PDA

View Full Version : Naming Names

Shelley Munro
November 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/wp-content/image-headlines/763f9244d7de78469757f90c7a50ebb9.png (http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/2008/11/26/naming-names/)

I saw this ad on TV the other day. Itís from my favorite New Zealand store, Whitcoulls, and it made me laugh because this name problem has been me for the last three weeks. Today, I sat down and toughed it out, choosing names in much the way this couple did. In fact, I used the very same baby naming book to work out character names for my new work in progress.

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/_rpAtrKnR4Q&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

</EMBED>How do you choose names for your characters? How did you name your kids?

Dani
November 30th, 2008, 12:03 AM
My son's name came about because I was watching a Phil Collins music video on the TV and I muddled around with his last name in my head for a few minutes, removed the s and said I like that, but with one L instead of two. My ex and I couldn't agree on a middle name to suit either of us, so went with the family name (mine to be exact) of Daniel. And so Colin Daniel is what came out in the end. Had he been a girl he would have been Jordan Elizabeth. Jordan because I liked it and hadn't seen it used in a long time and Elizabeth for my late grandmother.

Now my middle name is interesting. It's Donoe (phonetically said Duh-no...ROFL!). It's French and it's a friend of the family's last name that was spelled Donnoe. I was really insecure about it as a child and wanted it changed, but I grew to like it because it's unique.

hollie
November 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I don't know why Jodie-Marie got her name she was supposed to be Chloe but when she was born The Smurf changed his mind.

Brandon Lee was named named after the guy in Beverlyhills 90210 and the Lee is what my friends called me at school.

Joshua Robert was a name I liked and it suited him when he was born and Robert is for the Smurf

Stephen Thomas the kids picked and Thomas is for a family friend.

Shelley Munro
December 1st, 2008, 01:10 AM
Dani - I have an unusual second name, too, which sppokily enough also starts with a D. I've never seen my name anywhere and I'm not telling what it is. ;)

I love the story of how Colin Daniel got his name. Nice name, I think.

Hollie - your kids have lovely names. All nice and strong sounding.

Shelley

Dani
December 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Awww, come on Shelley, tell tell us your middle name. You've got my interests piqued now. LOL! I shared mine and I've never seen it anywhere else either.

Shelley Munro
December 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Dani,

I'll tell you what. When we meet in person I'll tell you, otherwise it's a big secret!

Shelley

Dani
December 7th, 2008, 01:31 AM
One flight to Kiwi-land coming up! Laugh it Up fuzball

Shelley Munro
December 8th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'll be waiting at the airport. ;)

Shell