PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Twilight?

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I just got the book yesterday and my oldest daughter is begging to read it. For those who've read it, would it be safe for her to read it, or do I need to read it first? If she has to wait on me it will be quite some time before I get through it with everything I have going on right now. LOL

Is it worse than the Harry Potter books? Cussing? Sex scenes? Etc.?

She'll be 12 in December.

Thoughts?

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Also, if it helps, she is NOT allowed to read the books I write. LOL! There IS cussing, graphic sex, and violence in my books. ;-)

Dani
October 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I didn't think Twilight was bad at all. If I remember correctly, there's no cussing in the books (any of them). If there's any cussing though you might see sh*t or damn, but I'm pretty sure that she was able to write it without cussing at all. There's no love scenes until the final book (Breaking Dawn) and even then the respective door is basically closed once it leads you in that direction. So you know what's happening, but not reading it. I'll re read that part and let you know about it, but as for the other books it's more of an emotional relationship with some light kissing (because he goes nuts if it gets heaver and wants to give in to his desires). I hope that makes sense. I finished the first three books before the fourth came out and I've read other books since them and even though I have a pretty good memory for what's happened, sometimes I do forget. LOL!

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I had heard that there was sex (and birth, I think) in the last book, but wasn't sure about the first three.

Harry Potter had more cussing in it than I expected. I never read the books, but she did and would show me words from time to time. I don't care for her reading them, I just don't want to hear them coming from her mouth. At least not until she's old enough to know exactly what they mean. LOL!

I cuss like a sailor when the kids aren't around. LOL!!

Thanks a bunch, Dani. I appreciate it. :-)

Dani
October 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Yes, there was a birth in the book, so you may want to read that to make sure that she can, but it still wasn't too bad at all. Come to think of it, there was more cussing in Harry Potter than in these books.

I cuss like a sailor too when mine isn't around, so I know where you're coming from. LOL!

You're very welcome! :biggrin:

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I loved Twilight. I have the last book of the series but I still haven't read it yet.

I'm with Dani there was more cussing in Harry Potter. By the way these books are in the young adult section here in Australia and I've seen kids younger reading them.

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I think they're classified as young adult here too. :-)

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
If she's turning 12 in December I'd say they are suitable for her. But it's your decision Christie.

What I'd do if I was you flip through the book, check out a few paragraphs written and see if it's suitable.

Just make sure she reads the book before the movie comes out on the big screen in December.

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, that's why I went ahead and got the book. I wanted to read it before I see the movie. I've been so intrigued by Sookie and Betsy that I haven't had time for Twilight.

Now I'm reading my advanced readers copy of Any Given Doomsday. It should be a quick read though. And then I can start Twilight. Boy that books thick!

I'll probably just make her wait. I like to be the first to open a new book that I buy. LOL

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
The books in the series after Twilight are a lot thicker.

ChristieSilvers
October 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm so use to the smaller, quicker reads. I was surprised at how big this one was when it arrived. I went through Undead & Unworthy in a week with only an hour a day to read it. I doubt I'll be going through Twilight as quickly.

I like to read several new books between each book I write. It clears my mind from my characters and keeps me feeling like I'm still a part of the world. LOL

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I just got them for Jojo for Christmas but i forgot it was going into the cinema in december i might let her have the first one and keep the others untill christmas

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
That's a good idea Hollie. At least she'll know what the story is about when she sees the movie. I'll definitely be going to see the movie the first day it's released. LOL

hollie
October 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah and i hate reading a book after i see the film it's better reading first.

CharmedGirl
October 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah and i hate reading a book after i see the film it's better reading first.

Yeah I remember I saw Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone before I read the book. I wish I had of read the book first.

hollie
October 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah I remember I saw Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone before I read the book. I wish I had of read the book first.

so did I which is how I know I gave her it tonight so we'll see what she thinks

CharmedGirl
October 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sure your daughter will love the book Hollie.

ChristieSilvers
October 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Let us know what she thinks, Hollie. :-)

hollie
October 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
She has her nose in it as we speak Laugh it Up fuzball

CharmedGirl
October 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM
She has her nose in it as we speak Laugh it Up fuzball

It won't take her long to get through the book. I remember when I read it I was at the beach relaxing. Laugh it Up fuzball