PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Topic & Poll - Making history come alive on the page

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
:jouster:
Making history come alive on the page - How to make your reader’s heart race! <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The ex-centurion knew if the Romans caught him, he was dead. Marius felt the horse strain under his thighs. The animal’s head split the air in front of them. Wind roared, mingling with the pounding of Marius’ heart and the jolting rumble of hooves against the forest floor. Blood flowed from a throbbing wound on his shoulder and spattered behind him, staining the horse’s rump. He tightened his grip on the reins, bowing his head low over the animal’s neck. The smell of horseflesh was stringent in his nose.

<O:p</O:pA grim thought flashed through his mind. He may never hold Delia again.Marius’ throat tightened. He dug his heels into Brutus and forced him to move faster. He would make it up to the horse later, if he survived. – The Edge of Honor

<O:p</O:pWhat is it that makes this passage exciting? Is it the rhythm? Is it the words? Is it the short sentences? Is it being in the moment?

<O:p</O:pIt’s actually all of the above.

<O:p</O:pRhythm – I went to a seminar once with this very passage (before editing) and had the group at the edge of their seats. That is, until I decided to put back story in the middle of it. Rhythm is everything in an action scene. Don’t muck it up with back story, a lot of introspection, or anything else that will stop the action. You’ve promised movement…you better make sure you deliver or you’ll lose your reader.<O:p</O:p
Words – Like poets, words are very important to an action scene. Choose them wisely. For example, if you are in the middle of a chase, you probably wouldn’t stare at something. More than likely you would glance at it. Keep the words as vibrant as the action.<O:p</O:p
Short Sentences – My wonderful editor taught me this one. When you’re writing an action sequence, keep the sentences short. This gives the passage energy, life and a sense of urgency. Not that I always do it, mind you…it takes work to put action into short sentences when there is so much going on. Practice. <O:p</O:p
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…<O:p</O:p
Show Don’t Tell – If you have done any writing classes at all, talked to another writer, or had any of your work critiqued, you’ve probably heard this one before. It took me the longest time to figure out just what that meant and believe me, I still have to work on it as my critique partner can attest. It’s something you have to practice in everything you write…and you have to do it constantly. A very good writer friend of mine defined it for me like this: You need to make your words create images, make them visual. Put your reader in the scene. Let her experience the event as it happens, one step at a time. Write it in real time as if you are experiencing it right now. Use all your senses when you’re writing: What do you see? What do you hear? What do you physically feel? What do you taste? What do you smell? What’s happening inside you? Work the senses into the piece; weave them into the action.<O:p</O:p

Here are some examples:<O:p</O:p

He liked the girl.
His heart pounded faster, leaving the faintest ringing in his ears, and an uncomfortable stiffness pushed out the fabric of his pants.<O:p</O:p

She blushed prettily.
The blush rose in her cheeks pulling her mouth into an impish smirk and brightening her eyes.<O:p</O:p

~LOL~ Like I said, this is hard, but one of the best exercises you can do. Now it’s your turn: <O:p</O:p

Below you will see a list of sentences. Make the sentences more exciting. Remember to “Show Don’t Tell” and don’t be afraid to be creative. <O:p</O:p

Joanne was upset.

<O:p</O:pShe liked the way his hands felt.

<O:p</O:pThe king acted standoffish.

<O:p</O:pHe smelled her perfume.

<O:p</O:pIf you have your own example from something you’ve done in the past, you can share that with us, too.

<O:p</O:pDISCUSSION: Why is it important to “show don’t tell” in writing?

<O:p</O:pASSIGNMENT: Going to one of your favorite books, pick out a short passage that really made your heart pound when you read it. Send it to mmeador@minnettemeador.com (mmeador@minnettemeador.com) and tell us what it is about that passage that makes it so appealing. I’ll post these for everyone to see. Extra Credit: Write your own exciting paragraph and submit it for comments. <O:p</O:p

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Show don't tell draws the readers in and creates images with words. Since this isn't a movie, the writer must provide the scene. It allows the writing to come alive and feel more real, like the reader is actually there witnessing everything.

It's also more convincing to the reader. Is the girl really happy? How do we know? We know by observation.

candaceclayton
October 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
He smelled her perfume.

