PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Poll

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Oops...forgot to add the poll to this morning's topic, so I'll do it here separately:

What keeps you turning the pages on a historical romance?

candaceclayton
October 15th, 2008, 10:53 AM
For me, it is the detail of historical facts blended into the storyline. Gotta have a well thought out story line to keep my attention.

Candace

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'd have to say that it's any and all of the above. It's really the plot and how well written it is that drives me. What happens next? What's the intrigue? Where are characters going? Do they intrigue me?

Lisa Griffin
October 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
The cliffhanger is the main page turner, but emotion and conflict also keep me going. lol
Lisa

Lyn Armstrong
October 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I agree, it's all the above, but I really like the romantic chase. Will he get the girl in the end? Hmm, maybe, maybe not. LOL. Okay, if it's a romance then he will get the girl. But I still like the chase. A well-known author once said to me, once the hero and heroine are in love, the story is over.

:lovepounce:

Dani
October 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I voted for other because I couldn't decide between the choices. They all make me want to keep reading. :biggrin:

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I would have to say a romantic scene or a cliffhanger. But I like to read all the historical facts of where the characters live, what their lives are like etc.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I would have to say a romantic scene or a cliffhanger. But I like to read all the historical facts of where the characters live, what their lives are like etc.

Me, too. That's one of the things you have to really watch for when you're writing historical; it's so easy to put in just too much detail or not enough. I found out when I was writing my epic fantasies that there really isn't any definite answer to this question. Some people like LOTS of details and others like just a smathering. :wacko: That's where I really rely on my critique partners and my editor; they are wonderful at telling me when it's too much or not enough...and trust me, they have no conpunctions about it! :err:

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Most of the time I like a lot of detail. It shows the author has researched the time very well and it gives the reader an insight into the era and what it would have been like back in that period of time.

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Most of the time I like a lot of detail. It shows the author has researched the time very well and it gives the reader an insight into the era and what it would have been like back in that period of time.

Ahhh...a girl after my own heart! DiscoDancingCarrots

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I voted for other because I couldn't decide between the choices. They all make me want to keep reading. :biggrin:

I was going to say that :tt2: so I'll just say

I agree with Dani Laugh it Up fuzball

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM
:right:Actually, the poll is not very good today...not sure WHAT I was thinking. Let me make it up to you with a different one...any ideas?

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
it's not that bad just some of us are hard to please :whistling:

Minnette
October 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Some of you? ~LOL~ Nah, I hated it when I was putting it together...just forgot to go in and change it. Actually, it's funny...the poll is generating more posts than the topic for today...maybe it isn't that bad ~muhahaha~

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
well it is showing that it isn't anyone thing that keeps people reading to much or not enough of one thing and it can be bad for the story

rgraham666
October 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm another one for all of the above. Any can keep me going.

As far as detail goes, it's something that should just be there. If you wrote in a contemporary all the little niggling details of day-to-day life you'd bury your story under it. It's the same for a historical.

Mention what you need to to set the tone or to show what what is different then from now. But no more. It's really just background.

Adrianne_Brennan
October 15th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I'm another one for all of the above. Any can keep me going.

As far as detail goes, it's something that should just be there. If you wrote in a contemporary all the little niggling details of day-to-day life you'd bury your story under it. It's the same for a historical.

Mention what you need to to set the tone or to show what what is different then from now. But no more. It's really just background.

Agreed!! :)