PDA

View Full Version : Romance Roundtable Review

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
February 26th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I came across this review today, and I was flabbergasted by it. I'm thrilled by all the nice things the reviewer said, but what really impressed me was how well she was able to describe the plot of my novel so accurately within the length of a review!

Here is the review as written (and I swear I do not know this person, she's not a relative, and no money exchanged hands, LOL). :notworthy:

The review:

Passion, intrigue, murder . . . love.

Just from the description of this debut novel by Lisa Marie Wilkinson, I knew I would love it. A heroine who finds herself drugged and trapped in Bedlam; a hero intent on finding the woman who has betrayed him; a villain who will stop at absolutely nothing to get what he wants.

These are the ingredients for a phenomenal book, ingredients Wilkinson has blended together beautifully. Picture a dark, dank cell. Rats scurry in the corner. A young woman, drifting in and out of a drug-induced delirium, hovers against a stone wall. A soft voice whispers a mantra of truth that loses its reality with each passing day.

“I am sane.”
“I am eight and ten.”
“I am Rachel Penrose.”

She is Rachel Penrose, a young woman wrongfully committed to Bedlam by her uncle, the man who plans to kill her infant brother if she cannot find a way to escape this hell. But her energy is waning, her mind is consumed with the laudanum forced upon her, and she is only vaguely aware when a young man pulls her from her prison and she ends up in the arms of the one man who has sworn to seek retribution for her betrayal.

Sebastién Falconer.

Sebastién is as proud of his French heritage as he is of his ability to smuggle much needed goods between France and England. But now an English Customs official is breathing down his neck. A man who knows his identity; a man who knows his face. His brother. His twin. Despite the long years of enmity between the two men, Jacques has found a new reason to hate Sebastién. Rachel Penrose has given witness to his supposed crimes.

But has she?

Thrown together as enemies, Sebastién and Rachel must search for the truth, even as their bodies and their hearts rage against the mutual distrust they cannot fully overcome. The web of deceit in which these two find themselves has a complex design. Years of mistrust and misunderstanding and lies must be unraveled before the truth can be revealed, before these two young lovers can discover the trust they will need to secure their salvation, before they can succumb to the passions sparked in a

Fire at Midnight.

A masterful storyteller, Wilkinson has created a fast-paced tale with superbly drawn characters who will keep the reader’s fire burning long into the darkest night. Securing its place in the world of historical romance, Lisa Marie Wilkinson’s Fire at Midnight is a must read.

--Review by Madison James of Romance Roundtable

rebelheart
February 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
This is a beautiful review, Lisa Marie. Congratulations on your upcoming release. I stopped by your site to enter your contest. Did I ever mention that I'd love to live in a lighthouse?
:walking1:
Julie

Shelley Munro
February 26th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Congratulations on the wonderful review Lisa Marie. You should be proud of it!

Shelley

CharmedGirl
February 28th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Congrats on the awesome review Lisa Marie.