PDA

View Full Version : Any crochetors around?

lcsamano
January 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I learned to crochet when I was little. I didn't really start doing any projects until recently when my mom and I prepared for a craft fair that was in our area. I had alot of fun doing this and have continued to do different projects. Right now I am currently working on dishtowel toppers that look like dresses.

Karenne
January 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I crochet. I am still at the blanket stage. I love doing it. Total downtime for the brain. PLUS, if you have arthritis...I think it helps...at least it does mine!

Have you seen the new shows on HGTV for this season? One is Knitty Gritty and the other is Uncommon Threads. They both have great instructions on how to either crochet or knit or sew or a combination.

I admit it, most of them are over my head! BUT I still enjoy watching them and learning some of their tricks and tips.

Plus..they have all of the patterns on line. And as much as those patterns cost in the store, that is worth it!:tt2:

lcsamano
January 29th, 2007, 12:03 AM
No I have not seen those shows. I am not a knitter unless I can use the knifty knitter looms. :lol: I have done several blankets for the children but I am really wanting to try to do other things. I would really like to make doll clothes after I do the towel toppers.

Karenne
January 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
More power to ya honey! You are more of a woman than I am (jealous here). BUT I do have a place to get Doll Patterns and the clothes to make while crocheting.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/dolls_clothes.php

:wub:

lcsamano
January 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the site. I will have to check it out. I love free patterns. The books are so expensive anymore that I usually just look online for the messge boards or free patterns.

Angewl_73
February 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I use to love to crochet, but my carpal tunnel makes it very hard to do anymore.

I have made blankets and baby hats.

I made my Sister-in-law Christmas Stockings with her kids names crocheted on them.

ladybecklyn
April 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
This is something I want to learn, but is there ever time? ;) Well someday, right?

Karenne
April 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM
You are just going to die laughing at me, but I read the book "crochetting & Knitting for Dummies" and then spent 30 minutes a night (while watching TV in the evening) and worked on learning it. 30 minutes..that is all. BUT it worked and now I do it to and am able to work on the project and watch tv or converse at the same time.:clap:

I will also tell you that if you get hand cramps or have arthritis..this is a great way to work it out and it helps make the knuckles become more nimble.:swoon:

maura
May 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I have that book too! I am also a blanket crocheter, though my friends and relatives aren't complaining (yet). It helps relax me and I can watch T.V. at the same time.

Dayna Hart
May 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
My husband teases me that we'll end up insulating our house with crocheted blankets, I make so many. I looooove crocheting. I knit, too, but...crocheting goes so much quicker, and I usually do repetitive patterns, so I can just sit and watch TV, or ride in the car and work.

I'm working on a crocheted jacket, now...or at least, I am when I'm not at the computer. :oops:

Karenne
May 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM
snicker..so you crochet in your sleep? Because you are one busy woman!:wub:

Dayna Hart
May 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I never really think I'm all that busy...but I do try to get a lot done. I need to get more organised, definitely!

I thought I'd post a link to my favorite pattern site in the whole world :)
Crochet & Craft Link Index (http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html)

For the morbid in me:
¡The AntiCraft! (http://www.theanticraft.com)

That site has the most amazing snowflake-skull argyle (http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/samhain05/snowballschance.htm) pattern. Yes, I know how odd that sounds, but since I'm a closet punk, it amuses the stink out of me :)

lcsamano
May 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Wow a crocheted jacket sounds fun. You will have to post a picture of the finished product. I am not that brave yet.

Angela Caperton
May 29th, 2007, 07:45 AM
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was very little. I did a few projects, mostly scarves of simple half crochet stitches (not really realizing I'd flubbed up the double crochet stitch until many years later), and some skirts for my dolls.

I didn't crochet for nearly twenty years, but then took it up again a few years ago and have expanded to making blankets and thread crochet ornaments. I have a long (LONG) distance goal of making a tablecloth at some point - but not today!

My mother knits and makes the most incredible lacy scarves and shawls that practically float on the air. I asked her to teach me to knit and I'm slowly learning. I can tell you this much - one hook is a lot easier to use then two needles! :)

Ciara Gold
June 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
many moons ago, I used to crochet a lot. I've made several afgans, but I haven't done it in eons. Hmmm. I might have to go yarn shopping this afternoon. You guys have given me the itch.

Anyone tat? I would love to learn that lost art. I have a piece my grandmother did years ago and it's absoluting stunning.

Karenne
June 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Nope don't tat. I don't quite understand what tatting is.

Pictures? Instructions? Anyone?

