PDA

View Full Version : Up in Smoke by Katie MacAlister

Saturn Moonie
October 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I hope I can post this here, and I'm not violating any rules.

I just wanted to take a few minutes of my time and write about Up in Smoke by Katie MacAlister. It's the second book in her Silver Dragon series (which I guess stems from the Aisling Grey/Green Dragon series). It came out about 2 weeks ago, and I finished reading it a few days ago, and I want to burst! It left me in suspense, and I don't know how long till the next part comes out.

Anyway, if you haven't read this series (or the Aisling Grey) you really should. It's got your paranormals (Dragons, Guardians, Demons, Imps, Doppelgangers, etc.), it's got romance (really yummy sex scenes too, hehe). The books are just great, I also like the way she communicates with the readers. She writes in first person, and talks to us, not as if she were telling a story that already happened, but more as if we were there, and she's just making comments about what's going on, and what she's thinking.

Here's a little bit about Up in Smoke (I wont spoil anything I promise)

It continues about 6 months after May (a doppelganger and a wyvern's mate to Gabriel, wyvern of the silver dragons) sacrifices herself for Gabriel and the sept, and ends up stuck in Abaddon becoming a consort to the demon she was bound to when she was first created. So May and Gabriel have to figure out how to get her out of Abaddon without releasing the demon to the mortal world. Of course in between all of this there's a whole bunch of drama involving dragon politics. With the Black dragons trying to make their sept official again, and fighting with the Silver dragons (because there's some history between both septs, which I wont talk about), the Blue dragons are in the middle of a civil war with eachother, the leader of the Red dragons is stuck somewhere in Abaddon (I won't say how she got there, but I will say it happened in the Aisling Grey series), and so on and so forth. It sounds a bit overwhelming, but trust me, it's all laid out neatly.

So come on folks, hop to it, buy the book, read it. Support this great author, who wants to her book to do well.

Dani
October 22nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
I have it, but haven't read it yet. I've read all of her Aisling Grey novels though, so I know what your talking about with the other dragon politics.

CharmedGirl
October 22nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
Sounds good.

I've read all the Aisling Grey series as well.

I haven't got this book yet but I have seen it at the bookstore.

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
I haven't read any of them but her books are already on my list

Saturn Moonie
October 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Sounds good.

I've read all the Aisling Grey series as well.

I haven't got this book yet but I have seen it at the bookstore.

Buy it, buy it! Hehe, it's really good, and I was really happy that Aisling and her peeps are in the books as secondary characters. I love that character so much, I wish I were here. I want to be a professional, dammit!

I haven't read any of them but her books are already on my list

Well hop to it missy smilies/biggrinbandi hehe

hollie
October 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
oh I have got her myths behaving badly that was very funny

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
I don't have that one, although I have seen it in the bookstore.

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I don't have that one, although I have seen it in the bookstore.

It's well worth reading i will get round to getting the rest of her books

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I have a few of her other books that are outside her Dragon series, I think I also have one of her young adults (under Kate Marsh), but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I have so many TBRs, and then certain books (like Up in Smoke) come out that I've been waiting patiently (smilies/aah.gif) for and they get bumped up to the top of my list.

Dani
October 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
I usually do the same with her books. I have A Ghost of a Chance (under Kate Marsh) and Ain't Myth-Behaving to read along with Playing with Fire and Up in Smoke. I started Playing with Fire, but couldn't get into it at that point, so I put it down for a while. I know I'll love it, but it just wasn't clicking with me at the time. I need to start reading it again. LOL!

hollie
October 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
I need to get some more of her book maybe for christmas

Saturn Moonie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
I usually do the same with her books. I have A Ghost of a Chance (under Kate Marsh) and Ain't Myth-Behaving to read along with Playing with Fire and Up in Smoke. I started Playing with Fire, but couldn't get into it at that point, so I put it down for a while. I know I'll love it, but it just wasn't clicking with me at the time. I need to start reading it again. LOL!

Yeah that's the one I have (Ghost of a Chance). I also had the same problem when I started reading Playing with Fire, I couldn't get into it, until Jim and Aisling appeared. Then I realized that the reason I wasn't into it was because I was being biased. I love the character of Aisling soooooooo much that I didn't want to give anybody else a chance to be the heroine. But May is awesome (Aisling is just awesomer, hehe, she is the professional after all)

Btw, how's The Accidental Demon Slayer? I bought it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Dani
October 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Yeah that's the one I have (Ghost of a Chance). I also had the same problem when I started reading Playing with Fire, I couldn't get into it, until Jim and Aisling appeared. Then I realized that the reason I wasn't into it was because I was being biased. I love the character of Aisling soooooooo much that I didn't want to give anybody else a chance to be the heroine. But May is awesome (Aisling is just awesomer, hehe, she is the professional after all)

Btw, how's The Accidental Demon Slayer? I bought it, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Cool, then I have a chance with this book. LOL!

The Accidental Demon Slayer is pretty good. I'm about half way through or so and it's getting better.

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I'm loving Dragon Wytch at the moment. The next book I will be reading is Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. I've had the book for over a month now and still haven't read it. Total shocker! LOL

hollie
October 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm loving Dragon Wytch at the moment. The next book I will be reading is Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. I've had the book for over a month now and still haven't read it. Total shocker! LOL

Jodie is reading Twilight well when she's actually home she is

Dani
October 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
It's about dang time you read those books!!! Laugh it Up fuzball

hollie
October 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
At least i read Dragon Wytch :tt2:

CharmedGirl
October 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
At least i read Dragon Wytch :tt2:

I'm reading Dragon Wytch at the moment. It's great! I love Smoky.

I have to read Breaking Dawn next and then I might read Twilight again before the movie comes out in December.