PDA

View Full Version : The Face In The Mirror (Paranormal)

Elizabeth Black
December 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
On Halloween, so if you are a single woman, try out the old wives tale I mention in my story "The Face In The Mirror", for "Monster Mash" by Whiskey Creek Press Torrid. This is a real old wives tale, and I can vouch for it working. I tried it when I was in college, and I saw nothing in the mirror, but the next morning I learned that my clock had stopped - at midnight! I took it as an omen, because my first marriage was a disaster. I'm happily married now for the second and last time.

This excerpt describes the old wives tale and what you need to do to try it. I've known about this legend since I was a kid. Give it a try at the stroke of midnight on Halloween!

smilies/bump.gifsmilies/bump.gifsmilies/bump.gif

The Face In The Mirror
By Elizabeth Black
Monster Mash Anthology
Whiskey Creek Press Torrid
Word Count: 6,790
Genre: Paranormal Romance

Buy it now!
Whiskey Creek Press Torrid - Monster Mash (http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=344)

BLURB

"The Face In The Mirror" is a contemporary erotic paranormal romance based on an old Halloween-related urban legend. The legend goes that if you are an unmarried woman, to find out who your future husband is, you eat an apple and brush your hair in front of a mirror by candlelight at the stroke of midnight on Halloween. You'll see the face of your future husband in the mirror. I love basing stories on legends.

The urban legend says that if an unmarried woman eats an apple and brushes her hair by candlelight, while staring at her reflection in a mirror on Halloween, she will see the face of her future husband. Linda can't resist, so she heads for the nearest mirror.

EXCERPT:

"I have a surprise for you," Melanie held up the candle, apple, and brush. "There is a legend that if an unmarried woman eats an apple and brushes her hair by candlelight while staring at her reflection in a mirror on Halloween, she will see the face of her future husband."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"Don't you want to see what Jim will look like when he's old and bald?"

"I already know. Have you seen his father lately?"

"Hey, no fair. No picking on my dad."

"I can think of lots of better things to do than seeing Jim's mug in a mirror. Like getting drunk."

"You've hurt my feelings." Jim pouted, but he wasn't serious. He liked to tease Linda.

"We'll spend the rest of the night getting you good and drunk. Your head will be spinning so much you won't feel any pain."

"That sounds like a plan."

"So, come on?" Melanie shoved the goodies into Linda's arms. "You know where the bathroom is. Use the mirror over the sink."

"I feel very stupid."

"Good! That means you don't feel miserable. A step up, as far as I'm concerned."

"I must admit I'm curious, even though I'm a skeptic."

"I'm curious, too," Jim said. "I wonder what I'll look like to you. As devilishly handsome as ever?"

"Don't think much of yourself, do you?"

"Hey, everybody!" Melanie announced. Heads turned in her direction. "Linda's going to do the Halloween trick now. I have to see if this works."

As the crowd stared at her and snickered, she felt very self-conscious. What on earth was she going to see in that mirror? What if Melanie was playing a prank on her, something that wouldn't surprise her in the least? Some drunken asshole was hiding in the shower and would jump out and yell "Boo!!" while she choked on a piece of apple and died from asphyxiation. That would show them.

Linda walked to the bathroom, and closed the door. After a pause, she turned the lock. She didn't want anyone getting in who didn't belong there. She was determined to control as much of this little prank as possible.

The first thing she did was check behind the shower curtain. No one was there. Good. She checked the linen closet. No one was in there, either.

She placed the candle on top of the toilet, and lit it with matches she kept in the bathroom. She set the apple and brush on the sink.

This is ridiculous. She knew she wasn't going to see anything.

But what if she did? What would she see? She hoped Jim wouldn't be as fat and bald as his dad when he was sixty. Then again, she wondered what she would look like at that age. Probably like some shock-haired harridan with fifty cats who yelled at those damned kids to get off her lawn.

Linda knew she would make a great curmudgeon, and she wasn't even thirty-one yet.