PDA

View Full Version : Talking about tea and afternoon tea

Shelley Munro
October 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
With my book Tea For Two coming out next week from Samhain I've been thinking about tea. When I think of tea my mind automatically goes to afternoon tea since I think the two go together so well.

First of all - do you drink tea? Or are you a coffee person? What is your favorite way to drink tea?
What is your favorite thing to eat with your tea or coffee?

Shelley

hollie
October 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
ok i'm going to be really really english here

I love tea and if it' s afternoon tea it should be with a scone strawberry jam and clotted cream.

Ok snobby bit over but proper afternoon tea is lovely and well worth trying

Shelley Munro
October 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Hollie,

I'm definitely not arguing with you. I love scones with clotted cream and jam. Yum!

Hubby and I had afternoon tea at the Ritz when we spent time in the UK. Expensive but very memorable.

I like salmon and creamcheese sandwiches. Oh, and cucumber sandwiches, too.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Shelley

maura
October 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM
You are making me hungry. My Dh and I love to go to a tea shop in Greenport, they have a wonderful afternoon tea. While I love my coffee, my Irish relatives made sure tea got equal time too. I love scones with clotted cream when I can get them and snatch one before Jim gets to them.

Kim Smith
October 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Forgive my utter Americanism... but what is clotted cream? I love tea of all types, coffee too, and yes, if i had to choose I would probably choose coffee, but tea definitely is up there! My fav would be a good hearty Earl Grey.

Shelley Munro
October 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi Kim,

It's a very, very thick cream. You have to spread it with a knife while normal whipped cream you can spoon.

Hollie might be able to give you a better description. All I know is that it's yummy. It's a very English thing.

I like Earl Grey too. At Christmas time we have a special Christmas tea for sale that has cloves and spices in it. That's very nice.

Shelley

Kim Smith
October 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
oh ok! i surely was thinking it was like cottage cheese, and i couldnt get my head around putting that on a scone :)

CharmedGirl
October 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I need a nice big cappuccino right about now even though it's almost 10pm here.

Shelley Munro
October 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Bec,

I love lattes. I craved a decent coffee while I was in the US. They don't make it nice and strong like they do down here. I think we have really good coffee down this part of the world.

Shelley

hollie
October 14th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Forgive my utter Americanism... but what is clotted cream? I love tea of all types, coffee too, and yes, if i had to choose I would probably choose coffee, but tea definitely is up there! My fav would be a good hearty Earl Grey.

As Shelley say's it's a very thick cream I once found a postcard with the recipe on it next time i'm in cornwall i'll pick one up.

Catherine Bybee
October 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM

:sofa:So glad you asked about the clotted cream. I'm sooo American too.

Daniella Ivette
June 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
First of all - do you drink tea? Or are you a coffee person?

I'm both - coffee in the morning, tea for the rest of the day... I like my coffee black, with plenty of Splenda or Stevia (I have quite a sweet tooth). I don't mind having it with milk -in fact, sometimes I add coffee mate-, but I'd rather drink it black. I adore flavored/scented coffees, being Vanilla and Coconut my top loves. (I may cheat a bit, and add extracts to my just-brewed coffee mug!)

What is your favorite way to drink tea?

I'm not fussy...I like it HOT and sweet, and if it's Lipton Yellow Label tea, it just HAS to have some milk. I love drinking that at night before beddy.

What is your favorite thing to eat with your tea or coffee?

Shelley

Crackers! Heh, hot beverages and cookies go hand in hand for me.

Now a question: Which tea flavor/brands are your favorites? Mine's Lipton Yellow Label (to drink with milk), and Celestial Seasonings. I also enjoy Bigelow's Pomegranate one.

Shelley Munro
June 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hi Daniella,

We have Bell Tea down here in New Zealand and they blend their own teas to sell in the supermarkets. I've been enjoying their Kenya Bold and their new Indian blend. They're both very drinkable.

I also like Lady Grey tea. For some reason I've gone right off Earl Grey.

Ginger tea is delicious and although it's not really tea, I've been drinking a lot of cranberry tea recently.

Shelley

PS - cookies are good for an occasion. :)