PDA

View Full Version : Too much description?

ChristieSilvers
November 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Have you ever read a book that just has too much description in it? Or what about one with too little?

One of the books I'm currently reading... oh goodness, the first half was so full of descriptions that I almost put it down. There was hardly any dialogue at all in the first half. Luckily the second half picked up the pace and the action, sex, and dialogue pulled my attention back in.

It could be that this book is the first in a new series. So maybe that's why it's so descriptive. I haven't read a first in a series in quite some time (too many Sookie & Betsy books to keep my attention, lol). Maybe I'm just soured on not knowing a character before I pick up the book.

Soooo, all of this was brought about by the book I'm currently writing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not descriptive enough, simply because I don't want to be OVER descriptive and bore the reader. Hell, we all know what a night sky looks like, we all know what a full moon looks like, we all know what a chirping bird sounds like.

Sure, some scenes need all of that to make the scene "feel" right... urgent, sensual, exciting, scary. But, not allllll the time. Not through the entire book.

It's one thing to say...

"Her firece high-heeled shoes hammered against the marble flooring like a gun shot with each step."

However, don't repeat the details of her damn noisy shoes on the freakin' marble floor twenty more times before she leaves the museum. :biggrin:

Okay, so this has just turned into more of a rant than an actual question. :hissyfit: Laugh it Up fuzball

Sorry! ;)

rgraham666
November 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
De nada. ;)

You have to wonder what the editor(s) of the book were thinking though, don't you?

ChristieSilvers
November 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Makes me wonder something, that's for sure. LOL! I very seldom put a book down. I love books. But this one was sooooo close. The second half was its salvation.

Crystal-Rain Love
November 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think that's why I can't ge into many historicals. Those things are loaded with descriprion, setting... I hate when the characters' clothes are described down to every minute detail.

ChristieSilvers
November 6th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe that's why I never got into those either. LOL

hollie
November 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
not all historicals are that bad but i agree i hate books with to much discription in them and unless i'm reading it for review i usually put books like that down again. and if it's a review book of which i've only done one like that i make sure i let people know it is a hard read

LaurenMurphy
November 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I can't stand books with too much description. I get bored and start to skim until I find some action. Though I really love historicals!

ChristieSilvers
November 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I do the skimming thing too, but then I feel guilty about skipping and always go back to drudge through it. LOL!

Saturn Moonie
November 12th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Ok here's a lil story from me to you...

So about 5 years ago a book came out. I'd never heard of the author but they were talking about this book on tv. They went on and on how good it was, and told you a little bit about it, and they showed you the cover. Well the cover really got me interested, it was cupid's face (but at the time I was associating cupid's face with the movie Valentine w/ David Boreanaz :shifty:...but I digress...) I decided I wanted to read the book

Well a few weeks later I went to BJ's w/ my mom and I was browsing through their books (of course) and I came across the book...which we will call The Book from Hell (because if someone read this book and liked it I don't wanna get beat up or heaven forbid the author of this book is here...EEEK). So I got super excited, especially since it was 15% off, I begged my mom to buy for me, and she did.

I get home and read the blurb and get myself all excited. The book is (supposedly) about this 13 year old girl who one summer stumbles across new evidence to the disappearance and murder of her brother (that happened 10 years before) and she solves the murder. The book has about 555, and I made it to page 200 before I quit. I put the book down and walked away, something I've NEVER done. The reason why? Because I finally realized that I sat and read 200 pages of nothing. I'm not being overly dramatic either, the girl had not stumbled across anything, they only talked about her dead brother once. Everything else was just detail among detail among detail, that didn't even matter!

I read 2 pages about how her grandmother didn't really like animals, and they go on to give a few reasons why, and they mention some cat in one of the sentences...and then after they're done talking about this grandma, decide to give me another page of this cat that died eons ago that nobody needed to know about. The little girl knew nothing of this cat, it died way before she was born, so obviously it didn't relate to anything.