I am glad to hear that needlework (crochet, knitting, etc) is becoming a more 'popular' hobby. I can find more classes and more information and more 'stuff' that goes with it.

mumbles..now if I could only master how to do it RIGHT!:oops:

Jewel Adams
June 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I love the June Days, Crocheting is my all time hobby! I think I have crocheted everything from blankets, bedspreads, clothes, baby items, curtains and doggie coats for winter.
I'm currently working on my winter bedspread, it is ever so warm, I use the afghan stitch, which is like knitting with one needle, you work it on and work it off the long crochet hook.
I also have winter caps/hats and scarves to make for next winter.
I love working with all kinds of yarn. I'm afraid my fingers and eyes aren't too keen on working with the threads any longer, I do miss making dollies.
I've also tried my hand at spinning. I only have the hand spinner, maybe someday I'll get more into this end of the yarn.
Jewel Adams

Jewel Adams
June 4th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I have tried tatting a couple times, but I've never been able to make it work. I think what I need is to see someone do it, then I could make it work. The books just don't give enough details.
It is one thing I've always wanted to learn.
Jewel Adams

Jewel Adams
June 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I use to love to crochet, but my carpal tunnel makes it very hard to do anymore.

I have made blankets and baby hats.

I made my Sister-in-law Christmas Stockings with her kids names crocheted on them.
+++++++++

You know, I have Carpal in both hands, had them both operated on. They still act up, but I have found that I can do most the work with my left hand when crocheting. I hold the hook in my right, but it doesn't move, I use the left hand to move the yarn for the stitch. My right hand is always worse as I'm right handed so this helps and I can still crochet. I got the idea when I saw a film about how they used to knit in Ireland, one needle never moved they worked the stitches with one hand.
It takes some practicing, but it works and still allows me to do the hobby I love.
Also, using the afghan stitch and the long crochet hooks also helps take the pressure off your hand. You can do all the stitches with these hooks and the blankets that they make are wonderful for winter, very thick and warm.
Jewel Adams

Jewel Adams
June 4th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I never really think I'm all that busy...but I do try to get a lot done. I need to get more organised, definitely!

I thought I'd post a link to my favorite pattern site in the whole world :)
Crochet & Craft Link Index (http://home.inreach.com/marthac/links.html)

For the morbid in me:
íThe AntiCraft! (http://www.theanticraft.com)

That site has the most amazing snowflake-skull argyle (http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/samhain05/snowballschance.htm) pattern. Yes, I know how odd that sounds, but since I'm a closet punk, it amuses the stink out of me :)
+++++++++++++++++++
Wow, thanks for these sites, the index one is fabulous. Of course I collect all kinds of patterns, but this site just might clear out my closet LOL.
Jewel Adams

maura
June 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
You sound like me. My latest effort went to my obedience instructor who loves purple. Now two more of my friends want them, one is for Christmas, so I have time. My sister in law is really talented but she has eight (yes EIGHT) boys and a wholesale greenhouse business, so she really doesn't have alot of spare time.

Maura

My husband teases me that we'll end up insulating our house with crocheted blankets, I make so many. I looooove crocheting. I knit, too, but...crocheting goes so much quicker, and I usually do repetitive patterns, so I can just sit and watch TV, or ride in the car and work.

I'm working on a crocheted jacket, now...or at least, I am when I'm not at the computer. :oops:

maura
June 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
My grandmother used to do tatting also, she made alot of lace doilies that my mother didn't know what to doe with.

Nope don't tat. I don't quite understand what tatting is.

Pictures? Instructions? Anyone?

I am glad to hear that needlework (crochet, knitting, etc) is becoming a more 'popular' hobby. I can find more classes and more information and more 'stuff' that goes with it.

mumbles..now if I could only master how to do it RIGHT!:oops:

Kissa Starling
June 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I learned when I was pregnant with my son. Now I have just found out that my baby is going to have a baby. (His other half I should say) I am going to teach her to crochet like my aunt did me. Thanks for reminding me of such a great memory. I would sit and crochet at all of my doctor appts.

Karenne
June 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
awww...Congrats Kissa! That is wonderful!

So how did you learn? Just picked up a needle and started or did you use a book or a friend?

Kissa Starling
June 9th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I had an old aunt that never learned how to drive. She renewed her learners license well into her 80's. I drove her to all of her doctor appts. She taught me stitches and then looked at what I had done while she was gone. She started to teach me how to follow patterns before she moved back to Oklahoma. She died a few years ago but I will always remember her telling me to "yank it out and start over"! I miss her dearly.
Kissa

Karenne
June 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM
awww....what a nice memory!

luv2read
June 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I love to crochet but I haven't been able to for quite some time since I am busy working and going to school. I wish I had more time for it. I used to love making blankets.