How is this:

His nostrils flared as he nuzzled her neck, his chest rising with each inhalaton of her distinct scent.

or is this telling, not showing?
I have the hardest time with that!

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Show don't tell draws the readers in and creates images with words. Since this isn't a movie, the writer must provide the scene. It allows the writing to come alive and feel more real, like the reader is actually there witnessing everything.

It's also more convincing to the reader. Is the girl really happy? How do we know? We know by observation.

Excellent, Adrianne - I love that!

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
He smelled her perfume.

How is this:

His nostrils flared as he nuzzled her neck, his chest rising with each inhalaton of her distinct scent.

or is this telling, not showing?
I have the hardest time with that!

Definitely showing...you might even mention what that scent was: Musky? Sweet? Earthy? I know what you mean...I had the hardest time, too. Like I said, it takes practice. I still get notes from critique partners and editors on this!

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Excellent, Adrianne - I love that!

Thanks!

Part of what makes a book good is how much it sucks you in, makes you feel like you're THERE, in another world somewhere observing it all. So part of a book's job is to convince you that it is REAL...not just a work of fiction...even for just those moments spent reading.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks!

Part of what makes a book good is how much it sucks you in, makes you feel like you're THERE, in another world somewhere observing it all. So part of a book's job is to convince you that it is REAL...not just a work of fiction...even for just those moments spent reading.

I agree...what would you do to the samples, Adrianne? I'd love to see what you come up with.

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I agree...what would you do to the samples, Adrianne? I'd love to see what you come up with.

She liked the way his hands felt.

His hands warmed her bare arms, the gentle but electrifying touch of his flesh against hers making her pulse race.

The king acted standoffish.

The king stood rigid with his arms folded in front of his chest, surveying the room with narrowed eyes.

He smelled her perfume.

Her intoxicating fragrance filled his senses, enticing him to draw nearer.

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I'm a beginning writer so please be kind. lol. Here's an action scene I wrote.

Lisa~

A man dressed in black pulled a gun from the folds of his long trench coat. Karina screamed, scrambled to her feet, pointing. "Someone stop him. Stop that man!"
In slow motion, he raised the weapon and aimed point blank at a clerk’s head. The blast echoed through the busy mall. She screamed and ran, tripped and fell; her breath coming in short gasps. Two more shots rang out.
Unable to move, sure she’d die, either from the frantic mob or the shooter, Karina pushed her palms against the cold floor, rising slightly. Someone’s boot struck her ribs and pain shot through her. She huddled into a ball. "Dear God, help me."
A stranger lifted her with strong, steady hands and cradled her against him. She buried her face into his chest and trembled.
A shot zinged into a post nearby. She burrowed deeper into him, and gasped.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM

His hands warmed her bare arms, the gentle but electrifying touch of his flesh against hers making her pulse race.

The king stood rigid with his arms folded in front of his chest, surveying the room with narrowed eyes.

He smelled her perfume.

There you go...an expert!

How about the rest of you?

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
There you go...an expert!

*blush* :notworthy:

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm a beginning writer so please be kind. lol. Here's an action scene I wrote.

Lisa~

A man dressed in black pulled a gun from the folds of his long trench coat. Karina screamed, scrambled to her feet, pointing. "Someone stop him. Stop that man!"
In slow motion, he raised the weapon and aimed point blank at a clerk’s head. The blast echoed through the busy mall. She screamed and ran, tripped and fell; her breath coming in short gasps. Two more shots rang out.
Unable to move, sure she’d die, either from the frantic mob or the shooter, Karina pushed her palms against the cold floor, rising slightly. Someone’s boot struck her ribs and pain shot through her. She huddled into a ball. "Dear God, help me."
A stranger lifted her with strong, steady hands and cradled her against him. She buried her face into his chest and trembled.
A shot zinged into a post nearby. She burrowed deeper into him, and gasped.

This is wonderful, Lisa. Try to get it more in the moment, if you can. Things like "Karina screamed, scrambled to her feet, pointing" might be more exciting as "Scrambling to her feet, Karina let out a scream and pointed." Present tense vs. past tense. The "ed" puts it in past tense, so use it sparingly. Also, use your short sentences to build in excitement - and don't forget how she's feeling. Karina screamed. Struggling to sit, she pointed. Her fingers trembled...everything turned smoky around her. The words caught in her throat. She pushed to get them out. "Some...someone stop him!...

I love the palms against the cold floor and the stranger taking her in his arms...~sigh~ Nicely done!

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM

He smelled her perfume.

Great samples, Adrianne. goodpostsmilies

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Great samples, Adrianne. goodpostsmilies

Aw shucks, thanks! :)

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
This is wonderful, Lisa. Try to get it more in the moment, if you can. Things like "Karina screamed, scrambled to her feet, pointing" might be more exciting as "Scrambling to her feet, Karina let out a scream and pointed." Present tense vs. past tense. The "ed" puts it in past tense, so use it sparingly. Also, use your short sentences to build in excitement - and don't forget how she's feeling. Karina screamed. Struggling to sit, she pointed. Her fingers trembled...everything turned smoky around her. The words caught in her throat. She pushed to get them out. "Some...someone stop him!...

I love the palms against the cold floor and the stranger taking her in his arms...~sigh~ Nicely done!

I agree with Minnette. I love the short sentences, which increased the tension. However, the villain in the piece has no other description besides wearing a black coat. You may want to add something more than "A man". What wicked features can you describe on first glance other than what he is wearing? Does he have a scar? Dark sunglasses or black rings under his bloodshot eyes, a long crooked nose and thin lips. What made her look at this guy and be suspicious? Was he smoking a cigar in a smoke-free zone? Build the tension with your villain first then hit the action.

And be aware of your scenes. Imagine your story is like a movie, where is your camera pointing? If your camera has to quickly zoom from one place to the next and then back again, it can be jarring for the reader. Try to stick with one action at a time and build that tension before going to the next. Does that make sense?

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
That's what I LOVE about Lyn...she's so good at this! M:)

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
That's what I LOVE about Lyn...she's so good at this! M:)

LOL...thanks sweetie. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/images/icons/icon10.gif

candaceclayton
October 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Definitely showing...you might even mention what that scent was: Musky? Sweet? Earthy? I know what you mean...I had the hardest time, too. Like I said, it takes practice. I still get notes from critique partners and editors on this!
:whoohoo:

Maybe I am finally starting to get the hang of this!

Candace

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
:wacko:Okay guys, lol, point well taken. It's good to have someone point stuff out to me. I like reading the (in the moment stuff) myself and that's what I'm striving for...all suggestions are great but I wrote more and the guy is on the second floor concourse. She's on the bottom level looking up from a distance...so would I need to describe him more than just saying a black coat then...wondering???

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
:wacko:Okay guys, lol, point well taken. It's good to have someone point stuff out to me. I like reading the (in the moment stuff) myself and that's what I'm striving for...all suggestions are great but I wrote more and the guy is on the second floor concourse. She's on the bottom level looking up from a distance...so would I need to describe him more than just saying a black coat then...wondering???

I think so...we want to know what it is about this guy that makes him scary, like Lyn pointed out. Readers want things to move along, but they want to know what they are looking at. I love Lyn's comment about camera angles; that helped me a lot when I was writing. If you get a chance, look up storyboarding...or better still, see if your local RWA is having a seminar on it. This stuff is gold for scene building.

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Not that I'm an author but yes you would definitely need to describe it more.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
...that helped me a lot when I was writing.

Should have read: ...that helped me a lot when I was writing Centurion...

I'm still writing...they'll have to pry the rusted pen out of my cold, dead hand when I die...:zombie4:

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks, guys! I'll take your advice and see how this goes. I'm sorry for no historical. Like I said, I want to try it one day. lol.

Lisa~

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks, guys! I'll take your advice and see how this goes. I'm sorry for no historical. Like I said, I want to try it one day. lol.

Lisa~

Just file all the imformation away in a little corner of your brain and it will be there later when you come back to historicals. But most of what is being taught is correct for all writing not just historical. Research and facts play apart even in a fantasy world otherwise nothing is believable.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Lisa~

Don't worry about it, sweetie...we're here to help. Just keep writing!
:magichappens:

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Big hugs to all for being so sweet!!:notworthy:

Lisa~
www.lisaalexandergriffin.com (http://www.lisaalexandergriffin.com)
www.myspace.com/destinyschoice8 (http://www.myspace.com/destinyschoice8)

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Oh...and before I get to yappy, I wanted you to know the lesson on how to research historicals will help me tremendously. It'll give me focus on where to start and where to go. Very useful!!

~Lisa~

Mary D
October 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Joanne was upset.
Joanne slammed the door and glared at us.

She gasped as his hands trailed down her thighs. Like silk, his fingertips, but so much better.

The king glanced around the room, his eyes pausing for no one, as he turned away.

He smelled her perfume.
He gagged. She must have taken a shower in Eau de Roadkill. He edged toward the door to make his escape.

FROM ME: my unsold story "Communion of Saints," Abraham van Helsing's (of Bram Stoker's Dracula) first encounter with a vampire. On his first trip to Hungary as a young student, woman named Erzsebet held him in thrall:

She stepped toward me. "I am so tired of this Milhály. Wouldn’t you like to speak of us?" She embraced me with a frightening strength and seemed to intend a kiss, though her mouth came no higher than my neck.

Then I was flying through the air. She flung me away from her as though I were no more than pillow. She howled like the hounds of hell as she fell to the ground even as I smashed into the bridge railing. Suddenly I knew what the splash had been. I clutched my rib cage in the splurges of pain that followed. The acrid stench of burnt flesh wafted around me. I knew the odor from cauterizing wounds, but I couldn’t tell where it came from until I looked down.

Erzsebet reached for me with hands twisted into claws, but something stayed her grasp. She threw her head back and screamed in pain and rage. On her breast was burned a cross, still fresh and smouldering.

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Okay, I'm gonna try this. lol. Here goes.
Lisa~

Joanne was upset.
Joanne crossed her arms and glared at him, her foot tapping the gray tile floor.

His callused hands skimmed the flesh of her arm and sensation spiraled through to her core.

He smelled her perfume.
Jasmine invaded his senses to blend with her unique scent.

rgraham666
October 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Below you will see a list of sentences. Make the sentences more exciting. Remember to “Show Don’t Tell” and don’t be afraid to be creative. <O:p</O:p

Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

Joanne was upset.

Joanne's eyes flashed at him, her mouth and body went rigid with fury. With her fists clenched and her face ruddy Charles couldn't help but fall a step back from her.

<O:p</O:pShe liked the way his hands felt.

Marie wilted at the touch of his hands on her face. A soft smile pulled at her lips as delicate shivers of pleasure wafted through her body.

<O:p</O:pThe king acted standoffish.

His Royal Highness moved with deliberate care through his court. The blank expression on his face, the distant look in his eye, kept his courtiers at a respectful distance. They knew that look, and feared it.

<O:p</O:pHe smelled her perfume.

Oh Lord! wafted through Rick's mind as Lisa's delicate fragrance tickled her nostrils. That sweet scent, like late autumn apples, took his mind back to their first happy meeting.

How's that?

And yes. I'm a wordy bastard. ;)

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Yes, more description. Why is she looking up from a distance? What made her look up? Everything needs a reason otherwise it is contrived. Give her an emotional feeling as to why she looked up. To quote spiderman--"my spider senses are tingling." http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/images/icons/icon12.gif

Lyn

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I will be drawing the winner for Heart of a Warlock in 15 mins, so you still have time to enter.

Good luck!

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Should have read: ...that helped me a lot when I was writing Centurion...

I'm still writing...they'll have to pry the rusted pen out of my cold, dead hand when I die...:zombie4:

Laugh it Up fuzball You are too funny.

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Oh...and before I get to yappy, I wanted you to know the lesson on how to research historicals will help me tremendously. It'll give me focus on where to start and where to go. Very useful!!

~Lisa~

You are welcome, Lisa. Just remember, we all started out new to the craft. So don't be hard on yourself and keep writing. You'll get it. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM

~Lisa~

Oooo...I love hearing those things. Mary D just emailed me with today's assignment and said it was a real helpful to copy a good writer's scene to see how they "did it." I really hope all of you will try this...trust me, it's an amazing exercise.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM
How's that?

Oh, Rob...you always make my heart melt. Your lovely words are never too long. You, sir, are a marvel! Thanks so much for sharing. :valentine4:

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Okay, I'm gonna try this. lol. Here goes.
Lisa~

Joanne was upset.
Joanne crossed her arms and glared at him, her foot tapping the gray tile floor.

