PDA

View Full Version : Are They Old Enough?

Shelley Munro
January 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/wp-content/image-headlines/57446321547a6d60f36fe4f9d1b35564.png (http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog/2009/01/07/are-they-old-enough/)

A few years ago, I read an interview with Linda Howard. She was talking about her MacKenzie series. (The first book in this series is called MacKenzieís Mountain and itís just awesome. I remember the characters clearly, even though itís years since I read the book. The first line is ďHe needed a woman. BadĒ and Linda Howard hooked me right there.)
Readers, including me, were clamoring for books about the MacKenzie children. I remember Linda Howard saying that she couldnít write the story because the characters were children in her mind. She needed to give it time, at least a few years, before she could think of them as adults. Huh! I thought. How silly. This is a fictional world.

Fast forward to a few years ago. Iíd written several stories in my Middlemarch Mates series, but the story for the two youngest Mitchell siblings, Joe and Sly, just wouldnít gel for me. In my mind I thought of them as unruly teens and way too young for the naughty goings on that I wanted to write for them. My solution was to write other stories while they grew up. I packed them off to University while I waited for them to mature. They make a brief appearance in Leticiaís Lovers (coming in Feb) and to my surprise they have grown up. Oh, they still like to tease their oldest brother, Saber, and in Leticiaís Lovers they were plotting and trying to think of a suitable sex toy gift to embarrass their sister-in-law Emily and by extension, Saber.

Iím thinking that 2009 is the year for Joe and Sly to meet their match. They wonít be laughing quite as much by the time the heroine and I have finished with them.

I started thinking about this subject again because Iím reading a book written by Pam Crooks. In the first book the mother is the heroine and in the second book, the child is the heroine. I havenít finished them yet but it will be interesting to see how I feel when Iíve read them both. (note: there was a publishing gap with the books coming out in different years)

Question: Do you agree with Linda Howard? Do you find it difficult to write/read about characters who were children in a previous book?

CharmedGirl
January 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
No I don't find it difficult at all to read about characters who were children in a previous book because most of the time I wonder how they end up when they're older.

hollie
January 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
yes i do a book either has to state -5 years later with a bit of background as to what they did in the 5 years or as you have done other books in the middle so you know they are growing up. other wise they characters just don't match

Shelley Munro
January 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Bec - just curious - do you need a break of several months before the second book comes out or could you read the books one week after the other?

I don't know why but I really need a break of several months before the aging works for me. Weird, but there you are!

Hollie - I think my reaction is more like yours. I know that when I posed the question at my blog I received varied answers. I think it's interesting how different we all are in our reading. :)

Shelley

CharmedGirl
January 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Definitely need a break of several months between the books.

hollie
January 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
i can often read them with just a few weeks gap but it depends on how many other books and reviews i've done in the middle

Shelley Munro
January 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Nodding head. I definitely need a mental distance so I can adjust my thinking.

Shelley

Catherine Bybee
January 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Not at all. In fact I love reading about families. I love writing about families. It gives me a glimpse of the Happily Ever After... long after. LOL

astonwest
January 17th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The only problem I had was in the Patricia Cornwell "Scarpetta" mystery series, when in one book a niece was 10, and in the next she was in her late teens or early twenties...yet no one else had aged.