PDA

View Full Version : Companion Gardening Chart

Karenne
January 29th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I was doing some research tonight and found this really nifty chart and thought I would share for those of you who want to try out the Companion Gardening this year!:shifty:

<CENTER><TABLE class=emphasis-pub-lightyellow cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Table 1. COMPANION PLANTING CHART FOR HOME & MARKET GARDENING (compiled from traditional literature on companion planting)</TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">CROP</TD><TD width="44%">
COMPANIONS
</TD><TD width="33%">
INCOMPATIBLE
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Asparagus</TD><TD width="44%">Tomato, Parsley, Basil </TD><TD class=style1 width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Beans </TD><TD width="44%">Most Vegetables & Herbs</TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Beans, Bush</TD><TD width="44%">Irish Potato, Cucumber, Corn, Strawberry, Celery, Summer Savory</TD><TD width="33%">Onion </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Beans, Pole </TD><TD width="44%">Corn, Summer Savory, Radish </TD><TD width="33%">Onion, Beets, Kohlrabi, Sunflower </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Cabbage Family </TD><TD width="44%">Aromatic Herbs, Celery, Beets, Onion Family, Chamomile, Spinach, Chard </TD><TD width="33%">Dill, Strawberries, Pole Beans, Tomato </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Carrots </TD><TD width="44%">English Pea, Lettuce, Rosemary, Onion Family, Sage, Tomato </TD><TD width="33%">Dill</TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Celery </TD><TD width="44%">Onion & Cabbage Families, Tomato, Bush Beans, Nasturtium </TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Corn </TD><TD width="44%">Irish Potato, Beans, English Pea, Pumpkin, Cucumber, Squash </TD><TD width="33%">Tomato</TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Cucumber </TD><TD width="44%">Beans, Corn, English Pea, Sunflowers, Radish </TD><TD width="33%">Irish Potato, Aromatic Herbs </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Eggplant </TD><TD width="44%">Beans, Marigold </TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Lettuce </TD><TD width="44%">Carrot, Radish, Strawberry, Cucumber </TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Onion Family </TD><TD width="44%">Beets, Carrot, Lettuce, Cabbage Family, Summer Savory </TD><TD width="33%">Beans, English Peas </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Parsley </TD><TD width="44%">Tomato, Asparagus </TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Pea, English </TD><TD width="44%">Carrots, Radish, Turnip, Cucumber, Corn, Beans </TD><TD width="33%">Onion Family, Gladiolus, Irish Potato</TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Potato, Irish </TD><TD width="44%">Beans, Corn, Cabbage Family, Marigolds, Horseradish </TD><TD width="33%">Pumpkin, Squash, Tomato, Cucumber, Sunflower </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Pumpkins </TD><TD width="44%">Corn, Marigold </TD><TD width="33%">Irish Potato </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Radish </TD><TD width="44%">English Pea, Nasturtium, Lettuce, Cucumber </TD><TD width="33%">Hyssop </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Spinach </TD><TD width="44%">Strawberry, Faba Bean </TD><TD width="33%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Squash </TD><TD width="44%">Nasturtium, Corn, Marigold </TD><TD width="33%">Irish Potato </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Tomato </TD><TD width="44%">Onion Family, Nasturtium, Marigold, Asparagus, Carrot, Parsley, Cucumber </TD><TD width="33%">Irish Potato, Fennel, Cabbage Family </TD></TR><TR><TD width="23%">Turnip </TD><TD width="44%">English Pea </TD><TD width="33%">Irish Potato </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Linda L Lattimer
March 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Okay this is probably going to sound dumb, but I have never planted these so need help

You know when the eyes of the potatoes begin to grow, can these be cut off and planted into the ground, just like one is planting any seed?

I have quite a few on my potatoes and wondered would these really grow in the ground?

thanks much
Linda

Karenne
March 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
That is a good question. It really depends on the potato. Lots of the vegetables that we purchase from teh store are 'sterile' In other words, they do not reproduce.

When purchasing seeds, you need to watch for the same thing. Now, if you do not harvest the seeds from your vegetables..then it won't matter.

BUT if you are like me and do harvest the seeds of your best plants and use them the following year; it is essential that you make sure you have the right ones.

Be careful with potatoes because they do harvest LOTS of diseases and you need to watch what you put in the ground because you can taint the soil permanently.

I also buy my potatoes for planting from a reputatble and trustworthy company.

Hope this helps.

So basically..yes you can plant them if they start to root..and then just hope they do come up! :chatterbox:

Linda L Lattimer
March 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Karenne thank you so very much for that informative information. That is something that I really didn't know and it is really useful

Thanks again

and to all the happy gardeners, happy planting

Linda

ladybecklyn
March 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM
This is a great chart. Thanks for the info....

Kissa Starling
March 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
I was glad to see some herbs on here. That is my favorite thing to plant.

Karenne
March 31st, 2007, 11:54 PM
I love herbs. Plus some of them are great pest deterants!:clap:

ladybecklyn
April 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Herbs are the medicine of the earth! Love them for remedies.