BrendaBryce
June 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Okay, so yeah, I crochet and knit and loom to destress from writing. It get's me back into my family mode from SEX mode. :)
I do crochet something other than afghans, of which I'm always working on at least three. I also love to knit dishcloths... But this doesn't tell you about my unique crochet talent.

I crochet bookmarks as promotional gifts... Penis bookmarks.

I designed them when my first book came out, needing something quick and affordable to bribe... I mean, offer to readers. The bookmarks seem to do well.

BrendaBryce
www.brendabryce.com

Karenne
June 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM
cough...those book marks must be ....interesting. snicker...

:roflmao:

Dani
June 23rd, 2007, 01:33 AM
I crochet. I am still at the blanket stage. I love doing it. Total downtime for the brain.
I am too Karenne. I've been working on a blanket for my son for the past year (more like two). :lol: It's purple, orange and Yellow (he picked the colors). I'll have to post a pic of it (not that it's finished).

I was taught, by all people, my step mother, but I didn't learn more than how to do a single chain. I tried other things, but ended up making necklaces instead with what I knew (hey I was only 8 when I learned).

Karenne
June 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM
At least you learned at an early age. I learned a couple of years ago....thru a BOOK!!!

Man that was hard!

Dani
June 23rd, 2007, 01:57 AM
I'm still learning (with a book). I'm striving to be as good as my Great Grandmother. She could crochet huge blankets for the beds. I'll have to take pics of what she was working on when she passed so you can see. The stiches are so small and she had fast hands (or so I was told).

Karenne
June 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Which book are you using?

For Crochetting, I used Crochetting for Dummies

For Knitting...I am using Kids Knitting (yes a kids book) but it is a little easier to understand versus the adult books.

Dani
June 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
For crochet I'm using 10, 20, 30 Minutes to Learn to Crochet. The book even shows you how to hold the hook. The blanket I'm making for my son uses a slip stitch and double crochet stitches. This was one of the easiest books that I could find.

For knitting, I have a book similar to the crochet book, but I can't find it right now to give the title. I also have some reproductable pages from the Home Ec teacher at my mom's school (I volunteered with her) that she had gotten from Bernat. She got a class set of needles, yarn and patterns from them to teach the kids how to knit and to have them knit rectangles for Warm Up America! She helped me get going after casting on the first set of stitches becaus that was the hardest part for me. After that it was pretty easy, but since I haven't knitted in about a year it just might not be that easy anymore. I'm just about to get a kids book to refresh my skills since they are easier to understand.

Karenne
June 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
What a neat thing! And a great project!

I like the 'how to' books to have pictures like that. LOVE IT! It is a must have!

Okay...(tapping foot) waiting for pictures of the blanket

Dani
June 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I'll take pictures of the blanket tomorrow and post them or post an addy that you can go to so you can see them.

And BTW, if you tap anymore you foot's gonna get tired and the muscles will be sore in the morning...LOL.

Karenne
June 25th, 2007, 01:36 AM
snort..nope! I exercise it just for tapping!:roflmao:

Dani
June 26th, 2007, 12:19 AM
LMAO...Excercise it just to tap...now that's funny. Anyway, I have uploaded a picture of my son's blanket that I'm crocheting and my rectangle that I'm knitting. You can find them here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/546857456AhHtIS (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/546857456AhHtIS). If this link doesn't work you can try this one http://community.webshots.com/user/elfbell (http://community.webshots.com/user/elfbell) and then click on Works In Progress. Enjoy my pictures!

Karenne
June 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM
http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/58/458/2/16/52/2004216520084937107nuyYpW_th.jpg

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/50/550/1/49/77/2217149770084937107bMjFsI_th.jpg

Those are great! I promise as soon as my son gets home from his trip...I am going to steal my camera (note MY camera..snicker) back and post a picture!

Dani
June 28th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm glad you like what I've done. I can't wait to see what your work looks like. :turned:

wordsmith
October 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Have you seen a doctor about your carpal tunnel? I had to have surgery on both my hands about five years apart - AND I had two different types of carpal tunnel condition. In many cases, steroid injections in the affected area combined with temporarily immobilizing the wrist can help if it's not progressed too far. In my case, my left wrist was injured in middle school and was not treated. the injury caused calcium deposits to build up in the tunnel and eventually left me in danger of losing the hand altogether. The surgeon, amid wise cracking and bad jokes, said that the nerve was flatter than a piece of waxed paper and, had I not had it fixed, it would have severed the nerve.

My right hand, several years later, was the result of Repetitive Motion Syndrom (RMS) which caused the typical swelling of the tendons and tissues around the nerve - far easier to fix but it also required surgery. And, although it can return, I have not had a problem with either of my wrists in more than twenty years.

Get it taken care of soon. Your hands are too precious to take lightly. Can you imagine twiddling your thumbs without them?

Jennifer
November 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
My grandmother taught me as well when I was little. I have forgotten how to, but have wanted to start back up. She made the cutest little things and was so talented. She has given it up for the most part because of her arthritis.

Linda L Lattimer
November 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I tried to learn a few times but never could, my daughter does things like that, my crippling arthritis, has a way of slowing me down on doing a good many things

Linda

wordsmith
November 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I, too, have arthritis, Linda. It can be a real pain (pun definitely not intended). It started in my knees when I was in high school (I was pretty hard on my body) and progressed throughout until it is now in my hips, back, neck, shoulders, AND hands. But I also find that knit and/or crochet actually helps to keep my hands more limber. I ascribe to the use it or lose it philosophy. I do know that if I let my knees and back get the best of me I would probably be in a wheel chair by now. Obviously, I don't readily take 'no' for an answer!

Tami_Publicity
June 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Oh, we need to have more discussion in the Crochet forum guys. We don't want the knitters to beat us out! :)

hollie
June 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM
my mum has just started to crochet again she taught me the basics when i was younger but now she is starting to do more complicated patterens and things

Tami_Publicity
June 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Ah, I've been crocheting since I was 20. I was put on bed rest when I was pregnant with my son, so I had the church ladies get me a needle and a book from the library. I can do most things, I just don't have patience to do long drawn out things. So mostly I do granny type squares, and stuffed animals.

Dani
June 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I was taught how to chain and do a single crochet when I was little and I tried to do more on my own, but couldn't and wasn't taught how since my step-mom didn't show me. I relearned a few years ago and started a blanket for my son. I haven't finished though because I got sidetracked with something else. LOL!

Tami_Publicity
June 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hey, come on up here and I'll show you the rest, super easy! :)

I see you like HOUSE OF NIGHT! I wasn't super thrilled with the last book, only the last 20 pages got my interest, but the rest of the series has been great! I read the first 6 in 2 weeks! :)

Dani
June 10th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Cool! I'll come up ASAP. LOL!

Here's a picture of the blanket (mind you he chose these colors).

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/dani274/Odd%20Pics/5eb16b19.jpg

I was the same way with the books as far as reading them. I thought the last book was great. It drug along in certain spots, but other than that it kept my attention. I'm reading a book now that isn't holding it at all and I love the series and author. I started on another author's book that I love and it's going smoother. Maybe it's the mood I'm in though. I hope when I go back to the other book it will pick up for me.

Tami_Publicity
June 10th, 2010, 03:06 PM
What are you reading now? I have so many books going on, I don't know what's happening in them any more.

I like that blanket, the colors aren't that bad. They are very manly! :) I hope to get more into crochet this summer, which in my opinion is really silly since the yarn will drag on my hands. We don't have air in the house, so it tends to get a little sticky in the house. :)

But feel free to come on up any time. :) If you are ever in WAY upstate NY, let me know.

ChristinaCourtenay
June 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
... when I first got married (before the kids came along and I had time on my hands!). I made a white lacy bedspread - it took me 7 years and then I hardly used it because I was so sick of it :balloon: Haven't done any for years though, but you've all made me want to have a go again!

Christina xx

Tami_Publicity
June 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I don't have the patience to do that. The closest I can come to something large is to make it in granny squares and then piece it together. If I don't feel it is going anywhere, I get WAY bored. You are a better woman than I! :) Make small things and stuffed animals, and you will enjoy crocheting again! :)

Dani
June 13th, 2010, 12:58 AM
What are you reading now? I have so many books going on, I don't know what's happening in them any more.

I like that blanket, the colors aren't that bad. They are very manly! :) I hope to get more into crochet this summer, which in my opinion is really silly since the yarn will drag on my hands. We don't have air in the house, so it tends to get a little sticky in the house. :)

But feel free to come on up any time. :) If you are ever in WAY upstate NY, let me know.
I'm reading Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur and I'm loving every minute of it. I'm taking it slow because it's the last book in this series and I don't want to see it end. I'm not saying the other book's name. You never know if I'll start reading it again and like it.

The colors grew on me. But they are really bright when you first start working on it. It's hot as hades down here in FL, so I really don't like working on it because it makes me hotter. If I work on his blanket I have to have the air turned down real low so it stays cold.

If I ever get up that way, I'll let you know. I haven't traveled up that far ever, but I plan to one day. :)

Tami_Publicity
June 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have to keep baby powder by the chair so when it gets hot and sticky I just put some on my hands and keep going! It makes life much easier. We don't have AC here (we have a window unit we pull out when it gets really hot, but only had to pull it out twice.

Like I said, come on up any time. :) I love company. (That means I get to cook for you!)

ChristinaCourtenay
June 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
You're right, I should do some smaller stuff! I used to do a lot of little table mats and things, much easier. I just need some more time! So busy at the moment ...

Tami_Publicity
June 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
That's what I keep saying about my writing. You have to take some time for yourself too. (Mine would be writing!) I don't make time for myself to do anything. I think it's just an excuse, but i am slowly working around it. :D

ChristinaCourtenay
June 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I tend to work in obsessive cycles - if I'm writing, I'm totally into the book and won't stop until I'm done, then I'll do something else for a couple of weeks, like crocheting or some other project. Maybe not the best way of doing things, but it works for me! :)

Tami_Publicity
June 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
OMG, I do the same thing! I go in reading jags, computer jags, crochet jags, writing jags, and I don't want to do crap jags. I'm getting back into my computer jag which is letting me get my freelance stuff completed, but I really wish it would entice my inner muse out....but she's been a spiteful little sh*t lately!

ChristinaCourtenay
June 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
<LOL>!! My muse is fairly well-behaved at the moment, but shame I hardly ever have an obsessive desire for housework! So many better things to do with my time :)

Tami_Publicity
June 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Housework? You've got to be kidding me?! I don't ever feel like doing that!

How do you get your muse under control? Mine is just being selfish and ugly right now, she just doesn't want to work on the current MS, she wants to start another. UGH!

Jennifer Robins
June 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I just made two baby blankets for twins coming along in my family. I love to crochet. Started when I was little. Made all kinds of things over the years.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com (http://www.jenniferrobins.com)

ChristinaCourtenay
June 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure Muses can be controlled! But I find it helps if I allow myself to write whatever scene is really clamouring to get out and then I can put that aside and maybe work on the rest some other time. Then I force myself to return to the WIP. Not fool-proof, but nothing is!

Baby blankets - yes, love doing those, they're quick and easy!

HywelaLyn
June 16th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I taught myself to crochet many years ago, and have done various things, including a dress and jacket, and a poncho, which I still have and am especially proud of. The vivid patterning and colours make it lovely to snuggle into on a cold day. Haven't crochetted for ages because I just don't have time any more, but it's the only 'domestic' type craft I'm any good at. I was never much good at knitting and only sew when necessary. Crochetting has so many uses from lacy doilies to complete outfits.

Jennifer Robins
June 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have made many table and furniture doilies. One year I made so many for Christmas gifts my hands were ready to fall off. Most were white but a few in colors to match those with certain color scheme in their houses. It was great. I also have made many Afghans for gifts and for my own house. Still have them.

Jennifer Robins
www.jenniferrobins.com (http://www.jenniferrobins.com)

Becky Barker
June 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I've done a lot of crocheting over the years, too. I've made rugs, baby afghans and too many large afghans to remember. The most complicated was a white one with a gold 50th embroidered in one corner for a wedding anniversary gift.

My biggest ever project was a queen sized bed spread in multi-colors. Each row took about half an hour.Cheerleader If I tried that now, my hands would probably fall off. LOL!

Tami_Publicity
June 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Can't seem to get myself to crochet anything lately. I think I'm in my I don't give a crap phase right now. I need to get off my butt and write. :)

Jewel Adams
June 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I am an avid crocheter, not sure that's a word LOL. I've been crocheting since I was a kid and we don't need to know how long ago that was. LOL
I love the afghan stich and wow, talk about making warm blankets, they are perfect for Maine. You work on and off this extra long crochet hook.
Is anyone familiar with this stich?
I can do it anywhere :)
Jewel

Patricia Bates
September 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'm an avid crocheter. I make doll dresses, blankets, doileys, clothing, jewelry, iphone covers, laptop covers, wedding accessories, dishes (can't hold liquid but work for displays, candy dishes, bread bowls etc), hair accessories, and playing with pet accessories.

Dawn_Montgomery
January 31st, 2012, 05:31 PM
I Love to crochet! One of my last duty stations in the Air Force was Turkey. Most yarns are made there, so I was in crochet heaven! They have some lovely traditions, and believe that a woman who can't crochet will never get a husband. LOL. They were absolutely delightful to work with.

I suffered an injury that stiffened up my ring finger and pinky on my hand. Crochet helped me with dexterity, and my hand is almost as good as new. :D It's awesome to see so many crocheters. I hope we get this thread going again!