To this day, I haven't finished that book. I still have it, and I've tried to go back and read it twice, and I can't get passed the page I'm on because I walked away after reading 2 paragraphs describing a clock on a mantel...really? So I just get annoyed all over again. Thank you Book From Hell, you have tarnished my perfect reading record. (:giggle: Sorry for all MY details, but mine were necessary)

ChristieSilvers
November 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Oh my goodness, that sounds absolutely horrid! But now I wanna know what the book is. LOL!

Email me, if you don't mind. I don't want to ever be tempted by that one. LOL

christie@christiesilvers.com

ChristieSilvers
November 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Details are a big part about writing. People want to know what the characters like, do, look like, enjoy eating, etc.... But only if it pertains to the story AND moves the plot along.

The book I'm writing right now is currently on chapter 8 and we've already had...

*Sex in a cemetery
*A mystery man
*A car wreck w/ broken bones
*Death of a night nurse
*Tender moments between the main character and her f**k buddy
*Death of a family friend
*And a VERY arousing dream that left a very physical reaction after awakening

:biggrin:

All of that action is intertwined with details about the characters, their relationships, the things that the main character likes and dislikes, etc. These things move it forward and help understand why she reacts to certain things.

It's all in the details, but should not be all ABOUT the detail. ;)

Saturn Moonie
November 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Oh my goodness, that sounds absolutely horrid! But now I wanna know what the book is. LOL!

Email me, if you don't mind. I don't want to ever be tempted by that one. LOL

christie@christiesilvers.com

Hehe, ok done, check your inbox.

Crystal-Rain Love
November 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Details are a big part about writing. People want to know what the characters like, do, look like, enjoy eating, etc.... But only if it pertains to the story AND moves the plot along.

The book I'm writing right now is currently on chapter 8 and we've already had...

*Sex in a cemetery
*A mystery man
*A car wreck w/ broken bones
*Death of a night nurse
*Tender moments between the main character and her f**k buddy
*Death of a family friend
*And a VERY arousing dream that left a very physical reaction after awakening

:biggrin:

All of that action is intertwined with details about the characters, their relationships, the things that the main character likes and dislikes, etc. These things move it forward and help understand why she reacts to certain things.

It's all in the details, but should not be all ABOUT the detail. ;)

Um, make sure to notify me when that book comes out! LOL! You've got me hooked already!

ChristieSilvers
November 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
LOL! I'll definitely let you know.

Saturn Moonie
November 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
:yes: Let ALL of us know,hehe.

Wow look at your word count! WTG!!!

ChristieSilvers
November 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Actually the counter on here is behind. I'm really at 21,249 at the moment. I'm aiming for over 23k by the end of the day and 26k by the end of tomorrow.

I'm still looking to be finshed before Thanksgiving. I would be at 26K today if it weren't for having a horrible day yesterday.

Oh well, today's looking better. :)

Saturn Moonie
November 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Actually the counter on here is behind. I'm really at 21,249 at the moment. I'm aiming for over 23k by the end of the day and 26k by the end of tomorrow.

I'm still looking to be finshed before Thanksgiving. I would be at 26K today if it weren't for having a horrible day yesterday.

Oh well, today's looking better. :)

WTG x 2! You can do it, you're a professional. :)

Aww to yesterday, but I'm glad today is better.

ChristieSilvers
November 14th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks Hon! I appreciate the support!

So how's your story coming along?

Saturn Moonie
November 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Anytime :)

My story...well..it's coming...slow, hehe. I had a rough time Wed. I felt like quitting things were baaaad. But Rain and my Regional ML for NaNo really helped me. I figured out what the problem was (my lead male had no personal purpose, he was in scenes for other people's benifit except his own.) Once I wrote a few scenes without my leading female and in his perspective things picked up again.

ChristieSilvers
November 14th, 2008, 04:35 PM
That's great! Those hard days are HARD. I'm so glad you made it past that point.

So many people start NaNo, but only a small percentage will actually finish. I'm just stubborn enough to make sure I'm in that small percentage. LOL

Saturn Moonie
November 14th, 2008, 04:55 PM
:giggle:

I don't know if I'll make it, but I'm trying NOT to give up