As for when the next Riley book comes out here in the States, it says on her site that it comes out in March 2009.

I have a way that you might understand the Spring/Fall thing that was discussed before. Because Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere and we are in the Northern Hemisphere, they are have Fall when we have Spring here in the States. I hope that helps explain things.

lavagrl
October 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Go to her website and click on My Books to see all of her books. As for when the next Riley book comes out here in the States, it says on her site that it comes out in March 2009.

I have a way that you might understand the Spring/Fall thing that was discussed before. Because Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere and we are in the Northern Hemisphere, they are have Fall when we have Spring here in the States. I hope that helps explain things.

Thank-you. I probably come off as an idiot, but I thought the same months were called the same seasons, and they just said winter was warm, summer was cold, and spring and fall were the transitions. So december through march is summer there, in name as well as in weather?

hollie
October 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yes sweetie it's summer in name and weather

lavagrl
October 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yes sweetie it's summer in name and weather

Thank you. And yes, I do feel kind of stupid. smilies/blush2.gif

lavagrl
October 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Keri Arthur got started writing for Imajinn Books and her series there are great. Go to www.imajinnbooks.com (http://www.imajinnbooks.com) and just type in her name. She has a 4-book vamp series (Nikki & Michael series), a 2-book werewolf stories, a 3-book Spook Squad series, and my favorite series, which is the Circle series (these books kind of go along with the vamp series but feature shifters & such and can be read in any order and you don't have to read the vamp series to read them) and a book called Eryn: Lifemate Connections.
Can you tell I'm a big fan?

Thanks for the tip. And yes, you being a fan is fairly obvious. Who in this thread isn't?

Dani
October 20th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Thank you. And yes, I do feel kind of stupid. smilies/blush2.gif
Don't feel that way. We all had to learn this kinda stuff sometime or another. :)

hollie
October 20th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the tip. And yes, you being a fan is fairly obvious. Who in this thread isn't?

Laugh it Up fuzball that would be nobody :rolleyes: