PDA

View Full Version : E-Books

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM
How many of you read e-books? Do you read them on the computer or do you have a "reader" for it?

I'm not generally one for reading a book on the computer. I like the feel of a book. I like being able to take it anywhere and picking it up anytime I have a spare moment. Plus, I don't have the kind of cash that' required of a Kindle, or other type of reader that would support the same kind of freedom. :biggrin:

This is just my own curiosity as my three Alex & Fiona books were just uploaded to Amazon's e-book program (won't be available for a few more days though). I figured with all the talk of e-books in the industry lately, it couldn't hurt to have Alex & Fiona going digital. LOL!

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Oh, and another question:

If you do read e-books, where do you purchase them? Amazon? Or the publisher's site? Author's site? Other?

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Anyone? *giggle*

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
You are so funny, unfortunately I don't read ebooks (yet) and so I can't comment. But I'm planning on buying an ereader in the next couple of months, and I just wrote a thread about it earlier today. We seem to share the same sentiment about books. I too love them, love to hold them, love to look at them, read them, smell them, lol, etc. Just thought I'd share my strange behavior with you.

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
LOL Nah, that's not strange. I absolutely LOVE going into a bookstore. The smell of shelves after shelves of brand new books is just too much. I never walk out empty-handed. LOL Maybe that's why I try to stay out of them as much as posibble and just order online or borrow from the library. LOL

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I do I have the sony 505 ereader I get my books from mainly publishers as the sony reads pdf files i just get them, it can do word and other things ( i can get the instructions out and see what ones if you want.) I read more ebooks than real ones now but my review books come in pdf so thats most of my reading taken care of.

Dani
October 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm looking into a reader for my ebooks. Sony has a built in light now to help make reading in a dim area easier, so I'm going towards that. Right now I read them on my laptop and sometimes it kills me because when I move I have to move the laptop to a new position.

I get my ebooks from publishers mostly. I've gotten a few from the author themselves, but not many.

I still love my paperbacks and don't see myself going totally digital with books anytime soon. It's nice to go into a bookstore and look at the book covers and hold the book in your hands and turn the pages. I also love the 'new' book smell.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I would look at battery life and size when they add a light to the sony cos the 505 is less than a cm thick not sure where they would fit one

Dani
October 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I will. Right now I'm still in the looking stage, so it will be a while before anything is decided on. From what I've read so far it just said built in LED light for reading. I can tell you that this is the PRS-700 and it's almost $400. I about choked when I read the price.

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
No, no need to pull out the manual, Hollie. :biggrin: I guess most e-readers will probably do most/all of the formats out there for e-books.

I just can't see going all digital. There will always be something soothing about hold an actual book. Being able to physically see and feel your progression through the pages.

I guess all of that is why I waited so long to offer the books as e-books. But, I suppose it's inevitable.

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I can tell you that this is the PRS-700 and it's almost $400. I about choked when I read the price.

ACK! I would have choked too. There's no way I can fork out that kind of moola for an e-reader. Maybe I should check eBay. Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:39 PM
mmm i know i've said it before but because of the type of screen it has you need less light than for a normal book. Its really very clever if you get chance to go look at one and play do so they are amazing

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM
ACK! I would have choked too. There's no way I can fork out that kind of moola for an e-reader. Maybe I should check eBay. Laugh it Up fuzball

Thats where mine came from and I know Maura got hers from ebay as well and if you get 'new' from ebay sony honnor the warrenty

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 03:43 PM
I buy loads of stuff from eBay. That's where I got the middle daughter's pink mp3 player the other night. I love to buy from there, but hate selling on it.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
i used to buy book from there and games for the kids xbox but i've never sold anything

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Selling use to be almost as easy as buying. But now they've added so many fees and the process takes so long, that I just don't do it any more. I use to sell the girls' outgrown clothes and toys.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM
I pass the kids stuff on to friends but I get a lot of stuff the same way

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
LOL Nah, that's not strange. I absolutely LOVE going into a bookstore. The smell of shelves after shelves of brand new books is just too much. I never walk out empty-handed. LOL Maybe that's why I try to stay out of them as much as posibble and just order online or borrow from the library. LOL

OMG yes! Everytime I walk into a bookstore (or library) I stop at the entrance and just inhale the scent. I love the smell of books, new books, old musty books, aah. I recently discovered I have a book problem. For example, this last week, one of my customers brought me a bag full of books, and 2 days later I ended up at Borders. I was only supposed to buy 2 books (UP IN SMOKE by Katie MacAlister and DEATH PERCEPTION by Victoria Laurie), I walked out with $130.00 worth of books. All my friends keep a close eye on me, if they're around they won't let me near a bookstore. Especially since the last time I went to Borders (not this week, but about a month or two ago) I went on a rampage, visited 2 different Borders and spent about $300.00 in 3 hours. *Sighs* Well at least I don't smoke, or do drugs HAHA :whistilin:

I will. Right now I'm still in the looking stage, so it will be a while before anything is decided on. From what I've read so far it just said built in LED light for reading. I can tell you that this is the PRS-700 and it's almost $400. I about choked when I read the price.

Yeah, I was looking at that one today too. That's a tad bit expensive, but I am considering it. My birthday is coming up and if people just give me money towards the ereader I can afford it.

i used to buy book from there and games for the kids xbox but i've never sold anything

I have an ebay account too, I've never sold anything either. I bought a whole bunch of Alice in Wonderland stuff (my other obsession)

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
I have an ebay account too, I've never sold anything either. I bought a whole bunch of Alice in Wonderland stuff (my other obsession)

We all have one Laugh it Up fuzball

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Well, I have to say that your obsession far outweighs mine. LOL! Of course $300 is nearly a month of groceries for my kids, so I couldn't spend it if I wanted to. LOL!

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM
Saturn Moonie, are you the Book Whore? LOL! Figured since I just got the MySpace friends request... and well, you are kind of a book whore. LOL!

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Saturn Moonie, are you the Book Whore? LOL! Figured since I just got the MySpace friends request... and well, you are kind of a book whore. LOL!

ROFL Yes that is me, the book whore.

I'm not married or have any kids, so I don't have to spend any money on groceries...actually I really don't spend any money on groceries, my fridge is empty HAHA. I'm 22 and live by myself, so I guess I can do that. :wacko:

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yep, single chicks can pretty much spend their cash on anything they want. LOL Ahhh, how I miss that sometimes. :biggrin: Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
oh wow but at 22 I was married and had Jojo so i've never had that much freedom with buying books other than when i stopped smoking then i was allowed to spend as much as i wanted i was averaging 30-40 a week fro a while but it worked i've been stopped 16 months

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 04:44 PM
I was married & pregnant with #2 at 22. LOL I've been married since 17 yrs old, but I had a job and bought what I wanted and paid my bills (car payment, insurance, gas, clothes, etc.) long before getting married.

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah being single is great, but it gets lonely sometimes, hehe. I want a little romance outside of the books I read.

I keep thinking I'm better off just opening up a business with all the money I spend. If I had a head for business, I'd open my own bookstore, lol. I'd call it Just Romance, because that's all I would sell :shifty: That way I can buy the books, read them, and sell them.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
I got married at 22 but my oldest was 14 months old and number 2 was on the way by the end of the year. I left home at 16 so i new about bills and stuff as well mind I've only just learnt to buget properly

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah being single is great, but it gets lonely sometimes, hehe. I want a little romance outside of the books I read.

I keep thinking I'm better off just opening up a business with all the money I spend. If I had a head for business, I'd open my own bookstore, lol. I'd call it Just Romance, because that's all I would sell :shifty: That way I can buy the books, read them, and sell them.

That would be cool. Then the books you read would go into the "used" section of the store. :biggrin:

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
I got married at 22 but my oldest was 14 months old and number 2 was on the way by the end of the year. I left home at 16 so i new about bills and stuff as well mind I've only just learnt to buget properly

Budgeting sucks! But you gotta do it to survive these days.

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 05:10 PM
Yep I'm glad I've got on top of everything things look like they are going to get worse

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM
That would be cool. Then the books you read would go into the "used" section of the store. :biggrin:

..hehe...not if I'm super careful w/ them and don't fold them or anything, I can sell them as new still. HAHA that's wrong, but they do that @ Borders. I used to work there, and you can borrow books, and if you brought them back in the same condition you borrowed them in, you can just put them back on the shelves and not pay for them. Kind of ruins that fantasy of buying new books, you start wondering who read "your" book before it became yours.

Budgeting sucks! But you gotta do it to survive these days.

