PDA

View Full Version : Blurb and Excerpt From Land of Falling Stars

ketadiablo
January 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's a blurb and excerpt from my latest erotica, Land of Falling Stars.

Released by Ravenous Romance, http://www.ravenousromance.com

Don't forget to stop by my web site and enter my contest to win a free copy of Land of Falling Stars, http://www.ketadiablo.com

Here's what You Gotta Read Reviews said about the book awarding it "You Need To Read" review.

"The author pens a story that is unlike any other. The characters are introduced as childhood friends who become adults with very complicated life experiences to deal with. The story takes place right after the Civil War when tensions run high on both sides. Emotions are tenuous at best and even more so when old relationships become new relationships. I was torn during the reunion scenes and breathless during the chase scenes. I loved all the substories and the minor characters that were such an integral part of the author's vision. Land of Falling Stars makes you believe in the possibility of retribution and the hope of finding your brass ring in the last place you look."

Blurb:

Penniless, her parents and brother dead, Sophia Whitfield struggles to save her beloved childhood home during the Civil War. Another bluecoat is staggering down the hill, but before Sophia allows him to rob and pilfer like the others, she shoots him. How was she to know it was Gavin, the dark knight of her youth, carrying secrets too horrific to imagine and a passion that ignites her deepest desires?

As Sophia discovers Gavin's secrets falls under his seductive charms, she struggles to know her own heart. Can she survive in the Land of Falling Stars, or will she lose it all to the horrors of the War and reconstruction? And will the Southern lady and the Yankee soldier be able to recapture the bliss of their youth - this time in each other's arms?

Excerpt:

Unable to dispel the haunting visions of Sophia, Gavin tossed and turned. He rose from bed for the hundredth time and looked out the window. His side ached, his head throbbed, and his brain had journeyed south hours ago. Jesse’s face floated before him. Blood seeped out the corner of his pale, blue lips. “Take care of her, Gavin. Promise me.” Gavin slammed his eyes shut and willed the image to leave. Trapped between heaven and hell, between Sophia and anguish, he stood on the precipice of a giant spider web. He should have died on the battlefield like Billy said.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
He turned to the sound of the door opening.Sophia stood under the archway, her slender body drenched in a pale shaft of moonlight. She wrung her hands, her small toes pointed inward. Stammering, she said, “I . . . I came to check on your wound.” She glanced at the wolfhound lying on the bed. “Defector,” she mumbled under her breath.
<o:p></o:p>
Gavin clenched his fists. He saw her standing in front of him the day he left for the war. Tears had pooled in her eyes when she said goodbye to him. Now she was before him again and he wanted to put his fist through the wall.
Arrested by her beauty, long moments passed until he found his tongue. “You didn’t come to see about my wound.” Another timeless moment crept by. “You should know, unless you leave, things will never be the same between us. There’s no going back.”
She took a step toward him.
“If you’re looking for prettified words, you won’t hear them from me. I’m not Jesse.”
“You never were.”
His resolve to stay clear of her evaporated. He strode toward her, grabbed her by the wrist, and pulled her hard against him. Her eyes flew open and a startled gasp left her lips. “You should be afraid, Sophia, you don’t know what you’ve started.”
“Gavin,” she whimpered and rested her head against his chest. “I can’t fight it anymore. I don’t know what’s happening, I don’t care.” A tear slid down her cheek. “I want you, I need you.”
That ruined him. He swept her into his arms, carried her to the bed and knelt over her with his knees straddling her hips. He gave a command to Ricochet, and the dog slithered from the bed. His mouth came down on hers, rough and demanding. He moved on to her neck and shoulders, smothering her with desperate, urgent kisses amidst her sobs.
He stopped and looked at her. “Last chance, Sophia.”
She shook her head and closed her eyes. Thank God. He didn’t know what he’d do if she changed her mind now. The buttons of her nightshirt flew through the air when he ripped it down the middle.
Her eyes flew open and she placed a hand against his chest. “Gavin?”
He drew a deep breath. He had to get a hold of his emotions, couldn’t take her brutally despite his ravenous hunger. Not her first time. Whatever had pitched him into the ashen waters of despair—the war, Jesse, his love for her—it wasn’t her fault.
“I’m not the same man who left to fight in this godforsaken war.” His voice broke under the strain. “Things happened; I saw and did things you could never understand.”
She slid her hand from his chest and touched his cheek. “It’s all right, Gavin. I know―”
“You don’t know, Sophia, and if you did, you’d hate me.”<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>