PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking the leap...with Sony

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
After much resentment on my part, I have decided it's time for me to buy an Ereader. Why was I against it? Call me old-fashioned, but I love books. I love holding them, I love the feel of them, I love the smell of them, I just love them. I don't see myself getting into stories from an electronic device as much as I get into printed stories. I like showing off all the books I own, having bookcases upon bookcases of books. I can't do that with an Ereader, it's all in a chip, what good is that?

Well why have I decided to buy one considering how against it I am? *Sighs* Because I can't lie to myself anymore. I used to say to myself that there weren't that many ebooks out there, that the truly good books were out in print, etc. Truth of the matter is, that's a very ignorant thing to say smilies/bath_shower.(I know, at leas I can admit it people). There are so many ebooks out there that it boggles the mind, and there are many authors who's stories I'm missing out on because I want to be stubborn and stick to my old ways (though there was nothing wrong with the old ways I say, hehe). So it's time for me to buy my very first Ereader, and I'm going with Sony, not only because I hear good things, but mainly because all my electronics are Sony.

My birthday is slowly approaching (Dec. 25th, that means double presents my way smilies/bump.gif) and I've decided to just have people donate to my Ereader fund, that way everyone chips in, and I don't have to spend all MY money. I figure by the time my birthday comes I have made a decision as to which Ereader to buy.

So this is where you guys come in...I need help deciding which one to buy. I was thinking about the Sony 505 in red, but the new 700 comes out next month, it's an extra hundred dollars, but it seems to have more features. Obviously since it hasn't come out yet, nobody can say if it's worth the extra money or not, but I can get feedback on the 505. Is it everything you hoped it would be? Does it do everything it says? Do they have it in Pink??? (Hehe) Is it worth the money? Once the 700 comes out, hopefully someone will buy it and let me know how it is.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
I have the 505 and i love it yes it does all it says. I love books and like having loads of books on book shelves. My got an ereader because i like cost of ebooks so now i have all my paper books and i add to the series as new books come out. then i have my ebooks and do the same. I also like the fact that i can take a load of books every where with me.

I don't know if the new one will be in pink but the 505 is silver but i have a nice pink cover for it.

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input hollie, I saw the pink cover, but I think it will clash if I get the ereader in red, lol. You also make a lot of sense about carrying a whole bunch of books. Since I always carry at least one book with me (usually 3 though, hehe) this will be a lot lighter for my purses :roflmao:

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
it's great fun sat in a hospital waiting room with it everyone keeps looking trying to work what you got but then again they only released them here start of september

CharmedGirl
October 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I've found somewhere else in Brisbane ebook readers might be sold. There is a huge Sony store I'll have to check it out.

Shelley Munro
October 22nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
Welcome to the world of ereaders. I think we all enjoy books! I'm in New Zealand and we don't have a lot of options when it comes to ereaders, which is why I ended up with a Palm Tungsten E. I love it but lust after the Sony and Kindle. I saw the Sony when I visited the US recently.

I really like the way I can decide I want a book and go and download it. The instant gratification is excellent!

Have fun with your ereader. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Shelley

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Instant gratification, NOW we're talking!

Well I was talking to...err....my friend (for lack of a better word, because he's more than that....but less than a boyfriend...agh...anyways...) and he said he was going to buy it for me! Whichever one I choose! :jump:

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Lucky you Saturn.

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM

Well I was talking to...err....my friend (for lack of a better word, because he's more than that....but less than a boyfriend...agh...anyways...) and he said he was going to buy it for me! Whichever one I choose! :jump:

Oh wow thats great congratulations

Catherine Bybee
October 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM

They're called "Friends with Benifits"

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
They're called "Friends with Benifits"

HAHA, I thought of that, but he's more than that too...he's my ex from 3 years ago, and we hooked up as friends w/ benefits a while back, but we got all emotionally attached, so we're kind of together, but not really because we don't think we SHOULD be together, but we act like we are, and we haven't dated anybody else (though we can, and we want to, but we just aren't able to). Agh like I said, it's all just a mess. We're in limbo, and depending on the day of the week, one of us will want to move forward, but the other will want to move back and vise versa, so we're just kinda stuck in the same place. :dizzy:

Maybe I'm in an open relationship???

Catherine Bybee
October 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
HAHA, I thought of that, but he's more than that too...he's my ex from 3 years ago, and we hooked up as friends w/ benefits a while back, but we got all emotionally attached, so we're kind of together, but not really because we don't think we SHOULD be together, but we act like we are, and we haven't dated anybody else (though we can, and we want to, but we just aren't able to). Agh like I said, it's all just a mess. We're in limbo, and depending on the day of the week, one of us will want to move forward, but the other will want to move back and vise versa, so we're just kinda stuck in the same place. :dizzy:

Oh, my... Sounds very attached and not at all an 'open realationship'. To tell the truth it sounds like a great romance novel. Possibly bordering on erotic. Humm???
Either way I wish you both the best.

Let us know when the ring is sliped on the finger.

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
LMAO yeah, all my 'romances' tend to be complicated, and worthy of it's own romance novel, cept they don't have happy endings. We joke around all the time that we'll probably end up married, but who knows, we love eachother very much, but we fight constantly. He's a Leo and I'm a Capricorn, I strongly believe that has something to do w/ our personalities, he doesn't, that's another thing we fight about BashingHead

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah the sex is good too! :notworthy: Innocent?

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM

It sounds like an open relationship to me I had one with the smurf for years

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
It sounds like an open relationship to me I had one with the smurf for years

I don't know, it's all confusing. Just today, he knew I've been feeling a bit down, and that I didn't really want to do anything for Halloween, even though it's my fav. holiday. So he comes over to my place today and says, "It's not right for you to be down on Halloween, it's not normal, it's not Halloween without you, this is like your Christmas. So Merry Christmas" and he hands this really cute sexy red riding hood costume. :lovey1:

Ok I've seen this smurf character mentioned before around the forum, am I to assume he's your husband? LOL because the first time I read a post and you mentioned him, I was like...smurf? She has a smurf? Like a pet, or is it a child, a husband maybe? smilies/blush2.gif (I hope that wasnt rude of me, I wasn't trying to be, honest.)

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
it will all come together for you sooner or later your still only young

Yeh the smurf is the husband he's a pest but harmless you can tell when he's bored cos my posts start showing up with odd lettersin them where he keeps just pressing keys when i'm trying to post

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Yeh the smurf is the husband he's a pest but harmless you can tell when he's bored cos my posts start showing up with odd lettersin them where he keeps just pressing keys when i'm trying to post

Ah ok, gotcha. Honestly though, I feel a little foolish, I thought you actually had a smurf. All I kept thinking was that I wanted one too, and where could I get one, and can I get a smurfette instead. Laugh it Up fuzball

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 12:35 AM
it will all come together for you sooner or later your still only young

You know what you should do when he presses a button to interrupt your post. You should give him a good clip around the ear and tell him to buzz off. LOL

hollie
October 24th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Ah ok, gotcha. Honestly though, I feel a little foolish, I thought you actually had a smurf. All I kept thinking was that I wanted one too, and where could I get one, and can I get a smurfette instead. Laugh it Up fuzball

You can have mine if you want you'll soon send him back

You know what you should do when he presses a button to interrupt your post. You should give him a good clip around the ear and tell him to buzz off. LOL

Like thats going to work Laugh it Up fuzball

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM
You can have mine if you want you'll soon send him back

Laugh it Up fuzball

I'm sure she would Hollie. Laugh it Up fuzball

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Like thats going to work Laugh it Up fuzball

Maybe bribing him might work then. Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
October 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
It might be worth a try

Kim Smith
October 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
ah. i am so jealous! maybe for Christmas.

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
It might be worth a try

You never know bribing could work. LOL

Saturn Moonie
October 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'm sure she would Hollie. Laugh it Up fuzball

LOL wow, I'll take both your words for it, so no need to waste the stamps.

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
LOL wow, I'll take both your words for it, so no need to waste the stamps.

No need for the airfare as well. It'd be an expensive trip from the UK to the US and return.

Gwyn Lacy
June 4th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I can't get any books not purchased at Sony to load on my e-reader. Is it that way for Kindle too?

CharmedGirl
June 4th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I can't get any books not purchased at Sony to load on my e-reader. Is it that way for Kindle too?

I don't purchase any of my books through Sony and mine seem to load just fine onto my PRS-505 Gwyn.

Gwyn Lacy
June 4th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Charmed girl I have so many e books on my pc that I'd love to put on my Sony 505 reader. Your Charmed girl--I'm huh? Girl!

CharmedGirl
June 4th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Maybe I can help you get them on to your reader. What have you tried?

hollie
June 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM

The sonys read a lot of different documents including PDF i have never bought anything from the sony store and don't have a problem putting them on my 505.

Charmed girl I have so many e books on my pc that I'd love to put on my Sony 505 reader. Your Charmed girl--I'm huh? Girl!

I think the problem is th eonly books you see in your library in the software are the books you have bought from sony. this not the only place you can move books from to put them on your reader.

there is two ways you can add other books to your sony reader (that i have found)

1. when your in the sony library software on the left is a list which is your library, books etc. the bottom one is computer. that is your computer and you can open that and look through the files as you normally would until you get to the file that holds your ebooks. then just drag and drop them into your book libary and copy them on to your reader like your normally would.

2. and this is way easier get an sd card put your ebooks on it and put it into your sony reader. yeah it really is that simple you don't even have to use the sony software.

hope that helps if not send me an email or pm and i will talk you through it, i've just updated my sony software so i can (no i don't use it and haven't for months)