His callused hands skimmed the flesh of her arm and sensation spiraled through to her core.

He smelled her perfume.
Jasmine invaded his senses to blend with her unique scent.

By george, I think she's got it! Nicely done, Lisa. Make sure you read some of your favorite books with some of this info in your head. That's a great way to see how this works...I ALWAYS grad a good book immediately following a seminar, just to see how a really good writer does it. It really helps to cement the information.

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Joanne was upset.

She gasped as his hands trailed down her thighs. Like silk, his fingertips, but so much better.

The king glanced around the room, his eyes pausing for no one, as he turned away.

He smelled her perfume.
He gagged. She must have taken a shower in Eau de Roadkill. He edged toward the door to make his escape.

FROM ME: my unsold story "Communion of Saints," Abraham van Helsing's (of Bram Stoker's Dracula) first encounter with a vampire. On his first trip to Hungary as a young student, woman named Erzsebet held him in thrall:

She stepped toward me. "I am so tired of this Milhály. Wouldn’t you like to speak of us?" She embraced me with a frightening strength and seemed to intend a kiss, though her mouth came no higher than my neck.

Then I was flying through the air. She flung me away from her as though I were no more than pillow. She howled like the hounds of hell as she fell to the ground even as I smashed into the bridge railing. Suddenly I knew what the splash had been. I clutched my rib cage in the splurges of pain that followed. The acrid stench of burnt flesh wafted around me. I knew the odor from cauterizing wounds, but I couldn’t tell where it came from until I looked down.

Erzsebet reached for me with hands twisted into claws, but something stayed her grasp. She threw her head back and screamed in pain and rage. On her breast was burned a cross, still fresh and smouldering.

Mary,

I love, love your answers for "showing". Well done.

I love the action, it drew me in but left me confused as to who was injured in the scene. The sentence structure needs more editing. But it definitely has potential. Keep writing, you'll get there. ;0)

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
The winner for Heart of a Warlock - third book in the Celtic series is.....

Julie Robinson

Congradulations, Julie. I'll be sending you Heart of a Warlock.

Lyn
xoxo

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Joanne was upset.

He smelled her perfume.

These are great, Mary - We've been talking about "show, don't tell" so take a look at your piece and see if you did this. Your story sounds like a lot of fun...I LOVE Van Helsing (especially when he's played by Hugh Jackman...yowza!) ~ M:theman:

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

Joanne's eyes flashed at him, her mouth and body went rigid with fury. With her fists clenched and her face ruddy Charles couldn't help but fall a step back from her.

Marie wilted at the touch of his hands on her face. A soft smile pulled at her lips as delicate shivers of pleasure wafted through her body.

His Royal Highness moved with deliberate care through his court. The blank expression on his face, the distant look in his eye, kept his courtiers at a respectful distance. They knew that look, and feared it.

Oh Lord! wafted through Rick's mind as Lisa's delicate fragrance tickled her nostrils. That sweet scent, like late autumn apples, took his mind back to their first happy meeting.

How's that?

Holy Molly, I love it. Good job, Rob. :rockon:

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I wanted to get a note to everyone that Delilah is having internet problems and can only receive emails. If any of you have questions about Regency, erotic, or anything else, make sure to drop her a note at delilahmarvelle@yahoo.com - Hopefully, she'll be up and running tomorrow. M:)

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Julie Robinson

Lyn
xoxo

Congrats, Julie! :smilingsun:

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
IMPORTANT REMINDER!!!! Don't forget I'm doing a grand prize at the end of the seminar (on Saturday) and awarding a $25.00 gift certificate to CTR's bookstore. In order to be eligable, you must post at least once during the week. Anyone who has posted during the seminar will go into the hat...ok, you name will go into the hat. Make sure we hear from you!

rgraham666
October 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Oh, Rob...you always make my heart melt. Your lovely words are never too long. You, sir, are a marvel! Thanks so much for sharing. :valentine4:

Holy Molly, I love it. Good job, Rob. :rockon:

:)

Thank you Minnette, Lyn.

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Julie Robinson

Lyn
xoxo

Congratulations Julie.

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Congrats, Julie!!

Lisa~smilies/bump.gif

Adrianne_Brennan
October 16th, 2008, 09:30 AM
A big congrats to Julie! :D

hollie
October 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM