PDA

View Full Version : Monday Topic - Doing Research

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Good morning, everyone! Here's our first topic. Read through the materials, take the poll, and then we'll discuss the topic through the day. At the bottom is also the assignment for the day. This evening we will post the winners of today's contests and the result of the polls. Have fun!

WHAT IS A HISTORICAL ROMANCE? Moderator: Minnette Meador

RWA defines the historical romance as follows: “Romance novels set in any time period prior to 1945, and taking place in any location.”

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_romance) gives a great definition and even outlines the different sub-genres, as follows (note: I shortened these to save time – see the previous link for a full article – it goes into the attributes of the hero and heroine by each sub-genre. Very interesting):

Viking - These books feature Vikings during the Dark Ages or Middle Ages.

Medieval - These romances are typically set between 938-1485.

Tudor - These romances are set in England between 1485 and 1558.

Elizabethan - These novels are set in England between 1558 and 1603, during the time of Elizabeth I.

Georgian - These novels are set between 1714 and 1810 in England.

Pirate - Pirate novels feature a male or female who is sailing, or thought to be sailing, as a pirate or privateer on the high seas.

Victorian - These novels are set between 1832 and 1901 England, beginning with the Reform Act of 1832 and including the reign of Queen Victoria.

Colonial United States - These novels are all set in the United States between 1630 and 1798.

Civil War - Set in the former Confederacy, these novels cover the time period of the American Civil War and Reconstruction.

Western - These novels are set in the frontier of the United States, Canada, or Australia.

Native American - These novels could also fall into the Western subgenre, but always feature a Native American protagonist whose "heritage is integral to the story."

Americana - Set between 1880 and 1920 in the United States, usually in a small town or in the Midwest.

Regency is considered a genre by itself and is described by the RWA as: “Romance novels in which the majority of the story is set against the Regency period of the British Empire.”

Fiction Factor adds a few more sub-genres: Historical Romance - Romance stories set in the past and generally before the World Wars. Unfortunately "before the World Wars" is a broad classification and can be stretched so far back into our history to include: American West, American Colonial, American Civil War, American Revolution, American Reconstruction, Native American, Australian Colonial, European Dark Ages, Early European Renaissance, French Revolution, Celtic, Medieval England, Middle Ages England, Victorian England and Regency England. The odd Pirate tale also shows up every now and then under this classification.

And for me, personally, I’d like to add the Ancient Historical Romance, which includes from the beginning of mankind to the European Dark ages…just like to know I have a sub-genre somewhere!

However you define it, historical romance has been around a long time and is here to stay.

MAKING RESEARCH FAST & FUN – TIPS AND TRICKS ON WRITING HISTORICAL ROMANCE

MINNETTE’S CONTRIBUTION:
I majored in Western Civ when I went to college many, many years ago and then realized a history major wasn’t going to get me much in the way of a job. Very few history majors (beyond professors and other teachers) make a living at it. Like archeologist, anthropologist, geologist, or French literature majors, historians usually end up doing something else unless they teach…or write.

What I discovered while I was writing my first historical romance was that research is VERY DANGEROUS. If you love history as I do, every fact you find leads to several hundred other facts. You can spend your life doing research and never write a word.

So that brings me to suggestions for research with the preamble that these are just things that worked for me. Everyone has their own way to do research for a book. I think everyone needs to find their own way and methods, but maybe this will help you avoid some pitfalls.

1. RESEARCH TO THE BOOK – It is very easy to get so involved in research that you lose sight of writing altogether. I try not to let myself get distracted by a subject that is off topic. Believe me it takes discipline…I LOVE studying history, especially ancient history. So when I find myself off on a topic that has nothing to do with my book, I add the link to a special favorites folder (or make note of the book) and come back to it when I have the luxury of researching for research’s sake or for the next book. Keep in mind you are a writer…not a historian.

2. PUT IT WHERE YOU CAN FIND IT LATER – One of the biggest mistakes I made when I was first doing research was not keeping track of where I found the resource. It’s easy to add an internet link to a favorite’s folder or writing down a library/book resource as you’re going along. It’s next to impossible to do it miles down the research road when you’ve forgotten it. Keep a log. The reason it’s important? I can’t tell you how many times someone has questioned a fact…I knew I had looked it up, but couldn’t remember in my hours of research exactly where. I then had to go back and re-research it. Trust me, it’s a very frustrating process. Keep track of your resources, especially those you use directly in your writing.

3. FOCUS – I try to focus research on only the time, place, people, and events taking place in my novel unless I need background information I’ll need to build in later. As with any writing I do, I research the general time quickly and concentrate on specific details as needed for the story.

4. TOO MUCH BACKGROUD – Weaving historical information into the fabric of the story gives it depth and pulls the reader in. Too much information is distracting and makes people start skimming. Keep your facts to a minimum to push the story forward and built them in gradually, not all at once. As with any writing, ask yourself these questions: Does this information have something to do with the novel directly? Is it vital to the story? If it isn’t, don’t use it.

5. CLOSE YOUR EYES – I do this exercise whenever I start a project. It gives me a wonderful way to figure out where to start in my research and saves me a ton of time…and it also helps me to figure out what is important. Give it a try and see if it works for you: I sit in my comfy chair, close my eyes, and concentrate on the story. This, to me, is the best part of writing…shutting out the modern world and putting myself in another time and place. Imagining what your day would be like as a Roman soldier, a Celtic queen, or a gladiator. What is my “home” like? What did I have for breakfast that morning? What clothes did I put on that day? Who’s my best friend? Do I own a dog? I ask lots of questions. I try to put myself in the character’s shoes (or his underwear as someone once suggested) and imagine what his/her day would be like. I make a list of all the gaps…those things I don’t know. Once I’ve done that, I have a whole list of areas to research. In order to make the history come alive, you have to share what goes on with this person on a very intimate level.

6. YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE AN EXPERT, BUT YOU MAY NEED TO FIND ONE – I do not consider myself a historical expert. As a matter of fact, I am a “closet” historian who admires the real historians who spend their lives in search of the truth of history. These people teach at our universities, write books, contribute to history channels and movies, and head wonderful museums and associations. I’ve discovered, to my delight, that they LOVE to talk about history. I have worked with a couple of museums and a prestigious reenactment association to help me with my scenes just by emailing them and asking questions. The reenactment people actually choreographed my fight scenes for me. So don’t be shy…ask! The worse they can say is “no” or completely ignore you. The beauty is there are lots of museums, libraries, and academia out there.

7. WHERE TO FIND ANSWERS – Everyone has their own method for research. For me personally, I use books, articles, and the internet. Here are a few links I’ve used for my subjects, but the library is a great place to start and of course places like Wikipedia.
http://www.thearma.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/
http://www.teacheroz.com/romans.htm
http://www.roman-britain.org/
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/index.html
http://www.wikipedia.org/
http://mp_pollett.tripod.com/idiomexp.htm

8. ARTICLES ABOUT RESEARCH – Here is an article (http://rosecityromancewriters.blogspot.com/2008/07/did-romans-wear-underwear.html)I wrote about doing research for Rose City Romance. There is a plethora of articles written by other historical writers on research. Do a search…just make sure you don’t spend all your time researching research. ~LOL~

DELILAH’S CONTRIBUTION:
*Haunt used book stores (pun intended). Particularly their history section. You'd be surprised what amazing tid bits you'd come across and for cheap!

*Best source for cheap research books? www.half.com (http://www.half.com)

*Haunt garage sales and estate sales. Some of the best books can be found long forgotten amongst piles of dusty books. And for dirt cheap!

*Go through old newspapers. No matter what era you write in, old newspapers are where it's at. Whether you get them through your library or online, use them as the best resource for the time period you wish to delve into. There's no better source than the year of the source.

*Google key words that interest you and see what that yields.

*Use Google Books to hunt through countless books you normally wouldn't have access to.

*Ebay. There are treasures still to be found. You must be willing to hunt.

LYN’S CONTRIBUTION: Research is a huge part of being a historical romance writer and can be daunting and time consuming. Some authors do not venture into the genre for fear of getting a historical fact wrong and the time it takes to research. But I’m here to tell you to take the plunge. If you love reading historicals, than half the battle is done. You would be amazed at how much information and authentic facts you’ll gather by reading your favorite historical authors.

I won’t lie to you, research can take up a lot of your writing time, however, the websites that Minnette pointed out are extremely helpful. And I hope to help you navigate through our history with some time-saving and fun tips on research.

Tip #1 Wikipedia and Google are great friends to have. Although, be aware that the internet does not always offer the correct information, but it can point you in the right direction.

Tip #2 I’m a big fan of buying used research books on the era I write about, which is mostly medieval Scotland. Whenever I pass a secondhand bookstore, I pop in to see if they have any historical books on Scotland or pirates. These books are inexpensive and an accurate source for historical facts.

Tip # 3 Don’t be afraid to buy children’s historical books. They tend to have only the most important information along with great visual facts and settings. You won’t get bogged down with hordes of data in the adult books and this will save you time when you are looking for something specific.

Tip #4 Find yourself a die-hard historical reader to critique your manuscript. These people tend to know the smallest information on history. I have a main critique partner who gets all my manuscripts before anyone else. She checks for historical facts I might have overlooked along with any modern language that slipped through.

Tip #5 To make research fun, I suggest before you start to write, rent a heap of movies set in your particular era. For eg, Regency (Sense & Sensibility), Ancient Rome (Gladiator), Pirates (Pirates of the Caribbean, Cutthroat Island), etc.

Sit down with a pen and paper and note their costumes, setting, body language, dialogue and any other tidbits of interest. This will give you heaps of ideas and it’s a fun way to research. Although, be aware that some movies can be relaxed on authentic dialogue. Pirates of the Caribbean had many modern terms.

This leads me to my last tip.

Tip #6 If you are not sure if a word is historically accurate, then log onto www.Dictionary.com (http://www.Dictionary.com) and type in the word. Beneath the description, it shows the year the word was developed and sometimes the origin. I tend to run this website while I am editing my manuscripts.

DISCUSSION: What other methods of research could be used? Be creative with your answers.

DAILY ASSIGNMENT: Pick a time, place, and event in history (must be at least fifty years in the past) that you have never done research on. Put yourself in that time and then do research (or library if preferred) for one hour. At the end of the hour, write one-page on what a day in your life would be like in that time. Send your assignment to mmeador@minnettemeador.com and I’ll post them where everyone can take a look. If you don’t want it posted, please let me know when you send it.

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just want to see if anyone is ready for the discussion topic: What other methods of research could be used? Be creative with your answers.

I've got another one; when you take a vacation, visit the city's local museum and find out what interesting stories there are in the area. I've gotten some great ideas that way! You can also visit your own local museum for ideas. Or better still, visit a historic brothel...now, there's an idea! ~LOL~

elizaknight
October 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
When I took a trip to Williamsburg, VA a few weeks ago, I bought a couple of ghost books, and learned a lot about the history just by reading the local ghost stories.

hollie
October 13th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I know quite a bit about my local history but then again so do most people with an interest in history I live just south of York

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
When I took a trip to Williamsburg, VA a few weeks ago, I bought a couple of ghost books, and learned a lot about the history just by reading the local ghost stories.

That's a great one...a history romance involving a ghost. Some writers write contemporary stories and then do a historical aspect by delving into the past of the ghost. I've read some wonderful stories in this format.

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I know quite a bit about my local history but then again so do most people with an interest in history I live just south of York

That's where you have to get a little creative. Everyone knew about Boudicca, too, and what happened during the conflict. I decided to create characters who had their own history and use that event as a backdrop. When Marius and Delia fall in love, they are separated by the revolt and find themselves fighting on opposing sides. Talk about conflict!

hollie
October 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
it's a good idea and makes for a exciting book

Dani
October 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Does anyone ever write about the Renaissance? I realize that some of the dates mentioned over lap for the time of the Renaissance, but does anyone ever write more about the happenings of that time in their books for background purposes?

mrsgodiva
October 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I've found you can get alot of information by joining yahoogroups of an area of interest. I'm working on a book partly set in 1919 Chicago during the Black Sox Scandal. I joined a loop of people who live to talk about the scandal, with tons of obscure information I hadn't found elsewhere.

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM
... visit a historic brothel...now, there's an idea! ~LOL~

LOL. I never thought of visiting a historic brothel. I wonder where you find them? Yellow pages? LOL.

Lyn
xoxo

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Does anyone ever write about the Renaissance? I realize that some of the dates mentioned over lap for the time of the Renaissance, but does anyone ever write more about the happenings of that time in their books for background purposes?

I haven't read one myself in romance, but I've read a couple of books about the the art masters from that time and did my college thesis on Leonardo DeVinci. Come to think of it, I've read a couple other books about that time, but none of them romance. I'm sure they are out there...has anyone else?

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 06:27 PM
LOL. I never thought of visiting a historic brothel. I wonder where you find them? Yellow pages? LOL.

Lyn
xoxo

I just did a Google search for brothal museums in the US and it came up with a whole bunch of them ~teehee~ I would imagine it's a pretty popular subject. Maybe Delilah knows more...~grin~

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM

York is such a charming area. A great setting for a regency.
http://www.coffeetimeromance.com//board/images/icons/xrevision.gif

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
That's a great one...a history romance involving a ghost. Some writers write contemporary stories and then do a historical aspect by delving into the past of the ghost. I've read some wonderful stories in this format.

I agree with Minnette. Ghost stories are a wonderful way to find unique history.

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I want to remind everyone about the assignment. You can do these tonight and email them to me in the morning, but make sure you at try them. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Today's Assignment:
Pick a time, place, and event in history (must be at least fifty years in the past) that you have never done research on. Put yourself in that time and then do research (or library if preferred) for one hour. At the end of the hour, write one-page on what a day in your life would be like in that time. Send your assignment to mmeador@minnettemeador.com (mmeador@minnettemeador.com) and I’ll post them where everyone can take a look. If you don’t want it posted, please let me know when you send it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

rebelheart
October 13th, 2008, 06:52 PM
1. RESEARCH TO THE BOOK – It is very easy to get so involved in research that you lose sight of writing altogether.

That's the problem!
I've a confession on that Tip #3---I also like the pictures in children's books.
As far as picking a favorite time period, I had a tough time. I like Elizabethan and Victorian. And ancient times. To me, these were key learning periods in history. But because I really like them all, I think for me, it was a matter of picking the one(s) you like least---which would have been Western and Colonial America. I must be more of a learner than an explorer.

Travel brochures are a great way to find out the attractions in an area. Even ones from the area in which you live or were reared (Cajun Country for me) can be revealing because you may not have known a certain attraction was there, as well as hours of operation and contact information for a guided historical tour.

Some magazines---like Reader's Digest or AARP or Islands, I think---have "get-away" brochures that you can send out for. I know I've gotten travel info on Scotland and England. Which can then lead you to more info on an historical site.

My parents like to get travel brochures mailed to them so they can plan their RV trips across the country. Hence, another resource! When they come back, we get to look at ALL the pictures, along with narration. They've just come back from seeing lots of Civil War battlefield sites. Ought to be interesting! Julie

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM

The Renaissance lasts over three centuries, so it would be hard to write a novel spanning the whole era.

The Celtic series has limited historic issues except the superstition of witches. For that reason, I have left the timing open. But I wanted it to be that way until the last book in the series, Witch Hunter.
This is written in a specific time because of the witch trails and the hysteria caused by King James IV and his book on "Demonology". The previous books in the series lead up to this event.

So the question is, do you like to read historicals that use history as a setting or has facts/issues of a specific era?

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
1My parents like to get travel brochures mailed to them so they can plan their RV trips across the country. Hence, another resource! When they come back, we get to look at ALL the pictures, along with narration. They've just come back from seeing lots of Civil War battlefield sites. Ought to be interesting! Julie

What great ideas, Julie. :rolleyes:

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I will be drawing the prize for The Last Celtic Witch ebook at 8.30pm EST. Which is 5.30pm pacific time. So email me soon with your answer for a chance to win the first book in the Celtic series.

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM
1. RESEARCH TO THE BOOK It is very easy to get so involved in research that you lose sight of writing altogether.

That's the problem!
I've a confession on that Tip #3---I also like the pictures in children's books.
As far as picking a favorite time period, I had a tough time. I like Elizabethan and Victorian. And ancient times. To me, these were key learning periods in history. But because I really like them all, I think for me, it was a matter of picking the one(s) you like least---which would have been Western and Colonial America. I must be more of a learner than an explorer.

Travel brochures are a great way to find out the attractions in an area. Even ones from the area in which you live or were reared (Cajun Country for me) can be revealing because you may not have known a certain attraction was there, as well as hours of operation and contact information for a guided historical tour.

Some magazines---like Reader's Digest or AARP or Islands, I think---have "get-away" brochures that you can send out for. I know I've gotten travel info on Scotland and England. Which can then lead you to more info on an historical site.

My parents like to get travel brochures mailed to them so they can plan their RV trips across the country. Hence, another resource! When they come back, we get to look at ALL the pictures, along with narration. They've just come back from seeing lots of Civil War battlefield sites. Ought to be interesting! Julie

As far as researching "to the book", that's why I mentioned it. The biggest complaint I get from writers about historicals is they can't seem to focus on the topic. It really does take practice. That's why I say to put those wonderful other facts aside and earmark them for later. My best friend in research? The index and table of contents!

I love the idea of the brochures! I'm thinking you could go to the local chamber of commerce site, too, to find out where the museums and points of interest are.

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've found you can get alot of information by joining yahoogroups of an area of interest. I'm working on a book partly set in 1919 Chicago during the Black Sox Scandal. I joined a loop of people who live to talk about the scandal, with tons of obscure information I hadn't found elsewhere.

That's a fabulous idea! I belong to a couple of historical loops, but I never thought to try to find one for a particular event in history. I just LOVE these ideas! M:)

rebelheart
October 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Chamber of Commerce---Most definitely! And every state should have a State Tourism Office. I like the idea of an index.

Lyn Armstrong
October 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
My daughter picked out a winner for The Last Celtic Witch.

Drum roll please.......

Candace Clayton.Bouncy Icon Smilie

Congradulations, Candace. I will send you an ebook for The Last Celtic Witch.

Lyn

DelilahMarvelle
October 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I am SOOOO falling behind, LOL. Don't know where I'm supposed to go and so I'm wandering the loops like the dolt that I am...
If anyone would like to e-mail me about any historical questions relating to Regency, the Romantic Period or the Victorian Period, I'm your girl. I ardently await questions all week long and promise to be a bit more together about figuring out where I'm supposed to be...

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I am SOOOO falling behind, LOL. Don't know where I'm supposed to go and so I'm wandering the loops like the dolt that I am...
If anyone would like to e-mail me about any historical questions relating to Regency, the Romantic Period or the Victorian Period, I'm your girl. I ardently await questions all week long and promise to be a bit more together about figuring out where I'm supposed to be...

Actually, you're right where you should be, girl!

candaceclayton
October 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Lyn
xoxo

I know of two in Texas. One is in Port LaVoca and is even in a movie, The Best Little Hoar House in Texas. The other one is here in the twon I live in. Never been there, but I drive past it all the time.

Candace

candaceclayton
October 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
My daughter picked out a winner for The Last Celtic Witch.

Drum roll please.......

Candace Clayton.

Congradulations, Candace. I will send you an ebook for The Last Celtic Witch.

Lyn
Woohoo! Thank you, Lyn. And thank your daughter for me. I can't wait to read it!

Candace:whoohoo:

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
And today's winner of an ebook copy of either The Centurion & The Queen or The Edge of Honor is.....

Natalie Boon!!!!!

Bouncy Icon Smilie:smilingsun::whistilin::huepfen017::clap:

Here is a link to my webpage (http://www.minnettemeador.com)if you want to read the blurbs. You might want to do The Centurion & The Queen since it's the first book, but Edge can be read alone. Let me know which you would prefer and I'll send it right over to you...congrats, girl!!!

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Last call to vote in the poll (it's at the top of this thread). I'll announce the results at about 8pm Pacific time. Get those votes in!

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I know of two in Texas. One is in Port LaVoca and is even in a movie, The Best Little Hoar House in Texas. The other one is here in the twon I live in. Never been there, but I drive past it all the time.

Candace

How fun would it be to have a bunch of us come to your house to tour the whore house? :firedevil: Hey, we could write off the entire trip! I can see my tax form now...~LMAO~

Minnette
October 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM
MONDAY POLL RESULTS - If you could live in one time, which would it be? Regency – 1810 to 1831 England with 40%! Ancient and Victorian came in at 20% each. Watch for the next poll tomorrow AM! Good night, all!

candaceclayton
October 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
How fun would it be to have a bunch of us come to your house to tour the whore house? :firedevil: Hey, we could write off the entire trip! I can see my tax form now...~LMAO~
Lmao! That would be tons of fun!

Candace

Lyn Armstrong
October 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM

My accountant can put those receipts with the ones from the Erotic Museum of Art and the adult "research" books. LOL. I don't think he even questions them anymore. If it has got to do with sex, he just nods and keeps working. Laugh it Up fuzball

Adrianne_Brennan
October 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Just want to see if anyone is ready for the discussion topic: What other methods of research could be used? Be creative with your answers.

I've got another one; when you take a vacation, visit the city's local museum and find out what interesting stories there are in the area. I've gotten some great ideas that way! You can also visit your own local museum for ideas. Or better still, visit a historic brothel...now, there's an idea! ~LOL~

Read books and stories written in that time period. It gives you a good flow of how people thought and wrote stories THEN and hence would help with your story. :)

Love & Magic,
-A

hollie
October 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
My accountant can put those receipts with the ones from the Erotic Museum of Art and the adult "research" books. LOL. I don't think he even questions them anymore. If it has got to do with sex, he just nods and keeps working. Laugh it Up fuzball

now I know why you lot write 'romances' Laugh it Up fuzball

Adrianne_Brennan
October 14th, 2008, 11:01 AM
now I know why you lot write 'romances' Laugh it Up fuzball

That sounds like the best job ever! :D Times like this I wish I could quit my main one and just write, lol!

Minnette
October 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
That sounds like the best job ever! :D Times like this I wish I could quit my main one and just write, lol!

Don't we all, sister...don't we all...

Adrianne_Brennan
October 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Don't we all, sister...don't we all...

LOL!

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I actually do love my job but let me tell ya, if I get that opportunity I'm grabbing it!!

candaceclayton
October 14th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, I work part time from home, so have no reason for not focusing on my writing. Other than the fact that lately my motto has been, Procrastinate later!

Adrianne_Brennan
October 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I work part time from home, so have no reason for not focusing on my writing. Other than the fact that lately my motto has been, Procrastinate later!

Heh! Lucky. I have a full time job but it's pretty lax on comp time. So long as I get my work done I can get away with a lot.

Natalie
October 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM
If you live near a library, it may have the Complete Oxford English Dictionary, which is utterly wonderful for word usages. It gives you the detailed evolution of words.

It probably gives more than you need for writing, but it's rather neat to read at times.

hollie
October 18th, 2008, 07:19 AM
we use the oxford schools dictionary mainly cos the kids got given one each when they left primary school i also have a oxford pocket. We play a dictionary game using them. One person has the dictionary and picks a word, they then tell the others what type of word noun adjective etc the letter it starts with and the meaning given in the dictionary. it's not as easy as you think and can also be used for younger kids depending on the words used

rgraham666
October 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
My computer came with a digital, hyperlinked version of Oxford's.

I love it. When I'm writing it's always open and I refer to it very often. :)

hollie
October 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Cool I need one of them I love the oxford, being English nothing else quiet meets its standards