PDA

View Full Version : The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry

lcsamano
February 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/covers_450/9781400030934.jpg

Has anyone read this book of poetry? I hear that many teachers use it for teaching about poetry. However, it was a recommended read for people who enjoy poetry.

troubledmood
February 9th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I think I must own this book..it even has sylvia plath in it..she is my all time favorite..where did you find this book? and do you knwo if it can be ordered?

Lainey
February 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM
It looks pretty good and comprehensive. I am wondering does anyone here know the best place to get a book of poems or poetry published. I only know of Publish America and their criteria I am wanting information because my boyfriend and myself write poems to each other all the time and we also write them for ourselves on whatever topics interest us and then we also write poems together. I want to do a 3 or 4 part book where it lists each of ours separately then ours together and at the end his poems he has made songs out of. It should be a good endeavor for me might be no money in it but to be published would be nice and in print if possible not just E-Book since poetry should be read both silently and aloud. If anyone knows of publishing houses let me know. Thanks, Lainey

Will_Belegon
April 1st, 2007, 03:55 AM
It looks pretty good and comprehensive. I am wondering does anyone here know the best place to get a book of poems or poetry published. I only know of Publish America and their criteria I am wanting information because my boyfriend and myself write poems to each other all the time and we also write them for ourselves on whatever topics interest us and then we also write poems together. I want to do a 3 or 4 part book where it lists each of ours separately then ours together and at the end his poems he has made songs out of. It should be a good endeavor for me might be no money in it but to be published would be nice and in print if possible not just E-Book since poetry should be read both silently and aloud. If anyone knows of publishing houses let me know. Thanks, Lainey

Lainey, I've had little to no luck getting poetry published...I've resigned myself to it being anthology filler. Phaze has floated the idea of compiling an in-house group of poets to do something, but nothing has come of that yet.

Erotic Poetry can sometimes be sold to a net magazine like Clean Sheets or a site like Oysters & Chocolate. But most of my poetry is not erotic. So it has turned into a me thing...I just write it for me, and if I find a place to share it? Great! But getting paid for it is not something I dwell on.

Lainey
May 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Anyway I did submit my first one so that is a challenge I met and I have posted 4 things on my myspace and yes they are for me but not too personal and naming names from family and friends so I thought them safe enough ths last one has to do with the telephone and a very important phone call during the occupation in japan at ehe end of the war. My dad had a PR army buddy set it up so the pics of both my mom and dad on either sides of the phone have them sitting there as he proposed from in japan mom said yes she was 19 to his 21 and they married with her turning 20 and him 22 I believe it lasted just about 16 yrs and 6 kids later with him dying young at 38 leaving hs 35 yr old widow my mom to raise 6 kids alone from ages 1 to 14 .. I felt it need to be said ... it made history ... so it was worth it he was in MacArthurs group and got home same and sand and married her soon after. So even if no one gets em I can post the not too personal stuff online for fun and to get it out there and seeif it impacts any other. Thanks for being an inspiration to me Will . I appreciate moe than you realize you are a good friend buddy ... and now to get working on your Junes Readers Retreat sight. I got the stuff Alessia sent and passed it on.. thanks again. Now to write it up if you would like to help we can do it in half the time .. just let me know I am here all weekendso we can get this sucker moving and ready for you in the coming week or so...

Hugs babe ...haha... Elaine and thanks to Alessia that helped us both out today too.

lcsamano
May 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I think I must own this book..it even has sylvia plath in it..she is my all time favorite..where did you find this book? and do you knwo if it can be ordered?

I found this book on Barnes and nobles and Amazon.com. I am not sure what the price is though.

Lila42
July 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yes, I found it at Amazon. com as well. It looks very interesting and educational as well.