Yeah, I'm not that great at budgeting (I think you can tell though lol) But I always have my rent money, that's priority numero uno, and my bills, I pay on-time-ish :whistilin:

hollie
October 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM
the boarders in York the students just sit on the floor and read them go bac the next day and read some more

CharmedGirl
October 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
the boarders in York the students just sit on the floor and read them go bac the next day and read some more

If there was a Borders near me I'd do the same thing. Sit there read the book and drink coffee. I'd probably end up buying the book anyway though. LOL

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah they do it here too. It's encouraged actually, they have comfy seats and tables, and the caffee inside the bookstore does too, so people just sit and read for hours on end. I swear I've seen more reading there than the public library, haha.

CharmedGirl
October 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah they do it here too. It's encouraged actually, they have comfy seats and tables, and the caffee inside the bookstore does too, so people just sit and read for hours on end. I swear I've seen more reading there than the public library, haha.

Borders is sometimes probably more comfortable than the public library. Especially when one offers a place where coffee is served and the other doesn't. LOL

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
LOL yeah you're right CharmedGirl, and Borders is much quieter. And their pastries are YUMMY, hehe.

Kim Smith
October 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
I am just now getting into e books. I have won one in a contest, and downloaded two for reading. I do not have a reader yet, and since I am used to reading on the computer, it is not that bad.

Christie, where do you get the word counter for Nano?

ChristieSilvers
October 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Kim, if you go to NaNo, at the top there's a link/button for "Fun Stuff." Once that page loads, there's a menu on the left and one link is for "word count widget," or something like that. They have a bunch of different kinds on there. :-)

rgraham666
October 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
How many of you read e-books? Do you read them on the computer or do you have a "reader" for it?

I'm not generally one for reading a book on the computer. I like the feel of a book. I like being able to take it anywhere and picking it up anytime I have a spare moment. Plus, I don't have the kind of cash that' required of a Kindle, or other type of reader that would support the same kind of freedom. :biggrin:

This is just my own curiosity as my three Alex & Fiona books were just uploaded to Amazon's e-book program (won't be available for a few more days though). I figured with all the talk of e-books in the industry lately, it couldn't hurt to have Alex & Fiona going digital. LOL!
I read e-books on my computer. Write them on it as well.

I can't afford an e-reader.

The thing I like best about e-books is that e-book publishers, especially in erotica and romance, are willing to take a chance. They're much less locked into 'formula' that sells. So I often get very pleasantly surprised. Something that rarely happens with print books.

That's especially true with the stuff I write. My vampire anthology delves into areas not often seen in print books. Although a romance, it's also an anthology with the romance over several stories. I don't think any print publisher would have accepted it.

My latest is also an anthology of romances. But again, I did things a little differently. There are no alpha males and only one heroine could be characterized as 'beautiful'. I deal with things like rape, divorce and serious illness along with how these things affect the character's relationships. Again I don't think any major print publisher would have accepted it.

So I guess you can say I really like e-books.

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
LOL yeah you're right CharmedGirl, and Borders is much quieter. And their pastries are YUMMY, hehe.

Everytime I visit a Borders Store I never leave without buying a book or DVD and I never leave without having coffee. LOL

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 04:50 AM
I'm not allowed coffee in boarders the smurf would sulk he's bad enough in a book shop to start with but at least he still takes the money Laugh it Up fuzball

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 06:37 AM
I've never even been in a Borders. There isn't one anywhere close to me. I live in the middle of Nowhere, Georgia. LOL

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Everytime I visit a Borders Store I never leave without buying a book or DVD and I never leave without having coffee. LOL

Yeah me neither, but I think we all established that a few pages back Laugh it Up fuzball

I'm not allowed coffee in boarders the smurf would sulk he's bad enough in a book shop to start with but at least he still takes the money Laugh it Up fuzball LOL money is the most important thing to have at any bookstore.

I've never even been in a Borders. There isn't one anywhere close to me. I live in the middle of Nowhere, Georgia. LOL

:Sniffle: That's the saddest thing I've ever heard...:giggle:

If I ever win the lottery, I'll make sure to build a Borders just for you Laugh it Up fuzball

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
LOL!! Poor deprived me!

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
I bought 10 new ebooks yesterday and I've already read 3 of them. I read until really late last night. LOL

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
i'm not allowed to buy books again :sofa:

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
i'm not allowed to buy books again :sofa:

Why not? Are you in trouble Hollie? Did you buy too many books last time?

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
no they messed up The Smurfs disability money so everything is abit tight for a few weeks until they sort it out again

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Fingers crossed that they sort it out quickly.

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Wow Bec, that's a lot of books.

I hope all of the money mess gets worked out so you can do more book shopping, Hollie.

Dani
October 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Isn't that up near Cleveland, GA? My family friends live up there and it's definitely Nowhere, GA to me. I think they should have stayed in Cumming! LOL!

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've been to Cleveland... we took the girls to the Cabbage Patch a few years ago. However, that's about 4 hours east of here.

If you look on a map, where I live is almost right below Chattanooga, TN over the Georgia line. I'm 1 1/2hrs north of Atlanta, but only about 20 mins south of TN.

I'm still in the middle of nowhere though. LOL

Dani
October 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Dang! That's too weird that you're that far from Cleveland, but so close to TN and Atlanta. My friends are about an hour and a half or so from Altanta too.

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it takes a lot longer to go through the mountains than it does to go south to Atlanta and then back up. But usually when we go that way we are actually wanting to drive through the mountains. LOL In another week or two the changing leaves will be absolutely gorgeous through there.

Dani
October 22nd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Lucky you! We don't have seasons like that here in FL. It's just summer, summer, a month of winter and summer again. I want the Fall leaf change and a white Christmas!!! :hissyfit:

ChristieSilvers
October 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
I'd like to have a white Christmas too. We never have that. I hate winter, but I do enjoy a good snow shower. Everything looks so pretty covered in white, and here in GA you can be assured that it never lasts more than a few days. No worries about being trapped in your house for a month. LOL

But we really have gorgeous autumns here. Once all the trees change I'll take a picture for you. :)

CharmedGirl
October 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I'm never going to see a White Christmas unless I'm in America at Christmas time. It's Summer here during Christmas!

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Do you get much snow there when it's winter?

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
we don't often get snow that early it's usually January into Feb that we get it. Although they keep using the word on the weather but we haven't had any yet

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
That's how it is here, Hollie. Right where I live we're kind of shaded by the mountains. So anytime the weather guy yells for snow, it always goes around us. North and south of us will get it, but we'll be sitting here with nothing at all. LOL The girls hate it cause they want to stay home from school lik everyone else. LOL

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm south of York so we have the same effect snow all around us but nothing here. we also have a massive power station that keeps the air slightly warmer.

going to get the boys from school back later

rgraham666
October 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Here in Toronto, you never know about snow.

Two years ago we had a green Christmas. Last year three feet of snow had fallen by the same time.

I'm not going to try to guess what we'll get this year.

Dani
October 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'd like to have a white Christmas too. We never have that. I hate winter, but I do enjoy a good snow shower. Everything looks so pretty covered in white, and here in GA you can be assured that it never lasts more than a few days. No worries about being trapped in your house for a month. LOL

But we really have gorgeous autumns here. Once all the trees change I'll take a picture for you. :)
Cool!! I can't wait to see it.

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
They think we are going to have a good autumn here cos we had such a wet summer i'll try and get photo's in the village if i can

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
That would be cool, Hollie!

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
I'll see what i can do :lovepounce:

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I love seeing pictures of where people live. :-)

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
have you seen my York photos on myspace?

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Nope, I'll go check them out right now!

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Nice photos Hollie! I especially like the tower, Minister, and the pub. That's so funny that you even call your man Smurf in the photos. Is there a story behind why he's called Smurf?

Dani
October 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
I've seen those pictures. They are pretty.

I think I have some pics of around where I live on MySpace. I have to look again to see if they're there.

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
he's smurf on my phone and everything.

When we first started living together we lived in a big edwardian house (well 2 knocked into 1) and everyone was over 6ft except the 2 of us so we got called smurfs and it sort of stuck he even answers to it.

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I was expecting something about certain body parts being turned/painted a particular shade of blue, or something. LOL!!

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
no but i've dyed his hair purple

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Tim would kill me if I turned his hair purple. LOL

Dani
October 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
It looks funny too, but on him it's kinda cute, but still funny!

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hey, as long as it's cute, it's all good!

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I was expecting something about certain body parts being turned/painted a particular shade of blue, or something. LOL!!

ROFL you are too funny! Laugh it Up fuzball

ChristieSilvers
October 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Well, it was either blue body parts or VERY small body parts. LOL!

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well, it was either blue body parts or VERY small body parts. LOL!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::rofl mao::roflmao::roflmao:

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I dyed my grandma's hair green for Christmas quite a few years ago. LOL

hollie
October 24th, 2008, 05:06 AM
with permanent dye??

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Nope but the dye lasted for a while.

ChristieSilvers
October 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM